• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Level 5's PSP game revealed (LOLZ PSP'S NOT DEAD?)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Level 5 + SRPG? Had it been an action RPG I wouldn't be so hesitant, but strategy RPG?! Have they even touched that (sub-)genre before? I don't get why people are so confident they'll deliver...I say we'll see.

Troidal

Zyid said:
If it only had some engaging gameplay...or any gameplay at all, come to that...I'd chalk it up as another reason to get the 360. As is though, Trusty Bell stands alone.

Well all I know about this game is that you are the producer of the idol(s), and it is in your power to raise them and make them a star. You have to keep their schedule from voice lessons, dance lessons to auditions, etc. If you leave them on their own (as in not play the game for days), they won't perform so well. Almost like a virtual pet game, in theory.

Adding Xbox Live functionality to this may be an interesting "online" title :D

kenta

Has no PEINS
Kiriku said:
Level 5 + SRPG? Had it been an action RPG I wouldn't be so hesitant, but strategy RPG?! Have they even touched that (sub-)genre before? I don't get why people are so confident they'll deliver...I say we'll see.
Yeah but they've pretty much proved themselves to be competent. Enough for us to warrant excitement at the very least

ethelred

Kiriku said:

No, they haven't done an SRPG before, but given their consistent level of quality with their post-Dark Cloud 1 games, I'm going to be confident. Level 5 is a ****-awesome development studio and there's no reason why they won't bring their golden touch to SRPGs.

Jonnyram

Reviews of interest:

PS2
Sengoku Basara 2 8/8/9/9
The Chikyuu Boueigun Tactics 3/5/6/5
True Crime 8/8/8/8
Brothers in Arms 6/7/8/9
Kamaitachi 3 9/8/8/8
Blood+ 7/6/6/6

Bullet Witch 8/6/6/7
Senko no Ronde 7/9/8/8
Shutoku Battle X 8/8/8/8
Zegapain 7/6/6/6

GBA
Orbital 7/9/6/7
Coloris 7/4/6/6
Soundvoyager 8/6/6/8
Digidrive 8/7/6/7

PSP
Derby Stallion P 8/8/8/8

DS
Game of Life DS 6/5/7/6
Mushiking 2 8/7/8/8
Mario Basketball 7/8/7/8
Tamagotchi 2 7/6/8/7

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
ethelred said:
No, they haven't done an SRPG before, but given their consistent level of quality with their post-Dark Cloud 1 games, I'm going to be confident. Level 5 is a ****-awesome development studio and there's no reason why they won't bring their golden touch to SRPGs.

Consistent level...was Rogue Galaxy really such a great game? I recall impressions being kinda mixed here at GAF at least. And how much of Dragon Quest VIII did they actually create? Maybe I'm totally remembering it wrong, but I thought they only handled the graphics in that game?
I'll admit Dark Cloud 2 was great though! But these are the only games they've given us post-Dark Cloud 1.

Level 5 - **** yeah!
Comin round to save Sony's mother****ing bacon!

Now my only real problem is whether to get a used PSP or a PSP2.

Jonnyram

Tabris said:
Didn't the JP crew give it a bad review?
Famitsu liked it, but the 2ch vibe was not so hot. Especially compared to the competition at that time of year (Colossus, Yakuza, etc.)

Tabris

What was wrong with it though? I want to know whether I should pre-order it or not.

I had faith in level 5 but then the JP crew gave it a bad review.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I don't get how Rogue Galaxy can be anything but great. It's what would happen if Kingdom Hearts 2 had sex with Final Fantasy XII and let Star Wars raise the child.

ethelred

Tabris said:
What was wrong with it though? I want to know whether I should pre-order it or not.

I had faith in level 5 but then the JP crew gave it a bad review.

I trust Level 5 far more than the mercurial (and often shallow, sorry to say) JP GAF crew. :)

Level 5 is awesome, preorder Rogue Galaxy.

Ponn

Banned
kenta said:
I don't get how Rogue Galaxy can be anything but great. It's what would happen if Kingdom Hearts 2 had sex with Final Fantasy XII and let Star Wars raise the child.

I want to play it too, but it looks nothing like you described.

Striek

Tabris said:
Didn't the JP crew give it a bad review?
IIRC it was the dungeon-crawling aspect. Which is legit, because DC/2 suffered badly because of it. Personally, I've never finished DC2 because of it.

36/40 from Famitsu and ~90 from Degenki for Rogue Galaxy though.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jonnyram said:
Bullet Witch 8/6/6/7
Senko no Ronde 7/9/8/8
Shutoku Battle X 8/8/8/8
Zegapain 7/6/6/6
Damn, that's a pretty bad score for Bullet Witch. I know it's Cavia so I should not have gotten my hopes too high, but the last few gameplay videos were nice.
I'm starting to wonder if I should order Shutoku Battle X after all...
As for Idolmaster, this was my reaction o_O. I know this is a popular arcade game in Japan, but still...

Striek

Oblivion said:
Seems this game got Namco'd. :(
What scores did the normal mario sports games on GC get? Apart from Golf+Tennis on GB (which rock), I'd say thats a decent if not tad generous score (the 8s anyway).

Zeed

Banned
Striek said:
What scores did the normal mario sports games on GC get?
Bad comparison! Check out something like Mario Golf or Mario Tennis on GBA. Yeah, that's what it should be like!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Striek said:
What scores did the normal mario sports games on GC get? Apart from Golf+Tennis on GB (which rock), I'd say thats a decent if not tad generous score.

The Camelot games were awesome, and they would get 8s and 9s. I'm not 100% sure for Mario Baseball, but there were quite a few 7s in there (someone else can confirm).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if famitsu gave sevens to a square/nintendo collaboration on ds, it must be the most reprehensible shit ever.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Ponn01 said:
I just don't recall seeing Mickey or Chewbacca in any screenshots.
How could that have gone so far over your head? I was talking about how the gameplay style seems to be a mix of KH2 and FFXII with a sci-fi theme (which is where Star Wars enters the picture). Honestly now

Blimblim said:
Damn, that's a pretty bad score for Bullet Witch. I know it's Cavia so I should not have gotten my hopes too high, but the last few gameplay videos were nice.
As for Idolmaster, this was my reaction o_O. I know this is a popular arcade game in Japan, but still...

Blimblim, watch the opening video for Drag-on Dragoon 2. You see the gameplay in that video and you think you're in for a real treat, but that's pretty much where the treat ends. Cavia does a great job on making their games look a lot more interesting than they really are.

Zeed

Banned
kenta said:
How could that have gone so far over your head? I was talking about how the gameplay style seems to be a mix of KH2 and FFXII with a sci-fi theme (which is where Star Wars enters the picture). Honestly now
I think it's pretty obvious that he was being facetous, either that or drunk.

I'm so hungry right now.

mutsu

Jonnyram said:
Reviews of interest:
GBA
Orbital 7/9/6/7
Coloris 7/4/6/6
Soundvoyager 8/6/6/8
Digidrive 8/7/6/7

Very mixed reviews. I wonder which will be the best of this bunch.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
2006 already is the year of the PSP. :p

Jonnyram said:
Bullet Witch 8/6/6/7
Senko no Ronde 7/9/8/8
Shutoku Battle X 8/8/8/8
Zegapain 7/6/6/6

What is the difference between Senko No Ronde and Zegapain? I swear they look LIKE THE SAME GAME. :)

But wow...I might actually be buying four JAPANESE XBOX 360 games next week. Never thought I'd be saying that.

Jonnyram said:
Blood+ Souyoku Battle Rinbukyoku (PS2, Sony): 7 / 6 / 6 / 6 - (25/40)
Phew, its the sony one.

Btw, lol at L5 SRPG......and I thought it would be SRT.
Well, I like to be wrong this time, looks like a nice purchase for a 2007 PSP or PSP1.1 :)

Oh, this from gamefront...
Einige Charakter und ihre Synchronsprecher sind bereits bekannt: Jeanne d'Arc (Maaya Sakamoto), Roget (Akira Ishida) und LeAnn (Mamiko Noto). Weitere Details liegen noch nicht vor. Release: TBA

Akira Ishida...I remember it from something...but from what...

Blimblim said:

yes is a very low score, after having watched the last video my hopes were high too. but i see also a 32/40 for true crime:ny, i will never understand japanese voting criteria.

Uh-oh no time to translate but...

TGS: Ken Kutaragi hält Grundsatzrede

19.07.06 - Die CESA gibt bekannt, dass Sony Computer Entertainment Präsident Ken Kutaragi auf der Tokyo Game Show am 22.09.06 ab 10 Uhr eine Grundsatzrede zum Thema 'Die PS3 erschafft die nächste Generation der Unterhaltung' halten wird.

Neues Original-RPG auf Tokyo Game Show

19.07.06 - Die Famitsu schreibt in ihrer Gerüchterubrik, dass auf der Tokyo Game Show ein neues Original RPG für die Xbox 360 vorgestellt werden soll. Einer der Autoren soll auch berühmte Phantasie-Romane geschrieben haben. Release: TBA

Kutaragi speech and new RPG for X360...

Top Bottom