• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: New Nintendo 3DS sold over 230k during launch week-end.

Anyone else think that Nintendo can pass the 20 million 3DS's sold mark in Japan, by the end of 2014?

According to the latest Media Create figures, almost 16.5 million 3DS's have been sold. Add in the estimate 240K units sold in just the weekend since the launch of the "New 3DS" models...I think it's actually possible.

uh

no, not even DS could pull off 3.5m in that short of a time

Rich!

I could bet my avatar on it coming. Even if its a Gamestop exclusive, I'm sure it will come.

BELIEVE.

I dunno. You guys in America haven't even got the White XL yet, have you? Even though we've had it in Europe for three years now.

NOA just doesn't seem to care.

ramyeon

Yeah, helped is definitely a better word. Don't doubt that the LL is more popular, but I would have guessed that the normal size w/ face plates wouldn't be stomped like that. We'll see if it keeps up.
I would assume that the LL is more popular with a crowd that are more likely to be day one (Or week one, rather) adopters. The regular sized N3DS seems pretty heavily aimed at a more casual crowd as well as younger gamers. Seems like it'll be a more steady seller.
I could bet my avatar on it coming. Even if its a Gamestop exclusive, I'm sure it will come.

BELIEVE.
You guys didn't even get the White XL, let alone the past Monster Hunter 4 limited edition XLs. Wouldn't count on it.

Sorry.

SalvaPot

I dunno. You guys in America haven't even got the White XL yet, have you? Even though we've had it in Europe for three years now.

NOA just doesn't seem to care.

Hmm, true... Oh well, I could settle with a Black One. But this got me thinking, what game can they use to launch the New 3DS on NA? Monster Hunter is not as big here as its over at Japan, and the only game I can think off is the Xenoblade port, but I'm sure that is not coming until mid/late 2015.

Smash is the only one I could think of, if NOA releases a unique Smash New 3DS with the launch that could really get the ball rolling.

But knowing them they would just go ahead and release just plain Red and Blue versions... again.

ramyeon

Cover plates don't interest me too much. I'll buy a New XL once they release a matte white version like my current XL. Until then I'll be fine with the regular sized New 3DS :p
Hmm, true... Oh well, I could settle with a Black One. But this got me thinking, what game can they use to launch the New 3DS on NA? Monster Hunter is not as big here as its over at Japan, and the only game I can think off is the Xenoblade port, but I'm sure that is not coming until mid/late 2015.

Smash is the only one I could think of, if NOA releases a unique Smash New 3DS with the launch that could really get the ball rolling.

But knowing them they would just go ahead and release just plain Red and Blue versions... again.
They're not launching it with any particular game here in Australia next month either.

They'll probably just release the metallic Black and Blue New XLs there like they did in Japan and here in Australia.

Instro

Everyone knows that the LL is getting faceplates eventually. Also ginormous screen and better picture quality > some goombas on your case.

Maybe I've missed something, but how does the bigger model have better picture quality? I was under the impression that like its predecessor it has a bigger screen but outputs at the same resolution, giving it worse IQ.

I'm actually surprised it wasn't higher.

That's only about twice the sales the old models got last year, in a country which only really goes in for handhelds with the more traditional side of gaming.

Kind of makes me worried that we'll drop back down to a year on year decline in sales, and that inspite of it being a more substantial upgrade it'll not do much to slow the market contraction over there.

Really hope it has legs as time goes on.

jonno394

That's only about twice the sales the old models got last year, in a country which only really goes in for handhelds with the more traditional side of gaming.

Kind of makes me worried that we'll drop back down to a year on year decline in sales, and that inspite of it being a more substantial upgrade it'll not do much to slow the market contraction over there.

I think it being pretty much sold out shows that Nintendo only supplied this amount in the first place.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It had a much better debut than DSi

DSi first two days - 170,779 (Famitsu)
New 3DS first two days - 233,483 (Famitsu)

DSi debuted on November 1st while New 3DS on October 11th, so DSi's launch was much nearer the Holiday season, but New 3DS launched with MH4G, which Is suppose kind of compensate the theorical DSi's advantage in terms of time of release.

EDIT: ...Actually, now that I think about it

DSi XL first two days - 103,524 (Famitsu), released on November 21st, 2009

Total debut for both DSi SKUs - 274,303
Total debut for both New 3DS SKUs - 233,483

What figures were you expecting for 2 days worth of sales?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I would assume that the LL is more popular with a crowd that are more likely to be day one (Or week one, rather) adopters. The regular sized N3DS seems pretty heavily aimed at a more casual crowd as well as younger gamers. Seems like it'll be a more steady seller.
I was surprised at the numbers too but this is a pretty plausible explanation.

hongcha

It had a much better debut than DSi

DSi first two days - 170,779 (Famitsu)
New 3DS first two days - 233,483 (Famitsu)

DSi debuted on November 1st while New 3DS on October 11th, so DSi's launch was much nearer the Holiday season, but New 3DS launched with MH4G, which Is suppose kind of compensate the theorical DSi's advantage in terms of time of release.

DSi LL sold 100K first week, which you should include if you are comparing N3DS + N3DS LL sales. 270K DSi+LL still beats 233K N3DS+LL.

Striek

Its definitely a good start, not really sure if its great or even beyond. I guess I will judge it by how it impacts the 3DS going forward in current tracjectory and YoY.

Ie. Does the new 3DS buy Nintendo time or are handhelds still a dying breed.

DSi LL sold 100K first week, which you should include if you are comparing N3DS + N3DS LL sales. 270K DSi+LL still beats 233K N3DS+LL.
Wat? DSiLL didn't launch the same day as DSi. It launched much later. This is not a comparison that should be made.

jonno394

Not really as the fact they launched a year apart means realistically you'd have people upgrading from one to the other so not a fair comparison imo.

hongcha

Wat? DSiLL didn't launch the same day as DSi. It launched much later. This is not a comparison that should be made.

Well, then comparing the sales of one DSi SKU to the combined sales of two N3DS SKUs is not a comparison that should be made either.

Fiktion

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo is glad that the PSP was a thing, in retrospect. The 3DS could be a very different platform if it didn't have Monster Hunter.

jonno394

Well, then comparing the sales of one DSi SKU to the combined sales of two N3DS SKUs is not a comparison that should be made either.

It's not as if people went out and bought one of each like they would with multi sku games like pokemon...

The debut is of course great.

The important thing now is to see how the revisions will be able to sustain hw sales. Monday was holiday as well, so next week numbers might still be high. Then holiday season begin, with Pokémon and all long-sellers doing their work.

If New 3DS and New 3DS LL can pull 100k+ on a weekly basis during October and half November, then they worked.

Probably but is certainly a more realistic one than yours. Given that people are given a choice day 1 which model they want. Spacing DSi and DSiLL over a year apart doesn't. It instead works more as yet another revision for people to upgrade to.

E-phonk

Banned
The important thing now is to see how the revisions will be able to sustain hw sales. Monday was holiday as well, so next week numbers might still be high. Then holiday season begin, with Pokémon and all long-sellers doing their work.

If New 3DS and New 3DS LL can pull 100k+ on a weekly basis during October and half November, then they worked.

News in the MC thread seems to suggest it's still sold out and the first new shipments are coming this weekend, so this weeks sales might be affected because of that.

ramyeon

I expect we'll see sales rise as software comes out that takes further advantage of the new 3DSes too and of course the inevitable N3DS exclusives like Xenoblade.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Anyone else here a bit shocked by MH4G sales? I mean, it's the highest debut ever for a G version of the main game, and it still pretty much follows the past trend of expanded versions having debuts about (if not higher, as happened int the past) the levels of the main release. I sincerly thought this wouldn't have happened due to the massive debut for MH4 (on par, more or less, with MHP3rd).

jonno394

Anyone else here a bit shocked by MH4G sales? I mean, it's the highest debut ever for a G version of the main game, and it still pretty much follows the past trend of expanded versions having debuts about (if not higher, as happened int the past) the levels of the main release. I sincerly thought this wouldn't have happened due to the massive debut for MH4 (on par, more or less, with MHP3rd).

This is probably completely wrong reasoning but if youkai watch 2 brought in new gamers to the 3ds then perhaps some of those guys are taking the mon hun plunge.

L~A

To be fair, for customers, it's one new model, not two.
Other than collectors or people buying for a friend/family member, they're not going to buy both models.

Whereas the DSi XL definitely had plenty of people double-dipping after buying a DSi.

Though to be fair, any comparison isn't really "sensible" since not only market conditions aren't the same, but also, both models were launched the same day for N3DS. Not to mention the MH4G bundle and MH4G releasing the same day.

Comparison between MH4 and MH4G?
Looks like Capcom announced 2m during first 4 days in both cases, so I dunno.

Fake edit: 1 875 000 for MH4.

Funny tidbit: exactly one year ago, Capcom was announcing MH4 had shipped over 3m units in Japan :p

L~A

Some comparison for the 3DS:

- Best Christmas 2011 week - 510 629
- Best Christmas 2012 week - 433 788
- Launch week - 371 326
- 3DS XL Launch week - 235 974
- 3DS Price Drop - 214 821

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
good numbers for N3DS combined (a little bit shocked by the gap between the two models), and for MH4G (I wonder if there are good numbers for DD sales too)

Pikma

Banned
Some comparison for the 3DS:

- Best Christmas 2011 week - 510 629
- Best Christmas 2012 week - 433 788
- Launch week - 371 326
- 3DS XL Launch week - 235 974
- 3DS Price Drop - 214 821

Wow, so it's actually preeeetty good, good news!

HIR0

3DS-It-Prints-Money.gif

Danneee

Better pixel density + better looking buttons + faceplates is what makes the n3ds more attractive than the LL imo.

Strange that most Japanese buyers aren't feeling the same way. I thought they liked to be able to customize their stuff I colorful ways.

Tenbatsu

Better pixel density + better looking buttons + faceplates is what makes the n3ds more attractive than the LL imo.

Strange that most Japanese buyers aren't feeling the same way. I thought they liked to be able to customize their stuff I colorful ways.
4DS launching at LL size with faceplates. Ninty is testing the market reception with this New 3DS variations IMO.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Stock constrain most probably.

Top Bottom