• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: New Nintendo 3DS sold over 230k during launch week-end.

Rich!

What would be impossible with XL faceplates?

The fact that you have to actually dismantle the top screen assembly to replace the shell.

It's literally impossible to offer faceplates for it. The New 3DS XL is essentially the same physical design as the OG 3DS XL as far as the outside top half is concerned.

taken from a poster in another thread:

106.jpg

one is the new 3ds xl, one is the old 3DS XL. Spot the difference? There is none.

People must really have wanted Monster Hunter 4 bundles then.
That being said, good for Nintendo. They need some good news after the Wii U disaster.

well there is no place for them on the XL like there is on the standard new 3ds.

You can't remove the top cover of the New LL?

The fact that you have to actually dismantle the top screen assembly to replace the shell.

It's literally impossible to offer faceplates for it. The New 3DS XL is essentially the same physical design as the OG 3DS XL as far as the outside top half is concerned.

taken from a poster in another thread:

one is the new 3ds xl, one is the old 3DS XL. Spot the difference? There is none.

Thanks, I didn't notice. I thought XL faceplates were just not available now and would be in the future.
They position the XL as a more "gamer" machine. Whatever.

urfe

I wouldn't count out the small one yet. I will put myself out there and say it'll have better legs than the LL.

That's kinda low, isn't it? Expected something like 350k+, at least, especially with MH4G.

Kind of crazy expectation given those kind of sales don't occur outside of a system launch ( a real system launch) or the holidays. The launch of 2 models at once does make this revision somewhat unique though.

phanphare

Banned
wow, surprised the small one isn't more popular. must have been the MH4G bundle.

well I'm definitely getting the New 3DS when it comes here. faceplates + SNES buttons + slightly bigger than OG but smaller than XL screens = instabuy

PSP did sell 325k back when MHP3 and the special PSP revision launched.

I don't know if we had a breakdown of the hardware models, though.
I can't remember if we did get a breakdown yeah. But also I'm not sure that PSP works as a proper hardware revision (like 1k/2k/3k series) so much as a special/limited edition in practice, which greatly increases its short term appeal.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
You know exactly what I'm talking about (the Media-Create guesstimation). I do find your abrupt style terribly quaint though.

No, I don't know what you are talking about. A random prediction someone might have done at MC thread without any info for initial shipment isn't estimate.

Rootbeer

Banned
Deserved, after seeing what a nice improvement they are in many ways, especially in terms of speed. Even with the LL having a better bundle, wish the smaller N3DS had sold better. It needs a nice install base to ensure we get a wide range of faceplate options :3

Can't wait to buy my (non LL) New 3DS once they come to NA!

How some people are talking about Nintendo in this thread:

372e6bab0a019d087e434866fa630b8a.jpg

Really though - imagine if Nintendo is able to use the improved speed of the new 3DS to make it similar to the Vita's option to stream the PS4 or be used as a second controller.

Would be incredible.

Rich!

Really though - imagine if Nintendo is able to use the improved speed of the new 3DS to make it similar to the Vita's option to stream the PS4 or be used as a second controller.

Would be incredible.

Yeah, but its doubtful. Reasons why:

- The New 3DS does not support the wifi band that the Wii U relies on for gamepad streaming.

- The resolution of the screens on the 3DS are significantly lower than on the gamepad, meaning games would need support for both displays.

I mean, I could be totally wrong on this. I'm just guessing.

cackhyena

Wait, we have the gamepad. Why would we need streaming to the new 3DS? I haven't touched the new 3DS, but I'm one billion trillion gazillion percent right in proclaiming it would be a worse controller...with a smaller screen. I can't see one upside.

RiggyRob

How some people are talking about Nintendo in this thread:

372e6bab0a019d087e434866fa630b8a.jpg

Would be incredible.

The normal 3DS is already confirmed to be able to be used as a controller for Smash Bros, right?

In any case, I see this as an opportunity for them to do something similar in the next generation of console and handhelds (use handheld as a controller for the main console).

Tom_Cody

Better pixel density + better looking buttons + faceplates is what makes the n3ds more attractive than the LL imo.

Strange that most Japanese buyers aren't feeling the same way. I thought they liked to be able to customize their stuff I colorful ways.
I was heavily leaning towards the smaller model until I started getting into Smash.

I'm playing Smash on my XL and I definitely wouldn't want to give up even a millimeter of screen size. I'm sure that attitude applies to Monster Hunter as well. I'm personally guessing that these sales between the two models will normalize somewhat in the next few months.

ASIS

Wait, we have the gamepad. Why would we need streaming to the new 3DS? I haven't touched the new 3DS, but I'm one billion trillion gazillion percent right in proclaiming it would be a worse controller...with a smaller screen. I can't see one upside.
multiplayer. so you can experience true symmetric gameplay where everyone has their own screen to play with. The experience was incredible during the GC era and I'm sure it would be even better now if they can get it to work.

Rich!

The normal 3DS is already confirmed to be able to be used as a controller for Smash Bros, right?

In any case, I see this as an opportunity for them to do something similar in the next generation of console and handhelds (use handheld as a controller for the main console).

Really? I didn't know that. Interesting!

cackhyena

multiplayer. so you can experience true symmetric gameplay where everyone has their own screen to play with. The experience was incredible during the GC era and I'm sure it would be even better now if they can get it to work.
I guess.

Sami+

Good for Nintendo. Hopefully this doesn't delay the actual 3DS successor for too long though, because even the N3DS is still vastly weaker than the almost three year old Vita.

Spiegel

I can't remember if we did get a breakdown yeah. But also I'm not sure that PSP works as a proper hardware revision (like 1k/2k/3k series) so much as a special/limited edition in practice, which greatly increases its short term appeal.

Yeah, you are right.
Also it probably didn't count for most of those 325k sales. I doubt Sony shipped that many systems.

cackhyena

Good for Nintendo. Hopefully this doesn't delay the actual 3DS successor for too long though, because even the N3DS is still vastly weaker than the almost three year old Vita.
Is there a comparison of specs out there? Just fired up my Vita for the first time in a while last night and I have to say, while I still don't enjoy the bubbles, they absolutely nailed the UI responsiveness. Everything just works and works well. It outdoes the consoles in usability and swiftness, even.

Is there a comparison of specs out there? Just fired up my Vita for the first time in a while last night and I have to say, while I still don't enjoy the bubbles, they absolutely nailed the UI responsiveness. Everything just works and works well. It outdoes the consoles in usability and swiftness, even.

Bums me out how bad Vita was fumbled.

With all of its great features it could have been so much bigger

At least now it has its own market its catering to

Top Bottom