• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: New Nintendo 3DS sold over 230k during launch week-end.

L~A

Sales:

Both models: 233 483

N3DS: 61 151
N3DS LL:172 332

(Reminder: N3DS got face plates; N3DSLL got the MH4G bundle)

Some comparison:

- Best Christmas 2011 week - 510 629
- Best Christmas 2012 week - 433 788
- Launch week - 371 326
- 3DS XL Launch week - 235 974
- 3DS Price Drop - 214 821

There's also data for MH4G, which did pretty much the same as MH4 I believe?

MH4G: 1 617 949
MH4: 1 875 000

Source

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Numbers! Finally!

WOW at the difference between normal and LL version, WOW :lol

FZZ

Banned
Great sales.

I'm considering picking it up when it launches stateside, but are most people guessing the 4DS is gonna launch in 2016? Because if so I might hold off on buying the upgrade and just wait for that.

Surprised at the gap. I expected Japan to be more enticed by the faceplates. I guess since there was only a 2000 yen price difference, bigger screens seemed more attractive.

Great sales.

I'm considering picking it up when it launches stateside, but are most people guessing the 4DS is gonna launch in 2016? Because if so I might hold off on buying the upgrade and just wait for that.

Doubtful. If the New 3DS weren't a thing, maybe.

Forkball

Surprised at the gap. I expected Japan to be more enticed by the faceplates. I guess since there was only a 2000 yen price difference, bigger screens seemed more attractive.

Everyone knows that the LL is getting faceplates eventually. Also ginormous screen and better picture quality > some goombas on your case.

Jamix012

First off, that's a really good launch number, but it's in part due to MH4G. I want to see how it carries, especially into January when numbers should become more sobering once again for everyone.

Secondly, damn. I really expected the Regular/LL split to be much closer than that. Guess either the faceplate thing didn't entice as much interest or the regular was understocked?

Edit: Nope! the LL was sold out quicker according to reports in the media create thread. That gap is huge an kind of embarrassing given the faceplate push.

Mpl90

I'm wondering if smaller New 3DS sales will be more steady compared to other hardware right after launch, given its being aimed at the "casual" audience.

fedexpeon

Banned
Wow, I am shocked that people want to buy a slight upgrade on an already bad graphical and technical device.
LL=XL or bigger? Because I might as well buy one if new games will require the New 3DS to play it.

ramyeon

Everyone knows that the LL is getting faceplates eventually. Also ginormous screen and better picture quality > some goombas on your case.
How do you expect the LL to get cover plates later on? You can't change the front plate on the LL.

Also LL does not give better picture quality. It's bigger, yeah. I prefer the XL to the OG but I think with the slight increase in the N3DS it'll be the sweet spot for me.

Rich!

The lack of New XL/LL coverage and reviews online is even more maddening now after knowing it sold over twice as much as the smaller size.

damn

tsab

Wow, I am shocked that people want to buy a slight upgrade on an already bad graphical and technical device.
LL=XL or bigger? Because I might as well buy one if new games will require the New 3DS to play it.
New LL is the same size as the old LL/XL

Rich!

Can you even take off the LL's shell like you can with the smaller model, though? Seems like they'd have to make a new sku for that to work.

No. You can't. You would have to dismantle the top screen.

The New XL has pretty much the same aesthetics as the current OG XL. I'm not quite sure what that poster is on about, faceplates for the XL are never going to happen.

Bgamer90

Banned
"Keep your stupid multi color buttons!"

But man, that's a lot. I wonder how many out of that 230K owned an older 3DS.

liquidtmd

Banned
Interesting.

There was a thread the other day I was skimming and it laid out a very sparse 3DS confirmed line up for next year. Can anyone repost it? On a phone.

Wow at LL sales relative to normal

I now understand why the normal one has faceplates but the LL does not

Seems like pretty good sales for its first week

hongcha

Can you even take off the LL's shell like you can with the smaller model, though? Seems like they'd have to make a new sku for that to work.

Yeah, they'd need a new SKU. You can take the bottom plate off, but not the top one behind the screen. They'd also have to make totally new plates as the N3DS ones wouldn't fit.

Meffer

I would not call it a "slight upgrade" with what the N3DS is toting.

Impressive! Can't wait for these to hit stateside. Never got a chance to play Xenoblade so pretty pumped to play it on one of these.

Mortemis

Banned
Isn't there only a MH bundle for LL and not normal? If so then that probably explains the huge gap.
edit: I'm blind, says it in the OP. I'm curious if LL sales will stomp normal for the long run.

random25

Not surprised. I did expect bigger numbers for the smaller one, though. :p

Guess the MH4G bundle plus the popularity of the OG LL really helps the new LL model there.

AdanVC

Damn!! That's some great numbers. I'm surprised the LL model sold more. I thought people will choose the regular New 3DS for the faceplates and the Kyary Pamyu Pamyu hype haha. Now let's consider that Smash 3DS is still selling crazy good and that there's Pokémon ORAS next month. 3DS is unstoppable in Japan!

Edit: Adding this song just because

watershed

Banned
I'm surprised the non-LL model sold so little relative to the LL. Those color buttons and custom faceplates seem really attractive to me.

Jasper

Anyone else think that Nintendo can pass the 20 million 3DS's sold mark in Japan, by the end of 2014?

According to the latest Media Create figures, almost 16.5 million 3DS's have been sold. Add in the estimate 240K units sold in just the weekend since the launch of the "New 3DS" models...I think it's actually possible.

Mpl90

Now that I think about it, aren't there reports about smaller New 3DS selling out as well in stores, not just LL?

L~A

Anyone else think that Nintendo can pass the 20 million 3DS's sold mark in Japan, by the end of 2014?

According to the latest Media Create figures, almost 16.5 million 3DS's have been sold. Add in the estimate 240K units sold in just the weekend since the launch of the "New 3DS" models...I think it's actually possible.

No way in hell the 3DS is going to sell 3m before the end of the year... simply impossible. It'd need something like 300k/week during the last 10 weeks of the year. Seems... excessive.

jonno394

Solid numbers. I expect the new ll to drop considerably next week and level out with the standard new 3ds. Mon hun gonna mon hun.

Edit - I get the impression both pretty much sold out so looks like there's a reason for lower new 3ds vs new ll sashes (as well as monster hunter)

Mortemis

Banned
I really doubht the bundle sold 110k, though it's clear it helped sales for LL model. It's simply more popular.

Yeah, helped is definitely a better word. Don't doubt that the LL is more popular, but I would have guessed that the normal size w/ face plates wouldn't be stomped like that. We'll see if it keeps up.

Top Bottom