• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu picks Pokémon Sun/Moon as their 2016 GOTY

Ōkami

woNULce.jpg

Famitsu likes to take their sweet time picking as they just had their ceremony picking their favorite games from 2016 last year, alognside some other awayrds

GOTY
Pokémon Sun / Moon

Excelence Award (Essentially GOTY runners up)
Uncharted 4
Grandblue Fantasy
Shadowverse
Dark Souls 3
Tales of Berseia
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Dragon Quest Builders
The Last Guardian
Final Fantasy XV
Pokémon GO
Persona 5
Monster Strike
Yakuza 6

Male Voice Actor Award
Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Final Fantasy XV)

Female Voice Actor Award
Rina Satou (Tales of Bears)

Movement Award
Pokémon GO

Innovation Award
PlayStation VR

Best Hit Award
Pokémon Sun/Moon

Favorite Application Award
LINE: Disney TsumTsum

Rookie Award
Overwatch
Summer Lesson
Shadowverse
The Last Guardian
Pokémon GO
Monster Hunter Stories

Best Character
Noctis

Best Developer
Square Enix

MPV
Hajime Tabata

That's the Pokémon director picking up the award

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv293882705

Good for Sun & Moon! And I have a feeling the Stars is going to be incredible. I think it's going to dethrone Platinum as the best mid-gen revision. This is only possible because these base games are what Pokémon should have become five years ago at least.

Also, does Famitsu have a weird cat mascot I've never seen before?

Take away features from previous games, add an insane amount of game stopping citizens that only worsen the boring story with trash dialogue and vapid characters, and you got yourself a Famitsu GOTY.

Disclaimer: I'm only two or three hours in I don't like it very much, if at all.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It must be the first Pokemon game I am struggling to get into. Got it back in December and I am only at the second island. I really hope that Game Freak rethink it for Switch. The games have become way too stale.

Drencrom

Rookie Award:

Overwatch
Summer Lesson
Shadowverse
The Last Guardian
Pokémon GO
Monster Hunter Stories

Did Famitsu just call Fumito Ueda a 'rookie'?

New IP Award would be a better name

AzureFlame

Congrats to him even tho i consider famtisu a complete joke, is this the only pokemon game that famtisu picked for goty?

It must be the first Pokemon game I am struggling to get into. Got it back in December and I am only at the second island. I really hope that Game Freak rethink it for Switch. The games have become way too stale.

Thats a strange statement because its the first Pokemon since the original that really bucks staple trends in the series.

As someone who hadn't played a pokemon game in over a decade Moon brought me back and was one of my favorite games of 2016. Congrats.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
The game is infuriatingly slow, I've never chugged so many Repels in my life. I'm probably going to stop buying new entries, there hasn't been a good campaign in a long time.

Neonep

I mean I can't disagree. I spent over 100 hours with Moon. Pokemon is probably the only thing that can get me to buy a Switch.

Atheerios

The game is infuriatingly slow, I've never chugged so many Repels in my life. I'm probably going to stop buying new entries, there hasn't been a good campaign in a long time.

What are you talking about? Sun and Moon easily have the best campaign of any Pokémon game. And it's not slow, just go away and replay some of the older ones and you will see.

Luigi87

Glad to see Shadowverse among the runner-ups. Great digital CCG.

That aside, Noctis for best character? I protest!

Roufianos

Yea, it was probably mine too. I love Pokemon and these were the best entries in years. Only other potential contender was U4 but that was shit.

Sun/Moon were really fantastic. Behind only Black 2/White 2 as the best in the series - and that's without having the advantage of being a third version. Totally cool with that result.

Also congrats to Tabata for his award!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Would anyone here that played both Pokemon Sun/Moon and Persona 5 pick Pokemon as the better game?

dacalo

I really don't see what's so appealing about Pokemon. I am 37 years old and I have been gaming all my life. I heard about all the rage about Pokemon and I tried Pokemon Y a few years ago. It was boring, lacked direction, and very repetitive. I just don't see what the appeal is? What am I missing GAF?

I don't think I can take any publication seriously that would include FFXV along other 2016 goty contenders.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336408

I think it has something to do with the fact that the game didn't have a worldwide release until this month.

Excelence Award (Essentially GOTY runners up)
Uncharted 4
Grandblue Fantasy
Shadowverse
Dark Souls 3
Tales of Berseia
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Dragon Quest Builders
The Last Guardian
Final Fantasy XV
Pokémon GO
Persona 5 <-------------------
Monster Strike
Yakuza 6

I really don't see what's so appealing about Pokemon. I am 37 years old and I have been gaming all my life. I heard about all the rage about Pokemon and I tried Pokemon Y a few years ago. It was boring, lacked direction, and very repetitive. I just don't see what the appeal is? What am I missing GAF?

X and Y are pretty handily the dullest Pokemon games. At its best (B2/W2, FireRed/LeafGreen, Sun/Moon) the series is really special.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I can see why it's an easy pick. Don't agree with it at all, of course. S/M is actually one of the most disappointing Pokemon games I've played, and I've played basically everything from the main series. It's a technical mess with some questionable decisions like the removal of the PSS, putting the national dex behind a paywall, and the way the call for help system was implemented.

Top Bottom