• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: PS5 sold 118K units and XSX/S sold 21K units

Bodomism

Banned

Best selling PS5 games are Spidey MM and DS remake at 18K units sold.

Previous consoles launch numbers comparison

Wii U: 308,600
Wii: 371,900
PS4: 322,100
Switch: 330,637

Last edited:

reksveks

Best selling PS5 game is Spidey MM at 18K units sold.

Time range for the previous numbers?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
200.gif

jigglet

Banned
As a Wii U launch buyer, those Wii U numbers are shameful. 10 consoles would have been too much. Fucking trash heap of a console that was. I will never not be bitter about that fucking trainwreck (I was a shareholder at the time of the launch, fuck me what a bag of shit that was)

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned

Best selling PS5 game is Spidey MM at 18K units sold.

In Japan or worldwide?

reksveks

Opening weekend to my question.

Now to see if there was any xbox numbers

24k for the xbox one so basically flat. Wonder what's the cause of the drop in sales for both

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Either Sony isn't leaning on Japan to prop it up anymore, or production was pretty damn weak. I don't doubt that they'd bias things to the West, but that's half what they sold with the PS4, and I'm pretty sure every PS5 has been sold there.

Vlodril

Can't sell what you don't have. I think it is sold out everywhere. Probably they didn't focus that much on Japan (along with the covid production complications).\

I would say the miles morales number is more interesting but not sure if that included digital or not. If it doesn't it is useless but if it does it seems rather low attach rate especially so for a new console launch (where usually attach rates are higher i think).

Last edited:

ToadMan

Opening weekend to my question.

Now to see if there was any xbox numbers

24k for the xbox one so basically flat. Wonder what's the cause of the drop in sales for both

Lack of supply for PS5.

EBay has a few for sale in Japan asking about USD1700!

I didn’t look at Xbox.

SilentUser

That's terrible for both. Wonder if COVID + supply could be blamed, at least for PS5, but I'm not very confident it would sell much more than that.

Vlodril

The demand wasn't big enough for Sony to allocate a big shipments to Japan and prioritized more on bigger market like US and UK instead.

Yea they obviously prioritized Uk and EU and to be fair these days they are a lot more important than the Japanese market.

SkylineRKR

Its rather unusual because the PS4 is consistently outselling the PS3 everywhere, but in Japan I even doubt if the PS4 managed to break the PS3's totals.

It went like PS1 21m, PS2 23m, PS3 10m, PS4 9m ish? I think the 5 is going to do worse.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Lot of bad takes in these comments. As someone living in Japan let me explain the situation. It is almost impossible to buy PS5's. Everyone wants one however numbers are very limited. In order to buy one you must enter a lottery. Latest numbers showed 1000 entries for every 1 unit available. Switch has also been sold out for last 2 months at least.

ranmafan

Not surprised. I expected the launch numbers to be low. I was surprised it even launched at the same time considering how long it took to get the PS4 here. japan really got a small allotment. And lots of people are frustrated by it. (Including me until today as I finally lucked out and got one here in Japan).

Seeing such low allotment numbers for markets of this size....boy oh boy. I think those consoles will be sparse for another 6 months.....

Bodomism

Banned
Lot of bad takes in these comments. As someone living in Japan let me explain the situation. It is almost impossible to buy PS5's. Everyone wants one however numbers are very limited. In order to buy one you must enter a lottery. Latest numbers showed 1000 entries for every 1 unit available. Switch has also been sold out for last 2 months at least.
At the same time it gives the same message to Japanese gamers as the previous Gen where Japan received 330K launch week shipment for 3-4 months later than Global launch, and now 118K launch week shipment and probably around the same number when adding all of those sales from PS5 launch to PS4 timeframe.

Looks like what was reported last week by bloomberg about Sony sidelines Japanese market is indeed true based on this pitiful shipment numbers.

Top Bottom