• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Famitsu] Ratings and News, 2007/10/26

duckroll

The Lost Odyssey scans are great. They finally reveal more information about the gameplay and music. Here are some highlights:

- Only mortal characters gain new skills as they level up, but the immortal characters rely on a "skill link" system to gain the skills of the mortal characters.

- There are up to 6 skill slots, so you have to pick and choose to customize each character.

- As you use skills, they get more powerful for that character.

- When you equip rings and accessories, they can add special things to your attacks. The special element will be triggered if you get a Perfect on the combat ring timing.

- Rings are crafted using materials you get from beating normal enemies. There are tons of crafting possibilities affecting everything from damage, elemental attacks, defense, critical rate, stealing, etc.

- All equipment changes are visible in all scenes except in movies. Sakaguchi was saying how it would be silly if a character had a nekomimi (cat ears) on during a serious scene. :)

- The world map in the game seems to be a map where you select locations from a list, similar to FFX and FFX-2.

- Uematsu composed over 50 tracks for Lost Odyssey, and used a variety of instruments for the score.

- There are 3 vocal songs in the game, all lyrics written by Sakaguchi. Two of them are in English.

- More details on the music and other stuff will be revealed at the Lost Odyssey Premiere event on 19 Nov.

Uemetsu looks like a japanese super mario

ring system seems cool

It seems to be shaping up to a nice refinement of the traditional formula... I cant wait to see how square will try to mix things up for FFXIII

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
The Lost Odyssey scans are great. They finally reveal more information about the gameplay and music. Here are some highlights:

- Only mortal characters gain new skills as they level up, but the immortal characters rely on a "skill link" system to gain the skills of the mortal characters.

- There are up to 6 skill slots, so you have to pick and choose to customize each character.

- When you equip rings and accessories, they can add special things to your attacks. The special element will be triggered if you get a Perfect on the combat ring timing.

- Rings are crafted using materials you get from beating normal enemies. There are tons of crafting possibilities affecting everything from damage, elemental attacks, defense, critical rate, stealing, etc.

- All equipment changes are visible in all scenes except in movies. Sakaguchi was saying how it would be silly if a character had a nekomimi (cat ears) on during a serious scene. :)

- The world map in the game seems to be a map where you select locations from a list, similar to FFX and FFX-2.

- Uematsu composed over 50 tracks for Lost Odyssey, and used a variety of instruments for the score.

- There are 3 vocal songs in the game, all lyrics written by Sakaguchi. Two of them are in English.

- More details on the music and other stuff will be revealed at the Lost Odyssey Premiere event on 19 Nov.
Wait like, from an airship right? Like FFX it has an overworld that connects everything, right?

Other than that it sounds awesome!

jj984jj said:
Wait like, from an airship right? Like FFX it has an overworld that connects everything, right?

oops my bad...yeah, probably just like FFX...which is a shame

I really want a seemless world like in DQ8...but I doubt even FFXIII will have this given the graphics they are going for...

duckroll

jj984jj said:

That's what we can assume, since it would be weird if you could just teleport from one end of the world to the other end. It's not really explained though, they just show the screenshot without actual details. But since all the different fields in the game are listed, and based on the demo, I would say yes, it's all connected.

duckroll

Wait, on second thought. No, I don't think everything is "completely connected" per say.

I remember in the demo when you first reach Ural after a cutscene, if you try to go out beyond the gates, it says "To World Map" but it can't be accessed from the demo. Oh well!

jj984jj

duckroll said:
That's what we can assume, since it would be weird if you could just teleport from one end of the world to the other end. It's not really explained though, they just show the screenshot without actual details. But since all the different fields in the game are listed, and based on the demo, I would say yes, it's all connected.
Ah ok, good. I'd be disappointed if locations just opened up after a while.

duckroll said:
Wait, on second thought. No, I don't think everything is "completely connected" per say.

I remember in the demo when you first reach Ural after a cutscene, if you try to go out beyond the gates, it says "To World Map" but it can't be accessed from the demo. Oh well!
:(

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Ah ok, good. I'd be disappointed if locations just opened up after a while.

:(

Well, I don't think locations just open up "after a while" in that sense. It's just that there's no seamless world like in FFX and FFXII. Locations are still connected, but it's more like, say you're in Area A. You move to Area B, which is maybe a dungeon. Then you go into the dungeon and come out in Area C. Then there's a cutscene where you get led to Area D which is somewhere else in the world. From Area D you'll be able to exit to Area E, but at the same time I guess Area A to D will all be available on the world map screen then, since you've already visited them. Just a hunch.

jj984jj

duckroll said:
Well, I don't think locations just open up "after a while" in that sense. It's just that there's no seamless world like in FFX and FFXII. Locations are still connected, but it's more like, say you're in Area A. You move to Area B, which is maybe a dungeon. Then you go into the dungeon and come out in Area C. Then there's a cutscene where you get led to Area D which is somewhere else in the world. From Area D you'll be able to exit to Area E, but at the same time I guess Area A to D will all be available on the world map screen then, since you've already visited them. Just a hunch.
So in other words it progresses like Xenosaga, and you use the map to travel back?

duckroll

jj984jj said:
So in other words it progresses like Xenosaga, and you use the map to travel back?

I don't know, maybe? I'll let you know for sure in two months. :)

Not like that'll be the only similarity it shares with Xenosaga. :lol

duckroll

Something that Sakaguchi mentioned in the interview suddenly got my attention. He said that after Katsuhisa Higuchi joined the staff on LO, he helped add a ton of depth into the game's battles. Everything from the enemy AI routines, to the balance of the skills and rings, to boss battles and battle depth was improved or contributed by his experience.

Katsuhisa Higuchi is the battle prgrammer for FF3-5, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Chrono Cross and the battle programmer and battle director (battle system, balance, concept) for FFXI.

Soul4ger

Was it revealed before that there was a Lost Odyssey character named "Sed." Are they trying to carry on the "Cid" tradition in LO? Or am I looney?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Aeana said:
I know there are a few Ys fans here,

Spring 08 - Ys DS (Interchannel Holon)
Spring 08 - Ys 2 DS (Interchannel Holon)

from the Famitsu release list. Let's just hope these aren't as crappy as the Taito PS2 remakes.

Really cool, wonder how the graphics will look... a bit surprised they're getting a port, with the PCE games out (or out soon) on VC.

MCD

duckroll said:
Katsuhisa Higuchi is the battle prgrammer for FF3-5, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Chrono Cross and the battle programmer and battle director (battle system, balance, concept) for FFXI.

GOTY confirmed.

Aeana

djtiesto said:
Really cool, wonder how the graphics will look... a bit surprised they're getting a port, with the PCE games out (or out soon) on VC.

There's a scan a page back... though it's blurry. It looks like a 3Dization of Ys 1 & 2 Eternal.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yeah, just saw that now and was gonna change my post! I just received a copy of I+II Eternal PC in the mail, probably this weekend I'm gonna apply the English patch and play, woo.

Like ethelred said a while ago, I'd much rather see re-releases of IV and V, they could've done something like a multi pack and put both Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun on a single cartridge. I'm really interested in playing through V in English, can't wait for that AGTP patch!

Aeana - how would you rank the Ys games?

Soul4ger

And WOWOW, Konami has some adventure games that look awesome for DS coming. Schoolboy Summer and Time Hollow both look to own. Man, I wish all thse games came to America. Stock Trader Shun is sweet, we never got Project Hacker... Someone needs to open a publisher just for these graphic adventures on teh DS.

NeonZ

Namomura said:
Idolm@ster Live for You!

It's so weird to see the girls like that after watching the Xenoglossia anime. The only ones who seem to be remotely in-character are the main, her childhood friend (is that her? The hair color seems different), the mechanic girl and the twins.

Aeana

djtiesto said:
Aeana - how would you rank the Ys games?

Probably something like... 2 Eternal = Oath > 4 Mask = 4 Dawn > 1 Eternal > Origin > 6 > 5 > 3.

Hard to decide whether to put Oath or 2E first, and I like both versions of Ys 4 just about the same.

sp0rsk said:
Not a bad score for Opoona, so maybe it isn't total shit? 31 is quite close to "Most likely shit" levels if you subscribe to the "How to Interpret Famitsu Scores newsletter" by Sp0rsk publishing only 5.99 per month for the electronic version and 9.99 a month for the hard bound version.
Considering that the highest score any game can get in Famitsu without a moneyhat is 35, I'd say Opoona did alright.

duckroll said:

hype train! choo-choo!:D

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
that's some really good character design, in those LO scans. game looks sweet.

GhostSeed

rakka said:
60301020071024_112303_8_big.jpg

dq9iwata.jpg

birdchili

Mandoric said:
Opoona 8887 PLAYTIME: 15-20 hours to clear, 75 to do everything
* Cute characters hide oldschool difficulty
* Ball-based battles are difficult
* Plot progression based on talking to people in the right order; reviewer finds this nostalgic but thinks you may not
* Music: "INCREDIBLE"
* Lots of subsystems
* To the extent where jobs and licences get confusing
* Battles don't really hurt the tempo, but encounter rate boosts the difficulty

ummm... unexpectedly amazing?

the look of this always tempted (one of perhaps six people here who like it:), but i was near certain it would be an rpg sandbox with little difficulty or genuine depth.

do we know anything about the combat system other than the fact that it's turn-based?

also - has this been officially announced for localization? timeframe?

xcomp

Sooo, are people getting really hyped up for Mario Galaxy? I noticed quite a number of avatars wearing Mario hats :lol

Pimpwerx

Warhawk got robbed. That game deserves some 8's from them. But oh well, I don't know how big it will be over there anyway. I don't think they're that big on war games. PEACE.

Leezard

xcomp said:
Sooo, are people getting really hyped up for Mario Galaxy? I noticed quite a number of avatars wearing Mario hats :lol

I haven't been hyped for a game since Zelda:aLTTP. I never thought I'd experience this again, but Amir0x's impressions got me overhyped. :D

Dali

nightside said:
:lol:lol:lol

wich one will be the more popular? this, or the loli-rap sims?

I don't think the girls really emcee and drop a few lyrics in Idolmaster. I could be wrong.

nobody's said a thing about "Dragon Tamer's" absolutley stunning review score? 28/40 is like a 6.5 or a 7, right?

that's the real story, and also the clincher for people who actually shiveagit about Famitsu scores.

ghibli99

Mandoric said:
Mario Galaxy
* Keeps up the feeling of "I wanna see what's in the next level!"
* Gladually builds up things available in game, keeping a good difficulty balance and level design.
* Gravity change gimmicks and special actions improve boss fights.
* Wiimote controls work almost too well
* Tempo is abnormally good
* Just being able to point and gather star pieces in exhilerating.
* Game everyone can enjoy.
That just makes me smile. Can't wait!

kottila said:
The entire Galaxy thread is a Galaxy-avatar fest.
It's a repeat of what happened here around Metroid Prime 3's release. Interestingly enough, that thread also only took off after Amir0x gave his enthusiastic ("HOLY FREAKING CRAP") impressions.

For example:

JoshMetroid.gif

Narag

HyperZone<3 said:
nobody's said a thing about "Dragon Tamer's" absolutley stunning review score? 28/40 is like a 6.5 or a 7, right?

that's the real story, and also the clincher for people who actually shiveagit about Famitsu scores.

Hmm? I thought Lair was "Rise from Lair" in Japan.

Scribble

"Afterschool Boy" (DS, Konami, 08/01/31, \5229)
* Nostalgic ADV reliving boyhood in mid-1970s rural Japan
* Hero is an elementary school boy whose family will move far away in a month
* School, parks, candy shops, etc. will be available on the map; they contain nostalgic activities like swingsets, super car erasers, menko (card game similar to pogs), a particular board game where the object was to travel to space.
* Uses nostalgic music from the era
(vocal)
A Younger Guy/Candies
Cotton Hankerchief/Ohta Hiromi
Swim! Taiyaki-kun/Shimon Masato
Beautiful Sunday/Tanaka Seiji
Romance/Iwasaki Hiromi
(instrumental)
Tell Me, Space Battleship Yamato, Go! Goranger, Yamaguchi's Tsutomu
Days that Can't Be Returned To, G-Men 75 Theme, Youthful Days, Theme of the Big City
&#12363;&#12369;&#12417;&#12368;&#12427;&#38738;&#26149;&#12289;&#23398;&#22290;&#22825;&#22269;

Still no love for AB?

soul

No FF/KH/TLR/anything else S-E related scans this time?

Really looking forward for new footage on Infinite Undiscovery to be honest.

Mandoric

Banned
HyperZone<3 said:

Wow, I knew that Sony normally tweaked first-party games a little for Japan, between Resistance's reduced blood and Ratchet's eyebrows, but I really wasn't expecting them to make Lair a rhythm-based pet sim and give Bandai the publishing rights for a DS-exclusive version.

icecream

Public Health Threat
NeonZ said:
It's so weird to see the girls like that after watching the Xenoglossia anime. The only ones who seem to be remotely in-character are the main, her childhood friend (is that her? The hair color seems different), the mechanic girl and the twins.
You're looking at it the wrong way. The anime characters are all a horrible departure from their original game version. :D

Dali said:
I don't think the girls really emcee and drop a few lyrics in Idolmaster. I could be wrong.
See Beautiful Katamari. Danketsu.

Three Kingdoms on the DS sounds delectable. I'd like to give that a try and see how the stylus works with it.

Good to see a bit more of the Lost Odyssey cast.

Top Bottom