• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Famitsu] Ratings and News, 2007/10/26

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Jonnyram said:
If you own a US 360 already, I can see it being a difficult decision, but if you don't own a US 360 yet, the JP 360 is the way to go. You can get nearly all US games in Asia format (from play-asia or NCSX, etc). Asian versions are usually in English, released around the same time as the US version, and are $10 cheaper, plus playable on a JP 360. There are also a lot of region free US games nowadays... and on top of all that, you can play the JP games too.

Well, most of my purchases are from play-asia, so this to me is a no brainer.

I also don't have an XBOX 360, so you are making this quite easy which XBOX 360 I will be buying when I decide to buy one.

kay

Jonnyram said:
If you own a US 360 already, I can see it being a difficult decision, but if you don't own a US 360 yet, the JP 360 is the way to go. You can get nearly all US games in Asia format (from play-asia or NCSX, etc). Asian versions are usually in English, released around the same time as the US version, and are $10 cheaper, plus playable on a JP 360. There are also a lot of region free US games nowadays... and on top of all that, you can play the JP games too.
It would be an easy choice if the system was reliable, it isn't covered under any warranty in NA if you import.. I think.

Hcoregamer00

kay said:
It would be an easy choice if the system was reliable, it isn't covered under any warranty in NA if you import.. I think.

Once the GPU gets shrunk in Fall 2008 the choice becomes really easy.

Import the Japanese XBOX 360.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sp0rsk said:
Looks really cute and but is as hard as any classic RPG.
Battles feel quite new, but can get tedious.
You must talk to the villiagers to advance in the game. It seems like kind of an old mechanic, but its one of the more fun parts of the game.
Awesome music.
Lots of side quests?
Getting liscenses and jobs are indirect??? (Sounds like youll be doing a lot of back and forth.)
Fast paced and hard battles
Sounds great! I'm glad Koei is bring it over! :D

AMIR0X'S REVIEW

Amir0x said:
God it's the type of game when you play, you want to wake people up just to tell them you did because it's revelatory. It's like you can FEEL the paradigm shifting under your feet when you play this, as if all Iwata's claims were proved true in an instant and the sound of a million doubters fell silent.

I am guys, you know, a HUGE Nintendo critic lately. I don't like the direction they've taken for various reasons, and I let myself be known on this issue. Everywhere. And I can say, in genuine, from the hour or so I kept coming back to the demo, that this was worth the price of Wii. I would pay $399.99 to play this.

It is almost like... jesus... it's like all those non-games were just tons and tons of crumbling rock plugging up some mighty volcano, and it all came undone with Mario Galaxy. The giant moved and swayed, melting faces in its wake. I am prone to hyperbole. I can assure you, nothing I can say will prepare.

My words may sounds hollow to some. Some more technical features: I thought wiimote would be at best a side step, as opposed to a step forward. It is comfortable, it works wonders, you do not need camera control at any moment (guys, they've designed a 3D platformer which requires NO CAMERA CONTROL EVER. Do you know what that alone indicates with the talent?). In short, it is better than traditional controls. For real. That's coming from me. Mario's momentum is just so perfectly honed that every little movement feels rewarding. You don't even have to do anything, you can just spin Mario around and around and you'll feel as giddy as a fucking schoolchild.

This game? It LOOKS like a 360 game, save resolution. Yes, they actually did do it. Anybody tries to post LAUGHING SMILIES at this proposition, poke them in the eye with your dick. They're laughing out of fear. They've actually done it here. ANYONE on GAF that denies the visual pleasure unfolding here is a bullshit artist and a troll. Yes, 360 can obviously do better but here is a Wii game that looks as good, and you won't even once remotely think 'oh hey if only that goomba had bump maping.'

God the design. The fucking LEVEL design. I played much of what we've seen in early videos of this game, and even KNOWING what to expect did not truly explain what the experience is like. Here is a product that essentially shits on all other developers from the top of some unreachable mountain top. I love Ratchet, I love Sunshine. I love platformers. So why is it that this game seems to open a door that makes me almost embarrassed to have ever lauded them? FROM AN HOUR OF PLAY.

Oh God I think I'm turning back into a Nintendo fanboy... but it's such pure joy, really encapsulate the very reason I began to play games. I feel like a new gamer.

kay

Hcoregamer00 said:
Once the GPU gets shrunk in Fall 2008 the choice becomes really easy.

Import the Japanese XBOX 360.
Way too far off, what's taking them so long? Anyway, Play-asia already put a price on the "value" unit 399.99 US which a lot more than the MSRP in Japan. There's no point in ordering one when that + shipping would almost get you 2 cores. Plus, there isn't even that many jp exclusive 360 games.. Idolmaster is just a money pit, you'd need like hundreds of dollars to get the dlc.

ivysaur12

Banned
I can't believe that Ami said some of those things... this game is actually Jesus reincarnate (two of the reviewers were atheists)

Hcoregamer00

kay said:
Way too far off, what's taking them so long? Anyway, Play-asia already put a price on the "value" unit 399.99 US which a lot more than the MSRP in Japan. There's no point in ordering one when that + shipping would almost get you 2 cores. Plus, there isn't even that many jp exclusive 360 games.. Idolmaster is just a money pit, you'd need like hundreds of dollars to get the dlc.

Hence the bitching about no PS3 version since the damn thing is region free from the start.

Every console should be region free dammit.

Tenbatsu

* Wiimote controls work almost too well
* Tempo is abnormally good

This 2 sentences are funny:lol Was expecting a 40 but still 38 is good enough.

Btw did Famitsu gave any 40 this year?

mario galaxy gamespot review

The Good
* Shooting and platforming gameplay is fun
* Lots of different and useful power-ups
* Beautiful, colorful visuals
* Tight controls.

The Bad
* There's some good humor in it, but the story isn't very interesting, and the ending is a letdown
* So many different, often unnecessary gameplay mechanics that the game lacks an identity
* Difficulty is too easy and only the last hour or so is remotely challenging.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
kay said:
Lots of 9s have no negatives. Also, who cares.

Lots of 10s have negatives, too. Do I need to mention which reviewer I'm talking about :lol?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Twilight Princess said:
mario galaxy gamespot review

The Good
* Shooting and platforming gameplay is fun
* Lots of different and useful power-ups
* Beautiful, colorful visuals
* Tight controls.

The Bad
* There's some good humor in it, but the story isn't very interesting, and the ending is a letdown
* So many different, often unnecessary gameplay mechanics that the game lacks an identity
* Difficulty is too easy and only the last hour or so is remotely challenging.

aw man the things i would do to see that.

Just for like 3 days just to see what would happen.

Tristam

Sol.. said:
aw man the things i would do to see that.

Just for like 3 days just to see what would happen.

Actually he posted the bullet points and score from the Ratchet GameSpot review.

wsippel

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Looks really cute and but is as hard as any classic RPG.
Battles feel quite new, but can get tedious.
You must talk to the villiagers to advance in the game. It seems like kind of an old mechanic, but its one of the more fun parts of the game.
Awesome music.
Lots of side quests?
Getting liscenses and jobs are indirect??? (Sounds like youll be doing a lot of back and forth.)
Fast paced and hard battles
Doesn't sound too bad, I think I'd like to give it a spin. But I doubt we'll ever see this game in Europe...

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
Warhawk scores are pretty strange. Seemed like a title Japan could get behind. It's not worth 9s and 10s, but 28/40 it's not.

Then again it's online only and Japan is literally 1,000 years behind everyone else in accepting online gaming.
Didn't stop FFXI from getting a fantastic review FIVE YEARS AGO.

creamsugar said:

Yes! It seems that Diao Chan does indeed have a new weapon and a new sexed-up look. I'm liking it(her maces really sucked and for a woman who toppled the tyrant Dong Zhuo I think she deserves better than such a crappy moveset. All Zuo Ci did was cast a few magic spells and fly off in a crane and he has better stats than Lu Bu?...Nonsense IMO).

Free mode *yawn* expected. Looks like some minigames have been added. Pot smashing and running with horses...whoo?
The database feature is always handy if you want a cliff notes version of Three Kingdoms.
Really curious about that gamemode in the top right corner though..hmm.

Mandoric

Banned
Yoboman said:
This thread has a disgusting layout, could you make it any harder to read?

That's a good question. Maybe I could unbold the clear section headers? Unbulletpoint all the commentary? Move the info out of the first post and all over the place? Scatter random Japanese which few people can understand, or random babelfish which no one can understand?

Guess I'll have to get to work implementing those.

Edit: On the other hand, more formatting on titles does give it a better feel and readability; thanks, wsippel, for the suggestion.

wsippel

Banned
Mandoric said:
That's a good question. Maybe I could unbold the clear section headers? Unbulletpoint all the commentary? Move the info out of the first post and all over the place? Scatter random Japanese which few people can understand, or random babelfish which no one can understand?

Guess I'll have to get to work implementing those.
I like your summary, great work! Probably the most comprehensive Famitsu summary I've seen so far. The layout could use some work, though. Bold the game titles and scores for reviews, not the details. And space it out a little more. I think that's about it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Warhawk scores are pretty strange.

as much as i like Warhawk it strikes me as a very western title. I don`t see it doing very well here at all unfortunately. I certainly wouldn`t expect the Japanese to pick up on it for a start.

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
Are you trying to say Famitsu doesn't give nice scores to main numbered FF games?
"Nice"? It got 10,9,10,9. That's slightly more than a "nice" score just because it's FF. Besides, they also gave Nobunaga Online 9,9,8,8.
Truth is, Warhawk isn't all that for Japanese gamers.

Top Bottom