• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Readers’ Top-3 Heisei Era Games Are Chrono Trigger, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, NieR: Automata

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
UPDATE: The full list of 20 has been revealed:

1. Chrono Trigger
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. NieR: Automata
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. Okami
6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7. Final Fantasy X
8. Pokémon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow
9. Dragon Quest V
10. Xenogears
11. Vainglory
12. Suikoden II
13. Mother 2 (Earthbound)
14. Splatoon 2
15. Tactics Ogre
16. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Monster Hunter Freedom Unite)
17. Kingdom Hearts
17. (tie) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
19. Final Fantasy XV
20. Final Fantasy XI
20. (tie) Pokémon Diamond & Pearl

---

Chrono_Trigger-1.jpg

The Heisei Era is nearing its end-date of April 30th, 2019. Famitsu reached out to its readers to weigh in on the best games of the era (Sun, Jan 8, 1989 – Tue, Apr 30, 2019).

Reported by Siliconera.

Below are the top-3 best Heisei period games as voted by 7,158 Famitsu readers:
#3 NieR: Automata (205 Votes) – By Square Enix, released on February 23, 2017 (Heisei 29) for the PlayStation 4.
Comments from readers on NieR: Automata:
“No game has ever moved me as much.” (Male, teens)
“This game made me understand feelings that can’t be described by words.” (Female, 20s)
#2 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (209 Votes) – By Nintendo, released on March 3, 2017 (Heisei 29) for the Nintendo Switch and Wii U.
Main-Day
Comments from readers on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
“It felt as if I were living in this land called Hyrule.” (Male, 20s)
“The wonders of being able to go as far as the eyes can see.” (Female, 50s)
#1 Chrono Trigger (230 Votes) – By Square Enix (Then Square), released on March 11, 1995 (Heisei 7) for the Super Famicom
Comments from readers on Chrono Trigger:
“It’s a masterpiece with everything from story, scenario, and music that has yet to fade.” (Male, 30s)
“Going on an adventure beyond time with Crono (protagonist) and the others is a memory that I’ll never forget for the rest of my life.” (Female, 30s)

Interesting to see two relatively new games on the list, juxtaposed against good ol' Chrono Trigger. The complete list of 20 reader-nominated 'Best games of the Heisei Era' has not yet been leaked but will (obviously) be included in the issue of Famitsu.

What are your thoughts? Do all three of these games belong in the pantheon of Best Games of All Time, or do you consider Famitsu's readers to be filthy casuals?

Last edited:

Graciaus

3 amazing games but that's way to long of a time period to only pick 3 titles. I'd have trouble narrowing it down to 100 never mind 3.

Pejo

It's hard to disagree with #1, but the other two I think are being valued way too highly just because they're recent. At least Nier has the trifecta of gameplay/story/music, but even then I wouldn't list it top 3 of that era.

Really surprised that they got so few votes in general, isn't Famitsu still pretty big in Japan?

BigBooper

Never played CT.

I kind of feel BOTW was only such a big hit because so many Nintendo fans are only Nintendo fans and this was the first huge, modern open world Nintendo game.

Nier, I didn't love. I had no interest in the repetitive gameplay design.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I’m not really into Chrono Trigger or Nier Automata, and BotW is pretty good but it would be more a contender for Top 20 for me than Top 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Nier and Zelda being among the very best this gen. The ending E of NA is something you don't see often. Nor the music. And it also has the best cosplay material of the gen, too.

Chrono Trigger is some nostalgia fueled thing, but ok.

Nymphae

Banned
I didn't say that.
Apologies, but your remark to me read like you were saying it was only included because of nostalgia.

My point is that it's way easier to glorify (fairly or not) games that made an impact in the old days that the ones from current or previous gen.

I mean, I guess, even though 2/3 of the list are games released in the past few years. CT easily holds it's own when you get into the nitty gritty though, nostalgia only makes that game that much better.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
#1 Chrono Trigger (230 Votes) – By Square Enix (Then Square), released on March 11, 1995 (Heisei 7) for the Super FamicomComments from readers on Chrono Trigger:“It’s a masterpiece with everything from story, scenario, and music that has yet to fade.” (Male, 30s)“Going on an adventure beyond time with Crono (protagonist) and the others is a memory that I’ll never forget for the rest of my life.” (Female, 30s)
This made me smile :’) Chrono Trigger will always be in my heart forever

Also this:
Where is Gravity rush 1 and 2?
Another great art that was made into a video game. Deserves more recognition☹️

K1Expwy

Automata and BotW are great, but those votes are pretty dismissive of the last 30 years, or even recent memory.

K1Expwy

Sorry, but....

WTF is Heisei Era.
I have no idea.
Japan has their own calendar (they also use the Gregorian MMDDYYYY) and a special name to reflect when each emperor takes the throne. Heisei Era is shorter than usual because the current emperor is retiring (the previous emperor and era, Showa, lasted from 1926 until his passing in 1989). The time periods have a lot of meaning (kind of like "oh man the '60s amirite"), and Japan is currently reflecting on fashion and events and other stuff since 1989.

edit: already answered, oh well

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
BOTW to a certain degree, the question is how is it any better than OOT? Who did so much in the 90s on a less powerful console.

Ozrimandias

Japan has their own calendar (they also use the Gregorian MMDDYYYY) and a special name to reflect when each emperor takes the throne. Heisei Era is shorter than usual because the current emperor is retiring (the previous emperor and era, Showa, lasted from 1926 until his passing in 1989). The time periods have a lot of meaning (kind of like "oh man the '60s amirite"), and Japan is currently reflecting on fashion and events and other stuff since 1989.

edit: already answered, oh well
Thanks....i understand now and...agree. Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPG of All time (FFVI second to me)

Geki-D

Banned
Nier Automata was a good game, but I wouldn't put it at the top of anything. Besides maybe hottest main character.
“No game has ever moved me as much.” (Male, teens)
Yeah, I bet it moved you teen male. I bet it moved you through a whole box of tissues. And i ain't talking about emotional tears.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Chrono Trigger is by far one of the greatest 2D JRPG's ever created. I don't think Squaresoft/Square-Enix could make a better 2D game. Seiken Densetsu 3 maybe.

BOTW to a certain degree, the question is how is it any better than OOT? Who did so much in the 90s on a less powerful console.
That's true. At the time, Ocarina of Time was on a whole other level. BOTW was really good, but the dungeons felt like they were created by the same architect.

Times change. People who may have absolutely adored OOT or Chrono Trigger could no longer be part of the equation. Look at how many copies of Final Fantasy 7 were sold. Will the remake or another Final Fantasy ever come close? You could have gathered 7,000 people where they gamed during this era and not that one. Some people hate the way certain tech looks, so they go for the game with better graphics or controls.

Was the reveal for Ocarina of Time less exciting as Breath of the Wild? You were already hyped over the Spaceworld tech demo that was suppose to be the real game. The Zelda that never came out for the Wii U.

I was super excited to get Breath of the Wild. But then you also had to craft your food, your weapons would break, and the game was a straight shot to the end.

Nier: Automata is good, but I feel like running through the area. I don't try to absorb a lot of emotions along the way. I can say its an awesome game though.

blackjon24

While Chrono trigger is unquestionably a masterpiece without any faults I feel like nier automata and breath of the wild don't really belong in the conversation even though I enjoyed both.

The reason why is simple

Nier Automata - Route B
Breath of the wild - Weapon breaking

These blemishes will forever hold these back for me

Last edited:
I kind of feel BOTW was only such a big hit because so many Nintendo fans are only Nintendo fans and this was the first huge, modern open world Nintendo game.
It wasn't Nintendo's first modern open world game - Xenoblade Chronicles, for example. And Nintendo has been home to games like Legend of Zelda, Dragon Quest, and Mario 64 - all open world games, though probably not by your definition of "modern open world". However, the first modern open world game (Body Harvest) was on the N64, so it isn't like Nintendo fans are unfamiliar with the concept.

The reason BotW was a big hit is because it was a systematic game - like Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft, or GTA 3 - but extremely accessible (maybe more so than GTA3 even), where everything works together in fun and surprising ways, but which creates a new and unique play experience for every player.

I can understand Chrono Trigger, it's fantastic game. But other BOTW and Nier, while great games, aren't among top3. Even counting only Japanese

BigBooper

It wasn't Nintendo's first modern open world game - Xenoblade Chronicles, for example. And Nintendo has been home to games like Legend of Zelda, Dragon Quest, and Mario 64 - all open world games, though probably not by your definition of "modern open world". However, the first modern open world game (Body Harvest) was on the N64, so it isn't like Nintendo fans are unfamiliar with the concept.

The reason BotW was a big hit is because it was a systematic game - like Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft, or GTA 3 - but extremely accessible (maybe more so than GTA3 even), where everything works together in fun and surprising ways, but which creates a new and unique play experience for every player.
Fair enough. I guess I would also say it had widespread appeal, which I wouldn't assume something like Xenoblade would have, but you're right. I don't think people are wrong to like it. I love systemic games too. To me, the systems just seemed shallow.

Happy to see Chrono Trigger there. When I finally picked up the DS version and replayed it 2 years ago I wasn't expecting it to hold up to my memories, but it did.

Haha, I know what I'm getting myself in for.

Edit: I'm actually surprised Nier: Automata and BotW ranked so highly. Fine games but must be a younger generation voting?
It's very common with Famitsu readers and the new hotness, FFXIII for example did really good with Famitsu reader polls for awhile......

Also don't mistake that for me comparing Nier/BOTW to FFXIII........

LordKite

Neo Member
I can see how all three of these games are up here. While I personally prefer Final Fantasu VI to Chrono Trigger, Chrono Trigger deserves the spot. I disliked Breath of the Wild because I hate hate hate open world games with poorly defined routes or goals, and while I knew "Go fight 4 sacred beasts then ganon" was the route, it was too Open World for me. Those games burn me out hard, very quickly.

As a complete outlier in this thread, I think Nier Automata is the clearest choice for a new game, especially in a Japanese setting. Nier Automata is my personal game of the console generation, far and above anything anything else that has came out of PC, PS4, Xbone, and Switch. It did make me feel emotions, it was a wild wonderful ride and absolutely worth every iota of time. I even sacrificed my save without backing it up, and felt satisfied doing so. So I'm glad it's getting solid recognition. Interested to see the rest of the list.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm surprised Monster Hunter isn't there... Or even Final Fantasy X.

n0razi

I would switch OoT for BotW, I personally liked MM better but OoT was genre defining

Last edited:
Can't argue with this list and I'm pleasantly surprised by Automata's inclusion. Automata is the culmination of everything video games having been building up to be for decades. The music, the graphics, the gameplay, the story and holy shit the dialogues, everything comes together perfectly and it's the one game I'd pick as the medium representative. If there was a person out there that never played games and asked me what's the fuss about, I'd point them to Automata and tell 'em to just fucking play it.

It's certainly my favorite game of all time.

Top Bottom