• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Readers pick Demon's Souls as the best PlayStation 3 game ever

Mman235

Good.

(well, I'd put later PS3 Dark Souls games above it but I'd exempt them as multiplat games anyway, even if this list apparently doesn't).

neoemonk

There's a strong argument to be made for Demon's Souls but FF XIII? Hell no.

I say this as a person who completed it in 2010, lost my save file, played through it fresh this year, and got the platinum trophy. I like it a lot and I wouldn't put it in the top five on the system.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Dragon's Dogma at number 10, not bad at all.

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE SEQUEL CAPCPOM?!

Or the PS4 port

DD Online for us westerners, at least...?

...no?

Okay...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A top ten for me would look something like:

1. Afrika
2. Beyond: Two Souls
3. Heavy Rain
4. Tokyo Jungle
5. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time
6. Ratchet and Clank: Future Tools of Destruction
7. Aquanaut's Holiday
8. Rain
9. Valkyria Chronicles
10. Uncharted 1

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Where is LBP2?

image.php

Yeah, I do remember a considerable presence of Japanese creators for at least the first game. Guess it's fallen off the brain train.

Drencrom

1. Afrika
3. Heavy Rain
4. Tokyo Jungle
7. Aquanaut's Holiday
8. Rain
9. Valkyria Chronicles
10. Uncharted 1

Interesting list. What makes you put Uncharted 1 over Uncharted 2?

Lothars

1. Afrika
3. Heavy Rain
4. Tokyo Jungle
7. Aquanaut's Holiday
8. Rain
9. Valkyria Chronicles
10. Uncharted 1
Is it still worthwhile to go and play Afrika now? I've always wanted to play it but I honestly forgot it got released.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The sample size is too small to be meaningful.

rank statistics are complicated in general, but 4000 is an enormous sample size given a population of 50,000,000 or so japanese gamers and assuming good sampling design... and in this case, the population of interest is narrower, it's famitsu readers, so you have tons of power. the only real sampling design issue is self-selection of certain kinds of readers over others, but even then *shrug*

1. Afrika
3. Heavy Rain
4. Tokyo Jungle
7. Aquanaut's Holiday
8. Rain
9. Valkyria Chronicles
10. Uncharted 1

Dang, I always wanted to play Aquanaut's Holiday PS3. Did you play the rare and now ludicrously expensive Korean version with English subs per chance?

And Rain is a hidden gem.

More evidence that I should take it off my shelf and actually play it.

Although it is gonna be hard to top Dark. Your first Souls is always the best.

Inviusx

MAG better than Persona 5 confirmed! I've been saying this for years but everyone just thought I was crazy!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is it still worthwhile to go and play Afrika now? I've always wanted to play it but I honestly forgot it got released.

It's very expensive to buy now and some of the online functionality has been turned off. But I think whether you like it or not is not going to depend on the fact that you're jumping in late, but rather whether or not the game's design works for you and you can forgive its flaws.

I made a Late to the Party thread in 2014 where I shared some of my photos and talked about what I liked about the game and how I think reviewers missed the mark on it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=822298

ranmafan

I like that choice. Demons souls is easily my number one game for the PS3 and maybe of the generation too. One of my favorite gaming experiences of the last ten years.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nice. My #1 pick as well.

1. Demon's Souls
  2. Dark Souls*
  3. Dark Souls II*
  4. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen*
  5. Dragon's Crown
  6. Borderlands 2*
  7. Uncharted 2
  8. The Last of Us
  9. Resident Evil 5 **
  10. Rock Band II **

* Prefer the PC version by far, but still a great game
** Actually played them on 360, but w/e, I'm sure the PS3 versions are fine too

Just goes to show if you get off the internet bubble a large amount of people(at least in Japan) liked Xiii. Now make a list of female characters bey lightning wins too
Xiii stay winning

Wow, I did not expect to see Nier at #6. People took a long time to discover it (including myself).

Also, no Catherine? That's kinda surprising.

Nier, strikes again.

6 years on still proving how out-of-touch the critics were.

I only learned recently that the New York Times gave it a very thoughtful review on release:
Nier is fairly violent. It is often profane. It is also provocative and at times profound in its storytelling, empathetic and nuanced in its characters, exhilaratingly diverse in its game-play design and almost perfectly paced.
The newspaper of record, indeed.

Lothars

It's very expensive to buy now and some of the online functionality has been turned off. But I think whether you like it or not is not going to depend on the fact that you're jumping in late, but rather whether or not the game's design works for you and you can forgive its flaws.

I made a Late to the Party thread in 2014 where I shared some of my photos and talked about what I liked about the game and how I think reviewers missed the mark on it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=822298
Awesome, I will take a look at your link. thanks :)

Seems surreal to see Persona 5 on this list actually. I keep forgetting that a) it's out already in Japan and b) there's a PS3 version.

Kanann

15. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Try doing more than 30 quests or save over 20 times and send the vote again.

1. Demon’s Souls (288)

I fainted.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The best of all time.

Top Bottom