• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu-Readers rank the Top 50 Nintendo-titles of ALL TIME

Garou

The bonus-catalog included in the current issue (discussed here) contains the result to a survey held on Famitsu.com between 12/7 and 12/11. (Multiple answers possible)

1. Super Mario Bros. NES
2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time N64
3. Super Mario 64 N64
4. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past SNES
5. Mother 2 SNES
6. Xenoblade Wii
7. Legend of Zelda NES
8. Super Mario RPG SNES
9. Smash Bros. Melee GC
10. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Wii
11. Fire Emblem – Seisen no Keifu SNES
12. Famicom Mukashi-banashi Famicom-DiscDrive
13. Super Mario Kart SNES
14. Famicom Tantei Club Part II Famicom-DiscDrive
15. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker GC
16. Fire Emblem – Monsho no Nazo SNES
17. Legend of Zelda – Links Awakening GB
18. Super Mario World SNES
19. Super Mario Sunshine GC
19. Smash Bros. Brawl Wii
21. Donkey Kong Country SNES
22. Ice Climber NES
23. Mother NES
24. F-ZERO SNES
25. Kirby Super Star SNES
26. Mario Kart Wii Wii
27. Mario Kart 64 N64
28. Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Pikachu GB
29. Super Mario Bros. 3 NES
30. Super Mario Galaxy Wii
31. Star Fox SNES
32. Magical Vacation GBA
33. Kirbys Air Ride GC
34. Golf NES
35. Joy Mech Fight NES
36. Donkey Kong Country 2 SNES
37. Super Mario 64 DS DS
38. Legend of Zelda – Twilight Princess Wii
39. Legend of Zelda – Majoras Mask N64
40. Animal Crossing: Wild World DS
41. Donkey Kong NES
42. Smash Bros. N64
42. Volley Ball Famicom-DiscDrive
44. Banjo-Tooie N64
45. Baseball NES
46. Famicom Tantei Club Famicom-DiscDrive
47. Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi NES
48. Metroid Famicom-DiscDrive
48. Metroid II – Return of Samus GB
50. Super Mario: Yoshis Island SNES

Thoughts:
- It seems in the wake of Skyward Sword that Zelda is quite booming.
- Xenoblade best Wii-game! Wow! And NoA had to be pushed to recognize it...
- The Mother-series follows two Mario and two Zelda-entries at 5!
- Yoshis Island BARELY made the list. As if no one remembers it in Japan...

wow lack of super metroid is disappointing

also, was xenoblade really that good? i may seriously pick it up once it comes stateside now..

I was going to laugh about this finally being proof that no one likes Adventures of Link, but there's no Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Fzero GX, or SF 64 on that list. And what of Goldeneye/PD?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Mother but not Mother 3? No Paper Mario, F-Zero GX or Super Metroid? List fail.

At least Xenoblade and Skyward Sword got in the top 10.

CSX

The old Fire Emblems were that good? Did they have similar gameplay to the modern ones that got international releases?

Strange list...

Magical Vacation GBA wasn't that populair, but still makes the list and the first DS game ranks in at number 40?!

Alrus

Mario Sunshine was a mediocre mario game and doesn't deserve to be on that list and certainly not that high...

Weenerz

Banned
Sunshine higher than Galaxy, Galaxy 2 not on list, this list fucking stinks.

Yoshi's Island is 50? WHAT THE FUCK! Game is much better than half of that list.

SMB #1? No Super Metroid? NES Golf better than any Metroid game? Fucking VOLLEYBALL???

W T F

1) Super Metroid
2) LttP
3) SMB 3

Those are just facts. They cannot be disputed.

Xenoblade & Banjo Tooie (so awesome that it sneaks its way into a Nintendo game list when it shouldn't actually be there!) FTW! Respect +1 for Famitsu's readers!

[Nintex]

Famitsu readers are usually a strange lot stuck in a time loop. Just look at the latest most wanted list:
01. [Wii] Dragon Quest X
02. [PS3] Dragon’s Dogma
03. [PSP] Photo Kano
04. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4
05. [PSV] Persona 4: The Golden
06. [3DS] Animal Crossing
07. [3DS] New Love Plus
08. [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
09. [PS3] Asura’s Wrath
10. [3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations
11. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Musou
12. [PS3] Final Fantasy Versus XIII
13. [PS3] The Last Remnant
14. [PSP] God Eater 2
15. [PS3] Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayoneka Arena
16. [PSP] Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: MK II
17. [PSV] Tales of Innocence R
18. [3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
19. [PS3] The Last Guardian
20. [PS3] 2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generation

The Last Remnant for PS3? Wut?

No:

A million times this.

I like SMB1 more than most people nowadays, but it isn't a better game than, say, Mario 3. It's one of a very small number of games from that time that hold up really well, but it only deserves top spot of you're giving it symbolic praise for its importance, not its actual quality.

Garou

I like SMB1 more than most people nowadays, but it isn't a better game than, say, Mario 3. It's one of a very small number of games from that time that hold up really well, but it only deserves top spot of you're giving it symbolic praise for its importance, not its actual quality.

But is huge nostalgia not also part of a games quality? Nostalgia comes from the good impression it had on you back then so I guess it should count.

Surprised by the lack of Metroid Prime or F-Zero GX. They're some of the best entries in their respective franchises and their transition to 3D gaming was amazing.

Is Xenoblade that good?

Metroid Prime is the best Nintendo game, not even on the list too, embarrassing.

I actually reckon it's just because Famitsu are Japanese and this is essentially a list based on Japanese taste; Prime series was never popular there AFAIK, so I wouldn't expect Famitsu to state something different.

By the same token, it's more surprising that Donkey Kong county returns is not there on that list, since it's much more appealing to Japanese market and sold quite a bunch as well.

But is huge nostalgia not also part of a games quality? Nostalgia comes from the good impression it had on you back then so I guess it should count.

Eh. It's hard for it not to count, but it's not really the best way to judge something.

SMB isn't even my objection to the list. There's many, many worse things than what is in 1st place.

Salih

Is Xenoblade that good?

More than that. It's brilliant and easily one of the best if not the best JRPG of all time. but don't ask me - Famitsu-readers said that - and i wholeheartedly agree.

A lot of people missing out one of the finest games ever crafted. It's really a shame.

Honestly, if I would make a top 50 list of Nintendo titles Xenoblade would be definetly in it.
Yes. Easily one of the best RPGs around.
More than that. It's brilliant and easily one of the best if not the best JRPG of all time. but don't ask me - Famitsu-readers said that - and i wholeheartedly agree.

A lot of people missing out one of the finest games ever crafted. It's really a shame.
Did a little reading on Wikipedia and the reception was pretty amazing. I'm baffled by NoA's decision to not bring the game over when the Wii is basically dragging itself across the floor like a zombie.

Top Bottom