• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Famitsu reveals brand new info on Dark Souls (Demon's Souls spiritual sequel)

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
5
0
39
canova said:
describe what's in the scans

Half the page is cut off, the left side is completely out of focus, and there's heavy light reflection as well making one of the screens completely flashed out. Japanese "scans" are awesome!
 

Canova

Banned
Jan 23, 2009
6,851
0
0
duckroll said:
Half the page is cut off, the left side is completely out of focus, and there's heavy light reflection as well making one of the screens completely flashed out. Japanese "scans" are awesome!

lol, oh well


tomorrow can't some soon enough
 

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sep 1, 2006
59,059
2,186
1,935
-
canova said:
describe what's in the scans
What I see is amazing.

While the scans really are shitty, you can clearly see that it looks better than Demon's Souls. There's definitely more color (but still gritty so the atmosphere won't take a hit I think).

I see ghouls like the ones from 5-x equipped with gigantic shields! That's gonna be fun to deal with. There's a big dragon like enemy with armor and a rhino-like enemy. They're both quite big but definitely not bosses. We also see a HUGE fucking rat (?) in a sewer.
 

Canova

Banned
Jan 23, 2009
6,851
0
0
Yoshichan said:
What I see is amazing.

While the scans really are shitty, you can clearly see that it looks better than Demon's Souls. There's definitely more color (but still gritty so the atmosphere won't take a hit I think).

I see ghouls like the ones from 5-x equipped with gigantic shields! That's gonna be fun to deal with. There's a big dragon like enemy with armor and a rhino-like enemy. They're both quite big but definitely not bosses. We also see a HUGE fucking rat (?) in a sewer.


eww, first we got big spider, then we got that vagina dentata, now giant rat. From knows how to push our button
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
5
0
39
I don't think that's a rat. Looks kinda like a dragon in a dungeon. Why would a giant rat have horns?

Edit: I zoomed in to full res, and the text actually says it's a giant rat. It also says that the white transparent figure to the left is a summoned player in network mode. Lulz.
 

ezekial45

Banned
Aug 4, 2006
24,273
1
0
34
San Francisco, California
I'm sorry that Atlus doesn't have another crack at publishing it. They did a stellar job with publishing a game, that was in many ways, bigger than their company. Then again, i doubt they would've, since Sony themselves said that passing over the game for western release was a mistake.

I'm just worried that NB is gonna release a crap load of DLC packs or something. I don't want to see DLC for 10000 souls (or whatever the in game currency is) for $3.
 

Foffy

Banned
May 14, 2009
22,560
2
0
ezekial45 said:
I'm sorry that Atlus doesn't have another crack at publishing it. They did a stellar job with publishing a game, that was in many ways, bigger than their company.

I'm just worried that NB is gonna release a crap load of DLC packs or something. I don't want to see DLC for 10000 souls (or whatever the in game currency is) for $3.

NB is handling publishing outside of Japan IIRC, so maybe From doesn't have to cave into their desires.
 

gcubed

Member
Mar 7, 2007
25,836
0
0
Foster City, CA
360 only owners need to experience the pain, anger, stress and eventually sheer enjoyment of demons souls, so i'm glad this sounds like its going to be very similar and difficult. Nothing gets the heart pumping like when you are finally able to run through an area without dying only to have someone invade your world, getting prepared for the eventual fight.
 

Canova

Banned
Jan 23, 2009
6,851
0
0
Foffy said:
NB is handling publishing outside of Japan IIRC, so maybe From doesn't have to cave into their desires.

I'm gonna buy both Japanese and NA version anyway, I'm gonna import the Japanese version, then buy NA collector edition later
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
5
0
39
canova said:
I'm gonna buy both Japanese and NA version anyway, I'm gonna import the Japanese version, then buy NA collector edition later

What makes you think they're not coming out on the exact same day?
 

Gorgon

Member
Dec 7, 2008
2,398
7
870
Finland
duckroll said:
I don't think that's a rat. Looks kinda like a dragon in a dungeon. Why would a giant rat have horns?

Edit: I zoomed in to full res, and the text actually says it's a giant rat. It also says that the white transparent figure to the left is a summoned player in network mode. Lulz.

Japanese dont know what the difference between a giant rat and a dragon is confirmed.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
5
0
39
Gorgon said:
Japanese dont know what the difference between a giant rat and a dragon is confirmed.

No, the "scan" is just really bad, and I was mistaken. I think the "horns" are actually ears, and it definitely has whiskers...
 

Zzoram

Member
Apr 17, 2007
33,493
0
0
canova said:
I'm gonna buy both Japanese and NA version anyway, I'm gonna import the Japanese version, then buy NA collector edition later
I'm considering a Japanese import for the first time ever. Do Japanese ps3 games work with north American ps3s without a problem? Do we need to use a Japanese PSN account to go online? It might be cool to play in Japanese for a more cryptic feel.
 

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jul 22, 2009
24,134
1
0
29
Zzoram said:
I'm considering a Japanese import for the first time ever. Do Japanese ps3 games work with north American ps3s without a problem? Do we need to use a Japanese PSN account to go online? It might be cool to play in Japanese for a more cryptic feel.
You can play them just fine and you don't need a Japanese PSN account to play it, but it would be required for DLC if it has any.
 

Pumpkins

Member
Mar 21, 2009
1,030
0
0
Is there a link confirming that the game is for the 360, or is this information from the scan?
 

oracrest

Member
Feb 6, 2006
5,239
1
0
40
www.youtube.com
canova said:
describe what's in the scans

All the enemies look terrifying. Looks like he is facing off against an upright walking dragon man?

Looks like they are showing off the co-op with the giant diseased sewer rat.

Can't wait!
 

Canova

Banned
Jan 23, 2009
6,851
0
0
the giant rat is creepy and disgusting. I swear, From knows how to make good believable monster
 

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
May 1, 2007
5,919
1
0
Boise
Pumpkins said:
Is there a link confirming that the game is for the 360, or is this information from the scan?

This was announced back at TGS. It will be PS3 exclusive in Japan and Namco will publish it on the PS3 and 360 in Europe and the US.
 
Jul 19, 2009
4,458
164
1,135
It really looks ike they went this way :

So player liked this this and this in DS. Let's keep all that and try to improve other elements : more items, exploration, better coop...


Perfect way of thinking.
 

Pumpkins

Member
Mar 21, 2009
1,030
0
0
Captain Pants said:
This was announced back at TGS. It will be PS3 exclusive in Japan and Namco will publish it on the PS3 and 360 in Europe and the US.

Wow, that's great news. I wasn't aware that the game was a spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls! So awesome.
 

ZephyrFate

Banned
Jun 24, 2008
14,214
0
0
www.paeantodreams.wordpress.com
I liked the first game, despite being stupidly difficult, but I think I'll only buy this one if there's local co-op (not just online). I would love to play a game like Demon's Souls with my best friend in the safety of the same living room.
 

Zoe

Member
Jan 3, 2007
45,101
2
1,075
39
Austin
I wonder how they'll handle the transition from life to death without a Nexus hub.
 

falconzss

Member
Dec 12, 2008
1,814
0
0
My anticipation meter is going through the roof.

From, just take my money.

 

AranhaHunter

Banned
Mar 20, 2006
10,669
0
0
ezekial45 said:
I'm sorry that Atlus doesn't have another crack at publishing it. They did a stellar job with publishing a game, that was in many ways, bigger than their company. Then again, i doubt they would've, since Sony themselves said that passing over the game for western release was a mistake.

I'm just worried that NB is gonna release a crap load of DLC packs or something. I don't want to see DLC for 10000 souls (or whatever the in game currency is) for $3.

That's the main thing people have to worry about, I actually prefer no DLC, but we all know it's coming since Scamco is doing the publishing, but the game is probably going to be fantastic regardless.
 

Zeliard

Member
Apr 23, 2008
34,712
0
0
37
I'm curious as to how character-creation will work this time around.

It's probably a good thing that it's not class-based anymore since in Demon's Souls, the class you chose was only relevant for the early game. They all ended up homogenized and it didn't particularly matter what you started it off since you could end up doing and wearing anything. All classes impacted were your starting stats and gear, basically.
 

Canova

Banned
Jan 23, 2009
6,851
0
0
AranhaHunter said:
That's the main thing people have to worry about, I actually prefer no DLC, but we all know it's coming since Scamco is doing the publishing, but the game is probably going to be fantastic regardless.

First and foremost this is From Soft IP, not Bamco, and From soft publishing this game themselves in Japan, so I think they have content control on this not Bamco.
 

ezekial45

Banned
Aug 4, 2006
24,273
1
0
34
San Francisco, California
Zeliard said:
I'm curious as to how character-creation will work this time around.

It's probably a good thing that it's not class-based anymore since in Demon's Souls, the class you chose was only relevant for the early game. They all ended up homogenized and it didn't particularly matter what you started it off since you could end up doing and wearing anything. All classes impacted were your starting stats and gear, basically.

I'm assuming they're just gonna have blank slate characters and you can build your stats in anyway you want. I just hope they balance the game enough to suit whichever type of character you have. In Demon's Souls, if you had a magic focused character, you still had to have strong melee attack power and and a good weapon just to survive.
 

Raide

Member
Oct 29, 2007
24,342
1
0
- The character creation process will not be class based.
- The play style of the player character will have much more freedom this time.
- There will be many more spells and items, and the animation and uniqueness of weapons will also be increased.

Are they just having it stat based so you can just make a certain type of class via the tweaking of stats? i.e. higher int for spell-caster class etc.

With co-op planned, I wonder if there will be a healer type class?

4 Player co-op please!!!
 

sixteen-bit

Member
Aug 16, 2006
169,296
27
0
Raide said:
Are they just having it stat based so you can just make a certain type of class via the tweaking of stats? i.e. higher int for spell-caster class etc.

With co-op planned, I wonder if there will be a healer type class?

4 Player co-op please!!!
:eek: this would be my bro game
 

Zoe

Member
Jan 3, 2007
45,101
2
1,075
39
Austin
hteng said:
i went to 2ch for more info, what a fucking cesspool of shit there was. all urls to pictures (indicating those are scans) are fakes or porn or virus links. so much worse than 4chan. arg... gonna wait for 4gamer i guess.

Never click on a link on 2ch unless it points to another thread. Always copy and paste the text.
 

Canova

Banned
Jan 23, 2009
6,851
0
0
Raide said:
Are they just having it stat based so you can just make a certain type of class via the tweaking of stats? i.e. higher int for spell-caster class etc.

With co-op planned, I wonder if there will be a healer type class?

4 Player co-op please!!!

4 vs 4 PvP
 

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sep 1, 2006
59,059
2,186
1,935
-
DEFINITELY whiskers so it must be a rad :D

edit: I'm super old :lol
 

falconzss

Member
Dec 12, 2008
1,814
0
0
Raide said:
Are they just having it stat based so you can just make a certain type of class via the tweaking of stats? i.e. higher int for spell-caster class etc.

With co-op planned, I wonder if there will be a healer type class?

4 Player co-op please!!!

i wouldn't leave my house anymore. demon's souls sucked me in so bad, i'm somehow glad my ps3 broke and saved me.
 

Joei

Member
Nov 20, 2006
3,021
1
875
SnakeXs said:

This girl is awesome.


As for the OP, what's the release on this game again? I thought I read this year, but didn't know if there was an official announcement. If so, then there are soooooooo many games that I'm excited for. I really can't wait for this one. I spent this past spring and summer engrossed in Demon's Souls. I was hooked like a fish.
 

mjemirzian

Banned
Jul 9, 2009
1,846
0
0
www.tbstactics.com
Let's see.. p2p or client oriented connection model + ps3 being cracked like a walnut = someone's gonna pop up in your game and make crazy stuff happen just to grief you.

As if the monsters aren't terrifying enough!
 

Hahaq8

Member
Jan 31, 2009
103
0
820
OMG everything sounds goooooooood, Demon's souls is the best game i played in my life and dark souls i think it will be better :D wow really can't wait.
 

Zzoram

Member
Apr 17, 2007
33,493
0
0
Domcorleone said:
i wonder if they called it Dark Souls because Sony owns the IP to demon souls so they couldnt port it over to 360?
You don't have to wonder. It's a fact.

Sony was a bad publisher, refusing to publish the game outside Japan. This time they opted for another publisher but Sony keeps the rights to the name.
 

AranhaHunter

Banned
Mar 20, 2006
10,669
0
0
canova said:
First and foremost this is From Soft IP, not Bamco, and From soft publishing this game themselves in Japan, so I think they have content control on this not Bamco.

You're being too optimistic.