• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu reveals brand new info on Dark Souls (Demon's Souls spiritual sequel)

duckroll

Gen X said:
He obviously never made it far enough to trigger one. Perhaps instead of checkpoints he should request a 'hand-holding' mode.

:D

I think they should definitely include a multiplayer hand-holding mode, literally. A group of us could get in a game together. One of us holds his hand literally, like in Ico and drags him along the right path, while players in front and behind take care of all the enemies! He'll beat the game in no time! :lol

In the new game, you have to talk to a chicken with one gold feather while wearing a red hat while standing in the far northwest corner of the second castle at night in order to revive a ghost who can lead you to a magician who can teach you how to perform a sheild spell that the game is nearly impossible to beat without.

Teknoman said:
You guys do know there were sorta checkpoints in DS right? Go stand in any area in the game and then go back to the title screen/shut the game off. I believe you'll restart in the exact same spot. With the same amount of souls too...so its not like you had to finish an area in one go.
Kenshinav.jpg

The fuck? I finished the game at SL 120 or so. I honestly didn't know that. I kinda knew about turning the system off if dying before the main hub was loaded to prevent the loss of your souls, but never tried it either.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Expanded scope and freedom, and retention of challenge and unique core style? Sign me up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
why didn't Sony green-light a direct sequel?

duckroll

The title is actually Dark Souls in English, for some reason the plural didn't carry across to the Japanese title. I corrected it in the OP.

Alastor

Sounds great. I want more screens!

Demon's Souls is my most played PS3 game. I guess I'll buy this day one to support devs and play it whenever I'll get the console again.

oh god it's releasing this year but i'm not ready i haven't finished playing through demon's souls yet !oh yea it's just a spiritual sequel my bad

LaneDS

I know they couldn't be posted, but did the preview have accompanying screens?

Sounds incredible in any case! And I think the title is a nice nod to the original as well as an improvement (Demon's Souls always sounded a little odd).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So it's like Demon's Souls, but with seamless levels and an emphasis on explorations?

Fuck.

Yes.

Everything sounds great. This is the real deal right here.

duckroll

LaneDS said:
I know they couldn't be posted, but did the preview have accompanying screens?

Sounds incredible in any case! And I think the title is a nice nod to the original as well as an improvement (Demon's Souls always sounded a little odd).

Yes, it's a full blown unveil, with tons of screenshots from what I'm reading. There are descriptions from people who have the mag of various things shown in the screens which hint at game locations, story, NPCs, etc. I'm not translating that because I feel it's not very meaningful without having seen the screens myself. So it's best to wait for direct feed stuff later this week. It sounds really yummy though.

The M.O.B

There is no reason they shouldn't have an "easy" mode that opens the game up to a lot more people.

The easy mode would have more checkpoints, more health, and less annoying enemies. But they could still have a hard mode for those who were fine with the difficulty of Demon Souls.

No reason not to unless they are hell bent on earning that "Hardest game of all time" title.

EDIT: and yes, I played through Demon Souls fyi

duckroll

The M.O.B said:
There is no reason they shouldn't have an "easy" mode that opens the game up to a lot more people.

The easy mode would have checkpoints, more health, and less annoying enemies. But they could still have a hard mode for those who were fine with the difficulty of Demon Souls.

No reason not to unless they are hell bent on earning that "Hardest game of all time" title.

Go play Ubisoft games instead.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
duckroll said:
Yes, it's a full blown unveil, with tons of screenshots from what I'm reading. There are descriptions from people who have the mag of various things shown in the screens which hint at game locations, story, NPCs, etc. I'm not translating that because I feel it's not very meaningful without having seen the screens myself. So it's best to wait for direct feed stuff later this week. It sounds really yummy though.
Sweet dreams are made of this stuff.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if you can read this, duckroll's massive penis has retracted

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Awesome. I'm in. Again.

Zeliard said:
I truly hope they don't give in to the whiny fucks and do something to hurt the challenge.

Why would they? Demon's Souls was incredibly well received because of how challenging but fair it was.

Gravijah said:
I hope it's easier to play with friends this time.

i hope not, i want another mute world. hell, someone tell FS to remove the head of every player invading/joining. writhe in horror, alone.

Teknoman

Fixes my number one complaint about the first game too: Lack of equipment variety/animations. The game looked and sounded amazing (hopefully they stick with no music aside from boss themes and main rest area themes), but a decent variety of equipment+unique animations is always nice.

Augemitbutter said:
i hope not, i want another mute world. hell, someone tell FS to remove the head of every player invading/joining. writhe in horror, alone.

Compromise. People on friends list = voice chat. Not on friends list? Play as a mute stranger. They could even make it fit in with the way the world works, similar to the stones in Demon's Souls.

TigerUppercut said:
Why would they? Demon's Souls was incredibly well received because of how challenging but fair it was.
Well I am a bit skeptical on Namco, but I have faith that FROM Software will not deviate from the challenge factor.

The M.O.B said:

The easy mode would have checkpoints, more health, and less annoying enemies. But they could still have a hard mode for those who were fine with the difficulty of Demon Souls.

How do you reconcile a noob mode with the online element of the game? You really are playing the wrong game if you want easier difficulty or even a difficulty level. The design of Demon's Souls is intentionally oppressive: there is danger at every corner. You are not welcome at all.

A noob mode would spoil that vision of the game.

Kyoufu

Zeliard said:
I truly hope they don't give in to the whiny fucks and do something to hurt the challenge.

I don't think they should ignore obvious flaws either though. Nothing good about being invaded while trying to summon your friend, losing your human form and then having to use either a rare item or killing a boss for another opportunity to play with a friend again. I don't know about you but that needs work.

LaneDS

duckroll said:

Rad. Looking forward to whenever From releases some of that material online.

Kyoufu said:
I don't think they should ignore obvious flaws either though. Nothing good about being invaded while trying to summon your friend, losing your human form and then having to use either a rare item or killing a boss for another opportunity to play with a friend again. I don't know about you but that needs work.
Whether that's an "obvious flaw" or not is debatable. I think a more legit flaw is the aiming and lock-on system.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The M.O.B said:

The easy mode would have more checkpoints, more health, and less annoying enemies. But they could still have a hard mode for those who were fine with the difficulty of Demon Souls.

This is why we can't have nice things.

LaneDS

Teknoman said:
Compromise. People on friends list = voice chat. Not on friends list? Play as a mute stranger. They could even make it fit in with the way the world works, similar to the stones in Demon's Souls.

I think I like that idea, but I also liked how all of my MP in DS was done with total strangers. I remember what many of them did and how they succeeded or failed, but not their names... and that's pretty fantastic in retrospect. I'd like to keep that level of isolation in the sequel. Playing with friends is great, but I'm sort of glad DS was not a game where that ever happened for me.

duckroll

miladesn said:
but that means for a sequel they are stuck with Namco, no?

Maybe. But it's not unusual for a large publisher to make contracts cover a franchise (or at least have first-right to refusal) instead of a single title.

Teknoman said:

i seriously never felt the need to talk to another player via voice or otherwise. games like these are pretty self-explaining. players learned to communicate without words pretty fast and it worked.

Top Bottom