• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu reveals brand new info on Dark Souls (Demon's Souls spiritual sequel)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you knew what you were doing, you had *total* control over world tendency. All you needed to do was go offline.

I also thought that the seasonal world tendency events were great because they added further to the "live" MMORPG-feel.

I'll miss the tendency systems to be honest.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kazuma_pt said:
this game needs a party system! please from, make it easier to play with your friends.
I imagine that's what this is.

duckroll said:
- Instead this time there will be more features allowing players to engage in "mutual role playing" which they say are still under wraps. They'll reveal more when it's time.

Zzoram

Clear said:
If you knew what you were doing, you had *total* control over world tendency. All you needed to do was go offline.

I also thought that the seasonal world tendency events were great because they added further to the "live" MMORPG-feel.

I'll miss the tendency systems to be honest.
Ya holiday events are cool. They can still do world events without world tendency I think.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The prospect of finding your bloodstain in a massive, sprawling, open world is much more daunting without having broken up level start points haha

Zzoram

Diablo 2 hardcore mode was considered the real game by many players. Only the hardcore ladder mattered since it was a real feat to hit level 99 without ever dying once. Also the economy doesn't have inflation since good gear keeps exiting the market with dead characters. Hardcore PvP was the most intense experience.

Despera

Banned
Difficulty still intact? Check.
Easier way to play co-op? Check.
Open world? Check.
No more World Tendency bullshit? Check.
Coming out this year? Check.

My reaction to everything I've read so far?

amGrz.gif

Steroyd

Haunted said:
Well, taking that train of thought to its conclusion, a game that deletes all of your progress (character, progress, savegames etc.) upon dying once must be the most tense experience possible. But that's not at all what people want, because that'd be just plain frustrating.

But Demon Souls doesn't do that exactly, upon dying once you're given one chance to re-do the level and get your experience and stuff back knowing that even the easiest of enemies can cause you trouble if try to rush things too much, that level of tension just doesn't exist in the average game, there are also "checkpoints" in the form of unlocking shortcuts throughout the level, so you don't exactly have to do the whole thing perfectly.

I think Demon Souls nailed it perfectly between not holding your hands, but not forcing you to lose too much progress if you die.

canova said:
yeah I think that's some of us hallucinating :)

yeah what the hell have you people mixed in my drink?! my heart can't take these reality shattering revelations. first the PS1 hardware omission of the PS3 and now this! :D

Zzoram

Steroyd said:
But Demon Souls doesn't do that exactly, upon dying once you're given one chance to re-do the level and get your experience and stuff back knowing that even the easiest of enemies can cause you trouble if try to rush things too much, that level of tension just doesn't exist in the average game, there are also "checkpoints" in the form of unlocking shortcuts throughout the level, so you don't exactly have to do the whole thing perfectly.

I think Demon Souls nailed it perfectly between not holding your hands, but not forcing you to lose too much progress if you die.
Yep. Diablo 2 used the same mechanics with waypoints and retrieving your corpse and that game achieved mainstream appeal selling like 7 million copies on PC.

Oh God this will be amazing.

I'm pleased with everything I've read about it. I'm just wondering how the "no dedicated servers" will really affected the randomness of other people aiding or invading you. Almost no one in my friends list played DS, and I don't think they'll play Dark Souls either. Thus I really liked the fact we could find some stranger via the blue stone or attacking anyone with the black stone.

I hope we'll still be able to play with or against people that are not registered as my friends.

I'm sure there are those that will disagree, but I hope there are fewer hoops to jump through to get the best gear. I'm fine with a reasonable drop rate and being forced to fight difficult enemies to obtain these things, but the drop rate for bladestone was just too annoying for me to bother. I'm definitely looking forward to this coming in the US.

They can leave the 'world' tendency as they had it out of Dark Souls. Maybe bring it back if you ever have another Demon's Souls game. IF anyone remembers, it was way worse and more brutal when the game first came out. They fixed it up a bit, but I was never really happy with how difficult it could make things. Even if you know exactly how to set up your run and do it, but those black-to-white runs can be terrible and if you weren't strong enough you are screwed.

My proposal: Killing a boss gives you a White Orb
Killing a Black Phantom gives you a Black Orb.

You can then use these when you want to change the tendency.

Canova

Banned
InternHertz said:
Oh God this will be amazing.

I'm pleased with everything I've read about it. I'm just wondering how the "no dedicated servers" will really affected the randomness of other people aiding or invading you. Almost no one in my friends list played DS, and I don't think they'll play Dark Souls either. Thus I really liked the fact we could find some stranger via the blue stone or attacking anyone with the black stone.

I hope we'll still be able to play with or against people that are not registered as my friends.

Where did it say 'no dedicated servers'? I read there's no tendencies, so that they don't have to use dedicated servers to handle it.

Dedicated servers will still be there, they just don't have to manage tendencies anymore

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Less loadtimes... that's a huge win.

Also... more animation variety is always great. DS was a mixed bag as far as animation... sometimes great, sometimes decent, sometimes not. Pretty good variety considering the amount of weapons though. Actual weapon attacks were very good when you consider the number of different weapons. My main complaint would be transitional stuff and how two hand hold was always exactly the same whether you had a giant hammer or a tiny dagger. Just nitpicking though, DS was great.

Zeal

Banned
honestly going to miss a direct continuation of demon's souls' epic storyline, but that will be a tale for another day. everything i read about this project confirms it as a more refined, expanded, and beefed up version of DS.

add in a little Shadow of the Colossus exploration, a dash of King's Field fantasy, and the brutal ass pounding of Demon's Souls gameplay.

game of the forever.

Rad-

Wow a Japanese developer actually improving on the things that western gamebase likes. I'm stunned.

canova said:
Where did it say 'no dedicated servers'? I read there's no tendencies, so that they don't have to use dedicated servers to handle it.

Dedicated servers will still be there, they just don't have to manage tendencies anymore
Well I read "There will be no Soul Tendency this time because they don't want to have to use dedicated servers to handle that shit again." as :
Tendency uses Dedicated Server => no Tendency uses no Dedicated Server => no Dedicated Server at all.

Now if it's really just the tendency aspect of the dedicated server they take out, then I'm all for it if the rest is untouched (or improved). Glad to have misread that.

Rad- said:
Wow a Japanese developer actually improving on the things that western gamebase likes. I'm stunned.
IMO, that doesn't seem all that surprising as Demon's Souls was the most Western-feeling Japanese RPG I've played in a long time that wasn't a straight Wizardry title. Seems the same sort of thinking that made DS is simply guiding it in a logical way for this new game.

-Mikey-

I really enjoyed messing around with tendencies. It felt rewarding finding that Primeval Demon when the world was pure black. Tougher enemies and rare spawns. Sure, it was more challenging but that's a major reason it was well received, because it was unique.

Hope there is something similar in the sequel.

Rad- said:
The game seemed about as 'western' oriented as it could when it was first designed. I don't it defines the audience they wanted, just the style they wanted.

Gorgon

- Instead all maps in the game will be linked seamlessly in a connected world. The pace of the game will feel more about exploration and discovering locations, which you can then go inside into a dungeon or whatever and explore the interior further.- There will be more complex level designs in the game using more vertical design in areas and such.

LOOOOOOOVING this focus on discovering stuff and explore at your own pace. DS just got even better.

canova said:
yeah I wanna see this disgusting thing in HD. my bet is tomorrow we'll get to see the official trailer. Bamco USA is holding a press conference Wednesday

Oh shit pleeeeeeeeeeeesee!

this game needs a party system! please from, make it easier to play with your friends.

I think the co-op element will be somewhat more developed this time. I bet they hinted at this in the trailer we saw when we see a group of adventurers gathering around a camfire. Adriansang also says that the game will have you start in a base camp and that as you progess you will find other minor base camps. These will probably act as save points and I bet we will find other players there that we can interact with.

duckroll

The director actually says that they're not using dedicated servers, so there won't be world tendency. Remember, with Demon's Souls, you had to login to a fixed dedicated network hosted by the publisher when playing the game online. This is what is apparently not returning. But all the other network features of the game are still there. You will occasionally see other players moving around, dying, the messages left by other players, etc. There will still be co-op and PvP elements, just like in Demon's Souls. Presumably all these features will now be handled via PSN and XBL itself, instead of through a dedicated separate framework. This also means that PS3 and 360 players will not be able to play with each other.

There are a bit more details about the new online elements too, since the full interview is out. He says that there are two specific areas which are new to the online mode of Dark Souls. One aspect is that you will be able to share your playing experience with friends, and so as you play the game and tackle the various harsh challenges, you won't feel that you're doing it alone, but rather that you have other friends who are also facing the same challenges. This sounds to me like a social networking system built into the game, and might be related to the campfire teaser they showed in the announcement trailer.

The other aspect he mentions is that there will be some sort of mutual roleplaying aspect in the game where each player's game will interact with other players in some way, to extend the roleplaying aspect. It's unclear to me what this actually means at all, and I'm not even sure if it's a good translation of what he's trying to say because of how vague it is. But basically it sounds like the game will feature a lot more interaction in non-direct methods, just like the original game but expanded in ways the team felt would enhance the experience further.

-Mikey- said:
I really enjoyed messing around with tendencies. It felt rewarding finding that Primeval Demon when the world was pure black. Tougher enemies and rare spawns. Sure, it was more challenging but that's a major reason it was well received, because it was unique.

Hope there is something similar in the sequel.
agreed 100%. those primeval demons were so purdy.

what i loved about the tendency system was that it felt cryptic. something strange i hadn't encountered in a game before. i need my next D-Souls game to be cryptic as well. i have faith they have implemented some other odd things/systems this time too.

Gorgon

duckroll said:
There are a bit more details about the new online elements too, since the full interview is out.

Is there a link with a translation for the full interview?

Gorgon

Neon_Icarus said:
Sounds great. I hope the open world design won't compromise the great level design the original had though.

I pretty much doub that. You're imagining a some kind of Oblivionesque massive open worls but it probably wont be that way. There will probably be open air spaces and you will find dungeons that you can enter. Level design solved as far as dungeons go. And then there will probably be some kind of limited branching in the paths you can use to reach other open air areas, a bit like in the first STALKER game, where it wasn't really one single massive area but a bunch of conected areas instead. The difference is that there won't be loading between them. That solves the design problem while at the same time giving you a free-roaming enviroment. It allows for great design control.

duckroll said:
No but the entire interview is summarized in Japanese here along with information about what else is in the preview article, etc: http://so94atg8.blogspot.com/2011/02/f1157-ps3.html

TreIII

Before I played Demon's Souls, it gave me the kind of "fear and respect" for a game that I have not seen since the days when I was playing Solstice on the NES.

Give me more, and I will definitely purchase!

YoungHav

Banned
RustyNails said:
Soul of the mind, key to life's ether. Souls of the lost withdrawn from its vessel. Let strength be granted so the world might be mended. So the world might be mended.
lmao! This is more powerful than saying a Hail Mary.

I really hope they put in VC for the PS3 version since the 360 version will have it by default. The Demon's Souls experience was perfect for Randoms, but just being able to help a friend play by speaking them would be huge here.

duckroll

BobTheFork said:
I really hope they put in VC for the PS3 version since the 360 version will have it by default. The Demon's Souls experience was perfect for Randoms, but just being able to help a friend play by speaking them would be huge here.

Why would the 360 have VC by default?

duckroll

YoungHav said:
wouldn't 360's party chat ruin the isolation/despair aspect? Is there a way for them to disable it for this game?

Well you don't have to use it, plus when you play with random people, or get invaded, since there's no way to know who that person is, voice chat won't be a factor then. I don't think the game will actually have support for in-game voice chat on any platform.

duckroll

BobTheFork said:
oh, I thought the 360 had voice chat built in the OS that worked for every game., like custom sound tracks

Yes but you have to know who you're playing with first right? It's like how you could technically play Demon's Souls with a friend with voice chat if you arrange a summoning specifically to let him join you, and then you talk with him over the phone, or chat over skype or whatever.

duckroll said:
Yes but you have to know who you're playing with first right?
Well, yea but that's who it would be for, friends. As long as you can communicate with players in some way (like Demon's Souls) that's fine, but I really would like a better way to play with people I know without all the set up, and to also talk to them.

edit: About the second point, yeah I guess you could. It would be nice to just have it there but it certainly wasn't necessary in DS.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Are we allowed to discuss scans?

Top Bottom