• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu reveals brand new info on Dark Souls (Demon's Souls spiritual sequel)

YoungHav

Banned
If they're going to do 4 player co-op they need a difficulty increase with each player added to the game. I summoned a soul who was 1 shot killing everything, within 5min I left the game because I wanted a challenge and just beat the whole thing solo.

Requeim

Domcorleone said:
i wonder if they called it Dark Souls because Sony owns the IP to demon souls so they couldnt port it over to 360?

probably

While this sound very awesome (hype +100000 and all that), i really hope Sony does something with the Demon's Souls IP, as i was quite fond of that universe (they're obviously not using any of it in this game)

Thank you for the kind words about the OT. I just wanted to give it some exposure and so glad its still kicking.

What do I have to do to get a copy of this Famitsu issue? What a great thing it would be to have.

Hopefully I can gather all info so far and organize it. Man I'm getting so excited for this.

Whyt are the chances the JPN version will have English localization like DS?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Thank you for the kind words about the OT. I just wanted to give it some exposure and so glad its still kicking.

What do I have to do to get a copy of this Famitsu issue? What a great thing it would be to have.

Hopefully I can gather all info so far and organize it. Man I'm getting so excited for this.

Whyt are the chances the JPN version will have English localization like DS?
The Japanese version didn't have the English localization. The Asian verison did, so you'd look to that if it actually comes out before the US one.

InfiniteNine said:
The Japanese version didn't have the English localization. The Asian verison did, so you'd look to that if it actually comes out before the US one.
Right. My fault that is what I meant. Whoops!

Vieo

I hope they don't put in any enemies like those giant goblins from the valley of defilement. Those things are a pain in the ass. You would think given their size, they would actually be slower than the normal sized goblins, but they aren't. On top of that, they kill in two swings, aaaaand to compound the problem, when you're in the swamp, the muck slows down your movement and disables your ability to dodge/roll away from attacks.

The only way to realistically kill those damn giant bastards consistently, instead of relying on luck, is to find a ledge some where they can't reach and shoot arrows at them, which takes FOREVER since after they get hit, they run off into the shadows and meander back to their original position slowly once the path-finding tells them they can't get to you.

tl;dr No giant goblins.

2San

Requeim said:
While this sound very awesome (hype +100000 and all that), i really hope Sony does something with the Demon's Souls IP, as i was quite fond of that universe (they're obviously not using any of it in this game)
Which developer do you think could do Demon's Souls justice?

Vieo said:
I hope they don't put in any enemies like those giant goblins from the valley of defilement. Those things are a pain in the ass. You would think given their size, they would actually be slower than the normal sized goblins, but they aren't. On top of that, they kill in two swings, aaaaand to compound the problem, when you're in the swamp, the muck slows down your movement and disables your ability to dodge/roll away from attacks.

The only way to realistically kill those damn giant bastards consistently, instead of relying on luck, is to find a ledge some where they can't reach and shoot arrows at them, which takes FOREVER since after they get hit, they run off into the shadows and meander back to their original position slowly once the path-finding tells them they can't get to you.

tl;dr No giant goblins.

Or you can just roll away from their swings and slice their shit up.

subversus said:
He is in the swamp.

Well, get out of the swamp and stay on solid land? Or aggro them from the swamp and retreat to solid land. Or equip the thief's ring (or whatever it's called) so they don't aggro from a mile away. There's plenty of ways to deal with them without having to cheese the AI.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any idea when this is expected to be released?

Amir0x

Banned
- The gameplay will be similar to Demon's Souls in concept, where it's about trial and error and learning from your mistakes to play better.

You know, I never felt that Demon's Souls was about trial-and-error: always seemed to be just about how patient you are with things. The more patient you are, the further you'll get.

Also

- This time they want to increase the amount of field exploration in the game.
- All fields are seamless, so whatever you can see, you can reach and explore. If you see a fortress or castle walls in the distance, you can eventually get there.
- There will be no map display in the game, just a position display marker.

Fucking. RAD.

The goblins were straight-awesome. Why get rid? I hope there are more enemies like that, only ones I truly feared. Cumulatively, I'd watch them for hours before making my move!

Amir0x said:
You know, I never felt that Demon's Souls was about trial-and-error: always seemed to be just about how patient you are with things. The more patient you are, the further you'll get.

I agree with you without a doubt, but I also believe that progression in Demon's Souls would be hindered if you made the same moves and didn't learn from your mistakes. They go hand-in-hand really, I'd say.

Love the idea of more field exploration. Couple that with dark fantasy, and I hope for some dreadful and depressing environments.

Amir0x

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I agree with you without a doubt, but I also believe that progression in Demon's Souls would be hindered if you made the same moves and didn't learn from your mistakes. They go hand-in-hand really, I'd say.

Obviously you have to learn from your mistakes... just seemed like to me virtually all my mistakes were from impatience (except that one boss, fuck the Maneaters). If I had slowed my role and just observed or read the warning signs, I would have avoided a few traps or a few deaths. Very rare did I feel I died for no reason other than but the game intended me to die there.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Love the idea of more field exploration. Couple that with dark fantasy, and I hope for some dreadful and depressing environments.

I can't wait. Easily my most anticipated game since Gran Turismo 5.

Vieo said:

tl;dr No giant goblins.

There's this magic spell, some fire thing, where you pound the ground and cause an area-of-effect explosion. I could usually kill these assholes in one hit with that.

Man said:
Lovecraftian Zelda.

Funny you should say that, sometimes I feel like the only one that sees it :p

Amir0x said:
Obviously you have to learn from your mistakes... just seemed like to me virtually all my mistakes were from impatience (except that one boss, fuck the Maneaters). If I had slowed my role and just observed or read the warning signs, I would have avoided a few traps or a few deaths. Very rare did I feel I died for no reason other than but the game intended me to die there.

I can't wait. Easily my most anticipated game since Gran Turismo 5.

Without a doubt, I had the same experience with that. I can just see what they mean. There will no doubt be a test of patience here, and I think that is one of the things that both drives this game and makes it so fucking good.

duckroll said:
The director actually says that they're not using dedicated servers, so there won't be world tendency. Remember, with Demon's Souls, you had to login to a fixed dedicated network hosted by the publisher when playing the game online. This is what is apparently not returning. But all the other network features of the game are still there. You will occasionally see other players moving around, dying, the messages left by other players, etc. There will still be co-op and PvP elements, just like in Demon's Souls. Presumably all these features will now be handled via PSN and XBL itself, instead of through a dedicated separate framework. This also means that PS3 and 360 players will not be able to play with each other.

There are a bit more details about the new online elements too, since the full interview is out. He says that there are two specific areas which are new to the online mode of Dark Souls. One aspect is that you will be able to share your playing experience with friends, and so as you play the game and tackle the various harsh challenges, you won't feel that you're doing it alone, but rather that you have other friends who are also facing the same challenges. This sounds to me like a social networking system built into the game, and might be related to the campfire teaser they showed in the announcement trailer.

The other aspect he mentions is that there will be some sort of mutual roleplaying aspect in the game where each player's game will interact with other players in some way, to extend the roleplaying aspect. It's unclear to me what this actually means at all, and I'm not even sure if it's a good translation of what he's trying to say because of how vague it is. But basically it sounds like the game will feature a lot more interaction in non-direct methods, just like the original game but expanded in ways the team felt would enhance the experience further.

Sorry for the ignorance but how will PSN and XBL handle the message/player aspects of the game? There has to be a server someplace logging this... it isnt like it can be PvP or can it?

Amir0x said:
I agree with Amirox. Really most of the difficulty in this game stems from the fact that it's so different than pretty much any other game we've played, which we've been able to plow through without ever having to worry much. Almost every single time I died was because I was doing just that, plowing through an area without being careful or observant of surroundings and all that. Just love it. Must have more. Moremormeomreomroemroeroermeoroemroere.

Amir0x said:
Obviously you have to learn from your mistakes... just seemed like to me virtually all my mistakes were from impatience.

Yeah, trial and error may not be the best explanation of how DS worked.

This whole 'exploration' element makes me think they're basically returning to the old King's Field formula with the DS polish. It's not an entirely new idea from From Software.

ZephyrFate said:
This whole 'exploration' element makes me think they're basically returning to the old King's Field formula with the DS polish. It's not an entirely new idea from From Software.

That's what I've been thinking. It's a refreshing thought, and if so, is just going to be such an amazing direction for the series. It's exciting to think about that, and just how everything will come together. Can't wait to see more.

Zoe

Billychu said:
Yes. There's shaky cam footage of the trailer on Youtube. Gameplay looks almost identical to Demon's Souls.

Cool, got a little worried with the King's Field mentions.

Cruzader

Banned
Requeim said:
probably

They let FROM make the sequel by not using their IP = Demon's Souls is DEAD.

Sony is fucking stupid, lol. They had FROM handling it, now they are doing this with NB. Sony is stuck with a great IP that will never be be the same if brought back. Im thinking they will ignore it and put it in under the rug. SCEJ that is. SCEA/E wouldnt touch DS IP with a 10ft pole.

Amir0x said:

Also

Fucking. RAD.
I thought he meant that more about things like having enemies on the first level you aren't meant to beat yet,
red eyes knight, and those damned dragons
and not figuring it out until you die horribly. Although, since it didn't happen too often after that, I wish they would do it more. It was more fun to find thing you weren't strong enough to deal with and had to come back to later.

todahawk

ZephyrFate said:

From the very start of 1-1 i wanted to go off in the distance. And it always pissed me off that we didn't get to repair and visit the area of the broken marker in the Nexus.

Man

BobTheFork said:
Although, since it didn't happen too often after that, I wish they would do it more. It was more fun to find thing you weren't strong enough to deal with and had to come back to later.
Very much this. There are dangers out there in this world and exploration can be frightening and dangerous, not everything is magically tuned to your ego ala Oblivion.

Man said:
Lovecraftian Zelda.

yup :) ...

over time, i've come to the conclusion that the aspect, among the many, many awesome aspects of ds that stands above all the others in making it the unique experience it is is the stamina-based combat system. for me, it instantly felt so much more authentic than being able to tirelessly run thru gauntlets of enemies & never break a sweat, & gave my character a degree of substance that few, if any, other characters i've played have ever had...

so, anyway, yeah - i'm up for this (even chinese version with english, if necessary :) )...

Steroyd

canova said:
Namco is in a fucking roll right now. this game plus a bunch of new announcements tomorrow

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, they've been doing that one step forward two steps back nonesense this generation.

Canova

Banned
Steroyd said:
Lets not get ahead of ourselves, they've been doing that one step forward two steps back nonesense this generation.

:p yeah I know

but Dark Souls is gonna be released for sure....and that's enough for me. The 2 tales are just dessert

EviLore said:
Expanded scope and freedom, and retention of rip-your-head-off-and-shit-down-your-neck-difficulty and unique core style? Sign me up.

Fixed for even greater truth! I crave victory unguarenteed! It is always the sweetest!

Lovecraftian Zelda.

I can see it, especially that fanged maw on legs that eats the knight in that old footage.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
- Instead all maps in the game will be linked seamlessly in a connected world. The pace of the game will feel more about exploration and discovering locations, which you can then go inside into a dungeon or whatever and explore the interior further.

I really hope this doesn't cause them to have to roll back the complexity and uniqueness of each area.

And I hope they don't take the difficulty too far and ruin the nice balance they achieved.

Vieo said:

tl;dr No giant goblins.

They fucking made me mad in Valley of Defilement. After a few hours of madness, i had to go ''Solid Snake'' on that level.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I hope for this one they'll have a shit load of armor... there was a good selection in DS but you couldn't really mix the sets very much w/o your character looking dumb. So hopefully it'll be easier to mix and match items.

Top Bottom