• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu reveals brand new info on Dark Souls (Demon's Souls spiritual sequel)

Amir0x

Banned
recklessmind said:
I hope for this one they'll have a shit load of armor... there was a good selection in DS but you couldn't really mix the sets very much w/o your character looking dumb. So hopefully it'll be easier to mix and match items.

That was my lone complaint with Demon's Souls. Not enough armor/loot for my tastes. If they mix that in combined with what they're already doing, I'd say we have a game of the forever on our hands.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Amir0x said:
That was my lone complaint with Demon's Souls. Not enough armor/loot for my tastes. If they mix that in combined with what they're already doing, I'd say we have a game of the forever on our hands.

I wonder if getting rid of the classes will help. Since it'll be less likely that, as in DS, this certain set will be for this certain class, and this set for this class, and so on... more flexibility with characters might mean more ambiguity in armor sets, and more general items to mix and match.

Either way it's not really a complaint... I'm filing this under nitpick.

BumRush

Everything about this game sounds amazing so far...very similar to DS with an emphasis on exploration? I'm so in.

oracrest

recklessmind said:
I hope for this one they'll have a shit load of armor... there was a good selection in DS but you couldn't really mix the sets very much w/o your character looking dumb. So hopefully it'll be easier to mix and match items.

On a completely side note, I have been playing as a female character lately, and I do love how they made a point to make a small number of really interesting armors that were gender specific. It makes hunting them down unique when you can wear them, and they (From)really seem to understand how to construct a game in a way that encourages new content experienced through multiple playthroughs.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
oracrest said:
On a completely side note, I have been playing as a female character lately, and I do love how they made a point to make a small number of really interesting armors that were gender specific. It makes hunting them down unique when you can wear them, and they (From)really seem to understand how to construct a game in a way that encourages new content experienced through multiple playthroughs.

Although it kind of sucked when I finally defeated the King but sat there just stunned when I learned I couldn't wear his armor.

:?

haha.

edit: also every unisex armor looked cooler on the male characters... especially the awesome fluted armor.

RyanDG

I don't know if I've ever been as excited about learning about little details of a game as I am right now...

I think its time to finish my Barbarian with a club only run of demon's souls right now.

Draft

Sounds cool. They seem to be truly embracing the concept of hardcore Zelda that the first one hinted at.

Mudkips

Banned
Needs
5fENC.jpg

damn it

Eccocid

Oh no!
Is it gonna be a sandbox? :(
I prefer level based design instead of a huge open world. Open world looks fine and nice but it always feels lazy and most of the places are usually there to fill the gaps. In level based gameplay, everything feels more tight and challenging.
:(

Epcott

Oh, I don't know if I can. I've had it for months, but could never get out of Boletarian Palace... worst of all, I could never find Phalanx. I encountered a glowing knight of instant death, and the location of the dragon also of instant death, but it was too frustrating.

I'm curious about Dark Souls... heh heh but if I suck so bad in Demon's Souls, it may not be my cup of tea either

/gloom

Kuran

Banned
Epcott said:
Oh, I don't know if I can. I've had it for months, but could never get out of Boletarian Palace... worst of all, I could never find Phalanx. I encountered a glowing knight of instant death, and the location of the dragon also of instant death, but it was too frustrating.

I'm curious about Dark Souls... heh heh but if I suck so bad in Demon's Souls, it may not be my cup of tea either

/gloom

Dude, just keep trying. It isn't that hard, the key is to take your time and be careful. If you die, let the passion rise within you and simply try a new tactic, or level.

Hopefully parry and riposte is easier. Not super easy, so as you can get through the whole game by using nothing but it... but, just a little easier.

Canova

Banned
Epcott said:

/gloom

try again, if you still can't beat it, then watch 1-1 video walkthru (plenty of videos in youtube), just to get you out of 1-1.

after 1-1 you can level up and farm souls

The scans aren't perfect but they are plenty to get my mouth watering. I love the dark medieval fantasy look. Curious how open the game will really be. Wording like "discovering locations" makes me think it would be a pretty open with a lot of terrain.

Very excited for more info. If any bullet point worries me though its:

"- There will be many more spells and items, and the animation and uniqueness of weapons will also be increased."

More unique weapons is great, I just hope it doesn't have multiple stat sets for the same weapon. Example: I want every "Long Sword" to have the same attack stat, not differing ones.

Canova

Banned
I just want 3 vs 3 PvP. please make it happen From Soft.

so let say if you summon 2 blues, then 3 invaders are allowed to enter your game, that'd be wicked

carlo6529

Eccocid said:
Oh no!
I prefer level based design instead of a huge open world. Open world looks fine and nice but it always feels lazy and most of the places are usually there to fill the gaps. In level based gameplay, everything feels more tight and challenging.

I don't see why they can't keep the design process the same, then find a way to connect everything smoothly.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Am anticipating a delayed PAL release with added goodies like Demon's Souls.

canova said:
Let's get some facts straight here.

Don't put this on From Soft, it's Sony who didn't give a damn about Demon's Souls

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere last year that Sony regretted not publishing it or similar?

ijed

Eccocid said:
Oh no!

Thinking open world in terms of King's Field where everything is accessible as opossed to FO3 type open world.

Also open spaces is what DS could have used a bit more of though.
Especially for ....

canova said:
I just want 3 vs 3 PvP. please make it happen From Soft.

so let say if you summon 2 blues, then 3 invaders are allowed to enter your game, that'd be wicked

YEAAAAAAAHHHHH!

MvmntInGrn said:
More unique weapons is great, I just hope it doesn't have multiple stat sets for the same weapon. Example: I want every "Long Sword" to have the same attack stat, not differing ones.

You mean a long sword you pickup could have different stats to one you buy?

ijed said:
You mean a long sword you pickup could have different stats to one you buy?
Yea. Just not something I'm a fan of in games. Upgrading is ok though (like the +1 system in the first game), again as long as every Long Sword +1 is identical.

Just irks me for whatever reason.

duckroll

Amir0x said:
You know, I never felt that Demon's Souls was about trial-and-error: always seemed to be just about how patient you are with things. The more patient you are, the further you'll get.

That's kinda what trial and error is though. Trial and error doesn't have to mean the form where you try something, die, and then repeat it again and again until you know what the right way is. Trial and error can simply mean trying stuff carefully, and learning from what doesn't work without dying. Like with Phalanx, some players keep dying at the boss to discover how to beat it. That's one way. But another way involves playing much more carefully and holding up a shield and shafting around the boss while trying out different attacks to see what would be effective against the boss while learning the patterns. Both methods involve trial and error, but the former is more brute force, and the latter is more calculated.

Zeliard

duckroll said:
That's kinda what trial and error is though. Trial and error doesn't have to mean the form where you try something, die, and then repeat it again and again until you know what the right way is. Trial and error can simply mean trying stuff carefully, and learning from what doesn't work without dying. Like with Phalanx, some players keep dying at the boss to discover how to beat it. That's one way. But another way involves playing much more carefully and holding up a shield and shafting around the boss while trying out different attacks to see what would be effective against the boss while learning the patterns. Both methods involve trial and error, but the former is more brute force, and the latter is more calculated.

Yeah but most people have trial-and-error in their minds as this punishingly repetitive thing, where the game kills you until you do exactly what it wants you to. Demon's Souls isn't like that at all, offering possibilities for a fairly wide range of tactical play. It's more that it punishes you for playing brashly and not considering your actions, but I don't know if I'd describe that as trial-and-error the way most people probably think of it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Eccocid said:
Oh no!

Play King's Field - The Ancient City shouldnt be TOO hard to find - and come back and report in a month if you still feel the same way.

hteng

Banned
Sadaiyappan said:
Demon's Souls made me appreciate the concept of the boss fight. It has the best boss fights this generation.

until you cheese the fights.

The metal spider thing in the mines, i always cheese that one.

the worst fight has always been NG++ flamelurker and the maneaters, holyshit those fights were tough as hell. really hated flamelurker because shields seems pretty useless in that fight, maneaters are fucking rams you out of the ledge fucking assholes.

duckroll

Zeliard said:
Yeah but most people have trial-and-error in their minds as this punishingly repetitive thing, where the game kills you until you do exactly what it wants you to. Demon's Souls isn't like that at all, offering possibilities for a fairly wide range of tactical play. It's more that it punishes you for playing brashly and not considering your actions, but I don't know if I'd describe that as trial-and-error the way most people probably think of it.

The most basic use of the term trial and error is in learning how to handle something physical. Playing with a Rubix Cube involves a lot of trial and error, and figuring out how moving one side affects the other sides. Zelda games are also trial-and-error, but with a much lower difficulty threshold. I think the mindset that "error" = significant setback is sort of a twisted understanding of the process.

Playing with a Rubics Cube involves experimenting. You don't lose your progress for making a wrong move. The main difference between trial and error and experimenting is the punishment for making a wrong move. But it is true there is trial and error in all sorts of games. It's just overbearingly so in this one, with little other skills required.

Zeliard

duckroll said:
The most basic use of the term trial and error is in learning how to handle something physical. Playing with a Rubix Cube involves a lot of trial and error, and figuring out how moving one side affects the other sides. Zelda games are also trial-and-error, but with a much lower difficulty threshold. I think the mindset that "error" = significant setback is sort of a twisted understanding of the process.

It's not my understanding of it. I'm simply saying that, from observation, some people seem to consider the term trial and error a pejorative because they do consider the error part to be a setback that they just don't want or need. Some have an instant, automatic negative reaction when they hear the term "trial and error," not considering what it may actually be referring to with respect to that specific game.

In some games, like Limbo, trial and error is indeed about doing something repeatedly until you do it exactly as the game wants you to. But in Demon's Souls, you're given a much wider range of tactical freedom, so the trial and error there comes more in getting acclimated to the feel of movement and combat. It's not a specific enough term on its own to really mean much with respect to games, and it also tends to ruffle some feathers.

Tain

Trial and error is far from a negative. It's also far from mindless.

Don't trust people that hate trial and error!

Tain said:
Trial and error is far from a negative. It's also far from mindless.

Don't trust people that hate trial and error!
Trial and error isn't in itself negative. It's just that DS doesn't have much going for it other than that in terms of required skills. And the grinding, ugh.

I think being able to upgrade/customize armor would be a nice addition. Due to the speed penalties heavy armor was completely pointless in the original.

Course the last thing DS needs is more bullshit grinding.

Canova

Banned
- This time they want to increase the amount of field exploration in the game.
- All fields are seamless, so whatever you can see, you can reach and explore. If you see a fortress or castle walls in the distance, you can eventually get there.
- There will be no map display in the game, just a position display marker

iconoclast said:
Blah, I don't want an open world at all. I like the hub world and the linear, tightly designed stages of the first game. I guess I'll have to wait and see how this turns out.

I believe there's still gonna be linearity in its dungeons, caves, sewers, castles

I think this is more like Ninja Gaiden Black setting where we have vast Tairon city as a the main hub, but then there's ice cave, lava cave, sewer, monastery, underground tomb, maze garden etc. They are all seamlessly connected through the main hub

Raelson

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I think being able to upgrade/customize armor would be a nice addition. Due to the speed penalties heavy armor was completely pointless in the original.

Course the last thing DS needs is more bullshit grinding.
Demon Souls with Monster Hunter's armor system would be amazing.

Raide

Raelson said:
Demon Souls with Monster Hunter's armor system would be amazing.

A good crafting system is something they really need to have in Dark Souls.

Also, having a PSO style hub system where players meet would be cool, since I am wondering how they are going to sort out getting co-op teams together.

duckroll

canova said:
I believe there's still gonna be linearity in its dungeons, caves, sewers, castles

I think this is more like Ninja Gaiden Black setting where we have vast Tairon city as a the main hub, but then there's ice cave, lava cave, sewer, monastery, underground tomb, maze garden etc. They are all seamlessly connected through the main hub

I don't see why we have to go so far to make comparisons with games like Morrowind and Ninja Gaiden Black. I guess some From Software history is in order here. There are 2 first person style RPG series from the developer which existed before Demon's Souls came along: King's Field and Shadow Tower. King's Field used a connected world with fields, dungeons, castles, etc while Shadow Tower used a hub system (the shadow tower) which connected to gateways which led to unique other worlds.

It is clear that with the original Demon's Souls they followed the format of Shadow Tower more so than King's Field. With Dark Souls it just seems like they're trying to make the format more like King's Field. It will still be a relatively linear game for each major area, and there won't be random generation nor will it be some sort of "open world" game.

hteng said:
until you cheese the fights.

The metal spider thing in the mines, i always cheese that one.

the worst fight has always been NG++ flamelurker and the maneaters, holyshit those fights were tough as hell. really hated flamelurker because shields seems pretty useless in that fight, maneaters are fucking rams you out of the ledge fucking assholes.
Hyper mode their asses. It might be risky, but it's better off. I play without upgrading health anyways so I get 1 shotted either way.

It's my only way to play Demon Souls. With hyper mode I can kill a single Maneater in 2-3 blows even on NG++ on SL 120.

Canova

Banned
duckroll said:
I don't see why we have to go so far to make comparisons with games like Morrowind and Ninja Gaiden Black. I guess some From Software history is in order here. There are 2 first person style RPG series from the developer which existed before Demon's Souls came along: King's Field and Shadow Tower. King's Field used a connected world with fields, dungeons, castles, etc while Shadow Tower used a hub system (the shadow tower) which connected to gateways which led to unique other worlds.

It is clear that with the original Demon's Souls they followed the format of Shadow Tower more so than King's Field. With Dark Souls it just seems like they're trying to make the format more like King's Field. It will still be a relatively linear game for each major area, and there won't be random generation nor will it be some sort of "open world" game.

Well I specifically use NGB as sample to respond to iconoclast's post, because that's one game I know he loves so much

yeah sure, you definitely can use other games as comparison, whether it's King's Field (which I haven't played) or other games. I'm pretty sure there are many games with similar setting

duckroll

canova said:
Well I specifically use NGB as sample to respond to iconoclast's post, because that's one game I know he loves so much

Oh, okay. I was wondering why, because that seemed like such a random and far out comparison. :)

falconzss

Since they aren't going to use dedicated servers, does this imply we could play with whomever we want? (for example, people who own a JP copy with people who own an EU or NA copy).
Sorry for being stupid :/

duckroll

falconzss said:
Since they aren't going to use dedicated servers, does this imply we could play with whomever we want? (for example, people who own a JP copy with people who own an EU or NA copy).
Sorry for being stupid :/

That's very likely, but it doesn't automatically mean that. Ultimately it depends on how the network mode is designed and implemented. What it does mean however, is that since the game does not use dedicated servers, it will not require you to create an account and to login whenever you want to play the game online.

Zzoram

Crakatak187 said:
Hyper mode their asses. It might be risky, but it's better off. I play without upgrading health anyways so I get 1 shotted either way.

It's my only way to play Demon Souls. With hyper mode I can kill a single Maneater in 2-3 blows even on NG++ on SL 120.
What type of weapon do you use with hypermode and what are your stats? There is no way I could 2 or 3 shot a boss in NG+ with my Mage, even with Kris +5, ring of magical sharpness and monk wrap.

Top Bottom