• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu review scores (3/1/17) - Zelda: Breath of the Wild gets perfect score (40/40)

Dystify

7SC0SFN.jpg
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NSW / Wii U) – 10 / 10 / 10 / 10
  • Dragon Quest Heroes I-II (NSW) 9/9/9/9
  • For Honor (PS4/XBO) – 8/9/9/9
  • Blaster Master Zero (NSW / 3DS) – 8/8/8/8
  • The Brookhaven Experiment (PS4) – 8/8/8/8
  • Ys Origin (PS4) – 7/7/8/8
  • Super Bomberman R (NSW) – 8/7/8/7
  • Pirate Pop Plus (Wii U / 3DS) – 6/6/6/6

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the 24th perfect score from Famitsu in the magazine's history.

(Via Nintendo Everything)

For reference, here's a list of games they gave a perfect score. They don't give these out as often as people seem to think.

• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
  • Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
  • Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., for PlayStation)
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)
  • Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[2]
  • Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)
  • 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)
  • Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)
  • Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)
  • Bayonetta (2009, Sega, PlatinumGames, for Xbox 360)
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009, Nintendo, for Wii)
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, Konami, for PlayStation Portable)
  • Pokémon Black and White (2010, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011, Nintendo, for Wii)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011, Bethesda Softworks, for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3) – the first western developed game to receive a perfect score.
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2011, Square Enix, for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3)
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012, Nintendo, for Nintendo 3DS)
  • Yakuza 5 (2012, Sega, for PlayStation 3)
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle (2013, Namco-Bandai, for PlayStation 3)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (2013, Rockstar Games, for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3) – the second western developed game to get a perfect score after Skyrim.
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (2015, Konami, for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017, Nintendo, for Wii U, Nintendo Switch)

Countdown until I put the review thread up:

t1488448800z1.png

Countdown until reviews drop:

t1488452400z1.png

I mentioned this in the other thread, but while I'm sure BOTW will be great, a 40/40 from Famitsu doesn't really mean a whole lot these days, lol. I 100% expected them to give this game a perfect score.

Didn't Nintendogs of all games get a 40 from them?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. Glad to see that Blaster Master and Bomberman did pretty well too.

edit: or maybe not. Does Famitsu generally score 9s and 8s pretty often?

It's pretty crazy that we all know Famitsu is crap, yet it seems to get its own thread more often than it deserves.

That said, 40/40 is certainly not a bad sign! But it probably doesn't mean anything either.

I don't doubt that the game would get high marks. I just don't trust the source. If we're going to call "checks cleared" for one game, gotta call it for all.

I'll wait for the rest of the 10s to trickle in

Are you salty, my friend?
Well, Famitsu sometimes do give high scores, but 40 is still a 40.
He's not wrong, the one concerning thing is Bomberman's scores, I was hoping for higher but I'm still holding out hope.

Edit: just to clarify 40/40 is great but famitsu is not the first outlet I trust with reviews.

Yukinari

Famitsu could review the Glover 2 beta and still probably at least give it a 30/40 for being a video game that functions. Nice cover though.

RalchAC

I mentioned this in the other thread, but while I'm sure BOTW will be great, a 40/40 from Famitsu doesn't really mean a whole lot these days, lol. I 100% expected them to give this game a perfect score.

Didn't Nintendogs of all games get a 40 from them?

As a kid who couldn't have a dog when the game was released, Nintendogs was the best thing ever. The game totally deserves that score.

I dropped it in two seconds once my father and I convinced my mother to get a real one though.

Nice! Hype levels reaching maximum capacity.

I actually really like how famitsu reviews games... can't wait for some translations!

Skux

Yeah the Famitsu review scale is notorious for score creep. When Nintendogs gets a 40 there's really nowhere else to go unless you break the scale.

Cerium

Failing Famitsu gave Breath of the Wild a 40/40! Same score as Nintendogs! Means nothing! Sad! #FakeReviews

Top Bottom