• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu reviews (Mar 11 issue)

Jonnyram

Enthusia (PS2) 8,7,7,7 - 29
The Rumblefish (PS2) 8,7,7,7 - 29
Shark Tale (PS2) 7,8,7,7 - 29
Simple 2000 Saiyuu Touenden (PS2) 6,4,5,6 - 21
Phantom Kingdom (PS2) 8,8,8,7 - 31
One Piece Grand Battle Rush (PS2/GC) 8,7,7,7 - 29
Boboboubo Boubobo Hajike Royale (GC) 5,5,6,6 - 22
Fable (Xbox) 9,9,8,9 - 35
How to Breed Kappa (GBA) 6,6,6,5 - 23
Sarugetchu P! (PSP) 8,7,6,7 - 28
Harvest Moon Korobockle Station (DS) 7,7,9,7 - 30

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm pretty curious to know what they said about it, even if it's only two sentences.

Ahhh the perfect game. It's exactly what I needed out of life.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Pretty low for all of them :(

*edit* Well Rumblefish and One Piece seem about right. I'm curious to what went wrong with Ape Escape.

Hmmm, I wonder if it'll sell. If it does then it proves Xbox2 just needs rpgs at launch and not necessarily Japanese ones.

Memles

Guess what is essentially a GBA game with touch screen minigames didn't do it for three of them?

Bebpo

Banned
To be fair about Enthusia, this is Famitsu 'we suck at gaming' Weekly. So if the game was as brutal as the E3 demo, there's a good chance these guys couldn't even finish a race or two which would probably make them mighty upset.

...or the game could suck.

Speevy

Banned
Bebpo said:
To be fair about Enthusia, this is Famitsu 'we suck at gaming' Weekly. So if the game was as brutal as the E3 demo, there's a good chance these guys couldn't even finish a race or two which would probably make them mighty upset.

...or the game could suck.

I think the ship has pretty much sailed on this not being the worst of the three.

peedi

Banned
Interested in knowing what the Enthusia comments are.

:lol @ Fable's score. Kind of kills all credibility.

ouch.gif

Bebpo

Banned
http://www.imgup.org/file/iup12337.jpg <-- PK review

Basically seems like they completely love the game. Tons of units, attacks, vehicles, buildings, etc...basically giving the game great variety; they all liked the pacing of the game; for completists they say it has almost infinite replay value with all the bonus stuff. Basically the reviewers say it's the ultimate end product of all Nippon-ichi's srpgs.

Only complaint was that 2 reviewers said that with the huge buildings and tons of units it can be hard to see at times.

You'd expect higher scores from the writing but I guess since it's low-budget 2d you can't really expect above an 8 :\

Pellham

Banned
You'd expect higher scores from the writing but I guess since it's low-budget 2d you can't really expect above an 8 :\

Is low-budget 2D art really a review killer? Fire Emblem Thracia 776 received rave reviews, and it was a SNES game released in 1999. Although of course, that game deserved all the scores it got regardless of graphics.

Bebpo

Banned
So considering that the scores are out but there are no shocking news blurbs, does that mean there's nothing of interest this week?

Since SH2 DC will be out before Famitsu I was hoping there'd be a 2 page spread on SH3 at least.

john tv

Pellham said:
Is low-budget 2D art really a review killer? Fire Emblem Thracia 776 received rave reviews, and it was a SNES game released in 1999. Although of course, that game deserved all the scores it got regardless of graphics.
Dude, that was six years ago. :)

Rhindle

Bebpo said:
Hmmm, I wonder if it'll sell. If it does then it proves Xbox2 just needs rpgs at launch and not necessarily Japanese ones.
Are they really promoting Fable at all over there? I wasn't even aware it was being released in Japan.

EDIT: Is this the first major Western console RPG to be localized for Japan?

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
So considering that the scores are out but there are no shocking news blurbs, does that mean there's nothing of interest this week?
Gyakuten Saiban DS (there is a new chapter that connects 1 and 2)
Beat Down (PS2 and Xbox)
SD Gundam G Generation DS
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Tearing Saga: Berwick Saga
Romancing SaGa
seem to be the main things.

As well as Sakaguchi, Okamoto, Mizuguchi interviews regarding Xenon.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Tearing Saga: Berwick Saga

As well as Sakaguchi, Okamoto, Mizuguchi interviews regarding Xenon.

We need Neo to come to the rescue with beautiful scans :D

Odnetnin

Banned
Jonnyram said:

a) replace Fable with a five letter word starting with B and ending with A

b) Is this a game where you breed the bomberman kangeroos? :lol

So much for Fatmisu loving innovative touch features. Harvest Moon scored okay but not great. So they didn't like rubbing animal testes?

Odnetnin

Banned
GashPrex said:
RE: Fable score and people not "agreeing:

:lol :lol :lol

oh the irony of it all

what's irony? Didn't you sell your copy of fable? The loading and breakup of the world alone warrants a 6-7/10 for Fable... as does its world with NO REAL REPERCUSSIONS. All revelations with extended play.

Shallow upon close examination = Fadle.

neo2046

Bebpo said:
We need Neo to come to the rescue with beautiful scans :D
someone has already posted the scans earlier
but I am 10 mins late and miss the scans

I only get these now
Beat Down (PS2 and Xbox)

Shompola

Banned
Odnetnin said:
what's irony? Didn't you sell your copy of fable? The loading and breakup of the world alone warrants a 6-7/10 for Fable... as does its world with NO REAL REPERCUSSIONS. All revelations with extended play.

Shallow upon close examination = Fadle.

And Hl2 also deserves a 6-7/10 because of that? Don't be ridiculous. Sure those things are annoying but should never be the major reason to dislike a game. But if you do then you are very impatient IMO.

GDGF

Soothsayer
neo2046 said:
someone has already posted the scans earlier
but I am 10 mins late and miss the scans

I only get these now
Beat Down (PS2 and Xbox)

Feel free to show us the DS goods :)

VALIS

GashPrex said:
RE: Fable score and people not "agreeing:

:lol :lol :lol

oh the irony of it all

I'm laughing, too. Fable has been liked everywhere in the media. Consistently. Dozens and dozens of outlets with positive things to say, now including Famitsu. But as far as messageboards go, not ripping the game apart every time it's name appears is practically illegal. It's a trend most people join in on just to keep that trend going more than it is any sort of objective opinion. (note I said "most" people. some have good reasons why they didn't like Fable. but many are just being trendy fuckwits.)

shpankey

not an idiot
VALIS said:
I'm laughing, too. Fable has been liked everywhere in the media. Consistently. Dozens and dozens of outlets with positive things to say, now including Famitsu. But as far as messageboards go, not ripping the game apart every time it's name appears is practically illegal. It's a trend most people join in on just to keep that trend going more than it is any sort of objective opinion. (note I said "most" people. some have good reasons why they didn't like Fable. but many are just being trendy fuckwits.)

I never understood the message board hate for Fable. I think it has something to do with all those promises which set unrealistic expectations. Since I never read them, I guess it didn't bother me. The other thing may have to do with Japanese RPG fans hating it... just because it's different (just guessing). There is also some (just some mind) people that hate it just because it's an Xbox exclusive. One thing I noticed though is that the game looked like crap on a digital TV for some reason. Once I played it on a regular analog TV though, the game looked fantastic. So some of the hate may come from that. Of course, there is people, like you said, that have their own legitimate reasons (for them) to not like it. So to them, they're just expressing an honest opinion. But I agree... some of the people hating either fit the above reasons I listed, or are just jumping in on the hate train on a forum for the fun of it.

Personally, I found the game to be great. Nothing mind blowing, but a really good game that kept me interested till the end.

peedi

Banned
Shompola said:
And Hl2 also deserves a 6-7/10 because of that? Don't be ridiculous. Sure those things are annoying but should never be the major reason to dislike a game. But if you do then you are very impatient IMO.

Surely, you're not comparing HL2 and Fable? Fable was promised to be an open-ended RPG, one that placed you within a dynamic universe that responded to every bit of your input. Instead, it ended up being a hackneyed, repetitive, ugly quasi-rpg.

VALIS

peedi said:
Surely, you're not comparing HL2 and Fable? Fable was promised to be an open-ended RPG, one that placed you within a dynamic universe that responded to every bit of your input. Instead, it ended up being a hackneyed, repetitive, ugly quasi-rpg.

Hackneyed?! Do you even know what the word means? The entire RPG genre has barely budged in 15 years in terms of innovation, and Fable is hackneyed?! Oh boy. But considering you're usually an Xbox troll, I don't know why I'm bothering.

shpankey said:
I never understood the message board hate for Fable. I think it has something to do with all those promises which set unrealistic expectations. Since I never read them, I guess it didn't bother me. The other thing may have to do with Japanese RPG fans hating it... just because it's different (just guessing). There is also some (just some mind) people that hate it just because it's an Xbox exclusive. One thing I noticed though is that the game looked like crap on a digital TV for some reason. Once I played it on a regular analog TV though, the game looked fantastic. So some of the hate may come from that. Of course, there is people, like you said, that have their own legitimate reasons (for them) to not like it. So to them, they're just expressing an honest opinion. But I agree... some of the people hating either fit the above reasons I listed, or are just jumping in on the hate train on a forum for the fun of it.

Personally, I found the game to be great. Nothing mind blowing, but a really good game that kept me interested till the end.

+1

peedi

Banned
VALIS said:
Hackneyed?! Do you even know what the word means? The entire RPG genre has barely budged in 15 years in terms of innovation, and Fable is hackneyed?! Oh boy. But considering you're usually an Xbox troll, I don't know why I'm bothering.

No, I don't know what the term 'hackneyed' means. Anyway, the game pushed the genre forward how, exactly? Repetitive, overly simplified combat pushed the genre forward? Near useless magic system pushed the genre forward? Constant loadtimes pushed the genre forward? Risibly cliched storyline pushed the genre forward? Uninteresting NPC interaction pushed the genre forward? The game sucked.

VALIS

peedi said:
No, I don't know what the term 'hackneyed' means. Anyway, the game pushed the genre forward how, exactly? Repetitive, overly simplified combat pushed the genre forward? Near useless magic system pushed the genre forward? Constant loadtimes pushed the genre forward? Risibly cliched storyline pushed the genre forward? Uninteresting NPC interaction pushed the genre forward? The game sucked.

I'm not saying Fable pushed the genre forward, what I am saying is "hackneyed" is a very curious criticism for an RPG. So is "cliched storyline," for that matter. I like the genre, but how many RPG's don't have cliched storylines or overly familiar play mechanics and settings? Very, very few. Do you dislike most RPG's including Fable? Then I'd take your criticisms more seriously.

Shompola

Banned
peedi said:

Frequent loading and small worlds. Those were the things I was comparing.

Amir0x

Banned
VALIS said:
but how many RPG's don't have cliched storylines or overly familiar play mechanics and settings? Very, very few. Do you dislike most RPG's including Fable? Then I'd take your criticisms more seriously.

This is my boat! I dislike most RPGs, specifically because of these very criticisms.

SantaC

I expect the same people who complained at famitsu for the high pic pax DS scores complain at the fable scores...oh wait.

Amir0x

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
I expect the same people who complained at famitsu for the high pic pax DS scores complain at the fable scores...oh wait.

Why are you groupin' everyone together! That shit is mean!

duckroll

SantaCruZer said:

OK!

Famitsu Strikes Again!