• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 11/7/22 – 11/13/22 | Tactics Ogre: Reborn outsells Sonic Frontiers and God of War Ragnarok.

Tactics Orge outselling a Sonic game in japan, and a PS5 with high unit but poor software sales isn't really hard to do.

However from the looks of it Sonic Frontiers will in general do better than Forces in Japan which was very very low Granted there are 3 systems it's on within the charts, but even if you cut it to two it's still ahead of Forces.

However, being ahead of Forces is not much, Sonic still has problems selling well in Japan. This could be a good first step depending on how they handle the game sales and marketing long-term.

TLZ

Banned
Curious to see the effect Pokemon will have. Massive? A little? None? Very curious about next week.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Yeah lets stick to the superior west with it's yearly sports shit or a million variations on army men simulators.

zMu09V2.gif

TLZ

Banned
Hardware, think there is some shortages that Nintendo are struggling on overcome.

Software should be huge.
Yeah I'm curious about both. Will it help slow the Switch sales decline at this point of its life? Will Pokemon sell more or less than previous entries? Etc.

Chastten

Banned
No, the difference is the hardcore audience in japan is primarily on mobile/portable whil,e in the US mobile is considered more casual. So we still get high quality AAA and indie games because we haven't gone the full mobile root like japan. I think the switch being the leading platform lowers the scope of the games and for me personally makes their games less appealing in general. My favorite japanese developers target the western market due to the lack of support home for their kind of games.

Yeah, in the US the 'hardcore' is spending gazzillions on Fifa and GTA online packs. Not much different from mobile as far as I'm concerned.

It seems to me your definition of 'hardcore' vs 'casual' is based on how good it looks. Not exactly my definition, but you do you I guess.

No, the difference is the hardcore audience in japan is primarily on mobile/portable whil,e in the US mobile is considered more casual. So we still get high quality AAA and indie games because we haven't gone the full mobile root like japan. I think the switch being the leading platform lowers the scope of the games and for me personally makes their games less appealing in general. My favorite japanese developers target the western market due to the lack of support home for their kind of games.
Ever play Tactics Ogre?

Or Final Fantasy Tactics for that matter?

Woopah

The mobile market and hybrid market have very very different business models and software offerings, combining them like that doesn't really work.

What is your definition of hardcore here?
Yeah I'm curious about both. Will it help slow the Switch sales decline at this point of its life? Will Pokemon sell more or less than previous entries? Etc.
It's not going to be enough to stop the hardware decline, but it will soften it. I think it will be especially effective at getting Lite owners to upgrade to the OLED model

Software wise, Violet/Scarlett preorders are tracking far above Sword and Shield and it has the possibility to be the biggest game launch in Japan ever.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
At first I was like “not bad PS5 sold 40% of Nintendo Switch”

Then I realize its just the OLED model

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Rykan

Very surprised to see the PS5 version of GoW: Ragnarok outsell the PS4 version about 3:1, considering how rare PS5's here are.

Woopah

Very surprised to see the PS5 version of GoW: Ragnarok outsell the PS4 version about 3:1, considering how rare PS5's here are.
It's good news for Sony, shows that the generational transition is picking up speed. It'll be really interesting to see the legs of each version.

Top Bottom