• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 2010 Top 100

jeremy1456

Thunder Monkey said:
I'm still at a loss of words for just how well Nintendo has done this past generation.

It's really crazy. They've always had dominance in the handheld market... but that handheld market got huge. The addition of Sony alone was huge for the market... but somehow Nintendo's total unit sales skyrocketed as well.

Crazy shit.

Wonder how long this expansion of the handheld market will continue.

So really, Sony was responsible for getting the handheld market out of the 'ghetto.'

It was because of the DS.

cantona222 said:
Thanks. I didn't notice "The Best" at the end of the title.

What did they add on this version?

Someone else will probably correct me, but I think it was just a greatest hits version with nothing added.

Can someone clarify?

_Alkaline_ said:
Someone else will probably correct me, but I think it was just a greatest hits version with nothing added.

Can someone clarify?

Yes, The best is sony's budget line in japan

23. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G PSP The Best (Capcom) - 498,178 / 534,323

Edit: Ha, CVX Looks like you were the first to leak the full info, might want to go into hiding from enterbrain

Small dissapointment with the legs of the latest Layton game, it failed to crack 100k to enter the charts, unlike its predecessors.

Raist

Banned
Any idea of GT4's LTD? Kind of surprised GT5's numbers are that low, especially since GT5P sold reasonably well.

PSP still sells like crazy in Japan. Squenix still sells like crazy in Japan. Nintendo owns the entire country of Japan and occasionally lets Sony and Squenix sell things at their sole discretion.

In unrelated news, total lifetime sales of 360 in Japan is only 1.4 million consoles?

Haunted

Best-selling western title in 2010 - 95th place.

Looks like Western developers still have a long way to go trying to capture the attention of the Japanese audience.

As usual, Nintendo, Square-Enix and Capcom (MH) dominate, very happy to see a Level-5 title break into the Top 10.

Giolon

mclem said:
Relative budgets, however?

Obviously. I was being a bit snarky. ;) However, when you consider the fact that the Japanese PSP userbase is three times larger than the PS3's , you can't help but feel SEGA has to be at least somewhat disappointed.

onken

Haunted said:

Looks like Western developers still have a long way to go trying to capture the attention of the Japanese audience.

As usual, Nintendo, Square-Enix and Capcom (MH) dominate, very happy to see a Level-5 title break into the Top 10.

No it's CODBLOPS at 59.

Oh yeah and DKC.

Haunted said:

Don't forget this one:

16. [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) - 559,968

Well deserved.

Thunder Monkey said:
Which is like 2 million units more than the Xbox sold.

Be that as it may, the poor showing of 360 in Japan (and Europe) isn't helping it's cause. It still has a huge advantage over the PS3 in North America but worldwide the 360 is around 50 million units sold and the PS3 is around 42 million units. At the current rate of worldwide sales the PS3 will match or surpass the 360 before the end of this generation, which is one hell of a turnaround when you consider what a clusterfuck the launch and first 2 years of PS3 were. Hell, the PS3 has sold half the number of Wiis sold in Japan, that's pretty amazing considering how the PS3 started out this generation. The 360 is heading for the same 3rd place finish the Xbox ended up at. The Gamecube ultimately surpassed the Xbox before that generation ended, after all.

Kenka

Haunted said:

There's a little guy at #16 that wants to have a talk with you.

Haunted

onken said:
No it's CODBLOPS at 59.

Oh yeah and DKC.
And here I was trying to be clever looking at the publishers only. That's what I get for watching GSL and this list at the same time. >_>

Still, 3 titles out of 100... meh. US and European Top 100 lists are much more balanced in comparison.

Raist

Banned
Celine said:
The first one is first week sales, the second one LTD.
Based on Famitsu.

Yeah figured. Quite a huge difference. GT5 wasn't released that long ago but I doubt it'll go much further than 600-700k.

Spiegel

ULTROS! said:
NDS - 30
PSP - 26
PS3 - 25
WII - 18
360 - 1

100. [WII] Sengoku BASARA 3 (Capcom) - 111,948

NDS - 41
WII - 20
PSP - 19
PS3 - 15
PS2 - 3
360 - 2

100. [360] Biohazard 5 (Capcom) - 123,817

sphinx

the piano man
Unknown Soldier said:
The Gamecube ultimately surpassed the Xbox before that generation ended, after all.

that is not what I remember, microsoft always made sure to state they sold a couple of millions more than the gamecube worldwide. I wasn´t paying attention to sales back then, who knows.

Haunted

Oxx said:
Mario vs Donkey Kong was made in the US, wasn't it?

And Dead Rising 2 = Canada.
The first two were made by NST, but I can't find any info except "Nintendo" on Mini-Lan Mayhem.

Good catch on Dead Rising 2!

So now we're up to 4 (maybe 5) out of 100.

Road

cvxfreak said:
They're rounded. In reality, they are:

DS: 35.5%
PSP: 25.8%
Wii: 18.6%
PS3: 15.9%
360: 2.8%
PS2: 1.3%
Other: 0.1%
Cool. Thanks.

Now Famitsu needs to publish the total software sold in 2010. haha

sphinx said:
that is not what I remember, microsoft always made sure to state they sold a couple of millions more than the gamecube worldwide. I wasn´t paying attention to sales back then, who knows.
You are correct, sir.
Xbox_WW

kswiston

Unknown Soldier said:
Be that as it may, the poor showing of 360 in Japan (and Europe) isn't helping it's cause. It still has a huge advantage over the PS3 in North America but worldwide the 360 is around 50 million units sold and the PS3 is around 42 million units. At the current rate of worldwide sales the PS3 will match or surpass the 360 before the end of this generation, which is one hell of a turnaround when you consider what a clusterfuck the launch and first 2 years of PS3 were. Hell, the PS3 has sold half the number of Wiis sold in Japan, that's pretty amazing considering how the PS3 started out this generation. The 360 is heading for the same 3rd place finish the Xbox ended up at. The Gamecube ultimately surpassed the Xbox before that generation ended, after all.

The 42 million number from PS3 was from Sept 30th, while the 50M 360 number was from Dec 31st. When we get updated numbers through the end of 2010, I imagine that PS3 and 360 shipment numbers will be within 4-5 million of each other. It's still going to finish with less than half of what the PS2 sold though. Compare that with the 360, which is set to triple the worldwide numbers of the first Xbox (or at least come close).

So I was looking through some of the titles hanging on from several years back and noticed something I found funny. Mario Kart DS and Final Fantasy IV Advance launched very near each other, so they charted together. When Final Fantasy IV remake for DS came out Mario Kart DS was still hanging on, so they charted together too. I know MKDS isn't a weekly hanger on like it used to be, but I wonder if there's any shot of it charting with FF IV Complete.

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
7 games moved over a million copies in 2010.
7 games moved over a million in 2009.
7 games moved over a million in 2008.
10 games moved over a million in 2007.

25 of these 31 games belong to either of the following franchises: Mario (6), Monster Hunter (3), Pokemon (5), Dragon Quest (5), Wii ___ [Sports/Fit/Party, etc] (6)

All 31 games were published by either Nintendo, Capcom or Square Enix

And people wonder why nobody new can "crack" japan sales wise. There's nothing to crack. It's about as old-boys-club as a product for the masses is ever going to get.

Cornbread78

43. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles 2 (SCE) - 249,350

Wow, this seams really low. Could that effect the awaited release in the NA? I'm really looking forward to this game coming overseas!

Cornbread78 said:
43. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles 2 (SCE) - 249,350

Wow, this seams really low. Could that effect the awaited release in the NA? I'm really looking forward to this game coming overseas!
It's less than the first, but a quarter of a million is nothing to sneeze at, regardless of platform.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Kinect adventures = Kinect pack-in in Japan, so that means Microsoft sold 71,030
Kinects in Japan in 2010(Giving us a current attach rate of 5 percent)
I didn't think they counted Pack in games.

yurinka

cantona222 said:

It's the Japanese name for "Platinum" or "Greatest Hits" in PS3 or PSP games. Famitsu count them as separated versions.
cantona222 said:

Just a price cut and a "the best" label in the box.
akilshohen said:
I didn't think they counted Pack in games.
He means the game is only sold as bundled with all Kinect units sold.

So Kinect Adventures units sold (game) = Kinect HW units sold

JaxJag

Banned
It's crazy how different the Western and Eastern tastes in games are.

Out of that top 100, there might be 10 games there that I have any desire to play.

Everything else just looks terrible and uninteresting to me.

GhaleonQ

JaxJag said:
It's crazy how different the Western and Eastern tastes in games are.

Out of that top 100, there might be 10 games there that I have any desire to play.

Everything else just looks terrible and uninteresting to me.

Be honest: do you know what all of them are?

Curufinwe

JoshuaJSlone said:
You are correct, sir.
Xbox_WW

Where does that chart get its figures from?

Nevermind, looks like the 24 million to 21 million figure is accurate. It's really amazing how much Nintendo turned things around in one generation.

Oxx

DaBuddaDa said:
82. [WII] Xenoblade (Nintendo) - 141,059

I think we can kiss the chances of a western localization goodbye.
I dunno. I imagine they could match the Japanese numbers between US and Europe if they put a little bit behind it. Just how expensive is an RPG localisation these days?

Sophia

Oxx said:
I dunno. I imagine they could match the Japanese numbers between US and Europe if they put a little bit behind it. Just how expensive is an RPG localisation these days?

Given the nature of Xenoblade, probably less expensive then localizing Xenoblade ever would be.

Ehh. Not that it seems likely after so long with no word, but I reaally don't think "Didn't quite sell 200K in Japan" is a killer. If anything it's more about what they think its reception would be elsewhere rather than how the Japanese received it. Plenty of games do worse. Making a Top 100 yearly list at all is something the vast majority of games fail to do. As another 2010 Nintendo RPG example, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn comes to mind.

Top Bottom