• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 8/22/22 – 8/28/22 | Earth Defense Force 6 opens at 92,704 retail copies sold.

reksveks

Famitsu has published its estimated physical game software and hardware sales data for Japan for the week of August 22, 2022 to August 28, 2022.
Earth Defense Force 6 was the highest selling new release, moving 68,341 copies on PlayStation 4 and 24,363 copies on PlayStation 5 for an opening week total of 92,704 copies sold.
SD Gundam Battle Alliance followed at 38,634 copies sold on Switch, 17,950 copies on PlayStation 4, and 9,625 copies on PlayStation 5 for an opening week total of 66,209 retail sales.

Soul Hackers 2 opened at 31,604 copies sold on PlayStation 4 and 20,257 copies on PlayStation 5 for a total of 51,861 retail sales.
On the hardware side, the Switch family sold 113,530 units, the PlayStation 5 family sold 25,109 units, the Xbox Series family sold 16,726 units, and the PlayStation 4 family sold 15 units. Next-generation consoles continue to face stock issues.

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

[PS4] Earth Defense Force 6 (D3 Publisher, 08/26/22) – 68,341 (New)
[NSW] SD Gundam Battle Alliance (Bandai Namco, 08/25/22) – 38,634 (New)
[PS4] Soul Hackers 2 (ATLUS, 08/25/22) – 31,604 (New)
[PS5] Earth Defense Force 6 (D3 Publisher, 08/26/22) – 24,363 (New)
[PS5] Soul Hackers 2 (ATLUS, 08/25/22) – 20,257 (New)
[PS4] SD Gundam Battle Alliance (Bandai Namco, 08/25/22) – 17,950 (New)
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 11,644 (4,802,581)
[NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 10,576 (706,637)
[PS4] Saints Row (PLAION, 08/23/22) – 10,013 (New)
[PS5] SD Gundam Battle Alliance (Bandai Namco, 08/25/22) – 9,625 (New)
Rankings 11 to 30 will be announced on September 2.

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

Switch OLED Model – 87,321 (2,311,142)
Switch – 17,558 (18,616,044)
PlayStation 5 – 21,628 (1,629,033)
Xbox Series X – 10,044 (154,575)
Switch Lite – 8,651 (4,870,733)
Xbox Series S – 6,682 (163,699)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 3,481 (262,312)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 130 (1,188,550)
PlayStation 4 – 15 (7,819,839)

Will update with my chart but #2 week for Xbox, only beaten by first week me thinks

That is pretty good for EDF, I think maybe 10-15k less than 5 but I would think the digital numbers would at the very least equalize that.

Really hope it gets a US release announcement soon.

Weird week. Playstation is dominating the top 10, Xbox selling almost 17k... weird!

Also very impressive SWOLED sales. Apparently there is a Splatoon limited edition SWOLED on the market.

Soul Hackers did kinda bad. They really needed to make Switch version.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Pizza Rat GIF by Josh Freydkis

Green rats eatin' good in Japan.

Dane

Those XBOX numbers are insane. What on Earth is happening?
Sony price hike was 20% in japan compared to 10% in europe, not only its much cheaper to buy an Xbox, it is also cheaper than in the US, and this latest chart week was accounting for the last three days when it was hiked.

Last edited:
Sony price hike was 20% in japan compared to 10% in europe, not only its much cheaper to buy an Xbox, it is also cheaper than in the US, and this latest chart week was accounting for the last three days when it was hiked.
I think the real reason is that Microsoft sent a decent amount of Series X consoles to Japan. 10k for one week is a huge shipment (comparatively).

Last edited:
Except PS5 price will only increase in Japan somewhere during September but ok.

This is a reflection of healthy Xbox Series X stock. It has nothing to do with Sony.

Tazzu

Except PS5 price will only increase in Japan somewhere during September but ok.

This is a reflection of healthy Xbox Series X stock. It has nothing to do with Sony.
X1 was in stock, heck the 360 was in stock and we rarely saw numbers like the last few weeks.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I just don’t get the fascination with EDF. Like, once or twice..ok. But it’s quite literally the same thing over and over right?

Does EDF6 add anything new to the formula?

Nautilus

Banned
XENOBLADE, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully its still in the top 30.We'll know tomorrow.

Nautilus

Banned
And finally PS is having SOME presence on the software charts.It only took 2 years.

And yeah, hardware is great, especially Xbox!Would be hilarious if Xbox overtakes PS position in japan just because Sony decided to ignore Japan.

And finally PS is having SOME presence on the software charts.It only took 2 years.

And yeah, hardware is great, especially Xbox!Would be hilarious if Xbox overtakes PS position in japan just because Sony decided to ignore Japan.
They are still behind PlayStation over 10 to 1...

I just don’t get the fascination with EDF. Like, once or twice..ok. But it’s quite literally the same thing over and over right?

The gameplay is extremely good, there is a lot of content to play through and weapons to unlock, and it is co-op.

You are right though, from what I've read 6 is very similar to 5. 5 changed how a couple of the classes played compared to 4 which was great (I actually used the Fencer for once), but yeah you are basically buying refinements each game. The core gameplay is just so satisfying though that I have no problem with that.

Well, this weeks performance was unthinkable a few years back.

Nintendo doing better than Sony was to be expected, but MS getting this close?

Sony is getting too complancent.
The fact that you can buy a Series X in Japan for the equivalent of like $360 probably helps, I would imagine that similar to the PS5 a lot of those consoles are being re-sold elsewhere. You don't even need to charge scalper prices and you would still make money.

Robb

Gold Member
Wow, Playstation software coming back out of the cave. Not to mention Xbox, seems to be doing surprisingly well over there.

Nautilus

Banned
The fact that you can buy a Series X in Japan for the equivalent of like $360 probably helps, I would imagine that similar to the PS5 a lot of those consoles are being re-sold elsewhere. You don't even need to charge scalper prices and you would still make money.
Yeah, I do agree. Still, an amazing situation for both Nintendo and MS. Sony is doing better, but I expected more of tgem.Well, to be fair, I expected more of them in Japan since 2020. So nothing changed that much.

Well, this weeks performance was unthinkable a few years back.

Nintendo doing better than Sony was to be expected, but MS getting this close?

Sony is getting too complancent.
"this close" as in...25k vs 16k for a single week in a time Sony sells everything they can?

It'll need a lot more than this to surpass the overall 10:1 gap.

Tazzu

Not in Japan, no. He means "everything they can make/ship".

If Sony could get as many PS5s to Japan, the Xbox numbers would be a lot lower. Maybe not as bad as Xbox One though.
Actually they are, its the one region where even the S is sold out.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not in Japan, no. He means "everything they can make/ship".

If Sony could get as many PS5s to Japan, the Xbox numbers would be a lot lower. Maybe not as bad as Xbox One though.

We have no evidence of this though. Maybe, just maybe the Japanese have been won over by game pass?

Maybe Microsoft are selling out every week and could havensold more. I mean why would Microsoft send loads of inventory to Japan?

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
EDF ! EDF ! EDF !
To save a mother from an alien attack
From vicious Giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all are forces we won't cut them any slack
The EDF deploys

Hmm can't wait for the us release
20% below 5, maybe digital made up the difference still sweet to see it at number 1

supernova8

Banned
Hard to gauge real demand for Xbox Series S/X in Japan versus PS5s. If you look on Mercari (eBay equivalent) there are about 30 Xbox Series Xs available mostly priced at 75k-85k yen (RRP is 50k, so obviously all scalper listings), but then if you search for PS5 listings there seem to be hundreds of (live) listings.

Maybe people have given up on PS5 (because the prices are so stupid anyway and there's nothing to play, so there's a load of excess stock on Mercari and the scalping motherfuckers refuse to lower their prices) and have decided to give Xbox a try?

If so that's a massive win for Xbox. Until now the Japanese market has pretty much ignored Xbox.

Last edited:

lyan

It's like FIFA, people just need an excuse to fire it up again with their buddies.

MrA

Banned

New levels , enemies and weapons, what else does a sequel need, plus its been 5 years since 5,
Plus edf starts as fun blasting everything that moves on easy to careful strategies and cooperative planing on inferno, like you have to have a plan to win.

Top Bottom