• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 9/7/20 – 9/13/20

Bullet Club

Famitsu Sales: 9/7/20 – 9/13/20

Minecraft Dungeons for Switch opens at 11,450 retail copies sold.

Famitsu has published its estimated physical game software and hardware sales data for Japan for the week of September 7, 2020 to September 13, 2020.

Minecraft Dungeons Hero Edition for Switch was the highest selling new release, moving 11,450 retail copies. It was followed by Metal Max Xeno: Reborn for PlayStation 4 at 7,789 copies and Switch at 7,277 copies.

On the hardware side, the Switch family sold 83,920 units, while the PlayStation 4 family sold 2,161 units, and the 3DS family sold 849 units.

Get the full sales charts below.

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 43,459 (1,527,444)
  2. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 31,558 (5,692,156)
  3. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 12,280 (3,157,661)
  4. [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons Hero Edition (Microsoft, 09/08/20) – 11,450 (New)
  5. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo, 06/05/20) – 9,620 (372,040)
  6. [PS4] Marvel’s Avengers (Square Enix, 09/04/20) – 7,892 (50,871)
  7. [PS4] Metal Max Xeno: Reborn (Kadokawa Games, 09/10/20) – 7,789 (New)
  8. [NSW] Metal Max Xeno: Reborn (Kadokawa Games, 09/10/20) – 7,277 (New)
  9. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 6,761 (3,824,429)
  10. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (The Pokemon Company, 11/15/19) – 6,492 (3,731,449)
Rankings 11 to 30 will be announced on September 18.

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. Switch – 53,462 (12,542,557)
  2. Switch Lite – 30,458 (2,614,388)
  3. PlayStation 4 Pro – 1,726 (1,573,150)
  4. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 824 (1,731,135)
  5. PlayStation 4 – 435 (7,644,179)
  6. New 3DS LL – 25 (5,888,491)
  7. Xbox One X – 24 (20,801)
  8. Xbox One S – 11 (93,531)
Source: Gematsu

Kerotan

The big news this week in japan is metal max launching with more sales on the ps4. Other than that there was the small matter of the PS5 and monster hunter world free for plus players at launch!

Kerotan

No ones gave a shit to PSVita when it was shown with MHP3rd and the same can be said to PS5 and MHW. The new hot stuff just announced and it's on Nintendo Switch.
Vita didn't get a mainline MH?

Switch is getting a spiritual successor to Monster Hunter X the spin off that was very successful.

PS5 will be getting MHW2 and it will be a big step over this handheld version which actually looks very impressive for a handheld title.

Bodomism

Banned
Vita didn't get a mainline MH?

Switch is getting a spiritual successor to Monster Hunter X the spin off that was very successful.

PS5 will be getting MHW2 and it will be a big step over this handheld version which actually looks very impressive for a handheld title.
MHXX was a festival game without story focus thingy according to Capcom.

Nintendo Switch is getting the MHP3rd sequel lead by Ichinose team.

MHP3rd is the best selling MH game in Japan.

Screenshot-2020-09-18-19-40-30-37.png

Cover monsters look the same
ihvrwyxj3qn51.jpg

Japanese Samurai replaced with Ninja
capcom_mhp305.jpg

gameinfo-world_img01.png

Sharing similar Japanese theme home base
16gICfl.jpg

gameinfo-base_img01.jpg

Unfortunate for you but Monster Hunter Rise is going to sell 4-6 million copies alone in Japan.

Kerotan

MHXX was a festival game without story focus thingy according to Capcom.

Nintendo Switch is getting the MHP3rd sequel lead by Ichinose team.

MHP3rd is the best selling MH game in Japan.

Screenshot-2020-09-18-19-40-30-37.png

Cover monsters look the same
ihvrwyxj3qn51.jpg

Japanese Samurai replaced with Ninja
capcom_mhp305.jpg

gameinfo-world_img01.png

Sharing similar Japanese theme home base
16gICfl.jpg

gameinfo-base_img01.jpg

Unfortunate for you but Monster Hunter Rise is going to sell 4-6 million copies alone in Japan.
Fortunately though world will have sold more WW guaranteeing we'll get more Monster Hunter on home consoles and PC where the series looks most impressive.

noshten

TOP 10 Famitsu Switch 2020:
  1. Animal Crossing: New Horizon (Nintendo) - 5.692.156
  2. Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) - 1.031.805
  3. Pokemon Sword / Shield (Pokemon Co) - 743.315
  4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) - 498.652
  5. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo) - 372.040
  6. Smash Ultimate (Nintendo) - 371.377
  7. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 353.675
  8. Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) - 305.045
  9. Super Mario Party (Nintendo) - 285.538
  10. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX (Pokemon Co) - 259.513
TOTAL: 9.913.116

Top 10 Famitsu PlayStation 4 2020:
  1. Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square) - 932.821
  2. Ghost of Tsushima (Sony) - 391.251
  3. Resident Evil 3 (Capcom) - 258.676
  4. Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon (Sega) - 243.769
  5. The Last of Us Part II (Sony) - 222.943
  6. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 180.243
  7. Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. MaxiBoost On (Bandai Namco Games) - 161.014
  8. Nioh 2 (Koei Tecmo) - 156.772
  9. Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers (Atlus) - 149.898
  10. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (Bandai) - 149.654
TOTAL: 2.847.041

• New Horizon has sold twice the amount of the entire PS4 Top 10
  • The highest selling 3rd Party game on the PS4 is FFVII Remake while on the Switch it's Minecraft
  • Sony has five 3rd Party exclusives in it's top 10 compared to zero on the Switch
  • With the launch of Super Mario 3D Collection, Switch will have over 80% software market share for 2020

Nothing revealed about the PS5 is changing the tides, next year Switch will close in on 90% of new software market share, while the Playstation ecosystem has become a very small niche for the Japanese consumer. PS5 is going to face further decline after already declining from PS3/PSV generation to the PS4.

EDIT 1: Forgot about Nioh 2 which came out this year and is in 8th place on the PS4 chart. Making it five Exclusives on the PS4s' Top 10

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

This machine is just fucking curb stomping everything....

And it's the same across all the oceans in the world, also Animal Crossing is going to become the biggest selling game in Japanese history, who on earth could have predicted that in a post GAAS, post Smartphone world, that a traditional console game would still put them all in their place

Bodomism

Banned
Fortunately though world will have sold more WW guaranteeing we'll get more Monster Hunter on home consoles and PC where the series looks most impressive.
And MHR will be the best selling MH exclusive even more than FF7R on PS4 and FF16 on PS5 as MH4 series alone is sitting at 9 million units on 3ds.

Kerotan

And MHR will be the best selling MH exclusive even more than FF7R on PS4 and FF16 on PS5 as MH4 series alone is sitting at 9 million units on 3ds.
Not WW it won't be the best selling. That ultimately guarantees the ps5 and by default the PC and maybe xbox will get the ultimate sequel to World in a few years. Until then there is World which is the best MH until then.

Bodomism

Banned
Not WW it won't be the best selling. That ultimately guarantees the ps5 and by default the PC and maybe xbox will get the ultimate sequel to World in a few years. Until then there is World which is the best MH until then.
It will. Exclusive on Nintendo platform is always gigantic.

TLZ

Banned
No ones gave a shit to PSVita when it was shown with MHP3rd and the same can be said to PS5 and MHW. The new hot stuff just announced and it's on Nintendo Switch.
You are the cringiest asshole I've seen on this site. And that says something.

All you do is fanboy trolling. Every post. I don't know how you're still here.

Clarissa

Banned
You are the cringiest asshole I've seen on this site. And that says something.

All you do is fanboy trolling. Every post. I don't know how you're still here.
He's kinda like my friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony. :messenger_squinting_tongue: :messenger_squinting_tongue: :messenger_squinting_tongue:

But I don't think Bodomism forces his kids to wear Nintendo pajamas and tee-shirts to school.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Bodomism

Banned
Sorry but it won't. It was made for the ps3 originally, made popular by the psp and the ps4 took it to a new level helped by the pc. Switch version will do excellent but it's not top dog anymore.
PS4/XBO/PC vs NSW and NSW version is going to sell the most vs the others individually.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
He's kinda like my friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony. :messenger_squinting_tongue: :messenger_squinting_tongue: :messenger_squinting_tongue:

But I don't think Bodomism forces his kids to wear Nintendo pajamas and tee-shirts to school.
Your friend is the first one I thought of..... It might be him! Or maybe there's an army of them....!

Clarissa

Banned
Your friend is the first one I thought of..... It might be him! Or maybe there's an army of them....!

He's got some ways to go before he reaches my friend's level.

My friend is The Beatles. B Bodomism is Aerosmith
Lionel Richie Lionel Richie is Westlife.

Lionel Richie, you gotta step up your game for my friend to notice you. :messenger_squinting_tongue:
I believe in you. You can be Oasis level and be almost on par with my friend. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:

Rac3r

Handhelds dominating in Japan as usual.

I wonder if Sony regrets not investing more to support the Vita (and it's potential successor). Going all in on PS4 + VR obviously paid off but they missed out on a huge revenue stream.

Kerotan

I just want to say I knew for years the switch would get another monster hunter. All the Nintendo fans having weekly meltdowns just because the switch didn't get world. Well if the switch was around a few years earlier it would have been included as a platform. They got that 3ds port to start with and capcom worked on building a proper portable game not just port. I'm very happy with this as it likely means the ps4 and PC will get it's own MH now which won't be held back by the archaic power levels of the switch.

I also touted for years the idea that Sony xbox might not get FF16 especially at launch. Ff15 had a tiny percentage of it's sales on xbox and some of those fans will just buy it on PC/PS5 instead so they are not many lost sales. Easy for Sony to do a deal there. And obviously with FF7 being a raging success that strengthened Sony's case.

How much do you want to bet MHR is going to outsell the living shit out of MHW on the single platform of your choice?
I don't want to bet but I know it ain't outselling MHW.
Handhelds dominating in Japan as usual.

I wonder if Sony regrets not investing more to support the Vita (and it's potential successor). Going all in on PS4 + VR obviously paid off but they missed out on a huge revenue stream.
No they made the right choice. Double downed on ps4 which resulted in record profits for them.

It also left Nintendo alone which has benefited them too.

Kerotan

Fair enough, I bookmarked this post. MHR is going to eat alive whatever single platform champion version of MHW you pick. I'll you remind you when the time comes friend.
MHW isn't on one platform and it's sales record is going to last. It will top 20M. Maybe MHW2 will beat it.

Kerotan

But MHR is on one platform. Therefore, it's only fair for you to pick a version of MHW and compare it to MHR. Say, the PS4 version of MHW. Is it going to sell more than MHR?
I don't know but it would need to sell more them all 3 versions combined to make a case for capcom to stop making the ultimate versions on ps4/xbox/pc.

Top Bottom