Famitsu Sales: Top 100 2008

#1
01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) 2,452,111
02. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon) 2,187,337
03. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) 2,149,131 / 2,967,297
04. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) 2,003,315
05. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) 1,747,113
06. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven (Nintendo) 1,350,671
07. [NDS] Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Square Enix) 1,176,082
08. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) 895,302
09. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo) 855,427
10. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) 841,736 / 3,306,470

11. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) 686,254
12. [PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy (Square Enix) 660,262
13. [NDS] Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (Pokemon) 636,777
14. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (Sega) 633,954
15. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) 628,143
16. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) 621,890 / 3,317,318
17. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) 602,625 / 2,593,294
18. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) 599,621 / 1,832,265
19. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girl's Mode (Nintendo) 549,348
20. [PS2] Super Robot Taisen Z (Bandai Namco) 480,093

21. [NDS] Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: 7-tsu no Shima no Daibouken (Bandai Namco) 444,133
22. [NDS] Chrono Trigger (Square Enix) 433,988
23. [NDS] DS Bimoji Training (Nintendo) 425,272
24. [NDS] Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (Nintendo) 424,477
25. [PS2] Warriors Orochi 2 (Koei) 411,019
26. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) 377,034 / 5,372,187
27. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) 376,632
28. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam (Bandai Namco) 357,783
29. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) 338,531 / 4,852,053
30. [WII] Wii Music (Nintendo) 323,882

31. [PS3] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom) 310,012
32. [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) 297,896
33. [PS2] Persona 4 (Atlus) 294,214
34. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 (Konami) 286,901
35. [NDS] Derby Stallion DS (Enterbrain) 286,682
36. [PS2] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (Bandai Namco) 277,182
37. [PS3] Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! (Sega) 270,438
38. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) 256,832 / 1,310,766
39. [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (Nintendo) 252,309
40. [PSP] Gundam Battle Universe (Bandai Namco) 252,092

41. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco) 251,083
42. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Devil's Box (Level 5) 250,616 / 865,954
43. [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Touch de Dokodon! (Bandai Namco) 245,829 / 524,827
44. [WII] Deca Sports (Hudson) 241,701
45. [NDS] Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (Nintendo) 240,176
46. [NDS] Little Magicians Magic Adventure (Konami) 233,449
47. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) 231,056 / 594,157
48. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 (Capcom) 230,499 / 1,720,397
49. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) 229,011
50. [WII] Link's Crossbow Training (Nintendo) 227,621

51. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Pokemon) 227,226 / 5,624,430
52. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: Spec III (SCE) 223,837
53. [PS2] Dynasty Warriors 6 (Koei) 223,328 / 555,496
54. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness (Pokemon) 215,513 / 1,472,029
55. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 (Konami) 213,551
56. [NDS] Tokoton Kanji Brain (IE Institute) 213,088 / 324,351
57. [WII] Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Bandai Namco) 212,408
58. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo) 209,812 / 939,125
59. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (Bandai Namco) 206,438
60. [WII] Mario Super Sluggers (Nintendo) 204,553

61. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles (SCE) 203,033
62. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 (Konami) 199,789
63. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom) 199,117
64. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) 197,422 / 945,106
65. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (Konami) 196,788
66. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) 195,779
67. [PSP] Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami) 190,140
68. [NDS] Dragon Ball DS (Bandai Namco) 185,229
69. [NDS] Brain Age 2 (Nintendo) 184,560 / 4,967,131
70. [NDS] Ganbaru Watashi no Kakei Diary (Nintendo) 180,563 / 550,022

71. [NDS] Tottadoo! Yoiko no Mujintou Seikatsu (Bandai Namco) 179,007
72. [NDS] Tales of Hearts: CG Movie Edition/Anime Movie Edition (Bandai Namco) 176,526
73. [NDS] Quiz Magic Academy (Konami) 175,636
74. [NDS] Final Fantasy IV (Square Enix) 175,388 / 622,475
75. [NDS] Ryuusei no RockMan 3: Black Ace/Red Joker (Capcom) 174,426
76. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui (Bandai Namco) 174,107
77. [PSP] Super Robot Taisen A Portable (Bandai Namco) 171,475
78. [PS3] Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (Bandai Namco) 163,010
79. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5) 162,839 / 928,597
80. [PSP] Warriors Orochi (Koei) 162,403

81. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (Square Enix) 161,783 / 1,214,610
82. [360] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco) 161,070
83. [NDS] SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi (EA) 159,245
84. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (Konami) 154,987
85. [NDS] Tamagotchi Kira Kira Omisecchi (Bandai Namco) 154,939
86. [NDS] Bokujou Monogatari: Kira Kira Taiyou to Nakama Tachi (Marvelous) 154,525
87. [PSP] Macross Ace Frontier (Bandai Namco) 149,131
88. [PSP] Yuusha no Namaikida 2 (SCE) 146,767
89. [NDS] Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard (Atlus) 145,421
90. [PSP] Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution (Square Enix) 143,424

91. [NDS] Nintendogs (Nintendo) 142,591 / 1,850,984
92. [PS2] Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut (Bandai Namco) 142,301
93. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) 141,589
94. [NDS] Brain Age (Nintendo 140,992 / 3,750,890
95. [PS2] Suzumiya Haruhi no Tomadoi (Bandai Namco) 139,425
96. [NDS] Saka-Tsuku DS: Touch and Direct (Sega) 137,051
97. [NDS] Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (Square Enix) 136,948
98. [PS2] Ryu ga Gotoku 2, PlayStation 2 the Best (Sega) 136,809 / 201,866
99. [NDS] Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin: KanKen DS 2 + Jouyou Kanji Jiten (Rocket Company) 136,750 / 297 873
100. [PS2] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) 135,128 / 680,152

Thanks to bttb!

http://www.kyoto.zaq.ne.jp/dkbkq103/yso/top100/2008.htm
 

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
#4
Laguna said:
79. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5) 162,839 / 928,597

Will it do its way to a million?
I thought it had already passed it...

EDIT: Ah, Media Create is the one who has Layton 1 & 2 over the million mark.
 
#6
Regulus Tera said:
I thought it had already passed it...

EDIT: Ah, Media Create is the one who has Layton 1 & 2 over the million mark.
From this top100 we can see the as of the end of 2008, the series stands like this:

Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5) - 15/02/07 - 928,597
Professor Layton and the Devil's Box (Level 5) - 29/11/07 - 865,954
Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) - 27/11/08 - 628,143

That's a 2,422,694 total for the series, in the span of what will be 2 years this Feb. Pretty impressive for a debut series from Level 5 as a publisher.
 
#13
AkuMifune said:
There's something wrong with the world today
I don't know what it is
Something's wrong with our eyes

We're livin' on the edge!
I don't know why people think these are BAD sales. I really honestly don't. Let's look at the only 3 new IP RPGs in the Top100 (if I missed any, please correct me):

49. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) 229,011
61. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles (SCE) 203,033
93. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) 141,589

All things considered, I would say Valkyria did pretty well, and in general the RPG genre in Japan simply has less and less room for anything that isn't an established franchise.
 

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
#14
if it doesnt sell a million, its a failure!



pretty large gap between 18 and 19. It seems like it was almost assured that any game you released in that year was gonna sell less than half million
 
#15
Benedict said:
1 Xbox 360 game
10 PS3 games

Seems this generation of hardware is a lost cause in Japan.
And 15 Wii games. Neither 3 are dominating on the chart, well neither two I should say. Seems that the DS and PSP are going to do the best in Japan.
 
#16
davepoobond said:
pretty large gap between 18 and 19. It seems like it was almost assured that any game you released in that year was gonna sell less than half million
The number after the slash is LTD if it didn't come out that year and the list is ordered in YTD. The YTD gap is only about 50k.
 
#17
duckroll said:
I don't know why people think these are BAD sales. I really honestly don't. Let's look at the only 3 new IP RPGs in the Top100 (if I missed any, please correct me):

49. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) 229,011
61. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles (SCE) 203,033
93. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) 141,589

All things considered, I would say Valkyria did pretty well, and in general the RPG genre in Japan simply has less and less room for anything that isn't an established franchise.
While I agree that the sales aren't bad, I am kind of sad that there were only three new RPG IPs that made the top 100 at all for 2008. That strikes me as more of an issue than how the ones that are there are selling, since we could end up with even less next year because of it.
 
#20
I don't get the surprising picture: new JRPGs suffer because of enstablished JRPGs, in facts it is true for every genre. I mean something like a Mario Kart game can't sell on a Nintendo console as long as Mario Kart is there.
 
#22
Software Sales

Hardware | 2008 | 2007 | growth rate
NDS | 28,260,498 | 39,130,595 | -28%
PSP | 9,745,758 | 6,750,169 | +44%
Wii | 13,802,220 | 11,665,679 | +18%
PS3 | 5,155,082 | 2,951,390 | +75%
PS2 | 7,111,971 | 13,262,872 | -46%
360 | 1,770,034 | 1,480,551 | 20%
Other | 210,100 | 612,905 | -66%
I had to do it, sorry :p
 
#25
Phantast2k said:
I had to do it, sorry :p
If this trend continues, the PS3 will have sold about 450 million by 2016, which means by the time the 10 year plan is up about half of the Japanese population will have two PS3s, and hey why not.
 
#28
cvxfreak said:
01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) 2,452,111
02. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon) 2,187,337
03. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) 2,149,131 / 2,967,297
04. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) 2,003,315
05. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) 1,747,113
06. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven (Nintendo) 1,350,671
07. [NDS] Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Square Enix) 1,176,082
08. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) 895,302
09. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo) 855,427
10. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) 841,736 / 3,306,470

11. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) 686,254
12. [PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy (Square Enix) 660,262
13. [NDS] Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (Pokemon) 636,777
14. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (Sega) 633,954
15. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) 628,143
16. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) 621,890 / 3,317,318
17. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) 602,625 / 2,593,294
18. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) 599,621 / 1,832,265
19. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girl's Mode (Nintendo) 549,348
20. [PS2] Super Robot Taisen Z (Bandai Namco) 480,093
21. [NDS] Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: 7-tsu no Shima no Daibouken (Bandai Namco) 444,133
22. [NDS] Chrono Trigger (Square Enix) 433,988
23. [NDS] DS Bimoji Training (Nintendo) 425,272
24. [NDS] Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (Nintendo) 424,477
25. [PS2] Warriors Orochi 2 (Koei) 411,019
26. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) 377,034 / 5,372,187
27. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) 376,632
28. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam (Bandai Namco) 357,783
29. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) 338,531 / 4,852,053
30. [WII] Wii Music (Nintendo) 323,882

31. [PS3] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom) 310,012
32. [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) 297,896
33. [PS2] Persona 4 (Atlus) 294,214
34. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 (Konami) 286,901
35. [NDS] Derby Stallion DS (Enterbrain) 286,682
36. [PS2] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (Bandai Namco) 277,182
37. [PS3] Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! (Sega) 270,438
38. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) 256,832 / 1,310,766
39. [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (Nintendo) 252,309
40. [PSP] Gundam Battle Universe (Bandai Namco) 252,092

41. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco) 251,083
42. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Devil's Box (Level 5) 250,616 / 865,954
43. [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Touch de Dokodon! (Bandai Namco) 245,829 / 524,827
44. [WII] Deca Sports (Hudson) 241,701

45. [NDS] Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (Nintendo) 240,176
46. [NDS] Little Magicians Magic Adventure (Konami) 233,449
47. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) 231,056 / 594,157
48. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 (Capcom) 230,499 / 1,720,397
49. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) 229,011
50. [WII] Link's Crossbow Training (Nintendo) 227,621

51. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Pokemon) 227,226 / 5,624,430
52. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: Spec III (SCE) 223,837
53. [PS2] Dynasty Warriors 6 (Koei) 223,328 / 555,496
54. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness (Pokemon) 223,328 / 1,479,844
55. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 (Konami) 213,551
56. [NDS] Tokoton Kanji Brain (IE Institute) 213,088 / 324,351
57. [WII] Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Bandai Namco) 212,408
58. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo) 209,812 / 939,125
59. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (Bandai Namco) 206,438
60. [WII] Mario Super Sluggers (Nintendo) 204,553

61. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles (SCE) 203,033
62. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 (Konami) 199,789
63. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom) 199,117
64. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) 197,422 / 945,106
65. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (Konami) 196,788
66. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) 195,779
67. [PSP] Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami) 190,140
68. [NDS] Dragon Ball DS (Bandai Namco) 185,229
69. [NDS] Brain Age 2 (Nintendo) 184,560 / 4,967,131
70. [NDS] Ganbaru Watashi no Kakei Diary (Nintendo) 180,563 / 550,022

71. [NDS] Tottadoo! Yoiko no Mujintou Seikatsu (Bandai Namco) 179,007
72. [NDS] Tales of Hearts: CG Movie Edition/Anime Movie Edition (Bandai Namco) 176,526
73. [NDS] Quiz Magic Academy (Konami) 175,636
74. [NDS] Final Fantasy IV (Square Enix) 175,388 / 622,475
75. [NDS] Ryuusei no RockMan 3: Black Ace/Red Joker (Capcom) 174,426
76. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui (Bandai Namco) 174,107
77. [PSP] Super Robot Taisen A Portable (Bandai Namco) 171,475
78. [PS3] Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (Bandai Namco) 163,010
79. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5) 162,839 / 928,597
80. [PSP] Warriors Orochi (Koei) 162,403

81. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (Square Enix) 161,783 / 1,214,610
82. [360] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco) 161,070
83. [NDS] SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi (EA) 159,245
84. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (Konami) 154,987
85. [NDS] Tamagotchi Kira Kira Omisecchi (Bandai Namco) 154,939
86. [NDS] Bokujou Monogatari: Kira Kira Taiyou to Nakama Tachi (Marvelous) 154,525
87. [PSP] Macross Ace Frontier (Bandai Namco) 149,131
88. [PSP] Yuusha no Namaikida 2 (SCE) 146,767
89. [NDS] Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard (Atlus) 145,421
90. [PSP] Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution (Square Enix) 143,424

91. [NDS] Nintendogs (Nintendo) 142,591 / 1,850,984
92. [PS2] Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut (Bandai Namco) 142,301
93. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) 141,589
94. [NDS] Brain Age (Nintendo 140,992 / 3,750,890
95. [PS2] Suzumiya Haruhi no Tomadoi (Bandai Namco) 139,425
96. [NDS] Saka-Tsuku DS: Touch and Direct (Sega) 137,051
97. [NDS] Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (Square Enix) 136,948
98. [PS2] Ryu ga Gotoku 2, PlayStation 2 the Best (Sega) 136,809 / 201,866
99. [NDS] Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin: KanKen DS 2 + Jouyou Kanji Jiten (Rocket Company) 136,750 / 297 873
100. [PS2] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) 135,128 / 680,152

Thanks to bttb!

http://www.kyoto.zaq.ne.jp/dkbkq103/yso/top100/2008.htm

Good numbers all around but still kinda astonished by Tales and other traditional RPGs being sucked down in the charts. Currently, Taiko no Tatsujin is Namco's most powerful franchise. Unexpected.
 
#34
cvxfreak said:
01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) 2,452,111
02. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon) 2,187,337
03. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) 2,149,131 / 2,967,297
04. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) 2,003,315
05. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) 1,747,113
06. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven (Nintendo) 1,350,671
07. [NDS] Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Square Enix) 1,176,082
08. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) 895,302
09. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo) 855,427
10. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) 841,736 / 3,306,470

11. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) 686,254
12. [PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy (Square Enix) 660,262
13. [NDS] Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (Pokemon) 636,777
14. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (Sega) 633,954
15. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) 628,143
16. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) 621,890 / 3,317,318
17. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) 602,625 / 2,593,294
18. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) 599,621 / 1,832,265
19. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girl's Mode (Nintendo) 549,348
20. [PS2] Super Robot Taisen Z (Bandai Namco) 480,093

21. [NDS] Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: 7-tsu no Shima no Daibouken (Bandai Namco) 444,133
22. [NDS] Chrono Trigger (Square Enix) 433,988
23. [NDS] DS Bimoji Training (Nintendo) 425,272
24. [NDS] Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (Nintendo) 424,477
25. [PS2] Warriors Orochi 2 (Koei) 411,019
26. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) 377,034 / 5,372,187
27. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) 376,632
28. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam (Bandai Namco) 357,783
29. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) 338,531 / 4,852,053
30. [WII] Wii Music (Nintendo) 323,882

31. [PS3] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom) 310,012
32. [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) 297,896
33. [PS2] Persona 4 (Atlus) 294,214
34. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 (Konami) 286,901
35. [NDS] Derby Stallion DS (Enterbrain) 286,682
36. [PS2] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (Bandai Namco) 277,182
37. [PS3] Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! (Sega) 270,438
38. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) 256,832 / 1,310,766
39. [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (Nintendo) 252,309
40. [PSP] Gundam Battle Universe (Bandai Namco) 252,092

41. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco) 251,083
42. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Devil's Box (Level 5) 250,616 / 865,954
43. [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Touch de Dokodon! (Bandai Namco) 245,829 / 524,827
44. [WII] Deca Sports (Hudson) 241,701
45. [NDS] Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (Nintendo) 240,176
46. [NDS] Little Magicians Magic Adventure (Konami) 233,449
47. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) 231,056 / 594,157
48. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 (Capcom) 230,499 / 1,720,397
49. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) 229,011
50. [WII] Link's Crossbow Training (Nintendo) 227,621

51. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Pokemon) 227,226 / 5,624,430
52. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: Spec III (SCE) 223,837
53. [PS2] Dynasty Warriors 6 (Koei) 223,328 / 555,496
54. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness (Pokemon) 223,328 / 1,479,844
55. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 (Konami) 213,551
56. [NDS] Tokoton Kanji Brain (IE Institute) 213,088 / 324,351
57. [WII] Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Bandai Namco) 212,408
58. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo) 209,812 / 939,125
59. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (Bandai Namco) 206,438
60. [WII] Mario Super Sluggers (Nintendo) 204,553

61. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles (SCE) 203,033
62. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 (Konami) 199,789
63. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom) 199,117
64. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) 197,422 / 945,106
65. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (Konami) 196,788
66. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) 195,779
67. [PSP] Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami) 190,140
68. [NDS] Dragon Ball DS (Bandai Namco) 185,229
69. [NDS] Brain Age 2 (Nintendo) 184,560 / 4,967,131
70. [NDS] Ganbaru Watashi no Kakei Diary (Nintendo) 180,563 / 550,022

71. [NDS] Tottadoo! Yoiko no Mujintou Seikatsu (Bandai Namco) 179,007
72. [NDS] Tales of Hearts: CG Movie Edition/Anime Movie Edition (Bandai Namco) 176,526
73. [NDS] Quiz Magic Academy (Konami) 175,636
74. [NDS] Final Fantasy IV (Square Enix) 175,388 / 622,475
75. [NDS] Ryuusei no RockMan 3: Black Ace/Red Joker (Capcom) 174,426
76. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui (Bandai Namco) 174,107
77. [PSP] Super Robot Taisen A Portable (Bandai Namco) 171,475
78. [PS3] Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (Bandai Namco) 163,010
79. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5) 162,839 / 928,597
80. [PSP] Warriors Orochi (Koei) 162,403

81. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (Square Enix) 161,783 / 1,214,610
82. [360] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco) 161,070
83. [NDS] SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi (EA) 159,245
84. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (Konami) 154,987
85. [NDS] Tamagotchi Kira Kira Omisecchi (Bandai Namco) 154,939
86. [NDS] Bokujou Monogatari: Kira Kira Taiyou to Nakama Tachi (Marvelous) 154,525
87. [PSP] Macross Ace Frontier (Bandai Namco) 149,131
88. [PSP] Yuusha no Namaikida 2 (SCE) 146,767
89. [NDS] Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard (Atlus) 145,421
90. [PSP] Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution (Square Enix) 143,424

91. [NDS] Nintendogs (Nintendo) 142,591 / 1,850,984
92. [PS2] Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut (Bandai Namco) 142,301
93. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) 141,589
94. [NDS] Brain Age (Nintendo 140,992 / 3,750,890
95. [PS2] Suzumiya Haruhi no Tomadoi (Bandai Namco) 139,425
96. [NDS] Saka-Tsuku DS: Touch and Direct (Sega) 137,051
97. [NDS] Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (Square Enix) 136,948
98. [PS2] Ryu ga Gotoku 2, PlayStation 2 the Best (Sega) 136,809 / 201,866
99. [NDS] Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin: KanKen DS 2 + Jouyou Kanji Jiten (Rocket Company) 136,750 / 297 873
100. [PS2] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) 135,128 / 680,152

Thanks to bttb!

http://www.kyoto.zaq.ne.jp/dkbkq103/yso/top100/2008.htm
0 360 games in the top 100?
 
#37
One 360 game in the top 100. Japanese developers have you realized Japan doesn't give a fuck about the 360 and you should probably stop making exclusive or timed exclusive RPGs for it?
 
#40
rainking187 said:
One 360 game in the top 100. Japanese developers have you realized Japan doesn't give a fuck about the 360 and you should probably stop making exclusive or timed exclusive RPGs for it?
With that logic Japan should just give up on Xbox 360, PS3, PSP and Wii development and go DS exclusive

Wait, that doesn't sound bad at all
 
#41
[Nintex] said:
With that logic Japan should just give up on Xbox 360, PS3, PSP and Wii development and go DS exclusive

Not really. There's plenty of Wii, PSP and PS3 titles on the list. There's one 360 title. One. If it were like number one at least that would be something. It's 82.
 
#42
rainking187 said:
One 360 game in the top 100. Japanese developers have you realized Japan doesn't give a fuck about the 360 and you should probably stop making exclusive or timed exclusive RPGs for it?
You do understand that in most cases, exclusives of any sort are due to money right? Rarely will it be because of other reasons, especially this late in the game when most developers are up to speed. They've already been paid for the title and aren't hurting from any supposed sales from other platforms.

There are some games though that are so massive in terms of cost that have to be multiplatform in order to recuperate any gains from development. 99% of the RPG's released from Japanese developers have been on 360 for 6 month-1year periods and only on 360 in some cases.

Microsoft doesn't care about the sales and neither do the developers. What matters is squeezing Sony in their home turf and making anyone with a PS3 who expects RPG's to wait for such a long time for the title to come around that its old news by then and everyone has moved on. And the biggest thing is to get people over to the Xbox side with games that they can't get but would expect on the PS3.

It's a mind share battle, not a sales battle.
 
#43
CrushDance said:
You do understand that in most cases, exclusives of any sort are due to money right? Rarely will it be because of other reasons, especially this late in the game when most developers are up to speed. They've already been paid for the title and aren't hurting from any supposed sales from other platforms.

There are some games though that are so massive in terms of cost that have to be multiplatform in order to recuperate any gains from development. 99% of the RPG's released from Japanese developers have been on 360 for 6 month-1year periods and only on 360 in some cases.

Microsoft doesn't care about the sales and neither do the developers. What matters is squeezing Sony in their home turf and making anyone with a PS3 who expects RPG's to wait for such a long time for the title to come around that its old news by then and everyone has moved on. And the biggest thing is to get people over to the Xbox side with games that they can't get but would expect on the PS3.

It's a mind share battle, not a sales battle.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Cry moar, pal.
 
#44
Jonnyram said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Cry moar, pal.
Cry about what? I'm explaining why the titles are on 360 when developers could obviously do much better on both platforms, you know like what's happening now due to the rising costs and terrible economy? It's a strategy that Microsoft is using and one that's working very well for them. With every exclusive RPG release the sales of software and hardware increases for them in Japan.

I don't see what there is to cry about? Unless you somehow think I personally am hurting by not getting those RPG's on my PS3? :) I'm sorry to tell you, but I'm not. So you won't be getting any please of seeing me complain about it so you can "lolz at PS3" as you usually do.

Cry moar.
 
#45
CrushDance said:
Cry about what? I'm explaining why the titles are on 360 when developers could obviously do much better on both platforms, you know like what's happening now due to the rising costs and terrible economy?

I don't see what there is to cry about?
You are pulling shit out of your arse and passing it off as the truth. You know nothing about money passing hands, you just assume it's happening because of the platform choice.
 
#46
Jonnyram said:
You are pulling shit out of your arse and passing it off as the truth. You know nothing about money passing hands, you just assume it's happening because of the platform choice.
Oh. Do you have a more reasonable explanation? When this first started happening it was because developers were having trouble with the PS3 architecture, you do remember that right? and you're suggesting that they have trouble now? Namco released Ultimate Ninja Storm on PS3 just a while back and it was a gorgeous looking and playing game, but they couldn't with Vesperia? neither of the other developers could either?

I'm not suggesting that all of it was money hatting, if you read my original post earlier you'd see that. But that is what exclusives boil down to in most cases. I never said Microsoft was evil for doing* it, as Sony themselves have in the past and this gen as well. You're getting all upity because you think I'm calling out Microsoft? Anyway if you really think all those RPG's are coming out only or 360 and PS3 years later is "just because" then you really are not paying attention.
 
#48
Crushdance: The only thing that maybe happened is that Microsoft helped with development in order to get the titles first and avoiding PS3 from even having a momentum. Sony probably didn't care seeing as those would do jackshit for its desperate situation, and settled for having one-year-late leftovers.

All things considered, and seeing as PS3 in Japan is tracking on par with the NGC, is always better having those titles multiplatform than nothing at all.
 
#49
neojubei said:
CrushDance, why you had to spill that milk, now jonny is out for blood. You disrespected his microsoft brothers.
As if I care. I simply stated what I believed to be the case from the many interviews and commentary by Microsoft this gen about Japan and how they're not in it to win but to build the foundations for it. They can do the talking for me, I'm off to bed.

Edit:
Paracelsus said:
Crushdance: The only thing that maybe happened is that Microsoft helped with development in order to get the titles first and avoiding PS3 from even having a momentum. Sony probably didn't care seeing as those would do jackshit for its desperate situation, and settled for having one-year-late leftovers.

All things considered, and seeing as PS3 in Japan is tracking on par with the NGC, is always better having those titles multiplatform than nothing at all.
Like I said, over and over. There could be many reasons and paying for exclusives isn't something unique to any one company. I just stated what I believe to be the reason for some of these exclusives on 360 that for all intent and purposes makes no sense sales wise. Same for PS3 and the haze and etc crap.

Eurogamer: The Xbox 360 has been outselling PlayStation 3 in Japan in recent weeks. Why do think that is? What's finally made that happen?

John Schappert: First and foremost, it's great content. That's the backbone of our system and what drives people to pick it up. We've got great games - Tales of Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery are two locally-made Japanese RPGs exclusive to Xbox 360. I think that's a big driver of sales. People that own last-generation consoles are saying, 'Now there's a reason for me to upgrade.'

Secondly it's our great price point. We've got the most attractive price point of all the next-gen consoles; worldwide, we're less than USD 200. I think those two things combined have given us great success.
1UP: I was actually at the Microsoft RPG conference in Japan where Star Ocean 4, Infinite Undiscovery, and The Last Remnant were shown for 360. So this is a big deal, because up until the point where you announced Final Fantasy XIII for 360, it just looked like, well, "Microsoft's got the B-titles," but now, now you have the triple-A SquareEnix franchise. This is a big problem for the PlayStation 3's momentum in the U.S. among hardcore gamers. It's not only damaging for console rivals to secure console exclusives from each other, but it's almost equally damaging to turn a formerly console-exclusive game into a multi-platform game. That takes a big killer-app out of the PS3's library. Which gets you more excited: Taking a piece of Sony's cake, or showing people that you're still in it to win it?

SK: They're all important. This might be a slightly long answer, but I think it's a great question. First of all, I do believe that exclusive contents are super important to the success of a platform, that's why we've invested so heavily in Microsoft Game Studios. We're talking about Halo, Fable, Gears of War, Forza Motorsport, and so on. That's very important, because those franchises aren't available on anyone else's platform. It's a big driver of our console's success. Taking franchises that were formerly exclusive to PlayStation 3, and bringing them to Xbox 360 is just as valuable. Titles that have traditionally been big drivers of their success from third-parties, like Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, the list goes on and on now, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil. These are franchises that have never existed on Xbox 360, and in a way it's like adding exclusive content, because our customers have never had a chance to enjoy these before.

And the last part of the answer is, is when these franchises do come to Xbox 360, they perform better, sales-wise, on Xbox 360, and I'll give you two examples, look at the success of Grand Theft Auto 4 sales on Xbox 360. Every single one of those units never existed before on our platform, so we're having a lot of success there. And yesterday we revealed that 80 percent of all music downloads across all platforms have happened on Xbox Live, and that's coming from our partners, this is not information we came up with. So, again even though Guitar Hero and Rock Band may be available on other platforms, the fact of the matter is Xbox 360 owners are having longer, deeper experiences. So the combination of all those titles, exclusives, former-exclusives [laughs], and multi-platform titles that have longer experiences on Xbox 360 are all adding up to a great story for us.

SK: [Laughs] There was no mention of Final Fantasy, I noticed, in their press conference today.