• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu scores (first for DS)

king zell

Sawaru Made in Wario (NDS, Nintendo): 9 / 9 / 8 / 10 - (36/40)
Super Mario 64 (NDS, Nintendo): 9 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (30/40)
Feel the Magic: XY/XX (NDS, Sega): 8 / 9 / 7 / 9 - (33/40)
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits (NDS, Namco): 8 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Pokemon Dash (NDS, Nintendo): 8 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (31/40)
The Urbz: Sims in the City (NDS, EA): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Zoo Keeper (NDS, Ignition): 9 / 6 / 7 / 6 - (28/40)
Tendo Dokuta (NDS, Spike): 7 / 8 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Daigasso! Band Brothers (NDS, Nintendo): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
Chokkan Hitofude (NDS, Nintendo): 8 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (31/40)
Zunou ni Asekaku Game Series! Vol. 1: Cool 104 Joker & Setline (NDS, Aruze): 7 / 4 / 5 / 5 - (21/40)

New Jinsei Game (PS2, Atlus): 26/40
Card Captor Sakura: Sakura-Chan to Asobo! (PS2, NHK): 26/40
NBA Live 2005 (PS2, EA): 32/40
Capcom Fighting Jam (PS2, Capcom): 26/40
Derby Tsuku 4: Derby Uma o Tsukurou! (PS2, Sega): 32/40
D-A: White (PS2, Tonkin House): 28/40
Konjiki no Gashbell!! Gekitou! Saikyou no Mamonotachi (PS2, Bandai): 26/40
Ultraman Fighting Evolution 3 (PS2, Banpresto): 29/40
Mr. Incredible (PS2, D3): 29/40
Aleck & Bordon Adventure: Tower & Shaft (GBA, Aruze): 25/40
Cinnamon: Yume no Daibouken (GBA, Imagineer): 24/40
Sylvania Family: Fashion Designer Ninaritai! (GBA, Epoch): 23/40
The Urbz: Sims in the City (GBA, EA): 29/40
Power Pro Kun Pocket 7 (GBA, Konami): 31/40
Mr. Incredible (GBA, D3): 23/40
Kiss x Kiss: Hoshisuzu no Gakuen (GBA, Bandai): 25/40

http://gamefront.de/

Amir0x

Banned
Memles said:
Forget Mario, THIS is the Japanese DS Launch Killer App. These scores only cement that.

Seriously, Wario Ware is the game to show off what your Nintendo DS can do. I'm so angry it wasn't available at US launch :(

Vibri

Banned
king zell said:
Feel the Magic: XY/XX (NDS, Sega): 8 / 9 / 7 / 9 - (33/40)

Damn straight, Famitsu knows what's up. :p

Can't wait for Wario - the game I bought my DS for.

I Work For UbiSoft said:
Not bad for first gen games for any system/handheld... But they could be better.

like a 8.8 for POPWW? how does obligatory posts feel? :)

Great scores all round. MARIO 64 x 4 got hit bad. Bit stinky that score.

not much excitement in the non DS games. All mehish titles.

Memles

Daigasso! Band Brothers (NDS, Nintendo): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
Chokkan Hitofude (NDS, Nintendo): 8 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (31/40)

So...One-Line Puzzle and an apparently shallow (Unless they adjusted how many buttons you have to press) beat Mario 64 DS? Controls or rehash, which do you think it was?

missAran

Wario Ware has great scores, but I don't liek it being the killer-app. It's a nice addition, but I wish Nintendo would've invested in a brand new Mario game or something -- not just Mario 64 shoehorned to work with DS.

Unison

Cripes... It is so obvious that Japan's DS launch lineup stomps all over the US one.

Stupid Nintendo!

Oh well, at least we have plenty to look forward to!

Mrbob

It's strange seeing the game which was once being heralded as the best of all time getting merely above average scores in its rebirth.

mumu

Mrbob said:
It's strange seeing the game which was once being heralded as the best of all time getting merely above average scores in its rebirth.
It still is one of the best of all time and IMO the most groundbreaking game ever. I'm pretty sure their biggest gripe were the controls. The N64 controller was almost like custom made for Mario64. IMO they should've just released the minigames without the Mario around it, people seem to enjoy them more than the actual game anyway. Everyone who is into videogames already played the original one, so the motivation to go through all 120 stars again just to get the 30 new ones is probably not so great.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Mrbob said:
Well, when you take away that analog stick, several buttons, and make the game look a little worse (backgrounds...character models look better), what else do you expect?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This thread proves what someone said about the Revolution launch in another thread; that if nintendo hypothetically released 10 mature games for the Rev and 1 mario game, all people would care about is the mario game.

People, at least, here at GAF, are COMPLETELY IGNORING the great scores that the other games in the DS' lineup received. "OH MY GOD MARIO GOT ONLY a 30!"

It's true; People don't care about anything other than the mario game. :lol

Mrbob

I think people would be cheering if the Mario game at Revolution launch was a *new 3D platformer* with levels designed like *Super Mario Bros 3*.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GaimeGuy said:
This thread proves what someone said about the Revolution launch in another thread; that if nintendo hypothetically released 10 mature games for the Rev and 1 mario game, all people would care about is the mario game.

People, at least, here at GAF, are COMPLETELY IGNORING the great scores that the other games in the DS' lineup received. "OH MY GOD MARIO GOT ONLY a 30!"

It's true; People don't care about anything other than the mario game. :lol

and yet, if Nintendo launched revolution with 10 mature, new properties and no Mario, all people would care about is that there was *no* Mario.

They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Mrbob

mrklaw said:
and yet, if Nintendo launched revolution with 10 mature, new properties and no Mario, all people would care about is that there was *no* Mario.

They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

No, this isn't the problem.

Since 1996, how many Mario games have we had (I'm not looking them all up).

Now, out of all those games, how many are true traditional platformer games?

I'd argue one (Mario 64) but you could also argue for Mario Sunshine as well. The problem isn't with Mario games itself. It's the fact that Nintendo has not made a real successor to Mario 64 in nearly 10 years but they pawn his name in filler games. Hell, they haven't even made a real 2D successor mario game (Wario games are too different in style) on the GBA. All ports of old 2D Mario games. Even the DS version is a port of the N64 game. How about making a true 3D successor to Mario 64 on the DS instead of a port of an 8 year old game?

The good news is Nintendo has officially ran out of Mario games to port. Now they will be forced to make a new one.

Unison

How is Sunshine not "a real successor"?

Just because it's medicore (compared to the others) doesn't mean it's not a Mario platformer.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
GaimeGuy said:

Scores really aren't that great if you consider the fact that it's Famitsu. It's just a boring launch software wise. Too bad the Wario game isn't here yet.

GaimeGuy

See: I don't understand this mentality; that Super Mario Sunshine isn't a successor to Mario 64.

I mean, what makes a game the successor to Mario 64, in your eyes? One that has just as much revolutionary content as Mario 64 did? Wake up, people; It was the first Mario in 3D, it INVENTED the 3D platformer, and you honestly expect ANY new Mario game to be as revolutionary?

Super Mario Sunshine was a successor to Mario 64. I think the problem is that people want something just as revolutionary as Mario 64, and they won't acknowledge any Mario game Nintendo puts out until they get something like that.

Frankly, I thought Mario Sunshine was a great platformer, and worthy of the Mario name. Never understood the backlash.

Mrbob

Unison said:
How is Sunshine not "a real successor"?

Just because it's medicore (compared to the others) doesn't mean it's not a Mario platformer.

Like I said, if you want to consider it a successor that is fine. I don't but I'm not going to argue over it. But this still leaves 2 new traditional Mario platformer games out of how many over these last 8 years on N64/GBA/GC/DS?

mumu

GaimeGuy said:
I think the problem is that people want something just as revolutionary as Mario 64, and they won't acknowledge any Mario game Nintendo puts out until they get something like that.
And they are right! Won't be another Mario64, but surely they can make a game more revolutionary than SMS.

snapty00

Banned
Super Mario 64 DS had the potential to at least be on equal footing with Wario Ware...it really did. But the controls really are as fucked up as people made them out to be. Sure, the first world is doable (if not just a bit annoying), but later levels are frustrating just because it's nearly impossible to make Mario walk in a fucking straight line in a certain direction!

You have to be a moron not to be able to get Mario to walk straight.

But aside from that, yeah the Japanese launch lineup is so much better. Wario Ware is a perfect type of game for the dual screen/touch screen setup, whereas Mario 64 simply is not.

snapty00 said:
Sure, the first world is doable (if not just a bit annoying), but later levels are frustrating just because it's nearly impossible to make Mario walk in a fucking straight line in a certain direction!

Well then I'm a gaming savant because I'm rocking the hell out of "later levels" Hard to walk in the straight line? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

GaimeGuy

snapty00 said:
Super Mario 64 DS had the potential to at least be on equal footing with Wario Ware...it really did. But the controls really are as fucked up as people made them out to be. Sure, the first world is doable (if not just a bit annoying), but later levels are frustrating just because it's nearly impossible to make Mario walk in a fucking straight line in a certain direction!

You suck at the Mario

snapty00 said:
Nah, it's just because the game controls like 1995-fare shit.

Erm, the original Super Mario 64 (1996) is still one of the best controlling 3D games I've ever played. It controls like butter for the most part (swimming levels aside).

Yeah the DS version is more difficult to control, but you can't get Mario to walk in a straight line? Some one get this kid a Celine Dion wig, because he's a pure drama queen.

snapty00

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Erm, the original Super Mario 64 (1996) is still one of the best controlling 3D games I've ever played. It controls like butter for the most part (swimming levels aside).
True. Too bad Super Mario 64 DS doesn't even come close. Nintendo really screwed this one up.

Yeah Mario 64 on the N64 is great, the problem is I can't exactly shove an N64 into my coat pocket and whip it out to play when I'm on the go.

I don't think other 3D games will be as hard hit. I can Metal Gear Solid with either the analog or digital and not really notice a difference (and probably even stuff like Zelda), but Mario 64 is so specifically design for the analog joystick that its difficult to replace that.

snapty00 said:
Nah, it's just because the game controls like 1995-fare shit.

I don't see how a WHINGING annoying little nintendo hating shit like you would have bought a DS to play the game to make that assessment in the first place. Its people like you who false reviews/comments based on ignorance and bias on GAF that makes it the happy fun place it is.

If Pana says it actually doesn't control that bad and is fun. His opinion > pee weeherman > dog shit > you.

stfu and STOP FEEDING THE TROLL.

It is really too bad that we couldn't have gotten Wario Ware, but somehow I feel the Japanese launch was far more important than ours at the moment. We were going to sell out, and well obviously. But with the PSP looming in Japan, the competition is going to be fierce. Nice score though!

TheGreenGiant said:
I don't see how a WHINGING annoying little nintendo hating shit like you would have bought a DS to play the game to make that assessment in the first place. Its people like you who false reviews/comments based on ignorance and bias on GAF that makes it the happy fun place it is.

If Pana says it actually doesn't control that bad and is fun. His opinion > pee weeherman > dog shit > you.

stfu and STOP FEEDING THE TROLL.

IAWTP.

snapty00 said:
True. Too bad Super Mario 64 DS doesn't even come close. Nintendo really screwed this one up.

Says the "gamer" who can't walk in a straight line in the game. LOLOL

Turn in your snapty folks, its all over!!!!

Top Bottom