• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu scores (GT4!)

Solid

Gran Turismo 4 (PS2, Sony): 10 / 9 / 10 / 10 - (39/40)
GoldenEye Rogue Agent (PS2, EA): 8 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (31/40)
GoldenEye Rogue Agent (GC, EA): 8 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
The Urbz (PS2, EA): 7 / 7 / 6 / 6 - (26/40)
Yoshitsune Eiyuuden (PS2, From Software): 8 / 8 / 7 / 7 - (30/40)
WWE Day of Reckoning (GC, Yuke's): 8 / 7 / 8 / 6 - (29/40)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Soul Calibur
Ocarina of Time
Vagrant Story

and we all know Famitsu is the king of game reviews..

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
If Fable got docked for what it could have been in comparison to what it was, why is GT4 getting a pass, i.e, online mode taken out.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Agent Icebeezy said:
If Fable got docked for what it could have been in comparison to what it was, why is GT4 getting a pass, i.e, online mode taken out.

Cause it's probably that freakin good. That's my guess. :D

fugimax

why is GT4 getting a pass, i.e, online mode taken out.
I'll never play GT4, as I'm not a fan of racing games, nor do I play PS2 much, but I assume it is because Fable was built on ideas that required online to execute properly.

GT4 is a racing game. Yes, online would be nice, but it's not necessary in a racing sim. Fable, however, had a lot of elements of a MMORPG such as extreme character customizability, adventuring, etc. Many people ended up taking screenshots of their characters and posting them online because they wanted to show them off but couldn't from the game.

I guess it's just that Fable lent itself a lot more to online than GT4 necessarily does as a core concept that would really enhance the game.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Agent Icebeezy said:
Maybe because it's good enough without the online?

Games should be judged based on what they are, not what people said they might be once upon a time.

XS+

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:

Fable sucks, while GT4 doesn't. That's why, I imagine.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
MetatronM said:
Maybe because it's good enough without the online?

Games should be judged based on what they are, not what people said they might be once upon a time.

You realize that by saying that you're implicitly supporting his point?

While I don't necessarily agree, he's saying that Fable got docked because it was initially very ambitious (huge gameworld, intelligent NPCs, invisible yet meaningful stat gain, full image customizability, ability to play either sex, ability to raise a family, grow old and die, tec) but most of that stuff got cut out and game magazines took points away from it because of it. How is that fair to say that for Fable and not to dock GT4 for missing features (some might say very important features - online is make-or-break for many people) that were originally promised?

As a sidenote - I think Fable scored what it deserved anyway, so I don't agree with the argument in the first place.

Odnetnin

Banned
Wario64 said:
Soul Calibur
Ocarina of Time
Vagrant Story

and we all know Famitsu is the king of game reviews..

the close proximity of vagrant story and ocarnina of time has me seeing the word Vagina.

haha.

um GT4's score is awesome.

SantaC

Agent Icebeezy said:

Console online isn't as important in Japan as in the Western countries.

Blazyr

There is so much in GT4 that online doesn't feel missing.

While they move around a little, cars driving on lines like battering rams is a whole other matter. It is comic at the start of races to watch cars smack each other as they swerve over to get in line. That is until you realize you start at the back of the grid, behind these fools and need to get around them.

That said, the driving is sublime.

Top Bottom