• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Survey Results: Gamers pick their favorite game developers Top 20

miku

1c3z6mI.jpg

- 893 people (632 males, 261 females) voted from ages 10~49 who play console games
- Numbers inside () are voted from people who doesn't play video games

1) Nintendo - 455 (860)
2) Square Enix - 294 (413)
3) Capcom - 253 (373)
4) Konami - 179 (323)
5) Sega Games - 159 (203)
6) Pokemon - 158 (280)
7) Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia - 146 (142)
8) Bandai Namco Entertainment - 134 (161)
9) Koei Tecmo Games - 131 (137)
10) Level 5 - 130 (135)
11) Atlus - 109 (100)
12) Spike Chunsoft - 108 (76)
13) LINE - 76 (412)
14) From Software - 63 (34)
15) GungHo Online Entertainment - 54 (147)
16) Nippon Ichi Software - 46 (45)
17) Colopl - 44 (134)
18) Marvelous - 43 (53)
19) Electronic Arts - 42 (26)
19) GREE - 42 (120)
19) Microsoft Japan - 42 (67)

From Weekly Famitsu weeks ago~

SEGA at number 5. Good, very good.

Glad to see there are some gamers out there with respect for the greats rather than just shitting on Sonic all the time and pretending that's it the only SEGA developer series.

Why would so many people who don't play video games respond to a Famitsu Survey?

Also Nintendo's lead among those people is insane. Over twice as much as second place.

Neff

Glad to see there are some gamers out there with respect for the greats rather than just shitting on Sonic all the time and pretending that's it the only SEGA developer series.

Legacy goes a long way in Japan, and they have a good memory, too.

No SNK is a surprise, though.

Celine

As it is, Sonic is a non-factor in Japan.
There the best-selling Sega properties for dedicated game machines are Yakuza, Miku and Phantasy Star.

Oh and currently Konami isn't releasing much apart from their yearly football and baseball sim and sometime a Metal Gear game.

L Thammy

Nintendo wins by doing absolutely nothing

(I'm sure they did something, but I honestly can't remember what they released this year.)

hatchx

Banned
Surprised Sony is so high. Do Japanese gamers really like Infamous, Uncharted, and Journey that much? I just feel like Sony's games are so heavily western-focused.

Ferr986

Surprised Sony is so high. Do Japanese gamers really like Infamous, Uncharted, and Journey that much? I just feel like Sony's games are so heavily western-focused.

What about Japan Studio? Bloodborne, Gravity Rush....

And lol at the pic and then no Platinum Games. They deserve to be in that list.

Also Nintendo's lead among those people is insane. Over twice as much as second place.

Their lead is pretty incredible among non-gamers too. Not quite as twice as much but not far from it either.

I wonder why Sony is so low... but then when I think about it, I guess they don't really brand their games as Sony, do they? The individual studios keep much of the branding.

Celine

Surprised to see Sony Japan over Bamco. Their games haven't really sold well in Japan, have they?
If you are talking about Bandai Namco ("Their") then it's basically Japan biggest third-party publisher for volume of sales on dedicated gaming systems.

SCEI published some very good selling games on PS1 and PS2 but it's a while since they got a big hit in the hand.
For example Minecraft on Vita (SCE published the game in Japan) is the first Sony published million seller since 2004.
Apart from Minecraft, Knack is the best selling SCE game in Japan this generation at 400K and just because it was bundled with the hardware.

Prophane33

Sad to see GREE and Line there. However, that seems to be the way gaming is going.

Also my favs are #8 and 9. Wish they were higher, but at least they beat FROM and Atlas.

Eolz

For all the complaints about Capcom, Konami, etc...
Where is it said that it's for this gen, 2016 or whatever? Sounds like overall to me, and we can see that nostalgia is playing a role.

I always thought lumping all of a large publishers' works together made this a sort of a useless metric. Who cares if, say, Platinum or From Software makes good games if they're being compared to the entire collective works of Square Enix.

But the internal divisions of some companies (Square Enix, yet again) make it hard to break them down into smaller chunks that can be assessed on their individual merits.

Timeaisis

Japan still in love with Square Enix somehow, even though they haven't done anything remarkable in years. The good graces accumulated from the PS1/PS2 era is real, I guess.

Top Bottom