• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Survey Results: "Japan's Top 3 Biggest RPG" (Surprised?)

miku

XDXMG0u.jpg

Can't post link to scans so here it is

1)
Dragon Quest series
- 366 votes

2)
Final Fantasy series
- 361 votes

3)
Pokemon series
- 135 votes

4)
Tales of series
- 84 votes

5)
Shin Megami Tensei series
- 44 votes

6)
Persona series
- 41 votes

7)
SaGa series
- 29 votes

8)
Kingdom Hearts series
- 23 votes

9)
Suikoden series
- 22 votes

10)
Mother series
- 19 votes

Happy Halloween GAF!

stryke

1) Dragon Quest series - 366 votes

2) Final Fantasy series - 361 votes

3) Pokemon series - 135 votes

4) Tales of series - 84 votes

5) Shin Megami Tensei series - 44 votes

6) Persona series - 41 votes

7) SaGa series - 29 votes

8) Kingdom Hearts series - 23 votes

9) Suikoden series - 22 votes

10) Mother series - 19 votes

Escalario

Banned
SMT above Derpsona? SaGa above KH? Mother in the Top 10?! Japan still has good taste :D

Top 3 couldn't be more predictable.

epmode

1) Dragon Quest series- 366 votes

I want to meet all these folks repeatedly and willingly buying SaGa games.

I thought it was one of those series where everyone bought one by accident at some point in their lives, learned their lesson and moved on.

Some Nobody

If Suikoden were 3rd, I'd be much happier. :( But then again, beside FF and DQ they all rank behind Pokemon which is kinda sad.

Still, list isn't surprising at all. I'm actually more shocked that there's more than 10 J-RPG franchises lol.

18-Volt

Yeah I'm surprised. I was expecting to see The Legend of Heroes, Disgaea, Atelier or Neptunia series instead of SaGa. I don't remember when SE made the last new SaGa game.

Kinda surprised Mother made it, I never knew it was that popular in Japan considering there are only 3 games.

The thing about Mother is that Itoi is a cultural phenomenon. He's a very famous, very respected figure in Japan. So I think despite the dearth of games in the series, the name carries way more weight, due to the association with him, than it does in the U.S.

Wonder if anyone voted Xeno?

Would be mine if we're doing long-running series.

Then again it's not an official series even though the game Director talked about how Xenoblade Chronicles X had things familiar from other "Xeno" games.

Toxi

Banned
Wait, is Pokemon an RPG? I guess it is. I never really thought about it that way.
Did you also know Mario is a platformer?

Surprised that Pokemon was outvoted by almost 3:1 against DQ&FF, but other than that the list isn't too shocking.
It's Famitsu, the audience leans a bit differently than the general audience. DQ is that popular in Japan, but FF isn't.

Tizoc

Refresh my memory: Why is Dragon Quest so popular in Japan for? Is it because of Akira Toriyama's involvement and thus they promoted the series with him throughout the 80s and 90s?

Red

Oh isn't that correct, actually? I don't see them separating Compilation of FFVII from FF, for example :/
I thought they were the same series, but seeing separate entries on this list I assumed it had been split off at some point. Haven't played either one in a while.

Golnei

The definition of a non-representative sample size - while most of the expected series are there, Kingdom Hearts placing that low and mainline SMT being on the list at all show how skewed the results are.

It's not officially a series as a whole, Xenogears, Xenoblade and Xenosaga are separate IPs.

FluxWaveZ

But aren't they both Megami Tensei? Like Compilation of FFVII and Crystal Chronicles are both FF.

I don't know about FF but, yes, they're both Megaten. Megaten includes Devil Summoner, Persona, SMT, Devil Survivor, etc.

The definition of a non-representative sample size - while most of the expected series are there, Kingdom Hearts placing that low and mainline SMT being on the list at all show how skewed the results are.

In terms of sales, SMT probably would be part of the top 10 RPGs in Japan at this point.

Jawmuncher

Xeno probably isn't on there since it's hard to consolidate. I mean technically we can say Xenosaga, Xenoblade, and X are all the same series. But I don't think voting really considered it as such. So it was probably split between Xenoblade and Xenosaga.

massoluk

Banned
Last I remember Pokemon is bigger than DQ. So this kinda proved that video game enthusiasts everywhere is a bit obscured from reality.

1) Dragon Quest series- 366 votes

Nachos

Pretty predictable list, though I'm surprised at how close close first and second place are, and at how the vote count just plummets after 4th place.

Oh isn't that correct, actually? I don't see them separating Compilation of FFVII from FF, for example :/
They were only treated as the same series outside Japan for branding purposes. Now that Persona's popularity has exceeded SMT's in the mainstream, they're now what they always were: just MegaTen.

SMT above Derpsona? SaGa above KH? Mother in the Top 10?! Japan still has good taste :D

Top 3 couldn't be more predictable.
C'mon. Don't put people down for what they like.

Top Bottom