• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu teases “huge scoop” for 4th June, akin to Wired’s PS5 article (likely Sega related)

You guys are thinking crazy talk!
  1. Why would a rebranding/ buy out / sell-out/acquisition/merger be a 60th ANNIVERSARY ANNOUNCEMENT!?!?!
  2. Why would Sammy holdings sell-off SEGA?
  3. Why would a Japanese company sell to a Western company (this case Micorsoft?
  4. Why would an announcement rumored to be at the scale that its alleged not be tied to Playstation 5 reveal giving the closeness of the two events?

the rumor seems too big for just a retro console hardware or Power Stone 3 (and any other SEGA title lock away in the SEGA nostalgia vault)

Im calling it now: Phantasy Star Online 3 / Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode 8 on the Playstation 5 --- it the only safe prediction i can think of.

oldergamer

You guys are thinking crazy talk!
  1. Why would a rebranding/ buy out / sell-out/acquisition/merger be a 60th ANNIVERSARY ANNOUNCEMENT!?!?!
  2. Why would Sammy holdings sell-off SEGA?
  3. Why would a Japanese company sell to a Western company (this case Micorsoft?
  4. Why would an announcement rumored to be at the scale that its alleged not be tied to Playstation 5 reveal giving the closeness of the two events?
1. Who said this was tied to the 60th anniversary
2. Why would sammy have to "sell" sega for any sort of partnership to happen? They wouldn't need to.
3. There is only two reasons any company sells to another. Money or to Survive. Again, they wouldn't "need" to sell. You need to read the book about how close sega came to being sold to MS before the original xbox launched.
4. One is an exclusive in a Magazine (its not getting announced anywhere else to our knowledge) the other is a showing that sony kept changing the date on. Only way to find out if they are or are not related is to wait for them both. (I'm still leaning towards not related). Otherwise it would be classified as a PS5 exclusive.

Im calling it now: Phantasy Star Online 3 / Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode 8 on the Playstation 5 --- it the only safe prediction i can think of.
Well that is clearly not happening when they build audiences on other platforms. Phantasy Star online 2 is currently exclusive to Xbox and PC. Not sure when its coming to other platforms. Bit of a leap to jump to phantasy star 3 when 2 only just came out.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
It is in Xbox interest to offer a more compact console for this Japanese market. Not sure they would do this though, with or without Sega written on the console.

By the way, Sega Japan tweeted this two years ago...

Last edited:
So.....with Sony's event Postponed, does that mean SEGA has no competition to show this "Revolutionary news"?

Or was the Revolutionary news that Sony would pull out for SEGA to show off their new Console? :pie_thinking:

Wonko_C

Sega recently patented touch-screen controls could be related to this
What if the DualSense's "touchpad" in reality is a touchscreen? And Sega patented some novel input method for their PS5 games using it?

Nah it'll probably be just a new mobile game.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
What if it's a VMU-style accessory for one of the next gen consoles....

NWoj4xJ.jpg

yurinka

The Famitsu guy said 'revolutionary news' instead of 'a sequel of a game almost nobody cares'
He's going with this.

Debunked by the Chinese partners of IGN, Polygon and others, who said they have access to the Famitsu magazine and that the Sega news isn't related to Microsoft at all.

The Famitsu guy said 'revolutionary news' instead of 'a sequel of a game almost nobody cares'

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Debunked by the Chinese partners of IGN, Polygon and others, who said they have access to the Famitsu magazine and that the Sega news isn't related to Microsoft at all.

Yeah, this was before the report came out.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I hope it is either a megaton or something so inconsequential it shouldn't even be in the magazine. Hopefully the latter.

There is a rumor on Reddit that Nintendo has an agreement to use Sega IP going forward. It would be very interesting to see Nintendo developed Sonic, and games like Phantasy Star by Monolith, etc.

There is a rumor on Reddit that Nintendo has an agreement to use Sega IP going forward. It would be very interesting to see Nintendo developed Sonic, and games like Phantasy Star by Monolith, etc.
Man, Sega and Nintendo teaming up? This is like when Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth played on the same stage together.

My childhood is shattered

SaucyJack

Bet it's fucking nothing

Would suggest that Microsoft buying Sega is fairly unlikely, and certainly wouldn't be revealed in a Japanese gaming magazine.

As Phil Spencer himself said, the Mojang acquisition ($2 billion) was outwith the reach of Xbox and had to be a group level acquisition. Sega (market cap $3.5 billion, purchase price?) is substantially bigger than Mojang.

Told y'all :messenger_beaming:

JohannCK

Nope.
It was Sega's cloud gaming service.
Not much of a scoop.
It's not a cloud gaming service.

Was that Famitsu scoop released yet? Was it really that Micro thingy from Sega?
No, it was this:

I would like to point out again that Nishikawa's column has always been about tech stuff, and from the very beginning he said that it wasn't a new console. It was pretty obvious that the reveal was going to be something technical. Also I've seen people attacking Sega saying that they "hyped this up" and I'd like to point out that Sega never did such a thing and hasn't even officially announced it yet.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I made fun of the game gear mini but the fog thing.

Look I know arcades are a big deal in Japan but even so. What the fuck. It's like Konami having a big scoop that their pachinko machines are now cloud based.

This is a big deal to dedicated arcades but in what planet does this compare to the Ps5

Thavash

Can sega generate ps5 levels of hype nowadays? I don't think so.
They don’t need the most powerful hardware (PC wins anyway) they just need to bring back fun old style games with no loot boxes, expansions etc and lots of BBB super fun games that nobody takes a chance on now.

DonF

They don’t need the most powerful hardware (PC wins anyway) they just need to bring back fun old style games with no loot boxes, expansions etc and lots of BBB super fun games that nobody takes a chance on now.
doesnt matter, dude. The reveals was a cloud service. The journo was full of shit. Lame announcement.

JohannCK

Couldn't help but notice that there's been a lot of misinformation on the fog gaming thing going around the internet even here (and even after I tried to correct it) so I figured a new anti-misinformation thread to fact check would be justified.

Fog gaming is not a gaming service.

It is not about streaming arcade games at home.

It is not about powering arcade cabinets with cloud computing.

There is no mention of streaming arcade games in the column. It seems like someone somewhere made a blind assumption, and then everyone else started regurgitating it as if it were the truth.

What Sega wants to do is make the next generation of arcade boards cloud-capable, which would turn cabinets into cloud computers and game arcades into data centers.

This eliminates the initial cost of finding space for a data center and getting equipment (since arcades would have to get new machines eventually anyway) and also the running cost of renting the space and maintaining the equipment (they're just maintaining the arcade machines as usual).

This basically means a free data center for every arcade. Sega does plan on expanding this to other game companies and industries, with business VMs and render farms being listed as benefiting from this. Potentially this means thousands of cloud data centers in Japan at basically no cost. It also means that arcades are less likely to go out of business since they have a new source of income.

I wrote an article on it with the full details (what is currently known, at least) here:

This has ramifications for basically everything that has anything to do with cloud computing, albeit only in countries where this is feasible (i.e. where there are lots of arcades). Though depending on how much income the data center stuff brings in this might even mean that it becomes feasible for more arcades to be opened in countries where they usually aren't.

The tech is still in R&D and will ostensibly be applied to the next generation of arcade boards so it isn't something we'll be seeing in the next year or so, but it's still pretty huge for tech. For gaming, not so much aside from the less lag for streaming thing.

Top Bottom