• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu thread of Persona 4 raditude

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
you people should start getting used to Soejima being the art director for Persona games...

duckroll

Systems_id said:
What I like:
- 1.5 times the size of Persona 3
- Murder mystery theme
- Weather system sounds cool

What I'm not feeling so far:
- Countryside setting. I loved the city settings in Persona 3 but we'll see how this turns out. Most likely it'll still rock
- Sounds like the Social Link system isn't returning
- No Kaneko character designs but it seems like his style might not fit again.

Social Link is 100% returning. I didn't mention it because whatever I don't mention, remains in P4. They're keeping all the base systems, but expanding on everything.

sld

Reading this thread makes me want to play some other SMT or Persona games. P3 was my first (and only) Persona game... is P1 and P2 too old to be enjoyable today, and what other SMT games should I check out?

Teasel

birdchili said:
you shouldn't have been able to do this *every time* - i agree (the fact that this wasn't possible in monad is what made it really fun there for the first few levels). having to decide who to leave alive every now and then would have made status ailments more useful and would have generally added a bit to the weight of decisions during fights.
there are quite a good number of enemy on monad that have a weakness to thunder,bring a thunder persona,akihiko and ken and even the hardest dungeon of the game becomes a matter of spamming the same spell over and over
that's why i think the system is broken
anyway we already had this discussion on P3 thread and it's pretty clear no one of us is going to change his point of view so let's close the discussion here

sld said:
Reading this thread makes me want to play some other SMT or Persona games. P3 was my first (and only) Persona game... is P1 and P2 too old to be enjoyable today, and what other SMT games should I check out?

I wouldn't say their too old really. It's just that in terms of Persona 3 you may find them to be more difficult. They still have that nice creepy modern day vibe to them though.

Paracelsus

Teasel said:
there are quite a good number of enemy on monad that have a weakness to thunder,bring a thunder persona,akihiko and ken and even the hardest dungeon of the game becomes a matter of spamming the same spell over and over
that's why i think the system is broken

I thought I was the only one to notice that, or that was just a coincidence. :/

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Troidal said:
Wow...I didn't even get to play P3 yet, but I think I will just go straight to P4 :D

Persona 3 was my first Shin Megami Tensei game.

After the awesome experience that was Persona 3, I will follow the franchise where ever it goes.

duckroll said:
Social Link is 100% returning. I didn't mention it because whatever I don't mention, remains in P4. They're keeping all the base systems, but expanding on everything.
Rock on. I also just saw the scans and the setting looks fantastic, much better than I thought it would. Hopefully this won't take an entire year to get here but that might be a blessing with all the awesome games being released.

Graphically identical to Persona 3 but I guess it's to be expected.

I like how we finally get FES in April and then Japan gets P4 only 3 months later. Persona 4 US release in September 2009.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
- Multiple endings
- 1.5x the size of P3
- 60-70 hours
1.5x the size of P3 means more like 180 hours in my case (though I did waste a good amount of time on P3, so maybe it's more like 150 or 160 :D).

I wonder if that size estimate includes the multiple endings? Meaning, maybe each playthrough is only half as long as P3, but there are three endings so that adds up to 1.5x the length? I would be great with that. I don't know that I'm looking forward to another 100+ hour game (though P3 was my GotY choice).

IPGlider

I just saw some images and looks great, now we can pray for a release outside Japan.

One of my most wanted games since today.

And 1.5x the size of Persona 3 is more than 60 hours, like 120...

birdchili

Vorador said:
Dreaming is cheap :lol ...:(

More like early 2009 in NA

Get P3 FES and support the NA release. You would be contributing to getting P4 in NA at the long run :D
no fes for me. i'm not going to replay the admittedly fine p3 just to get a bunch of new stuff. if they would have made this available early on i would have waited for it. now i'll find other stuff to play.

assuming we're heading back into some randomly generated dungeon(s) for p4 - i hope they spend some time making the layouts and wandering enemy behavior more interesting and diverse.

i'm sure the ps2 will be still hooked up and ready whenever this comes out. it's not like there's an extensive list of upcoming jrpgs that look interesting.

considering the success of persona 3 in the west, atlus usa might be translating this as of now. maybe we get to play persona 4 one year from now on, wich would be pretty fine with me.

sld said:

you should play persona 2 whenever you get a chance. i replayed this 6 month ago and had a blast. flawless game with a mature cast + wonderful artwork = win.

Teasel

sld - definetely check at least nocturne,it's the best of the bunch
and regarding P2... it can be unnerving (slightly high random encounter rate,you need stuff from enemies to make new persona and the process to get it it's a little tedious and feel somewhat random at first,it's also full of secret that doesn't make any sense and some of them are missable) but it's also a pretty good game with nice music and different than your usual normal fantasy rpg

TreIII

I like it. I like it a lot.

*Hugs PS2*

I suppose the only thing I'm worried about is the fact that it seems it's coming out so friggin' fast after P3/FES's JP release. But as long as the team can deliver on quality, I'll have no problem going "back to school" this July. It's looking to be an enjoyable semester. :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Heh, Kaneko and Soejima do an amazing job, I appreciate both for different reasons. Kaneko is the best option for the main SMT series and Soejima is really a better fit for the Persona games.

Kuran

Banned
I am in love with the character design.

Guess I need to keep my US PStwo around a bit longer... Yakuza 2 and Persona 4.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm SO excited about Persona 4. I hope the localization process starts for it soon, I wonder how close to complete they are with the Japanese version, since it is slated for July after all.

epmode

Oh god confirm a US release NOW pls. I'm worried that Atlus will decide a PS2 release won't be worth it after the six year translation time.

ethelred

wsippel said:
Still nothing more on The Sky Crawlers? Can any J-GAFer confirm that it's really developed by Project Aces?

No one really cares. This is all about P4.

epmode said:
Oh god confirm a US release NOW pls. I'm worried that Atlus will decide a PS2 release won't be worth it after the six year translation time.

I don't think they'll decide that at all. Persona 3 was really successful in the US, and I imagine the entire reason they decided to bring over Fes in the first place is because they figured with P4 coming afterward, the fanbase would be intact.

birdchili

pretty sure this'll get localized. the ps2 is still selling fine, and console jrpgs are hardly in full-steam-ahead mode on the new systems.

something similar to p3 with better loot, dungeon generation and a higher challenge would be very nice.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
fuck no what?

he did art for P2, P3 AND now P4.

and his art is awesome, I love Kaneko but I dont mind Soejima doing art for these games.

supercake

I love the idea of taking place in the country, but to echo what someone else said, I don't want the plot to involve running around talking to anybody hoping to trigger something like in Devil Summoner. I could never remember names, so it was a pain.

MechaX

Whoa.. The main character's Persona in P4 is badass on P2:EP levels, and it's not even a Kaneko design. Yeah, it's an insignificant bummer that class-rooms take the front light again, but if the other poster is correct in saying that this is truly a college setting, then the Persona series would be treading some new, interesting ground (EP might have covered adults, but a majority of them were 25+ years old).

Plus, I'm a sucker for mystery/detective-esque material, so I might end up liking P4 much more than P3 if they play their cards right.

Delio

I have to say i loved the school setting in P3 felt really down to earth with all the wacky stuff going on around them. My only hope was being able to date one of the male chars but thats just a dream :/

soul said:
[MGS] has been announced for the Japanese PSN store (PS3/PSP), coming out this Spring.

Not to derail but how is one supposed to
get Meryl's frequency
? Might buy this just so I can reduce disc swapping.

Evlar

Banned
As a recently converted Persona fan this is the best possible news. Certain Day 1 purchase, bring it over Atlus!

Bebpo

Banned
I'm pretty disappointed Atlus has become EA and is just farming out quick and non-risky sequel for profit.

Would it have killed them to use the P3 engine and make a Persona game that was DIFFERENT than 3? Instead of just P3 with a new skin. There's already been two P3 games, three is really pushing it. :\

SMT4 better be crazy as hell and make up for this.

birdchili

Bebpo said:
I'm pretty disappointed Atlus has become EA and is just farming out quick and non-risky sequel for profit.
maybe. there are enough things that could be tweaked from p3 to make p4 a considerably better game: better/more interesting dungeon levels, loot that actually matters, and shadows that move in different ways would be a nice start.

if they're re-using all of their ps2 art assets *again* i might pass. i've been through quite a few games with those beasts by now.

As P3 is my favorite RPG that has come out in close to a decade, I really can't say that I'm too concerned if the gameplay of 4 is similar. As long as it's still fuck awesome, I'll still weeping happy tears and kissing Atlus' golden boots.

Top Bottom