• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Week 11, 2023 (Mar 06 - Mar 12)

MrA

Banned
I think we can all agree that PS5 hardware is going to sell very well this year, but its baseline is going to be closer to 50,000 than 90,000. Not that it needs to be 90,000 to still be great sales.
the way I see baseline weekly
70k+ amazing sales
40-70k excellent
30k sustainable
20k, back to ps4
10k vita means life
the ps5 does have to burn through the pent up demand, we still aren't sure what the new baseline is.

Very good numbers for the PS5 without any new releases, it's Up YoY a lot compared to 2022 and 2021, it will be interesting to see what the numbers could be when PS5 only games start to release more and more.

Hardware sales are good based on the demand meeting supply, but when the people who have been waiting get it, then the low software sales is going to become an issue for the PS5. FF16 will give it a bump but it needs more than that.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I think we can all agree that PS5 hardware is going to sell very well this year, but its baseline is going to be closer to 50,000 than 90,000. Not that it needs to be 90,000 to still be great sales.
I think that even 50k is way too high, but I'll be pleasently surprised if it is.

Also isn't this supposed to be the week release where our resident expert in Japan mathematics said we would see the PS5 drop 50% and fall behind the PS4 or was that next week?

He has vanished.
Henry or Henri has left the Building.

We still have one expert left tho, the majority are on Installbase forum.

Woopah

I always thought it was gonna be 50k the last few weeks, 90k+ weekly was a surprise.

Even though playstation have some big third party stuff like re4r,sf6 and ff16 coming out, 50k+ baseline seems pretty decent for outside that. Maybe spiderman 2 could gives a boost but no idea how well spiderman games do well in japan.
Spiderman did 323,000, so right now Spiderman 2 is PlayStation's biggest game for the end of the year.
the way I see baseline weekly
70k+ amazing sales
40-70k excellent
30k sustainable
20k, back to ps4
10k vita means life
the ps5 does have to burn through the pent up demand, we still aren't sure what the new baseline is.
Agree 100%
I think that even 50k is way too high, but I'll be pleasently surprised if it is.
What are you expecting?

Unknown?

Everything you just said to me could also be applied to you. How do you know it's just because a lot of units are unavailable? Amazon is just one retailer, and there are probably bigger retailers out there(Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one). How do you know, then, that's it's not just pent up demand?

That's why all I said its a thesis.My post is filled with probably, and maybes. Based on educated guesses and data, but still a thesis.But the good news is that every week we get new data, and so we should know whose thesis is correct sooner rather than later.

The last part refer to bumps caused by big releases, such as RE 4 Remake and FF XVI. I don't expect those inevitable bumps in hardware in sales to last more than 1 or 2 weeks.
He wasn't arguing that though, just showing how weak the argument is in the opposite direction.

Nautilus

Banned
Spiderman did 323,000, so right now Spiderman 2 is PlayStation's biggest game for the end of the year.

Agree 100%

What are you expecting?
Honestly? Considering that PS systems have been on a downward spiral ever since the PS2, and that the PS5 has seemingly done nothing to stop that and that the software situation is horrenduos, it stands to reason that it will peform as well or worse than the PS4.

So I believe it should be around 20k.

Go_Ly_Dow

Golden Week end of April will see a strong hardware sales bump and then FFXVI in June will generate buzz.

I imagine Sony will have this PS Showcase late too between both of those.

They may well show: FFXVI, FFVII:R, DQXII, KH4. All of these games are announced but they haven't shown hardly anything of the latter 3. Would generate some buzz for Japanese gamers.

Also, some potential announcements for PS5 this year: P3 Remake, P6, Tales of Arise 2, FFIX Remake, FFX related game, FF Tactics etc..

Next Yakuza and Stellar Blade will also appeal to Japanese fans, as well as Spiderman 2.

Good years ahead for the platform in its home territory I feel and a slim model would go down well no doubt.

Last edited:

Baki

Famitsu: PS5 YTD
2023 744,592 (week 11 64,869)
2022 221,740 (week 11 16,286)

Famitsu: LTD, Week 122
PS5 3,121,981 (week 122 64,869)
PS3 2,938,104 (week 122 40,380 / Resident Evil 5 launch)
PS4 2,826,107 (week 122 18,997)

Famitsu: YTD
PS5 2023 744,592 (week 11 64,869)
PS2 2005 718,492 (week 11 36,284)

PS2 sold 2,076,699 in 2005

Amazon Japan
#1 PS5 (sold out)

#4 Resident Evil 4 (PS5)
#5 Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
#11 Hogwarts Legacy (PS5)
#13 PS5 Digital Edition (sold out)
#14 Resident Evil 4 Deluxe (PS5)
#17 PS Store Gift Card¥1,100
#21 FinaL Fantasy XVI (PS5)
#23 Death Stranding Director's Cut (PS5)
#31 DualSense Edge (sold out)
#35 Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut (PS5) (sold out)

#38 Resident Evil 4 Deluxe (PS4)
#39 DualShock4 Glacier White
#42 PS Store Gift Card ¥3,000
Stock issues again?

mckmas8808

Banned

Agreed. And that's 2.6 million units a year, which is good for full consoles in Japan. Anything over 3 million per year would be AMAZING!!!

Woopah

Honestly? Considering that PS systems have been on a downward spiral ever since the PS2, and that the PS5 has seemingly done nothing to stop that and that the software situation is horrenduos, it stands to reason that it will peform as well or worse than the PS4.

So I believe it should be around 20k.
It could be there at some points in the year, but I think it will be noticeably above that fir thx majority of the next 9 months. I reckon you're underestimating it.
Agreed. And that's 2.6 million units a year, which is good for full consoles in Japan. Anything over 3 million per year would be AMAZING!!!
Exactly, I think PS5 will do pretty well this year.

Nautilus

Banned
It could be there at some points in the year, but I think it will be noticeably above that fir thx majority of the next 9 months. I reckon you're underestimating it.

Exactly, I think PS5 will do pretty well this year.
Maybe. But the good thing about japanese sales is that we don't have to speculate, or hope the companies will be benevolent to show us their data. We get hard data every week, so either of us will be proven in due time.

Nautilus

Banned
Square being dumb as always with them not releasing the first one on PlayStation.
Square probably had a deal with Nintendo about not releasing the first OT anywhere for a year or two(Due to a marketing deal probably). OT sold more than 3.5 million units, so I hardly call that a bad decision.

nial

Gold Member
so I hardly call that a bad decision
I mean, in perspective with PS users, it was indeed a bad decision to release the sequel on PS4/PS5, but not the first one. It ended up releasing on Xbox, so it wasn't a permanent Switch console exclusive or anything.

John Wick

This.Why is it so hard to understand?
It's funny how you normalise your takes on Switch sales but your takes on PS5 are way out of sync?. There's nothing you state an idiot wouldn't know!
Everyone by now knows mobile and handheld are massive in Japan. Home console sales are declining. Also with Switch being less than half price of PS5. These things matter in Japan. There has always been a demand for PS5 in Japan but the shortages prevented Sony from ever meeting it. The shipment numbers should give you a clue on how short Sony were.

Tazzu

It's funny how you normalise your takes on Switch sales but your takes on PS5 are way out of sync?. There's nothing you state an idiot wouldn't know!
Everyone by now knows mobile and handheld are massive in Japan. Home console sales are declining. Also with Switch being less than half price of PS5. These things matter in Japan. There has always been a demand for PS5 in Japan but the shortages prevented Sony from ever meeting it. The shipment numbers should give you a clue on how short Sony were.
The experts on Japanese culture are getting quieter since you can only move the goal posts so much before you've left the damn stadium.

Another week showing around a 20% drop for PS5 showing it keeps shrinking once the stock hype settled l, and still no real software charting.

Next week it's going to shrink again, possibly fall below switch in units, there's nothing to sustain it's sales so it's going to keep shrinking as I said before, and as it's lead continues to decline in percentage rate it's eventually going to fall behind the PS4.

What are people going to buy a PS4 for in the future? Final Fantasy 16? 15 struggled to reach it's ltd over years and barely moved hardware beyond week 2 and that was a big drop from week 1. 16 is also attempting to move away from the jrpg label, which is a bad idea in Japan which isn't the west.

Software isn't there for the PS5, it's going to end up worse than the PS4 when people thought it would touch the Wii until the 2nd half of the gen when it flamed out.

Woopah

Another week showing around a 20% drop for PS5 showing it keeps shrinking once the stock hype settled l, and still no real software charting.

Next week it's going to shrink again, possibly fall below switch in units, there's nothing to sustain it's sales so it's going to keep shrinking as I said before, and as it's lead continues to decline in percentage rate it's eventually going to fall behind the PS4.

What are people going to buy a PS4 for in the future? Final Fantasy 16? 15 struggled to reach it's ltd over years and barely moved hardware beyond week 2 and that was a big drop from week 1. 16 is also attempting to move away from the jrpg label, which is a bad idea in Japan which isn't the west.

Software isn't there for the PS5, it's going to end up worse than the PS4 when people thought it would touch the Wii until the 2nd half of the gen when it flamed out.
The next game which could push PS5 hardware somewhat is RE4, and that comes out very soon.

jm89

Henry you panicking again, calm it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

What about resi 4 next week? Surely that will be huge in Japan?

Because scalpers buy them all and sell them to China, where they don't play games and use the PS5s for Bitcoin mining. They realised they weren't making any money in Japan because people don't know what a PS5 is.
Not sure if serious? Is this real or sarcasm?

Last edited:
The PS5 is tracking ahead the PS3 by about 200k launch aligned, but at the same time is shrinking, but shrinking is ascending , but in the new world ascending is going down.

It’s selling good even without too much software so with more of it, it will start to decrease, right?

And I’m Enrique from Spain by the way!!

The selling in China part has been a thing for awhile now.

Resident Evil 4 was the worst selling in the series in Japan of the original 6 games and Code Veronica. R4 Remake will have a short reach since there won't be much of a nostalgia factor involved.

Woopah

Still no top 30 annoyingly

The selling in China part has been a thing for awhile now.

Resident Evil 4 was the worst selling in the series in Japan of the original 6 games and Code Veronica. R4 Remake will have a short reach since there won't be much of a nostalgia factor involved.

The Resident Evil 2 remake sold 418,236 physically and the Resident Evil 2 remake sold 272,004 physically. I'd expect 4 to end up somewhere between those two numbers.

Kerotan

Loving the return to MediaBanter threads. The recent ps5 domination can be attributed to this. Looking forward to Thursday edition already.

Woopah

Loving the return to MediaBanter threads. The recent ps5 domination can be attributed to this. Looking forward to Thursday edition already.
We've still got to get the Top 30 for last week first!

Things to look out for this week are whether PS5 overtakes Switch for the year, and how Bayonetta Origins does.

TLZ

Banned
I'm being sarcastic, but a good number believe it's real.

I don't like to take away credit/positives from what these consoles are doing in Japan, especially traditional home consoles. It was being repeated they're dying/dead there. Even I thought so too with the measly numbers I saw. I'm very happy they're selling well. I don't want them to die there.

Last edited:
The Resident Evil 2 remake sold 418,236 physically and the Resident Evil 2 remake sold 272,004 physically.

Huh? I assume you meant RE3 remake.

I think you're being optimistic here. Especially given the console and the fact there's not much nostalgia for 4 in Japan.

Of the 7 big RE games, 4 sold the least NGC and PS2 combined.

Tams

Gold Member
The experts on Japanese culture are getting quieter since you can only move the goal posts so much before you've left the damn stadium.

I don't usually care to chime in on these 'discussions', but you aren't showing great logic either.

I can only offer anecdotal evidence as my uncle does not work at Nintendo or Sony. But PS5s were hard to come by for a good two years, so there definitely will have been pent up demand. And PS5s have become more readily available over the last few months (for whatever reasons). On top of that though, I can't say I've heard that much about the PS5. If a conversation about gaming comes up here, the Switch or smartphone games are almost always what it is about. People of course know about the PS5, but I don't think a huge number want one.

As to why? Perhaps the price is a bit too high for a lot of Japanese people? I do work with some people who are at the lower end of the economic scale here, and they can just about scrape up enough to get a Switch (or some Lites if it's for a family with several children), but that's about it.

And the Switch sales are declining almost certainly because nearing anyone and their dog who wants a Switch in Japan has one. I think the only market really left for it is the evergreen one of children becoming old enough for their parents to allow them to have a games console.

Woopah

Huh? I assume you meant RE3 remake.

I think you're being optimistic here. Especially given the console and the fact there's not much nostalgia for 4 in Japan.

Of the 7 big RE games, 4 sold the least NGC and PS2 combined.
Yes sorry I meant RE3. There may be less nostalgia for 4 than 3, but 4 looks like a higher quality game.
Why haven't we gotten top 30 yet?
No idea unfortunately, my guess is that the person who compiles the data is ill.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This just shows needs a a new console with 100% backwards compatibility to keep the software sales going and break the hardware saturation barrier.

Nautilus

Banned
This just shows needs a a new console with 100% backwards compatibility to keep the software sales going and break the hardware saturation barrier.
The Switch didn't have BC and is going to become the best selling console in Japan.

And for its 7th year on the market, the Switch is doing great.

Top Bottom