• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Xbox 360 rates Lost Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.

e-gamer

First Lost Odyssey review: Famitsu Xbox 360 9/8/8/8

Published: 1 hour ago | News | Xbox 360 Info Report

The special Xbox 360 version of the most popular games magazine in Japan has just hit store shelves and its always interesting to look at the review scores. In the latest issue, Xbox 360 cracker Lost Odyssey was reviewed for the first time, and rewarded with 9/8/8/8 which brings its total to 33/40 which equals 8.25/10. Other games that have been reviewed are Guilty Gear 2, Virtua Fighter 5, Kingdom Under Fire, Conan, Stuntman and Viva Pinata Party Animals.

Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Xbox 360, Konami): 9 / 9 / 8 / 8 - (34/40)
Guilty Gear 2 Overture (Xbox 360, Arc System Works): 6 / 7 / 5 / 7 - (25/40)
Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360, Microsoft): 9 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (33/40)
Virtua Fighter 5 (Xbox 360, Sega): 7 / 8 / 9 / 8 - (32/40)
Conan (Xbox 360, THQ): 6 / 5 / 5 / 6 - (22/40)
Momotarou Dentetsu 16 Gold (Xbox 360, Hudson): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
Atsumare! Viva Pinata - Let's Party (Xbox 360, Microsoft): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Stuntman Ignition (Xbox 360, THQ): 8 / 8 / 6 / 8 - (30/40)
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom (Xbox 360, Microsoft): 7 / 8 / 6 / 6 - (27/40)

http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-88336.aspx

Blue dragon gets 37/40 from the same magazine...

Lost Odissey < Blue Dragon ????

Belgorim

Does not fill me with confidence, but western reviews will be a lot more telling. (besides playing the game that is)

White Man

e-gamer said:
http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-88336.aspx

Blue dragon gets 37/40 from the same magazine...

Lost Odissey < Blue Dragon ????

It's very possible. Blue Dragon is a very very very good game. Easily one of the best of the year. I think you have to be an old school, SNES era RPG gamer to appreciate it, but it is one of the year's best. Unfortunately, it is also an example of shitty reviewers dumping on something for no real reason. Probably because they didn't have the patience or time to appreciate it on the terms it requires.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder why VF5 on the 360 scored lower than the PS3 version even with all of the added stuff.

e-gamer

McDragon said:
Guess it's too american.

Maybe.

In fact i didn't see anything about the game besides few pictures and 1 or 2 videos from TGS last year...

I don't know how the game looks like nowadays...

soco

i'm not entirely surprised from the bits of info i keep reading, it seems like it's being rushed out the door about 6 months too soon.

White Man said:
It's very possible. Blue Dragon is a very very very good game. Easily one of the best of the year. I think you have to be an old school, SNES era RPG gamer to appreciate it, but it is one of the year's best. Unfortunately, it is also an example of shitty reviewers dumping on something for no real reason. Probably because they didn't have the patience or time to appreciate it on the terms it requires.

I dunno, Im playing through FFV right now, and BD looked very corny to me, very generic shounen designs (toriyama is generic these days), and that goblin like character with the horns seemed really annoying...maybe the game was good, but it seemed very cliched to me, and Im not too fond of anime cliche....LO looked alot more interesting, I reckon it will do better with the western press

e-gamer

White Man said:

I'm old school gamer, i'm playing Blue Dragon and i really like it. But, we have to remember that Blue Dragon got 6 from Gamespot.

Perhaps Blue Dragon fells more japanese than Lost Odissey to famitsu. Lets wait and see the western scores...

tanod

when is my burrito
White Man said:

There are plenty of valid reasons to knock BD. A sub-par localization and terrible pacing for instance.

e-gamer

tanod said:
There are plenty of valid reasons to knock BD. A sub-par localization and terrible pacing for instance.

But there are plenty of valid reasons to don't! Graphics, history, good part of the gameplay...

Blua Dragon 2 will be interesting hehehehe

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Imm0rt4l said:
Too bad famitsu has zero credibility.......as far as I'm concerned anyways.

The thing is the reason why they have zero credibility is because they overrate games, especially if it comes to big games. So going by that, the outlook of LO doesn''t look to bright.

v1cious

Banned
papelnabangka said:
MS paid for the games, not Mistwalker.

that may be, but if they end up with a 100 million dollar flop on their hands, that's really bad news. Sagkaguchi's rep will take a huge hit, and no one will want to deal with them any more.

JoeMartin

Or everyone with sense will realize it's because MS is using him to try and break into the Japanese market, and the fact that the aforementioned market has absolutely no interest in the Xbox name is beyond his control.

Tom Penny

Lost Oddessey's combat looked like crap so that score is actually better than I thought. It must have a decent story apparently.

Narcosis

I'll await my own playtime with Lost Odyssey to determine for myself if it lives up to expectations or not, but the more I read these review discussions here, the more I am amazed that people view anything below a 9 as a "flop". For crying out loud the game recieved one 9 and three 8's, those are pretty good scores....

JoeMartin said:
Or everyone with sense will realize it's because MS is using him to try and break into the Japanese market, and the fact that the aforementioned market has absolutely no interest in the Xbox name is beyond his control.

What does that have to do with the quality of the game?

RamzaIsCool said:
The thing is the reason why they have zero credibility is because they overrate games FOR MONEY, especially if it comes to big games.

Pretty much. Lost O has nothing to worry about.

v1cious said:
that may be, but if they end up with a 100 million dollar flop on their hands, that's really bad news. Sagkaguchi's rep will take a huge hit, and no one will want to deal with them any more.

Do you have a source for Lost Odyssey's budget being in the $100 million range? I was under the impression that Feel Plus wasn't a super-elite, expensive team. And I thought the main reason people are excited about the game and comparing it to Final Fantasy is the involvement of of Sakaguchi, Inoue, Uematsu, and Shigematsu. In other words, the gameplay, art, music, and story. Is anyone really expecting LO to compete with FF on presentation and technical polish?

rpgfan16k

Lightning said:
LO has nothing to worry about because it will do Blue Dragon sales in Japan no matter what score Famitsu gives it.

Exactly. In fact, even with these disappointing scores, I'd be very surprised if it didn't do at least 100k first week.

Lightning said:
LO has nothing to worry about because it will do Blue Dragon sales in Japan no matter what score Famitsu gives it.

Correct. Even with 10/10/10/10 it would struggle to sell 100k+ in the first month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom