• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu's new MGSV Ground Zeroes interview with Kojima clears up some details

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201311/15043171.html

There's a fairly in-depth interview with Kojima on the announcement of Ground Zeroes as a stand alone release. A lot of the stuff are things we've heard before, but he does clear up a few points which I think will help fans keep their expectations in check for what Ground Zeroes will offer.

- Ground Zeroes is the prologue to Phantom Pain, and it is intended to be similar to the pre-title sequence of a Hollywood movie, where something major happens to catch the audience's attention, before the real story starts.

- The main content in Ground Zeroes is largely meant to be a tutorial for Phantom Pain. He uses the exact word - tutorial, so there's no doubt about this at all. The story content in Ground Zeroes is limited to the night setting in the rain, but you'll be able to see other times of the day via the side op missions. There is no dynamic weather or day/night cycle in Ground Zeroes.

- Phantom Pain is the game which will feature the full range of expanded features carried over from Peace Walker - base building, recruiting soldiers, etc. Most of this will not be in Ground Zeroes at all. You will not be able to use the fulton recovery system in Ground Zeroes either, but there are optional captives you can rescue using the helicopter.

- The save data in Ground Zeroes will carry over to Phantom Pain, and there will be benefits in the full game for extra stuff you decide to do in Ground Zeroes.

- The reason Ground Zeroes is being released as a separate package in the first place is because the main game is taking a long time to develop due to the large amount of content. So the marketing team at Konami worked out this release format with Kojima so gamers can at least experience the prologue segment of the game earlier.

- Kojima wants to reward fans who buy both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain later on with some sort of content in the full game, but he hasn't worked out the details with the marketing team yet.

- Ground Zeroes (and Phantom Pain by extension) will support a secondary display device via smartphones or tablets. It can be used to display stuff like leaderboards. There have also been feedback from people outside of Japan for a map display and so on, but Kojima has some concerns about players diverting their attention between two screens, so he's still looking into it.

There're probably other interesting things I missed out on. If anyone wants to do a full translation or post additional info or corrections, feel free. :)

duckroll

Grimløck;89942981 said:
Is GZ a full-priced game?

Outside of Japan it's 20 bucks for digital download on current gen, 30 bucks at retail, and 30 bucks on digital only for next-gen (no retail).

In Japan it's 30 bucks for retail on all platforms, and 25 bucks for digital download on all platforms.

boinx

- Phantom Pain is the game which will feature the full range of expanded features carried over from Peace Walker - base building, recruiting soldiers, etc.

5mPQjR9.gif

Not sure how much you can believe him. MGSV's development was taking too long, so he decided to throw fans a bone by making GZ?
Except GZ was revealed before PP and by the time it's released it will have been two years since it's reveal. Seems a very long gestation for something that's intended to be a bite size version of the main game that was taking too long to develop...

"Hey, this game is taking to long to make!...lets spend two years making a side game to apologize for that! That's a great way to use time and resources!"

I know Japanese devs are insane, but even that one is hard to swallow. The whole thing was planned from the very start, no doubt about it.

duckroll

Not sure how much you can believe him. MGSV's development was taking too long, so he decided to throw fans a bone by making GZ?

No. GZ is part of MGSV. The main game is just taking too long, so to throw fans a bone they're stripping out the prologue chapter and selling it.

This is like the tanker in Mgs2...for 20 bucks. :(

Well, on the bright side, it'll still be 30 bucks cheaper than what most people paid for the tanker right? :)

Ground Zeroes better be amazing because it could put a lot of people off buying the main game if it sucks.

I am looking forward to seeing what the link will be between the two that Kojima wants. Maybe some type of exclusive DLC for owners of both games.

BBboy20

...so much effort for an irreverent plot.

I know he mentioned we would only play as Boss but I'd like to think they'll reconsider since we can recruit soldiers. Though, I do hope the survival system from 3 also returns because now he has the opportunity make that game fully realized.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
In Japan it's 30 bucks for retail on all platforms, and 25 bucks for digital download on all platforms.
( ´_⊃`)

This is like the tanker in Mgs2...for 20 bucks. :(
So is really a glorified demo or Tanker mission 2.0 . Is pretty dissapointing for that price.

You don't know how long it is. Tanker also didn't have side missions. Would be cool if there was some limited MGO but that's a bad idea I guess.

I wonder if there will be a TPP release that includes GZ.

No. GZ is part of MGSV. The main game is just taking too long, so to throw fans a bone they're stripping out the prologue chapter and selling it.

Like I said, I don't buy it. Ground Zeroes was revealed, then nearly a year later Phantom Pain was revealed and then like 4 months later the two were confirmed to be part of the same story arc.
No way they stripped GZ from the full game. The marketing for the last two years goes against that 100%. It was planned from the very start as something to be sold separately.

Sandfox

Can you really call it throwing us a bone when it just makes them additional money off a single chapter of the game?

Xater

Well, on the bright side, it'll still be 30 bucks cheaper than what most people paid for the tanker right? :)

Except you got ZOE with it which was awesome.

Overall this new information is not changing my feeling of this being a rip off.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Are you saying people bought ZoE to play a demo of MGS2?!

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So is the whole content of GZ basically playing around the prison camp setting in different types of missions?

Hm, kinda dissapointed in that regard. Aside from the main rescue mission, I expected a few more settings for side ops...

Weird - have to be a game time decision based on game length. $30 for a tutorial seems a little silly.

Also probably wise to wait for the inevitable "full" compilation. Ie. the real game.

So we get as far as the accident that sticks the shrapnel in his head and then the phantom pain starts in the hospital?

Thats a lot of money for a prologue

Nibel

You know, I have nothing against the idea of playing a prologue long before the main game hits store shelves; quite the opposite actually, it be cool to learn the ruleset of the new gameplay mechanics

But 30 bucks for a next-gen version? That's just a asshole price to make, sorry Konami

If you don't bother with this and just buy the main game, will this mission be included in that?

Is the main game also confirmed to be current gen, or is there a chance it'll be a 2015 next gen-only release?

synce

Despite it being overpriced I'm sure it will sell millions. It will be interesting to see how much the complete experience costs once you factor in all the DLC they have planned

Alienous

Konami's Kojima said:
The main content in Ground Zeroes is largely meant to be a tutorial for Phantom Pain.

You know you fucked up, right?

The reason Ground Zeroes is being released as a separate package in the first place is because the main game is taking a long time to develop due to the large amount of content. So the marketing team at Konami worked out this release format with Kojima so gamers can at least experience the prologue segment of the game earlier.

Called it. If Ground Zeroes fails, Kojima will be pressured to release The Phantom Pain sooner.

watershed

Banned
I hope this kind of monetizing doesn't become a trend with next gen. MGSV just became a 90 dollar game. Next gen games are still 60 bucks a pop right?

Eusis

Well, I guess in a sense, with ZoE you got 2 demos for the price of a full game! A MGS2 demo, and a ZoE2 demo. *cough*
Calling that a ZoE2 demo's being awfully charitable after playing both side by side in the collection. Even before the patch it was clear ZoE2 outclassed ZoE1 fully.

I hope this kind of monetizing doesn't become a trend with next gen. MGSV just became a 90 dollar game. Next gen games are still 60 bucks a pop right?

if Ground Zeroes is included in MGS5 then you really don't need to buy GZ earlier, basically it's just like Gran Turismo Prologue, only this time, if you bought GZ earlier, you'll also get extra content for the full MGS5 release as well

watershed

Banned
if Ground Zeroes is included in MGS5 then you really don't need to buy GZ earlier, basically it's just like Gran Turismo Prologue, only this time, if you bought GZ earlier, you'll also get extra content for the full MGS5 release as well

Yes, if Ground Zeroes is included in Phantom Pain then I don't mind them putting it out there early for those who really, really need to play a new MGS game. Also if buying Ground Zeroes gets you a discount towards MGS5 then I've got nothing to complain about. Otherwise, it seems like a rip off, even if it unlocks some kind of hidden content in the final game.

Sandfox

Yes, if Ground Zeroes is included in Phantom Pain then I don't mind them putting it out there early for those who really, really need to play a new MGS game. Also if buying Ground Zeroes gets you a discount towards MGS5 then I've got nothing to complain about. Otherwise, it seems like a rip off, even if it unlocks some kind of hidden content in the final game.

I don't see that happening.

Alienous

I'm sort of glad that Ground Zeroes isn't the Tanker chapter of The Phantom Pain.

The set-up of The Phantom Pain,
waking up, not knowing where you are, not knowing what's happening, learning how to crawl, crouch, walk and sneak. You are in exactly the same position as Snake
, serves as an almost narratively perfect tutorial. It should be the first thing you play.

Tabris

Honestly, if it wasn't for the MGS2 demo, I wouldn't have played ZOE and if it wasn't for ZOE, I wouldn't have played ZOE2 which is one of the best PS2 games.

AHA-Lambda

Nah, this doesn't sound worth £20 - £30.

I think I may wait til PP comes out and pick up GZ alongside it, that is if GZ isn't bundled with it by that point.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Grimløck;89942981 said:
Is GZ a full-priced game?

Nope, it's "just" 20 or 30 bucks depending on the platform, but man...I'll never pay 90 bucks (this plus Phantom Pain) for a...single game.
Because it's shaping like that: this is the tutorial mission of Phantom Pain.

Ground Zeroes better be amazing because it could put a lot of people off buying the main game if it sucks.

I am looking forward to seeing what the link will be between the two that Kojima wants. Maybe some type of exclusive DLC for owners of both games.

This is it, this is the main challenge here. They better be prepared for a shit storm because the press will absolutely love to tear into a Metal Gear game due to the large audience / hits that would bring.

Also, it goes to reason that Kojima would listen to any negative feedback from GZ's release, which might make him delay the Phantom Pain even further to work out those kinks.

Konami and KojiPro have an Everest to climb here.

SJRB

Gold Member
- The main content in Ground Zeroes is largely meant to be a tutorial for Phantom Pain. He uses the exact word - tutorial, so there's no doubt about this at all. The story content in Ground Zeroes is limited to the night setting in the rain, but you'll be able to see other times of the day via the side op missions. There is no dynamic weather or day/night cycle in Ground Zeroes.

- Phantom Pain is the game which will feature the full range of expanded features carried over from Peace Walker - base building, recruiting soldiers, etc. Most of this will not be in Ground Zeroes at all. You will not be able to use the fulton recovery system in Ground Zeroes either, but there are optional captives you can rescue using the helicopter.

- The reason Ground Zeroes is being released as a separate package in the first place is because the main game is taking a long time to develop due to the large amount of content. So the marketing team at Konami worked out this release format with Kojima so gamers can at least experience the prologue segment of the game earlier.

This is fucking bullshit. 30 euro-for-a-tutorial bullshit. He's forced to release this because Phantom Pain takes an absurd amount of time and resources, and Konami wants to see some cash flow.

Ratrat

This is fucking bullshit. 30 euro-for-a-tutorial bullshit. He's forced to release this because Phantom Pain takes an absurd amount of time and resources, and Konami wants to see some cash flow.
This would probably have been cheaper if it was download only(their original plan). Perhaps they couldn't justify a disc release for $10-$15 game so they hiked it up.

Gartooth

I remain undecided on this, I have no clue if MGSV is coming out late 2014 or early 2015 and would honestly rather play GZ with PP instead of separated by a large gap of time. This definitely sounds like it was planned to be included in MGSV, but Konami marketing told Kojima to rip it out of the game to get cash from the diehard fans.

Almost considering just waiting it out. I'm guessing that if GZ doesn't sell well then they will just man up and pack it in with MGSV, at least that is what I hope they would do.

Top Bottom