• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu's original cross-review of Final Fantasy IV found. Translation help

Square2015

Thought I would share this with you guys, it's from a recent issue Cheesemeister and I came across. And thanks to him for scanning this HQ shot.

Score: 36/40
Issue 137
vOaCEj8.jpg
*Click to enlarge

Translations so far:
Super Famicom back-up cartridge.
Square. 8800 yen.
---
The fourth in the series. While the story is unrelated to the previous entry, similar things such as chocobos and airships appear. Your adventure unfolds with up to 5 people in your party.
---
A movie-like RPG that prioritizes a serious story over player freedom. The main quest is longer than the other games in the series, and the graphics and presentation are substatially improved. The semi-real time battles are especially good. Thanks to the time restriction, battles are much more exciting than before.
---
The story is a completely straight path. That said, the degree of perfection is the best in the series. Rather than an RPG, it might be better to call this a movie with an unfolding story that can be controlled. I was very pleased that the final dungeon was clearable!
---
The BGM is just like a movie! Thanks to the game's dramatic production, I teared up. I was amazed that a character looking down and waving their hand could be so likeable.[I don't quite get this sentence, maybe they're specifically refering to something in the game?] I can certainly see why they call it "super". I'm spent. Hats off.
---
The special effects in this game hurt my eyes. While the movie-like BGM was cool, there were also times where I found it obnoxious. The active battle system is interesting, but very difficult until you get used to it. I feel like it's crammed full of too many new things.
-thanks to dadjumper

1st
A RPG that has a movie like feel and focuses more on story than freedom. The core of the game borrows a lot from previous games in the series but the graphics, presentation, etc have all seen major upgrades. The semi real-time battle system is particularly good. The game has an element of excitement previous entries lacked due to the time constraints it imposes on you.
-Thank you mujun

9 An RPG more cinematic than non-linear and focused on story. It remains basically an extension of the series, but the graphics and presentation are greatly improved. Especially the semi-realtime battle system is great. Maybe because of time limit, but it can get tense.
9 The game scenario is completely linear. However, the production value is definitely the best in series. More than an RPG, it feels like entering into movie with story sequences. It's nice that the looming final dungeon is feasibly clearable.
10 The soundtrack (BGM) is completely like a movie. With such dramatic acting, the game will make your tear ducts swell up. For characters fallen and swinging to be this beloved. Feel like I've been shown the real meaning of "Super" with this, and floored. Hats off to them.
8 The special FX used all over made my eyes tired. The sound, nearly like a movie soundtrack, is cool but sometimes feels noisy. Active Battle is interesting, but takes a while to get used to. It feels like they are pushing too many new things in at once.
-thanks Gaspode_T

Addendum
Also found this:
Final Fantasy 1 (plus Mega Man 1, Tokimeki Highschool, and Metal Gear)

Translations:
Final Fantasy:

Mega Man:
5: An action-scidescroller like we had them often in the past. But isn't it a little too hard? You can start with any of the 6 stages, but I couldn't reach any of the bosses no matter where I started. Uhm, I guess it's a balancing-problem.

7: It feels a bit malicious, but somehow this action-game gets me fired up. Once there were so many of these games, but in recent times they've been rather scarce. Even the characters, even though they are original, are quite good (excuse my rudeness). Well, it's quite welcome.

7: A really totally very hard game. You have to take a really close look at the movements of the enemies while calculating your next 2-3 steps, otherwise you will fail. If you miss the timing just a little bit it's already over. You have to use your skills of course, but also your head quite a bit. Although I love the animation when Rockman gets hit.

5: A rather rare type of game these days. You can start this game from any stage, but there are some stages that if you don't clear them in a specific order you won't be able to advance. I won't hint any further than this. The characters are cute, but typical of Capcom it's super-hard.
- gives thanks to Garou

mujun

1st
An RPG that has a movie like feel and focuses more on story than freedom. The core of the game borrows a lot from previous games in the series but the graphics, presentation, etc have all seen major upgrades. The semi real-time battle system is particularly good. The game has an element of excitement previous entries lacked due to the time constraints it imposes on you.

2nd
The story sticks to a straight path that limits freedom, however the game makes up for this by being the the most polished game in the series to date. This game is less and RPG and more a movie that the player is able to interact with. Finally, it's great that the formerly unresolved problem (??) of the final dungeon not being able to be completed has been rectified.

3rd
The game's music is indistinguishable from that of a movie. The dramatic score made me tear up at times. The way characters look when sleeping (?) or waving their hands for example is simply adorable. The game won me over with how amazing it is. Hats off to the team who made this game.

rickz0rz

Neo Member
36/40

*Click to enlarge

Thought I would share this with you guys, it's from a recent issue Cheesemeister and I came across. And thanks to him for scanning this HQ shot.

Can someone translate the blurbs?

From el Google Translate:

9:
A movie type RPG that emphasizes the story rather than degrees of freedom, the basic line is an extension of the previous series, but if the graphic sharpness etc. are greatly strengthened, semi real time battle is good. Due to time restrictions, I get more excited than ever.

9:
Although the scenario is a complete one way, the perfection degree is the highest in the series, rather than the RPG, it seems that movies that can intervene in the story development are rather close. It is nice that the last dungeon of the pending issue became clear - fubble.

10:
It's like a movie BGM. In a dramatic production, I was overwhelmed by many times my eyes got hot and my character waving my hands was such a loving thing, but even this is still a supermarket and I'm totally missed.

8:
Everything was full of special effects, my eyes got tired. Movie music flash BGM is also cool but sometimes it sounds loud. The active battle is interesting, but I still have difficulties in terms of operation until I get used to it. I feel like I'm too busy with new things.

Gotta love machine translation.

Gaspode_T

Uh, the fourth one is basically a troll or classic "see the other side grumpy reviewer"

Quick and dirty but #dealwithit

9 An RPG more cinematic than non-linear and focused on story. It remains basically an extension of the series, but the graphics and presentation are greatly improved. Especially the semi-realtime battle system is great. Maybe because of time limit, but it can get tense.
9 The game scenario is completely linear. However, the production value is definitely the best in series. More than an RPG, it feels like entering into movie with story sequences. It's nice that the looming final dungeon is feasibly clearable.
10 The soundtrack (BGM) is completely like a movie. With such dramatic acting, the game will make your tear ducts swell up. For characters fallen and swinging to be this beloved. Feel like I've been shown the real meaning of "Super" with this, and floored. Hats off to them.
8 The special FX used all over made my eyes tired. The sound, nearly like a movie soundtrack, is cool but sometimes feels noisy. Active Battle is interesting, but takes a while to get used to. It feels like they are pushing too many new things in at once.

Reviewer 4 has no chill but he ain't wrong about Die Hard. Pretty sure that's widely considered among the worst 10 games ever made for the NES.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I know FF2 was story-oriented and had cinematic aspects, but I consider FF4 the beginning of the linear FF that we knew and loved for so many years (until it maybe got too linear with a certain entry *cough*).

dadjumper

Here's my rough translation.

Super Famicom back-up cartridge.
Square. 8800 yen.
---
The fourth in the series. While the story is unrelated to the previous entry, similar things such as chocobos and airships appear. Your adventure unfolds with up to 5 people in your party.
---
A movie-like RPG that prioritizes a serious story over player freedom. The main quest is longer than the other games in the series, and the graphics and presentation are substatially improved. The semi-real time battles are especially good. Thanks to the time restriction, battles are much more exciting than before.
---
The story is a completely straight path. That said, the degree of perfection is the best in the series. Rather than an RPG, it might be better to call this a movie with an unfolding story that can be controlled. I was very pleased that the final dungeon was clearable!
---
The BGM is just like a movie! Thanks to the game's dramatic production, I teared up. I was amazed that a character looking down and waving their hand could be so likeable.[I don't quite get this sentence, maybe they're specifically refering to something in the game?] I can certainly see why they call it "super". I'm spent. Hats off.
---
The special effects in this game hurt my eyes. While the movie-like BGM was cool, there were also times where I found it obnoxious. The active battle system is interesting, but very difficult until you get used to it. I feel like it's crammed full of too many new things.

edit: dang yall are fast. Oh well, translation is fun. I learned a couple new phrases from this :)
Would like to have a crack at that FF1 one but might need a higher res image. Interesting that it's got furigana, though!

So interesting to see people talking about a Super Nintendo game as being "just like a movie." The effort to make games more cinematic seems to go back really far. Critics of this intention seem to always cite it as a new thing that doesn't effect old games, but clearly expectations have just changed.

I don't really have a point to make, I just thought that part was cool.

Garou

Anyone translate the Mega Man/Rockman review? I can't believe how low the score is.

5: An action-scidescroller like we had them often in the past. But isn't it a little too hard? You can start with any of the 6 stages, but I couldn't reach any of the bosses no matter where I started. Uhm, I guess it's a balancing-problem.

7: It feels a bit malicious, but somehow this action-game gets me fired up. Once there were so many of these games, but in recent times they've been rather scarce. Even the characters, even though they are original, are quite good (excuse my rudeness). Well, it's quite welcome.

7: A really totally very hard game. You have to take a really close look at the movements of the enemies while calculating your next 2-3 steps, otherwise you will fail. If you miss the timing just a little bit it's already over. You have to use your skills of course, but also your head quite a bit. Although I love the animation when Rockman gets hit.

5: A rather rare type of game these days. You can start this game from any stage, but there are some stages that if you don't clear them in a specific order you won't be able to advance. I won't hint any further than this. The characters are cute, but typical of Capcom it's super-hard.

Translation by me.

AmyS

Electronic Gaming Monthly reviews of Final Fantasy IV and VI.

EGM #29 - December 1991

8JImLJZ.jpg

EGM #63 - October 1994

bjCQCQW.jpg

Man I love looking at prerelease screenshots.

Final Fantasy IV: I don't remember fighting those enemies in a regular cave.

Final Fantasy VI: Do you fight guards in the desert setting?? Mog seems like he doesn't have a magic or dance in the slot (probably to avoid spoiler?)

Man I love looking at prerelease screenshots.

Final Fantasy IV: I don't remember fighting those enemies in a regular cave.

Check out the party.
Dark Knight Cecil, Young Rydia, Rose, Yang, and... Kain. Kain and Rydia aren't in the party together until the Dwarven Castle, and she's an adult at that point.

The only way this party configuration would make sense is if Kain was replaced by Edward, and everyone was heading to Fabul Castle. Even then, it wouldn't explain the cave or the enemies the group is facing.

Top Bottom