• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Why are forum users allowed to be used as sources all the time now?

I am just asking questions. Not that it's not possibly but come on these threads turn into fud campaigns for n4g all the time. Just seems kinda messed up.

Read this post again and ask yourself why would a forum poster be a source.

We were also told not to believe "stuff online " when rumour of the launch countries being cut to 13 was floating around.

So much for that, huh?

I did not, in any instance, see Phil Spencer, Aaron Greenburg, Major Nelson, Albert Penelo (sorry Albert, that last name is so hard to remember :p) even mention it being false. In fact they plain and simply ignored discussing it until the reveal of the system, when they discussed it freely knowing the consequences. In fact, before the reveal we saw Microsoft employees like Adam "Deal With It" Orth pretty much defending the DRM we still were not sure of being true or false. Show me tweets if I'm wrong, from the employees I just named, and I will gladly admit my mistakes and apologize for being wrong.

I'm trying my hardest to believe my $500 investment on November 22nd isn't a mistake. :p I just find it hard to believe Microsoft will fuck up their OS so badly that it crashes and has mainstream issues. It being fucked up right now? Yeah I believe it and it's expected since everything we've been shown has been running unfinished software. Microsoft still has about 3 weeks to fix issues, there's a good chance it'll be fixed.

It's just trying to stay optimistic really. I don't doubt CBOAT, Mortimer, etc, I just believe their information may be a little outdated and exaggerating the issues Microsoft has been having. I haven't seen any real signs of them having issues with the OS of the Xbox One. Yes, there have been some crashes here and there on unfinished builds of the OS and game software, but seriously, that's expected. Hell some leaks like the kid who got the Xbox One at his house showed the Dashboard working just fine and dandy.

1. You can always return it, no big deal.

2. I recommend being realistic with big purchases over being optimistic about them.

3. All the sources were saying there was a good chance that it would take MUCH longer than 3 weeks to fix. It's cool to hope. I hope they're fixed to, but when you say there's a "good" chance, what are you basing it off of? Hope? Because the sources are saying the opposite.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Lol you guys crack me up. I swear some of you could be told he console won't play games at all at launch and you would be like meh, no biggie.

It's crazy

'I don't mind paying more for a less powerful machine'
'I don't mind paying for Kinect, even if I don't want to use it'
'720p? Who cares you can't tell the difference anyway'
'If the online is screwed up, It's no big deal really'

TheCloser

Banned
Well, as many people said mort and thuway are not "insiders" they just "know people" (at least that what I gathered, excuse me if I am wrong), they do not have direct access, so it can be inaccurate and there is no way to verify it unless people like CBOAT confirm it. And Matt left only 2 posts here, both messages are very vague and can be used either way:

I am not saying that mort or thuway are wrong, I am just saying that people shouldn't put lot of faith in their accuracy. And I believe that XBL/Xbox OS have lot of issues since they were planning to launch in 2014, but the hype leading to this thread wasn't justified, and mort was the one hyping this up beyond any reason.
Fair game except in this situation, mort posted a snippet of a conversation he had with one of the devs. If you look at Matt post in ccontext, it verifies that the thread is not unfounded. Matt's post serves to verify that there is an element of truth here. That confirms that there is a problem. How big? Dunno.

Imagine the storm. The day Xbox games are lifted for reviews, this forum is going under. It's about to get ugly. I appreciate all the info, Mort. Keep the thick skin.

tumblr_mmvl77Vhff1rys8k8o1_500.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xbox One NEWS (Keep Scrolling for PS4 News)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proelite from the thread that originally broke that COD on XB1 was 720p - Believe 3rd party dev but know is a insider

Given the choice between

720p COD

and

Xbox One OS that crashes / hangs once per user session. Flaky ass multi-player.

I think 720p COD is the lesser of the two evils.

I am saying 720p would be a mere annoyance compared to frequent crashes and broken Live matchmaking.

Here he states it's possible MS might wrinkle out the problems for launch

There could be a ton of bugs in the OS and in the multi-player framework that causes a really bad user experience all around. They have one month remaining so we'll see.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt weighing in on it - Third Party Dev with very high credibility

This thread is fascinating.

I noticed you didn't say "unfounded"
Hmm, no I didn't, did I?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thuway weighing in on it - insider mostly with Sony leaks

If I can add this little tidbit-

Smartglass is broken beyond belief.

People might not care about Smart Glass, but it was a largely publicized feature taking up a good chunk of the press conference. I am working on getting other sources for a few other things, but Famous has told you folks the brunt of what needed to be said.

Last night I heard some awful things about Xbox One, but I kind of wrote it off as hyperbole from one crazy kook, but Famous must be confident with a variety of sources because he's taken the ball, and knocked it out the park.

The best thing to come out of this entire situation, is Dent's twitter meltdown.

With that said, Sony has there own challenges, and journo's are pissed off over a cavalcade of things. There is much skepticism as to if PSN will actually work on day 1.

With all that said, folks this is launch day. Things will improve over time, and not everything will work optimally on day 1. Look at the Wii U, look at the PS3/360, and to some extent look at the Vita. The programmers are burning the midnight oil and working tooth and nail to deliver something come launch.

Sony has their own challenges and have been very coy about handing out machines with working online. Journalists are highly skeptical if PSN will work on Day 1 on PS4 since it has yet to go live.

I know it's cool to throw MS into the furnace, but Sony has their fair share of issues as well. They are just not as transparent at the moment.

That said, the fucking complexity of running THREE OPERATING SYSTEMS, snapping, and silly concurrency of apps is causing a short term nightmare.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liquidmetal14 - has insider friends from what I can tell

Since it's a little out there now, it's pretty bad situation.

There are other things but this covers a good chunk of some of the BS happening behind the scenes.

It's what it is but he posts a good amount.

I don't think dedicated servers for any games will fix this issue right now.

Prior to a big 1.4GB update, functionally a mess. Probably still is but I haven't had that much clarity after that.

Plenty more as well http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=8102869

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verendus letting us know this is PROBABLY not the ass storm hinted by cboat and bishs exchange

I'm just waiting for that other big rumour to float out now.

Surely, the time is coming. Escalation. It has to happen. Once it goes from PM to vague hints on the forum, that means someone is going to do an inevitable leak at some stage. I still foresee more negative Xbox One news and exploding threads on GAF. After that CBOAT and Bish exchange, I'm sure all 30,000 viewers are just dying of anticipation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phil Spencer [Corporate Vice President, Microsoft Game Studios] was questioned on twitter why the XB1 UI has yet to be shown

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87787834#post87787834

His response

Phil Spencer said:
Games are in certification now and we are playing SP & MP nightly. Anyone can post "stuff" to the web.

Phil Spencer said:
There are a tone of videos of games running. The Ryse vidoc from last week... We have SUVs driving around with playables etc.

But no real mention of the OS really

There's likely a couple juicy ones I missed and of course you should read FamousMortimers own posts on it http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=8102935

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh also my little contribution to the knowledge on here (I just uploaded the pic of the tweet lol)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert Florence [A rather well respected on gaf] gaming journo weighs in a bit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Gerstmann: Works at giantbomb, all levels of awesome

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/

Anonymous asked:This is still "breaking news", but do you want to comment if you've heard that xbox live and the OS on the Xbox One are a complete mess? As in fucking broken?

Jeff said:
You may have noticed that they haven’t exactly been out there showing it off in live environments.

However follows up with

Anonymous asked:You are now, accidentally, the person who has confirmed the Xbox OS rumors. How does that feel, Jeff?

Jeff said:
Hah. Anyone taking that as confirmation of anything other than my feeling that no one is out there showing very much (if any) real, unedited footage of the Xbox One dashboard is reaching, big time. If people needed me to point that out to them, then they must not be paying very much attention.

It’s like watching people who don’t understand how numbers work trying to complete a connect the dots book. Everything’s connected!

Also

Anonymous asked:I'm not sure Sony has been particularly forthcoming with unedited footage of their OS, either. They've both been pretty cagey in that regard.

Jeff said:
Anyway, yeah, they’ve both been a little cagey, I guess. But I feel like I know way more about how the PS4 front-end will look and work, while all the Xbox One dashboard and multitasking footage looks… fake?

I suspect the talk of them having trouble will end up being at least partially true. I’d call it a “gut feeling” but that’s probably just that habanero I ate yesterday causing issues.

Lastly on resolution differences etc.

Anonymous asked:Here's something that bothered me about "ResolutionGate". Why is it so many in the games press think it's their job is to minimize platform differences and act like they don't matter? Shouldn't a journalist's duty be to the audience, informing them in cases where they are paying more for an inferior experience? I get that the most important thing is how a game plays, but if I can save $100, play the same great game and have it look twice as good that is really pertinent information, no?

Absolutely! If one console runs a game that looks “twice as good” as the other version, you will most certainly hear about that.

Don’t hold your breath.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS4 NEWS

Not everything is rosy on Sony's side too.

Just saying...

2014 probably would have worked out better for both companies.

The negativity for PS4 has to do with journalists blindly being told to believe the OS will work 100% on launch, PSN will work optimally, and things will go smooth as butter without any machine before hand to test out. Still, MS has a huge headache ahead of them with all the crashes, bugs, and broken features.

Sony has their own challenges and have been very coy about handing out machines with working online. Journalists are highly skeptical if PSN will work on Day 1 on PS4 since it has yet to go live.

I know it's cool to throw MS into the furnace, but Sony has their fair share of issues as well. They are just not as transparent at the moment.

I wouldn't panic because there's nothing to panic over right now on PS4 side.

There is a plan in place and I don't know any kind of deadlines but the PSN going up for PS4 is part of that plan but some might see it as Sony being behind.

The PS4 and Xbone aren't out yet. Things like this are being worked on.

There is some issues on Sony's side but not like MSFT.

The issues I have heard about are based on connection which is due to go up next week.

If things go as they should it should be fine since we're fast approaching Sony getting their network on for PS4.

If I can get confirmation I will but it depends on availability.

Jeff Gerstmann: Works at giantbomb, all levels of awesome

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/

Anonymous asked:I'm not sure Sony has been particularly forthcoming with unedited footage of their OS, either. They've both been pretty cagey in that regard.

Jeff Gerstmann: Didn’t some French site post a ton of raw, off-screen footage of themselves fucking around with a PS4? Could’ve sworn I saw that awhile ago.

Anyway, yeah, they’ve both been a little cagey, I guess. But I feel like I know way more about how the PS4 front-end will look and work, while all the Xbox One dashboard and multitasking footage looks… fake?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verendus weighs in on potential of PS4 launch issues

PS4 has teething problems like most big device launches. Nothing for you to concern yourself over. I'm sure it won't be all perfect right from launch as they'll have to get stuff in order but you won't have any major hiccups. I have this little black box sitting across the room from me. It's telling me to listen to my what my heart is telling me so I am telling you what my heart is saying right now.

Further comments by Verendus

No, I'm pretty sure a Holiday launch is fine for the PS4. Nothing out of the ordinary with its path.

There are no big issues. Just minor crap that is part of the game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also in case this is quoted I'll post a link here to follow and read all the quotes - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87786946&postcount=2018

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All right this be OFF TOPIC TIDBITS

Verendus about upcoming PS things/Projects

Aw, here is some.

Nothing major though.

1. Dragon Quest will return to Playstation. This doesn't mean it's exclusive. Discussions at the moment.

2. Capcom has the next Street Fighter already in the works (don't know exact stage so kind of pointless really), even though Ono said a few months ago about the resources not being allocated or whatever. They're doing something though so not sure how that fits in what he said.

3. Someone should go prod the Tales head about PS4 Tales. They have one in concept. So, I expect next Tales after the next PS3 Tales? Safe bet. I don't think this that big news though. Although good if you're hoping for JRPGs to arrive a little earlier this time.

See? I can be nice even though I like to mess around with you the majority of the time.

Verendus on PS4's DRM stance [Never was an option]

Do you understand the full implications of trying to implement a similar DRM system to Microsoft? Especially in regards to some of the markets where SCE operates and gets a substantial amount of marketshare? And I could go on and on and sound even more condescending.

The fact that people still say this when the head of SCE has basically said it was never even an option just amazes me. Not to mention, how idiotic someone has to be to believe that SCE were still not decided as late as February as to what to do with DRM, neglecting how much of a ball ache it would be to try and implement something like that as a last minute thing.

You're free to believe though.

Wow if MS cant get an OS working. Seems far fetched to me that they are having issues. This is the one thing I would expect them to be good at.

I think the problem they are attempting to hook three different OS's together.

Plus, people haven't been fans of at least some of their OS's, soo......

1. You can always return it, no big deal.

2. I recommend being realistic with big purchases over being optimistic about them.

3. All the sources were saying there was a good chance that it would take MUCH longer than 3 weeks to fix. It's cool to hope. I hope they're fixed to, but when you say there's a "good" chance, what are you basing it off of? Hope? Because the sources are saying the opposite.

1. Isn't Gamestop's return policy for opened new products that you can only return it if it isn't open? Not really an option if I decide to play my Xbox One for a few days, and it's as bad as it seemed and decide I'd rather own it at a later date.

2. I would agree with you. I'm honestly on the verge of just canceling the Xbox One, only getting the PS4 in November and holding off on the Xbox One until I see that it's fine and dandy.

3. Yeah, mostly hope. I'm not sure how good and stable the Dashboard OS is right now, hell it might still be a bloody mess, and 3 weeks of work might not help. Thankfully we do still have 3 weeks for confirmation to be made, and that's enough time to wait and watch on the system before deciding to purchase now or later.

Barakov

Gold Member
It's absolutely crazy that microsoft could screw up this much on the software side. Then again, stranger things have happened.

I did not, in any instance, see Phil Spencer, Aaron Greenburg, Major Nelson, Albert Penelo (sorry Albert, that last name is so hard to remember :p) even mention it being false. In fact they plain and simply ignored discussing it until the reveal of the system, when they discussed it freely knowing the consequences. In fact, before the reveal we saw Microsoft employees like Adam "Deal With It" Orth pretty much defending the DRM we still were not sure of being true or false. Show me tweets if I'm wrong, from the employees I just named, and I will gladly admit my mistakes and apologize for being wrong.

You're right, that was my mistake.

Greenberg disputed a rumour that the launch itself was entirely delayed to 2014, he kept mum on the 13 countries rumour.

Verendus

Banned
I can only imagine you looking at all of this with DemonNite with a look of puzzlement.
Pity is the word I'd use if anything.

I've learnt through this thread that famousmortimer is the same person who started the NoDRM campaign with GAF, but since then apparently he's been too occupied with internet 'cred' and comparing himself to other insiders, and is likely still emotionally unstable from the events that befell him a while back (thank you not so anonymous PM). Reading his posts in this thread, and also the little essay via PM (thank you anonymous) about him, then seeing folks throw personal insults at someone who probably should have stepped away from his keyboard a while back, all the while this cycle of leaking and feeding off the leaks continues, is kind of sad.

Stepping away from my joke character for just a brief moment, pity is the word I'd use to describe this entire situation.

Skeff

You should have paid attention to greenbergs twitter account:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/dont_believe_xbox_one_delay_reports_says_microsoft.html

It was literally 2 hours before the press release.

Enectic

Banned
Fair game except in this situation, mort posted a snippet of a conversation he had with one of the devs. If you look at Matt post in ccontext, it verifies that the thread is not unfounded.

True, but once again none of these are verifiable. We have no information about the devs and can only go by whatever information Famous feeds us. Additionally Matt's post can be interpreted several different ways. Even if he was hinting that this holds some truth there's no way to tell if he's saying everything is true or only some of it unless he gives us a definitive answer. There's just too little information to call this true or false. Unfortunately this is a problem with most "insider" information.

Yasir

Mort is truly a king. A sorta dark knight to cboats joker.

Famousmortimer made this year amazing.

Live long sir, live long.

Thanks for the recap.

Imagine the storm. The day Xbox games are lifted for reviews, this forum is going under. It's about to get ugly. I appreciate all the info, Mort. Keep the thick skin.

Well said. Keep up the thick skin Mortimer, you've been great.

Beta tested in the future seems like the perfect warning slogan, I still can't believe that is being used as one of the official ones.

Ashes

Banned
Well, as many people said mort and thuway are not "insiders" they just "know people" (at least that what I gathered, excuse me if I am wrong), they do not have direct access, so it can be inaccurate and there is no way to verify it unless people like CBOAT confirm it. And Matt left only 2 posts here, both messages are very vague and can be used either way:

I am not saying that mort or thuway are wrong, I am just saying that people shouldn't put lot of faith in their accuracy. And I believe that XBL/Xbox OS have lot of issues since they were planning to launch in 2014, but the hype leading to this thread wasn't justified, and mort was the one hyping this up beyond any reason.

FYI: typical Matt talk.

Pity is the word I'd use if anything.

I've learnt through this thread that famousmortimer is the same person who started the NoDRM campaign with GAF, but since then apparently he's been too occupied with internet 'cred' and comparing himself to other insiders, and is likely still emotionally unstable from the events that befell him a while back (thank you not so anonymous PM). Reading his posts in this thread, and also the little essay via PM (thank you anonymous) about him, then seeing folks throw personal insults at someone who probably should have stepped away from his keyboard a while back, all the while this cycle of leaking and feeding off the leaks continues, is kind of sad.

Stepping away from my joke character for just a brief moment, pity is the word I'd use to describe this entire situation.

You should take your own advice and step away fron the keyboard as well, you come off real salty and bitter.

It's absolutely crazy that microsoft could screw up this much on the software side. Then again, stranger things have happened.

Microsoft is definitely a good software company most of the time, but I can't help but think about how even their famed OS seems to always alternate good/bad/good/bad. Almost feels like the same thing going on since 360 would be considered good.

SpartanN92

Banned
It's crazy

Do you have such a tough time believing that Xbox fans like Xbox Exclusives?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Do you have such a tough time believing that Xbox fans like Xbox Exclusives?

they can like the games fine, but how much of a beating should they take to just get to that point? its kind of sad, really.

the main thing that actually AFFECTS those very games is the 720p, but ::shrug::

TheCloser

Banned
True, but once again none of these are verifiable. We have no information about the devs and can only go by whatever information Famous feeds us. Additionally Matt's post can be interpreted several different ways. Even if he was hinting that this holds some truth there's no way to tell if he's saying everything is true or only some of it unless he gives us a definitive answer. There's just too little information to call this true or false. Unfortunately this is a problem with most "insider" information.
It's a matter of perspective. It's not verifiable to you does not mean it hasn't been verified. Mort let's us know when he is posting a rumor versus when he has spoken to several devs. Just because you did not speak to the dev doesn't mean it hasn't been verified.

You should have paid attention to greenbergs twitter account:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/dont_believe_xbox_one_delay_reports_says_microsoft.html

It was literally 2 hours before the press release.

The original article he debunked stated it as if it was most likely a world-wide delay.

According to the source, Microsoft's console will now ship in Q1 2014. Given that a launch in January is highly unlikely and February is an equally unattractive launch month, this could mean we may have to wait as long as March until Microsoft's next-gen offering arrives. We have no further information on what the cause of the delay is, whether there are issues with manufacturing or whether Microsoft are making last minute alterations.

He was probably laughing at that, the worry that the Xbox One would have a worldwide 2014 delay, and not just Europe.

Feorax

If anyone doesn't follow mort on twitter, he'll be posting a reply here soon. He's also not as stressed out as his posts are making him out to be :p.

It's crazy

I saw worse. Some even said he prefers 720p over 1080p.... seriously man.

If all of those happen to be on Sony camp, I can't imagine what the reaction would be.

SpartanN92

Banned
they can like the games fine, but how much of a beating should they take to just get to that point? its kind of sad, really.

the main thing that actually AFFECTS those very games is the 720p, but ::shrug::

I'm getting both (I love both SONY and MS) at launch but if you told me choose, I'd say Xbox.

I love Halo! It is my all time favorite series (Gaming or otherwise) as powerful or error proof as a PS4 seemingly is, good luck getting it to play Halo.

Edit: Console wars are stupid. Getting both. Best of both worlds.

Enectic

Banned
It's a matter of perspective. It's not verifiable to you does not mean it hasn't been verified. Mort let's us know when he is posting a rumor versus when he has spoken to several devs. Just because you did not speak to the dev doesn't mean it hasn't been verified.

Oh definitely, like you say, it's all a matter of perspective. I'm not trying to discredit anyone here, just simply giving my 2 cents on the matter.

Sophia

If anyone doesn't follow mort on twitter, he'll be posting a reply here soon. He's also not as stressed out as his posts are making him out to be :p.

He does seem pretty calm on Twitter for the most part. Wonder why his posts aren't the same way.

I'd have to come down from my very high horse before I could step away from the keyboard. I like who I am.

Who could blame you for not wanting to come down? That is a mighty fine horse. ;p

Prologue

Isn't it?

Well not minding a kinect and a less powerful machine is fair game. Some people are just interested in the exclusives. Whenever I pick up an X1 next year, I know I'm not the particular person MS had in mind when it came to Kinect. Of course I'll give it at try but its not a bother that its included in the box.

HMC

It's crazy

-Some people realize that "less powerful" is meaningless if you simply enjoy the games that are available to you. Did PS3 fans somehow not enjoy playing multiplat games on their $600 machine, knowing most of those games were better on the other system, or on PC?

-Believe it or not, some people actually want another Kinect. Not the cool kids, I know, lol. The view that motion based games devs can't possibly do anything cool or innovative over the next 6 years is just stupid. Some folks injoy the family-based ground level stuff now, and look forward to better stuff in the future.

--See point #1. I would rather all XB1 games be 1080p, but c'mon.

-Mort says online is completely FUBAR. Sounds suspect. If online is as bad as he says, very few will defend it.

UberTag

As someone who works for xbox live support, Im dreading the xbone launch.
I've been in your shoes before. Launch time is hellish enough even when the hardware is sound and the network is stable. Under these circumstances, it's going to be positively nightmarish.

Best recommendations I can pass along are to constantly communicate with your peers, your tech leads and the folks in Operations that are on the bridge during the launch window.
If an issue emerges (i.e. consistent symptoms across multiple calls) collect as many specific details about it as possible.
Collect error codes.
Get information on how to replicate it or any workarounds customers have discovered.
Share this information immediately.
The other vendors (even your competitors) will need whatever data you can collect.
Be proactive (not reactive) as much as possible.
Until VKB and Message Center are updated with troubleshooting steps for any issues that surface draw up job aids and get them circulated across your site.
Send out feelers now to support staff working at other locations so you have a way to share information independent of the bridge at the ground level.
Hone your de-escalation and call control skills.
People will call in with issues you can't solve right away and you will want to be equipped to make them feel valued despite what they're experiencing.
They're calling in for peace of mind more than anything else.
Give them the tools they need to stay informed and updated but don't set expectations you know you have no way to meet.

Above all else, find ways to contribute independent of the call environment so you won't feel dejected and discouraged as problem calls with no easy solutions flood in.
Customers will hear that mindset in your call delivery and it will just exacerbate any issues they're having and that's a surefire way to trigger a sup request.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom