• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan asks Spencer for backwards compat, Spencer pats fan on head and says he supports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless it's some sort of streaming service to ape PSNow or selective emulation (we saw how well that worked with original xbox to 360) it's not happening. I don't think any sort of meaningful hardware emulation works that way. If it could do it it would have been doing it since launch.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
If they could transfer the hundreds of dollars I spent on arcade games from the 360 to the Xbone, I would become a full on fanboy. I might even stop laughing at the Zune.

Kyougar

Phil continues to agree with everything and promise the world. No surprises here when nothing comes of it.

Yeah, he always says "it would be good", "that he agress with x", etc. etc.
but People must understand, that this are his (PR?) opinions Mostly nothing will come of this kind of twitter conversations. Only when he initiate the conversation, the newsworthy Information, then its actually newsworthy.

I expect nothing with this twitter exchange, or the Windows Focus. Words are wind.
And technically, on Xboxone, its not possible. Only with a service like PS NOW.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I don't know where to post this but this still seems relevant in this thread but I have trouble believing in Phil Spencer he seems more a Yes man than a guy with a vision ....

And If i remember well wasn't he the guy who said "If uour console has drm and is more expensive it doesn't matter gamer will buy because th'ey 're stupid" or something like that I read that news during the DRM backlash on a french website probably badly traduced.

But still he seem more like to guy who say yes to everything and end up doing nothing.

cakely

If they announced actual, drop in the disc BC I would buy the kinect-free SKU as soon as they rolled out the patch.

However, it's not happening. Xbox 360 "BC" was a barely supported mess.

Anteater

Is such a thing even possible? I do really want to see this happen though, and not a streaming solution, just don't have the internet speed/bandwidth for that.

Shahed

I think it would be nice if MS unveiled a TV Tuner device for the Xbox One.

Hear me out, folks.

It would be a standalone TV Tuner, with all the normal functionality that entails, but it'll also have the Xenon chipset built-in for Xbox 360 backwards compatibility. As a standalone, it'll work with X360 game downloads and connect to an external hard drive for storage space. Hook it up to an Xbox One with the HDMI-out and a USB cable, and you can piggyback the disc drive and storage from an X1 to be able to use retail discs on it.

Sell it for $149, and it'll be a hot commodity. Offer versions compatible with cable TV and DirecTV, and everyone with an X1 would take a look.

I swear, I should be working at Microsoft.

Would it not need to be the entire thing seperate? As in it's own CPU/GPU/RAM/Everything bar system storage ? Otherwise the USB would serve as the bottleneck for all the computations or something

I think XboxOne and Ps4 will both get backwards compatibility.
I could imagine that Microsoft is going for a pure streaming solution.

Ps4 will probably get Ps1 and Ps2 HD-Emulation and PsNow streaming for Ps3.

terrisus

Never having owned an XBox or XBox 360, I would probably pick up an XBox One if it offered full disc-based backwards compatibility with those systems.
I can't imagine it ever happening though.

Elios83

Spencer is pretty much playing the "I'm so nice, I'll agree with everything fans ask me about" game at this point :D
360 will be hard to emulate, the architectures are so different and the power gap isn't there.
Maybe there might be a chance with the original Xbox games?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The backlash. It begins. I've been wondering when it was going to happen. Guess backwards compatibility is the thing that gets people. It doesn't actually even seem technically possible for native emulation. I'd buy an XB1 ASAP at $300 if it happened though. Even if it won't.

Dabanton

Lol at the title change.

I like Phil but he needs to ease up on certain questions if they'll never come to fruition.

MikahR

Banned
If they figured out a way to let us import all of our XBLA games to the Xbox One, that would be make me more than happy. That's all the backwards compatibility I really need.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Phil continues to agree with everything and promise the world. No surprises here when nothing comes of it.

Where did he promise anything? He said it was a "good push," and "to pushing for it." He didn't say "yes, it's coming/no it isn't coming." Just that it's a nice idea and consumer response to something they want.

Shahed

Yeah, you're wrong. You beat me to confirming it.

PS2 and PS3 play PS1 discs, not the PS4. ;)

I know it's a matter of resource allocation and that they'll geta round to it. But it seems ironic that the most powerful Playstation released is the only one incapable of playing games from the weakest and oldest device in the library

#BC4XBOXONE

Tweet this message to five people u no, if it is tweeted a million times, MS promise to add backwards compatibittily.

#BC4XBOXONE

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah, he always says "it would be good", "that he agress with x", etc. etc.
but People must understand, that this are his (PR?) opinions Mostly nothing will come of this kind of twitter conversations. Only when he initiate the conversation, the newsworthy Information, then its actually newsworthy.

I expect nothing with this twitter exchange, or the Windows Focus. Words are wind.
And technically, on Xboxone, its not possible. Only with a service like PS NOW.

He talked on twitter & agreed about apps coming out of the paywall months before this recent (June) update so I don't think it's fair to say that everything he does is just for "PR".

I would greatly be surprised if they made this happened though; hence why I said it would be a megaton in my opinion.

Imagine if they announced digital bc for OG Xbox Games, with internal up-rezzing to native 1080p, increased AA, and post-processing, all at 60fps ala Dolphin Emulator.......

Shenmue, Phantom Dust, and JSR....

lt519

Never had a 360 and the One is the only main gaming device I don't have.

If backwards compatibility is announced I will buy in a heartbeat to play everything I missed out on. But where will I find the time to play it all ):

I don't see how this would be possible for 360 games (different architecture and all).

The Xbox One can barely play Xbox One games at a decent framerate/resolution, how is it going to emulate 360 games?

Through Xbox Live streaming.

Don't ask how much more you'll have to pay for it though...

Bundy

Banned
I don't know where to post this but this still seems relevant in this thread but I have trouble believing in Phil Spencer he seems more a Yes man than a guy with a vision ....

And If i remember well wasn't he the guy who said "If uour console has drm and is more expensive it doesn't matter gamer will buy because th'ey 're stupid" or something like that I read that news during the DRM backlash on a french website probably badly traduced.

But still he seem more like to guy who say yes to everything and end up doing nothing.
MS is pushing him as the new PR-Man since the Xbone desaster.
So of course he's the "Yes" man. It's his job now.

bwrobins

Banned
Despite architecture differences, this could be done with a coprocessor or a system on a chip implementation providing true native backwards compatibility.

Would it be smart of them to do this... yes, it would give them the first lead in consumer advocacy since Sony stole the spotlight last E3.

I predict if this is revealed... Microsoft Xbox One would outsell the PS4 within 3 months.

Banned
I don't think it's technically feasible with their CPU. Would love to be wrong.
Agreed. Might end up being software emulation and updating the firmware of the disc drive to detect 360 software probably. Although all the 360 games I want to revisit are getting ported to xb1 (Halo mostly).

If this were to be announced at E3 it would be a great move on Microsoft's part. It would be a clear distinction for all those 360 owners out there who might be considering buying a PS4 instead of an XB1.

mr2t

Banned
I think it would be nice if MS unveiled a TV Tuner device for the Xbox One.

Hear me out, folks.

It would be a standalone TV Tuner, with all the normal functionality that entails, but it'll also have the Xenon chipset built-in for Xbox 360 backwards compatibility. As a standalone, it'll work with X360 game downloads and connect to an external hard drive for storage space. Hook it up to an Xbox One with the HDMI-out and a USB cable, and you can piggyback the disc drive and storage from an X1 to be able to use retail discs on it.

Sell it for $149, and it'll be a hot commodity. Offer versions compatible with cable TV and DirecTV, and everyone with an X1 would take a look.

I swear, I should be working at Microsoft.

I always laugh when someone prefaces a post (especially the OP) with something like "hear me out." Basically guaranteed a bad idea.

Nice title change, but yeah, I don't think it will happen unless they do something like Sony will do with the streaming service.

It's hard to disagree with you. Phil has basically agreed with many consumer criticisms, says they are adding it to the list, or they are looking into it. Backwards Compatibility is just another thing they are looking into. Lets see how any, or even some of these things, play out.

They really need backwards compatibility of SOME kind for the original Xbox exclusives,
especially rare games or classics (like Otogi, Conker, Mechassault, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crimsons Skies, the list goes on) because that system isn't that reliable or as refined as the Xbox 360 had gotten with the Jasper and slim models.

Or just do proper digital re-releases, but not half-ass it like they did on the Xbox 360...

I bet some people here don't even know they released some original Xbox games on the Xbox 360 marketplace!

Freeman

Banned
Doesn't seem likely at all, would be great tho, specially if it forced Sony to somehow do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom