• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan asks Spencer for backwards compat, Spencer pats fan on head and says he supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Basically, give the man a chance, he's been in power for no more than a couple of months or so. Why the hell you expecting instant results. And have you ignored all the other good shit he's done recently?

I don't know why you're addressing your reply at me.

Bgamer90

Banned
I still think it's coming in the form of a disc less Xbox Mini that plugs into the USB port on the side of the console.

Yeah, I remember those rumors. Similar to the Genesis power base converter. I would buy one as long as it's small and could fit (or connect) to the Xbox one easily.

Neff

If MS did this it would be over for Sony.

But they can't, not without a Bone redesign, so it won't.

KiraXD

BC is one thing i miss. I would definitely get an XB1 if it offered BC... your move sony... PS2 BC? (please)

Backwards compatibility is really important to me for one reason... ease. (and letting me play older games with newer better controller!)

MrBenchmark

I'm no expert but we've got a system here with the same brand gpu much more powerful than the last with far more memory but very similar design. The wild card is can a x86 AMD CPU with 8 cores pull off emulating a ppc based tri core CPU. If it could that would be pretty sweet.

dcx4610

Back in April 2013...

"The “Xbox Mini” is not a 360 add-on, it is a stand alone product that contains Xbox 360 functions for gaming, and alone it is meant to compete with Apple TV. Since it is likely it will not have a disc drive, it is being designed with “always online” in mind, and with internet being required for Live functions. Xbox 360 Games can be played on it by purchasing Games on Demand on Xbox Live (for new purchases) or if already purchased, simply download it. This also applies to music and movies. To further clarify, the Durango will also have these (TV) functions, just with next-genration gaming hardware instead of Xbox 360 at a higher price."

The idea was you could connect it to your Xbox One for backwards compatibility. I don't know if it was dropped or put on hold. I would consider it if is was around $99.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Basically, it is stated that emulation of Power PC on X86 architecture is "really hard," there are some plans, but nothing concrete to announce at the time or recording.

absolutely.

it could be brute forced via a server ie cloud/gaikai, but it would probably still require a shit ton of resources in providing assurance. even still emulation would still not be 100%

KaiserBecks

Yep, just like it was game over for 360 when the PS3 had PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility.

Sony killed that feature as soon as they realized there was still money to be made with the PS2. And unlike the US 60gb PS3, it wasn't even a thing in Europe, just a half assed software emulation.

I'd rather have remastered editions like Sony did for their PS2 games.

Yeah, I'd love remasters for the 3-4 360 games I actually still own (Banjo, Crackdown, the Halos).

I would love it if the Xbox Live Arcade games would get ported over to the Xbox One (for free as long as you already own them). I have a ton of those, and most aren't exactly the most graphically intensive games (Castlevania SOTN, Banjo 1+2, Beyond Good and Evil, etc.)

Syriel

It will never be native backwards compatible. Maybe some streaming solution like Sony but you won't just put in a 360 disc and play.

Has a console ever not had backwards compatibility for the previous generation at launch but added it later?

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive -- BC added later via accessory.
Xbox 360 -- Supported Halo/Halo 2 at launch. All other titles added later.

BC is really a newish thing.

Consoles generally did not have it before PS2.

Nater

Neo Member
Don't know if you guys knew this but the x360 didn't have true backwards compatibility either because of the chipset differences. They had an internal team go through all the most popular titles on the original xbox, and create emulated versions for the xbox 360. when you stuck an xbox game in your 360, it would read the disk and go to xbox live to download the emulated game. I think in the few years the team eventually recreated like 75% of the entire xbox library. Also, some that were remade weren't perfect - they had minor issues.

Xbox exec team during the shit storm last year said that backwards compatibility could be possible but that they would have to work it out and it wasn't on the immediate radar. I assume the solution, if they have one now, will be similar.

Neff

Yep, just like it was game over for 360 when the PS3 had PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility.

Very different platforms, very different markets, and very different times. Not an apt comparison.

We're kind of at an impasse where neither of the new consoles has a lot to play. There's no doubt that PS2 and PS3 both enjoyed the luxury of legacy titles when they were hurting for new software. 360 never really had that luxury, even if its BC hadn't sucked. But it did have great games that people wanted to play.

PhatSaqs

Banned
t1hel0e.png
lol

one year later and, from what I gathered from a majority of posts, backwards compatibility is something no one gives gives a shit about. It's "super niche" (as if "niche" wasn't enough), apparently.

Amir0x

Banned
If MS did this it would be over for Sony.

But they can't, not without a Bone redesign, so it won't.

But they can, and they did, and it is somehow not over for Sony. So everything here is wrong!

Great news all around. I bet going software emulation for PS4 would be extremely difficult considering how fucked PS3's architecture was. So Bone got the only BC solution (other than Wii U) worth a damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom