• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fanatec Beta Test Gentlemen, start your voting!

mclaren777

It's over!!

yoritomo.gif

yOXFb.png

Now that the application phase is over, it's time to chose a winner. We're going to run this like the NeoGAF photography challenges but with a subtle tweak (you only get one vote).

Please read through the choices below and then make your selection known.

bee
• Platforms and specs: PC only (2500k@4.5GHz, GTX 680, 3 x LG W2363D monitors)
• Current or previous gear: G25 with modded pedals (Nixim brake mod, Bodnar cable)
• Real life experience: Numerous trackdays in various cars
• Games and sims: LFS, iRacing, netKar Pro, rFactor, GTR2/Evolution, pCARS
• Previous reviews: Nothing of significance
• Personal statement: "Don't have any published reviews or anything like that to show, although i can write i just choose not to bother about capitals, apostrophes etc when on forum."
Link to Application

Jibbed
• Platforms and specs: PC only (2600k, GTX 560Ti, one 24" monitor)
• Current or previous gear: Previously owned Microsoft Xbox 360 wheel
• Real life experience: 12 years of karting with 300 laps of Formula Ford and Clio Cup
• Games and sims: rFactor and Project CARS
• Previous reviews: Nothing of significance apart from a gaming channel on Youtube
• Personal statement: "I'd easily have the time to do so and would try to produce something professional, but I don't have anything to show for it if I'm honest."
Link to Application

Nick_GTL
• Platforms and specs: 3 PS3s and PC (i7-3930k, GTX 680, three monitors)
• Current or previous gear: Logitech G27 + Wheelstand Pro (DFGT and Microsoft Wireless Wheel)
• Real life experience: Nothing mentioned
• Games and sims: GT5, F1 2011, Dirt 3
• Previous reviews: Nothing mentioned
• Personal statement: "I know I would keep the wheel so I would be spending $605 which is not bad considering normally it would be $1210 + shipping + tax"
Link to Application

Yoritomo
• Platforms and specs: PS3 and PC (2500k + 580 SLI + Triple Monitor)
• Current or previous gear: Fanatec PWTS and Clubsport pedals (G25 and DFGT)
• Real life experience: 240SX around Texas World Speedway
• Games and sims: GT5, Richard Burns Rally, GTR2, rFactor 2 Beta, pCARS, iRacing, netKar Pro, LFS
• Previous reviews: Highlighted issues with the steering in Forza 4
• Personal statement: "I would approach the review from a very technical standpoint and try and incorporate data from David Tuckers "iRacing force feedback test" as well as subjective impressions from the array of racing games I own (I'd make sure to devote a decent amount of time to GT5)."
Link to Application

yOXFb.png

This is the critical information:
• This is Fanatec's premiere wheel
• The hardware is under embargo
• Only one of you will be selected
• The winner pays a $440 deposit
• The BMW rim is 100% authentic
• The deposit is fully refundable

I've sent EviLore a PM about this thread in case he isn't cool with it.

I have been selected by Fanatec to be NeoGAF's Community Test Manager.

Fanatec is looking for someone who is willing to thoroughly test a Clubsport Wheel base with both the BMW M3 GT2 and Formula rims. Only one NeoGAF member will be selected and that person needs to share either a written or video review with the rest of the community at the end of the test. I'm looking for honest, capable people who are good at expressing their opinions and the goal of this thread is to find the best possible candidate.

The Hardware:
• Clubsport Wheel: regularly $450, winner pays $225 deposit
• BMW GT2 Rim: regularly $250, winner pays $125 deposit
• Formula Rim: regularly $180, winner pays $90 deposit

• Clubsport Pedals: regularly $200, winner pays $100 deposit
• CSR Elite Pedals: regularly $150, winner pays $75 deposit
• Rennsport Stand: regularly $130, winner pays $65 deposit
• Clubsport Clamp: regularly $50, winner pays $25 deposit
(bolded items are mandatory, others are not)

Youtube – CSW Introduction
Youtube – BMW Wheel in use

fanatec1.gif
fanatec2.gif

ibq2Mv0tUbQ36Q.jpg

irhg7GOFdnKZd.jpg

i0r43ZL0IT0G2.jpg

izXzZuwRaF6Yw.jpg

This is what I need from you:
• Explain why you think you are suitable for this task
• Please link to any reviews that show your expertise
• Which sim racing hardware do you currently own?
• Which gaming platforms (PC or PS3) do you own?
• Which racing games/sims do you currently play?

Some things you should know:
• Unfortunately, community reviewers of the CSR Elite Wheel cannot participate in this community review
• The reviewer will receive a CSW base with the two rims and will also be allowed to test pedals and accessories
• The reviewer is required to inform Fanatec about any hardware problems they experience during the test period
• Every reviewer will have at least 14 days to review the products, but the exact review period will be determined later
• Due to past problems, the reviewer will unfortunately be required to make a 50% deposit for the full value of the products
• After the review period is over and the review is posted online, Fanatec will ask the reviewer if they want to return the gear or keep it
• If the reviewer chooses to keep it, the deposit they made stays with Fanatec, so the reviewer receives a 50% discount for their effort
• If the reviewer decides to return some or all of the gear, Fanatec will refund the original 50% deposit + shipping costs for the gear
• Unfortunately, only people from the EU, North America, Australia, and Japan can participate in this community review

All information regarding the Clubsport Wheel Platform is under embargo until the community review period has concluded, so please keep everything to yourself until then. The exact date and time when the embargo lifts is not yet known, but I will share that information as soon as I have it.

Megasoum

Banned
Hmm...just curious but how is it "50% off"? If you want to keep the wheel they keep the 50% deposit and they give you a 50% off coupon...so you still end up paying for 100% of the wheel no?

I'd love to but I am not worthy!

Slightly above average racer, no real life racing experience outside of a small karting league, never did any reviews for any kind of this stuff.

@Megasoum: No, u pay 50% eitherway, afterwards you can choose to keep it, or return it and get ur 50% back.

mclaren777

Hmm...just curious but how is it "50% off"? If you want to keep the wheel they keep the 50% deposit and they give you a 50% off coupon...so you still end up paying for 100% of the wheel no?

The three elements of the CSW Platform will cost $880 when they eventually launch, so by paying only $440 (if the winner chooses to keep the hardware), they will be saving $440.

scogoth

Love too but I don't play sims enough to be a good candidate =(
Plus its exam time...

Let me know when they go retail

Megasoum

Banned
I'd love to but I am not worthy!

Slightly above average racer, no real life racing experience outside of a small karting league, never did any reviews for any kind of this stuff.

@Megasoum: No, u pay 50% eitherway, afterwards you can choose to keep it, or return it and get ur 50% back.

The three elements of the CSW Platform will cost $880 when they eventually launch, so by paying only $440 (if the winner chooses to keep the hardware), they will be saving $440.

Ahhhhhh my bad, I re-read that part and I get it now lol. Sorry I'm tired. I thought they were keeping the deposit and sending you a 50% coupon for when you will purchase it (aka sending you a coupon for the value of your deposit).

Much better that way...hmm tempting.

Orgun

Like the others have said, I would kill to get that gear but having never had any previous reviewing experience AND i've only ever used a DFGT...I ain't worthy. /sadface

Megasoum

Banned
Like the others have said, I would kill to get that gear but having never had any previous reviewing experience AND i've only ever used a DFGT...I ain't worthy. /sadface

Yeah, I don't have much reviewing experience but I work in QA so I'm used to analyse stuff and find issues. Actually, for me the biggest problem would be to come up with the 450$ I love my PWTS+CSP but I wouldn't mind an upgrade lol.

muu

I pondered about getting one of these things when Forza4 came out, but for my level of caringness the MS Wheel is still more than good enough. If only authentic racing games came with more rocket launcher battles.

Yoritomo

I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the ring.

I'll list my current hardware.

I have a Modern PC (2500k + 580 SLI + Triple Monitor setup). I already have a fanatec table clamp and rennsport wheelstand along with a Fanatec PWTS and Clubsport pedals. Prior equipment is a G25 and Logitech DFGT, both of which were sold around 2 years ago.
List of PC sims and racing games.

PC
Dirt Series
F1 2010 & 2011
Shift
Shift 2
Richard Burns Rally with Rallyesim mods
GTR2
All the Race 07 based simbin games
rFactor (I have multiple installs with a bunch of different packs)
rFactor 2 Beta
Project C.A.R.S (Senior)
iRacing (sub just lapsed but I'll renew for the review)
Ferrari Virtual Academy
NetKar Pro
Live for Speed
(honestly I'm probably forgetting some now but I basically buy every sim possible for the PC)

PS3

GT5 (all Gold licenses and challenges)

I'm currently playing Project C.A.R.S when I can find the time to join in the neogaf time trial championships. This is usually done with the PWTS in PS3 mode and using G25 drivers, since there are still some notable bugs with the pCARS and the centering spring in fanatec wheels. I also run the current F1 race in F1 2011 on a Friday or Saturday in order to familiarize myself with the track and better enjoy the racing during the weekend.

I don't have many posted reviews but one item I was able to get in front of the community on was the early issues with forza 4 and ratio changes that occurred when in the 900 degree setting.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31469665&postcount=389

I have many more posts about the issue and a video posted to youtube regarding the issue here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCbbkHUGOTo The video was done quickly.

Obviously this isn't a review, but at least it explains my ability to explain a very specific concept that is occurring with regards to sim racing and its control inputs. Given the opportunity I would much rather spend some time on a full text review for neogaf with some video and noise level estimates thrown into the mix. I would approach the review from a very technical standpoint and try and incorporate data from David Tuckers "iRacing force feedback test" as well as subjective impressions from the array of racing games I own (I'd make sure to devote a decent amount of time to GT5). I also have moderate real life track experience, but it's been years since I threw my now sold 240sx around Texas World Speedway and any comparison I would do to real life probably wouldn't be very relevant since it's been 8 years or more since I've driven a real car in anger.

I'm good to go for the review and have the spare change for the deposit, sign me up.

paskowitz

Mclaren, feel free to use this picture I made for my community test:
6988247625_0acb2e3d0c_o1..jpg

Also, I would do some PM'ing. Toxa, ashk, seattle6418 and l2ounD are all great racers from the NeoGAF GT5 Racing League and pending money, would make great testers. I would also see if there is anyone hanging out in the Pcars, iRacing or F12012 fthreads that would like this.

Also, to people who think you are not worthy. If you have the money, apply anyways!

1-D_FTW

I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the ring.

I'll list my current hardware.

I have a Modern PC (2500k + 580 SLI + Triple Monitor setup). I already have a fanatec table clamp and rennsport wheelstand along with a Fanatec PWTS and Clubsport pedals. Prior equipment is a G25 and Logitech DFGT, both of which were sold around 2 years ago.
List of PC sims and racing games.

PC
Dirt Series
F1 2010 & 2011
Shift
Shift 2
Richard Burns Rally with Rallyesim mods
GTR2
All the Race 07 based simbin games
rFactor (I have multiple installs with a bunch of different packs)
rFactor 2 Beta
Project C.A.R.S (Senior)
iRacing (sub just lapsed but I'll renew for the review)
Ferrari Virtual Academy
NetKar Pro
Live for Speed
(honestly I'm probably forgetting some now but I basically buy every sim possible for the PC)

PS3

GT5 (all Gold licenses and challenges)

I'm currently playing Project C.A.R.S when I can find the time to join in the neogaf time trial championships. This is usually done with the PWTS in PS3 mode and using G25 drivers, since there are still some notable bugs with the pCARS and the centering spring in fanatec wheels. I also run the current F1 race in F1 2011 on a Friday or Saturday in order to familiarize myself with the track and better enjoy the racing during the weekend.

I don't have many posted reviews but one item I was able to get in front of the community on was the early issues with forza 4 and ratio changes that occurred when in the 900 degree setting.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31469665&postcount=389

I have many more posts about the issue and a video posted to youtube regarding the issue here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCbbkHUGOTo The video was done quickly.

Obviously this isn't a review, but at least it explains my ability to explain a very specific concept that is occurring with regards to sim racing and its control inputs. Given the opportunity I would much rather spend some time on a full text review for neogaf with some video and noise level estimates thrown into the mix. I would approach the review from a very technical standpoint and try and incorporate data from David Tuckers "iRacing force feedback test" as well as subjective impressions from the array of racing games I own (I'd make sure to devote a decent amount of time to GT5). I also have moderate real life track experience, but it's been years since I threw my now sold 240sx around Texas World Speedway and any comparison I would do to real life probably wouldn't be very relevant since it's been 8 years or more since I've driven a real car in anger.

I'm good to go for the review and have the spare change for the deposit, sign me up.

*looks hard*

Yeah. I'm not even gonna pretend I can beat that. Wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much money (although I'm a sucker for deals), but this makes the "choice" real easy.

amar212

Since I was among the CSRE testers, I am not ellegible.

However, my voice absolutely goes for choosing Yoritomo.

He was the only voice who stand by me during discussion of early FM4 steering assits issue with the wheels and from that single example he gets my "pro" vote because he certainly knows the matter of steering devices and their influence on gameplay through both feel, sensation and performance.

He performed a great testing backthan, we came independetly with the same conslusions and he was the only instance I could discuss with about that subject on objective and informative way - without drowning in pool of dillusions or explaining the unexplainable to Whichunt Crew.

Of course, Pask would also get my vote, but since he already manages testing on PS forums, it is Yoritomo all the way.

And I am so eager to hear the first impressions and one day get a chance to put CSW against CSRE at my setup. Congrats to all involved, such a great time awaits you.

paskowitz

*looks hard*

Yeah. I'm not even gonna pretend I can beat that. Wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much money (although I'm a sucker for deals), but this makes the "choice" real easy.

I will admit... that is an intimidating resume. I would not want to go up against it either...

spicy cho

Even at 50% off I couldn't afford this thing right now. If this wheel is half as awesome as it looks and doesn't have some horrible hidden defect I hope the lucky person who gets to test it keeps it.

mclaren777

More people should see this to put their hats in the ring.

I've shared this info on GAF in numerous threads so I hope everybody sees it.

I have no problem selecting you, but I would like everybody to get a fair opportunity to make a case for themselves.

Damn, this is great. I would love to get a new wheel by 2014 or so, this looks like a winner.

Shame i don´t live in the regular gaming world (live outside EU, USA, Japan and Australia), so i will only be reading the news from the sidelines.

Jibbed

If I lived in the US then I'd definitely put myself forward for this (I'm assuming this is a requirement, yes?), my experience extends to a little bit of real-life racing as well. I'll post for the hell of it anyway.

Racing career:
Karting for 12 years (started aged 8, now 20).
Club champion at local track in '06/'07/'09 (Junior Rotax Max, Senior Rotax Max x2).
Stars of Tomorrow/Super 1 British Karting Championships - 6th/3rd in '08 with 2 wins.
BUKC (University Karting) - 2 race wins in 2012.
3 Formula Ford tests at Silverstone, 200ish laps.
2 Clio Cup tests, Silverstone and Donington, 100ish laps.

Gaming:
I've been playing racing games since I got my first console in 1997 (aged 6), PS1 with Formula 1 '96!
My rig right now - i7 2600k, GTX 560Ti, 8GB RAM with one 24" monitor.
I don't currently own a wheel or stand, the last I had was the wireless Xbox 360 one (which I sold).
Project CARS (weekly builds).
rFactor.
F1 2010/11 and pretty much every other Codies racing game.
Forza 4 on Xbox 360.

Yoritomo seems like the obvious candidate anyway, and aside from the fact I don't have a lot of money at the moment, I've never really 'reviewed' anything. I'd easily have the time to do so and would try to produce something professional, but I don't have anything to show for it if I'm honest*. Jealous of whoever gets their hands on this in the end, looks like a decent piece of kit!

*I have a gaming channel that a run with a friend and a BUKC channel for my University if anyone's interested (I produce the majority of videos for both), but they're nothing special.

If I lived in the US then I'd definitely put myself forward for this (I'm assuming this is a requirement, yes?), my experience extends to a little bit of real-life racing as well. I'll post for the hell of it anyway.

Fanatec are a German company and they ship worldwide.

paskowitz

We need more applicants. It is probably a big ask, but do you think it would be possible to get this stuck at the top of the gaming section for a week?

paskowitz

It would be great to have more applicants, but I don't see this thread getting a sticky. :(

I mean hell... give it a shot. What do you have to lose? Its not like GAF is getting a next gen console to test, but still, its not everyday something like this happens.

KillerAJD

Yeah and they probably looked over the point "The deposit is fully refundable". You are getting to test $880+ of hardware. Prototype hardware.

That's great...if you have the extra money to begin with. I'm fine with them doing it this way, but for some people (like myself), I'd have been totally cool with returning it no matter what if I didn't have to pay a deposit. I'd be in it just to test some cool stuff, and not for the "discount". Regardless, people are going to be getting an awesome deal if they decide to keep their stuff, and I'm jealous they get to use anyways, haha.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm fine with them doing it this way, but for some people (like myself), I'd have been totally cool with returning it no matter what if I didn't have to pay a deposit.

I believe this is what they tried before and it ending up not going too well, hence the deposits this time around.

Hellish

When is the deadline to apply? If I had like a week to think about it so I am out of school I could decide then but it seems you already have someone more then qualified above ^

Not sure if I am going to apply or not but

My setup consists of 3 PS3's for triple screen GT5, 3 Xbox 360's for triple screen forza 4(not relevant to this wheel), and my pc specs are: i7-3930k, RIVE, GTX 680, as well I currently have 1 120hz monitor but I am getting 2 more in about a week. PC games I play are F1 2011 and Dirt 3. My current wheel is a Logitech G27 + Wheelstand pro, I have owned in the past the logitech DFGT and microsoft wireless wheel. I have done a review on the Sony Wireless Stereo Headset, and a how to video on setting up forza 4 for multiple monitors, as well as multiple unboxings, I am also going to do a review of the BenQ XL2420T next weekend once my exams are over, which will be more of a professional review then my other ones.

Lastly, the main reason I am not sure about applying is I know I would keep the wheel so I would be spending $605 it is not bad considering normally it would be $1210 + shipping + tax but $605 is still a big chunk of change when I am happy with my G27.

KillerAJD

I believe this is what they tried before and it ending up not going too well, hence the deposits this time around.

Yeah, I figured as much. There are always some bad apples that spoil it for people. It makes sense especially when you consider how expensive the stuff is to begin with. I can completely see the difference between what Fanatec is doing here and what CDProjektRed did with their Witcher 2 review promo.

bee

i'm as suitable as anyone for the role i guess, i have the cash to partake (was for a t500rs tbh) and have a bit of experience from my own and friends cars on track days on various circuits in north west england and also went on the palmersport track day, no championships, leagues or anything like that though

don't have any published reviews or anything like that to show, although i can write i just choose not to bother about capitals, apostrophes etc when on forums :p

i play PC only, with 2500k@4.5ghz, 8gb, gtx 680, 3 x LG W2363D 120hz monitors. still running an old G25 with modded pedals (nixim brake mod, bodnar cable)

own LFS, iracing (subbed till 2014), netkarpro, rfactor, gtr2/evolution, pcars and probably various others i simply can't remember or don't play anymore. currently play mainly iracing and netkarpro with a bit of pcars thrown in now and then. will reinstall gtr2 when power and the glory 3.0 gets released.

paskowitz

When is the deadline to apply? If I had like a week to think about it so I am out of school I could decide then but it seems you already have someone more then qualified above ^

Not sure if I am going to apply or not but

My setup consists of 3 PS3's for triple screen GT5, 3 Xbox 360's for triple screen forza 4(not relevant to this wheel), and my pc specs are: i7-3930k, RIVE, GTX 680, as well I currently have 1 120hz monitor but I am getting 2 more in about a week. PC games I play are F1 2011 and Dirt 3. My current wheel is a Logitech G27 + Wheelstand pro, I have owned in the past the logitech DFGT and microsoft wireless wheel. I have done a review on the Sony Wireless Stereo Headset, and a how to video on setting up forza 4 for multiple monitors, as well as multiple unboxings, I am also going to do a review of the BenQ XL2420T next weekend once my exams are over, which will be more of a professional review then my other ones.

Lastly, the main reason I am not sure about applying is I know I would keep the wheel so I would be spending $605 it is not bad considering normally it would be $1210 + shipping + tax but $605 is still a big chunk of change when I am happy with my G27.

Apply anyways. If you can't do it and you win then the next person in line simply gets the opportunity.

Frankfurt

Banned
Kinda off-topic, but I went online last month with the purpose of buying a Fanatec force feedback wheel for the 360, as there are no force feedback wheels in my country.

I looked and looked, and found out that

a) Fanatec doesn't ship to other countries, and
b) the one other FF wheel costs the same as a Fanatec... and is made by Madcatz.

I wasn't going to pay the ~120% taxes of importing (plus shipping) for a Madcatz, so i ended up ordering a Wireless Speed Wheel, which... doesn't have bumpers.

:-(

Fixed1979

Would love to be involved but I'm confident I would probably end up being a terrible reviewer and don't have enough time available right now (besides Yori is a sim beast). Pretty cool of you to bring this to us McLaren777. It looks like an excellent set up so I'm curious to see how it's received.

mclaren777

I've reached out to tons of people here on NeoGAF (eight related threads, 20+ personal messages, etc) and I've decided to set tomorrow evening as the deadline for applications.

If you want to be considered, please don't hesitate/procrastinate. :)

t1334732400z4.png

Top Bottom