• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fanatec Clubsport Wheel, CSP V2, Wheelstand V2 review thread

Yoritomo

Fanatec.jpg

No dates have been announced but as of today the NDA is up for the Clubsport Wheel community reviews.

Let me lay down the facts.

Prices
  • Clubsport Wheel Base - $449.95
  • CSW BMW M3 GT2 rim - $249.95
  • Formula rim - $179.95
  • Clubsport Pedals V2 - $249.95
  • CSR Elite pedals - $149.95
  • Clubsport Table Clamp V2 - $49.95
  • Rennsport Wheel Stand V2 - $129.95 or €119,95

Price + VAT in Europe = price in dollars except for the Rennsport Wheel Stand V2

The neogaf community selected me as the community tester of Clubsport wheel, hereafter referred to as the CSW.

I have opted to keep all components that I tested. I am the proud owner of the:

• Clubsport Wheel Base
  • CSW BMW M3 GT2 rim
  • Formula rim
  • Clubsport Pedals V2
  • Rennsport Wheel Stand V2

cswbmw.jpg

Opinion

Lets start with the subjective and move on from there. I didn't prepare an unboxing vid but I actually suggest avoiding them if you believe the purchase of a fanatec product is in your future. They have a way with packaging. Just opening the box is a small event meant to cause excitement and reward you for your purchase.

Positives

Driving with either of the clubsport wheels is amazing. There is ZERO cogging (cogging is that notchy feeling you get if you push an electric motor against its applied force). Or any existing cogging is so finely grained as to be basically imperceptible. The wheel is fast, I'll provide a graph of just how fast later. It's also strong, again just how strong... you'll see.

When playing iRacing, pCars, Race 07, rFactor 2 (can't comment much here, there was a bug that made is unworkable until a couple of days ago), you no longer have to anticipate or fight the wheel. It melts away. You can drive completely through the FFB and the seat of your pants. If you need a bit of countersteer, you don't have to force yourself into the proper position. Toss the wheel or let go and the FFB will guide you. Driving is more intuitive. The tactile feedback of the buttons is short and very clicky. The shifters are adjustable and easily removable. The entire thing can be taken apart if you have a set of metric Hex wrenches. You can adjust belt tension without opening the case. You can connect 2 shifters at one time. So you could use one shifter as a gated shifter and the sequential shifter as a handbrake. The hardware is beautiful, solid, and seems built to last. The wheel is also absurdly quiet. As far as I can tell the electric motors are silent. The only noise you hear is of the mechanism itself shifting and the belts gliding.

Negatives

This was both a review and a beta test. They are still tweaking the firmware and developing the driver to respond how they want. The GT rim itself is heavy. Heavy enough that it slows the free spinning wheel slightly. The firmware is plainly not complete. Damper and Spring settings do not work. A problem with the shifter and firmware prevented me from digging into GT5 as much as I would have liked. While they are still adjusting, initially the wheel dropped or really really killed all force feedback below about 25-30% saturation. This has been corrected with the latest firmware.

What you get

The CSW base currently has 2 optional rims. Both are wrapped in Alcantara leather. The CSW base features a new bolt pattern if you want to mount it flush. If you are planning on a flush mount and have an old rennsport wheelstand or table clamp expect to either do some drilling or just use their metal adapter. They weigh as follows

• GT Rim: 4.75 pounds
  • F1 Rim: 2.6 Pounds

The metal adapter comes pre-installed on the base and puts the wheel at a slight 15-20 degree angle. There are 4 female rj45 plugs along the back of the base. They are for Data, Pedal, Shifter 1, Shifter 2 respectively. The case comes with 2 male rj45 to ps/2 adapters so you can use the existing hardware with the new plugs. The CSP V2 pedals still have ps/2 plugs. I have no idea what the data port does, but I'm sure it's awesome. They have a quick release mechanism that takes a bit of strength to engage and disengage. I'll post some notes after this post that indicate that Fanatec have remedied some fitment issues people were having with the wheel quick release system. The LED shift lights work is developers or plugin writer have created the functionality for your favorite game. pCars for instance has a great shift light setup and it works perfectly.

The Wheel is compatible with PC and PS3 (any game that works with the G25 should work with this wheel, essentially when in PS3 mode it mimics being a G25. You can even use Logitech drivers with the wheel)

clubsportF1.jpg

Nitty Gritty

Speed

WheelSpeedPosition.PNG

David Tucker from iRacing wrote an application that allows you to test some technical aspects of wheels. The test you see above is called the step test. It applies a force to the wheel for a period of time, reverses the force for the same amount of time then does it all again, while tracking the position of the wheel. It allows us to figure a few things out. To interpret the graph above, the wheel that dips the lowest is the fastest. So the top 3 are The CSW with F1 rim, T500, then CSW with GT Rim.

1. The CSW with the F1 wheel is the fastest wheel on the market
  2. The GT rim slows it past the t500
  3. It's still fast as hell
  4. The wheel updates at 500hz (the same as logitech G series wheels and Fanatec wheels after the latest firmware)
  5. They need a lighter full Rim than the GT rim, for individuals who want the most speed possible. With a lighter rim it could easily outpace the T500

Here's another comparison that you shouldn't take too seriously, but is indicative of the power in this wheel. I used a fish scale to approximate the torque at the outer edge of each respective wheel when FFB was sending a fully saturated signal to the wheel. This is the force necessary to hold the wheel still Mind you the GT rim is very large so the forces are appropriately lower at the outer edge with that particular rim.

• CSW F1 rim: 12.5-12.7 pounds
  • CSW GT Rim: 7-7.5 Pounds

So if you want to drive your CSW F1 rim with one hand... imagine having to hold a weight up in your hand that weighs 12 pounds. I work out a decent amount and do dumbbell front raises with 20-25 pounds. This wheel is strong.

Now I know this isn't directly comparable AT ALL because they use a different scale and were administered by a different person who did basically the same test.

• Logitech g25: 5.2 pounds
  • Logitech g27: 4.5 pounds
  • Fanatec GT3: 4.8 pounds
  • Thrustmaster T500RS: 5.5 pounds
  • Logitech DFP: 4.6 pounds

Linear Force Explanation

LinearForceTest.PNG

This test uses progressive force feedback saturation values to check and see what effect they have on the wheel. The values between wheels should not be compared. What we're interested in is any effects that are clipping(flat lines in the graph). One thing I found is that with different FFB or Force setting on the CSW the wheel actually changes how steep the force curve is. There is a drawback. Up until this latest firmware with the GT Rim only the CSW was dropping/clipping values under 25% or so saturation. With the latest firmware this was improved to about 10-15%. The graph above shows relative values from the GT Rim, F1 Rim and a Porsche Wheel Turbo S, acting as control.

I asked Sean the Community manager about this and he said they were trying to eliminate some resistance around the center that pulled you out of the game and the only way to do so was clip some of the lowest FFB saturation values. I'm not a huge fan of this as we're missing out on some aspects of what the designers of a game (even if it's not realistic) intended and there is no option to avoid this behavior. If you are playing a game that is trying to mimic power steering in a car, you'll find yourself feeling like you're in an old wallowy cadillac, at least until this latest firmware. The good news is that the firmware is constantly evolving.

Summary

The wheel is everything I had hoped construction wise. Having used it, it would be difficult to go back to another wheel. It is expensive. However it does provide and eliminate issues people might have with mid range wheels. Mainly cogging, speed, power, accuracy, and the wonderful tuning menu that can't be overlooked.

The issue then becomes one of software and customer service. Much has been said about Fanatec, and while they have given me a great opportunity to test their wheel, I cannot help but mention some downsides to dealing with a small company that is stretching to provide high end mass market niche gaming gear. Customer service can be slow, however I am the beneficiary of their customer service. They have replaced 2 shifter sets and a pedal set for me for free. If you are patient, have some spare change, and want the fastest, strongest, consumer wheel on the market, the CSW is only $880 bucks away, oh, you'll need some pedals too.

Clubsport Pedals V2

IMG_2339_1-580x300.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea5tTZrYY-g

The Clubsport Pedals version 2 has a few small refinement and a larger price tag. There is a mechanism that provide a degressive clutch, and a shock from a large scale RC vehicle has been added to the brake. The clutch is a wonderful success. I wouldn't say it's worth the 50 bucks alone but it gives the clutch a distinct snappy feel that you might have in a modern sports car that's designed to be driven in anger. The Shock on the brake does a reasonable job of mimicking the hydraulic build up, but doesn't feel the same. It does have the benefit of smoothing the load cell brake input. I'm not sure that's worth the 50 bucks either. The one major benefit I found in the CSPv2? The pedal surfaces were polished and all the edges were rounded. This means driving barefoot or in socks for long periods of time is no longer a lesson in healing foot abrasion. I can drive barefoot!! If you have the CSP V1 you'll understand. They're beautiful, heavy, and tear at your feet a bit. The CSP v2 is however perfect in this regard. My suggestion is to try and figure out a way to get the CSP v1 with polished pedals for 50 dollars less... That's probably impossible, but well, you know.

Rennsport Wheelstand V2

The new wheelstand has some updates from the old one.

• You can have it set up at either 90 degrees or 110 degrees.
  • The CSW is too heavy for it to be set up at 110 degrees, even with clubsport pedals resting on the base (it won't tip over, but if you pull down with 12 pounds of force while going around the hairpin at monoco you're going to drive a large wheelstand bar into your crotch with 12 pounds of force).
  • It carries the new bolt pattern so you can mount the CSW flush.
  • There is a metric hex insert on the knob so you can use a big ole hex wrench and a breaker bar to make sure there is absolutely NO wiggle in the wheelstand.
  • It comes with a shifter adapter for a G series wheel, but no mount for a fanatec shifter.
  • The shifter adapter/mount is stamped instead of thick aluminum so it's not quite as sturdy as the old one.

Overall

This is some quality stuff. If you're patient with customer service and a hobbyist with 800 bucks this is the wheel to get

Questions and Requests

If you want some more material, I'm more than willing to provide. Just ask. I didn't include impressions with particular games but am willing to provide feedback on any specific game. If you want me to play a PC racing game and I don't own it I will buy it just to tell you what it's like.

Yoritomo

Here's a list of changes that were made to the production wheels compared to the first run of test/review wheels. Given that my serial number is in the low double digits these are all items that are different from my wheel.

• Depth of holes on the base-side of the quick-release has been reduced. This eliminates any play on the quick-release mechanism because metal balls now have less play.
  • Dimensions of the base-side part of the quick-release have been slightly reduced to make the rims slide on and off more eaisly.
  • Layout of the PCBA inside the BMW M3 GT2 rim has been changed so that paddle shifter does not hit one of the elements if moved closer to the rim.
  • A shorter cable is now being used to connect quick release pins to the main PCBA inside the CSW base. This solves the issue where the same cable would rub against the main PCBA and produce unwanted noises.
  • A fixture has been added in production to eliminate any BMW badge alignment issues on the BMW M3 GT2 rim.
  • Springs and switches inside paddle shifter mechanisms have been changed for higher reliability.
  • Metal screw inserts are now used for shifter paddle attachment - increased reliability.
  • Grease is now used for lubrication of paddle shifter mechanisms instead of oil. This prevents potential problems with squeaking.
  • Belt drive is now better aligned and with optimized inner friction of the drive system.
  • Sequence of LED shift ligths on the BMW M3 GT2 rim has been changed to: YYY-RRR-BBB
  • Brightness of LED shift lights has been increased on both rims.
  • Type of Loctite on several screws has changed for easier disassembly.
  • Position sensor mount has been changed for better stability.
  • Due to problems with leaking, different bottles are now used for CSP V2 damper oil.

mclaren777

Well done, Yori!

My review probably won't be done until tomorrow because I want to experiment with the v129 driver some more before making an official declaration.

Yoritomo

I'll continue to post updates. I had to redo most of my testing after Firmware 31 came out and redo the force and speed tests.

The speed of the wheel actually gets faster after every firmware. (they explicitly stated that they changed the max motor speed with the firmware update prior to 31.)

Also I can't remember if I mentioned it in the article. There is very very little mechanical damping. I can spin the wheel freely. A solid toss and the wheel will spin 720 degrees.

What a piece of kit!

Hearing how it's smoothness enables the steering to just "melt away" really makes my wallet start to bark. It's what I imagined the high-end stuff to be like. Buttery.

Great write-up, great info. Sick wheel.

Got any video of it in use?

Yoritomo

What a piece of kit!

Hearing how it's smoothness enables the steering to just "melt away" really makes my wallet start to bark. It's what I imagined the high-end stuff to be like. Buttery.

Great write-up, great info. Sick wheel.

Got any video of it in use?

I won't have any until next week. I wanted to only review the very latest firmware, and we've only had 5 days or so with it.

1-D_FTW

Enjoyed the writeup. Looking forward to Mclaren's viedo review.

All in all sounds great, but a little too costly at full price for me. I'll revisit it if my modded G27 breaks down.

Yoritomo

There's a bunch more information I could give about FFB settings, Force, Damper, Etc, but so much about the firmware is in the air that I'm waiting.

One thing I can mention though is that Force is a newer setting on the wheel that works independently of FFB. It adjusts the angle of the linear force curve and any value above 100 makes the force curve steeper. You can set a value between off and 400. In some ways I wish the setting would also raise the floor of the FFB effects to make the more subtle effects stronger, but they've been actively changing it in each of the 3 firmwares we had available during testing and more are definitely to come.

One other exciting note is that in the latest firmware the Separate sequential shifter is actually hitting a different button than the paddle shifters. Previously It just mirrored the paddle shifter buttons. This makes it easier to have a quick handbrake without having to drive automatic in some racing games.

There are no sharp edges or problems with the stitching on either rim. I have to admit that 10 hours of full force feedback sim racing will cause some blisters. I had to take a day off from playing with the wheel to recover. The alcantara is soft, supple and smooth. The Gt rim in particular has some stiff padding beneath the alcantara. It makes me want to use the wheel in my real car. It's that comfortable.

Yoritomo

Any idea how the CSW/Formula rim compares to a CSRE with its lightweight (flimsy) rim in terms of speed and weight?

From f-wheel.com it looks to be just a smidge faster than the t500 in rotational speed, but slower than the CSW F1 wheel. I believe the driving mechanism of both wheels is basically the same, which means the test was done on old firmware and during this test fanatec proved they can increase the wheel speed with a firmware update. My guess is a similar firmware revision would put it even with the F1 rim CSW.

Yoritomo

Totally different to the Elite then, that's a shame.

I thought Fanatec was going to carry on releasing a single firmware for all wheels.

The individual wheels that connect to the CSW also have their own firmware. Based on the video of them using a pre-production CSW wheel with an audi rim one thing I would love is a dummy plug that allows you to mount a 6 bolt steering wheel.

Just a question about the aesthetics: Can the BMW-badge be removed and replaced with something else? Thinking about making my own Ferrari-badge since I'm not so much into BMWs and their logo looks boring to me.

Yoritomo

Just a question about the aesthetics: Can the BMW-badge be removed and replaced with something else? Thinking about making my own Ferrari-badge since I'm not so much into BMWs and their logo looks boring to me.

There's no obvious way to detach it, however if you took the face of the wheel off I'm sure there's a mechanism underneath the face plate that secures the badge. I haven't found anything on the wheels that can't be taken apart with some metric hex wrenches.

Thanks, might gonna try it.

One other question: If using this for consoles only would you rather recommend the CSR Elite since it also works with the Xbox 360 or should someone go with the CSW because it might have better internal electronics and greater selection of wheels. I mainly play GT5 but having a high quality wheel for Forza 4 wouldn't hurt.

I think the badge can be removed, I'm sure I saw somewhere yesterday, possibly on GT Planet that a beta wheel was sent without a badge and he got sent one later to attatch.

CSRE is a great wheel btw, I wouldn't mind a better quality rim but due to it's size and weight works well on most types of cars.

Yoritomo said:
The individual wheels that connect to the CSW also have their own firmware. Based on the video of them using a pre-production CSW wheel with an audi rim one thing I would love is a dummy plug that allows you to mount a 6 bolt steering wheel.

That's interesting, I hope it's not a security measure and Fanatec actually do something with it.

Yoritomo

I think the badge can be removed, I'm sure I saw somewhere yesterday, possibly on GT Planet that a beta wheel was sent without a badge and he got sent one later to attatch.

CSRE is a great wheel btw, I wouldn't mind a better quality rim but due to it's size and weight works well on most types of cars.

That's interesting, I hope it's not a security measure and Fanatec actually do something with it.

There is no FFB through the wheel if a steering wheel isn't attached. That's another downside. No third party rims. I'm sure someone could reverse engineer the firmware but for now it's out of the realm of DIY to make a custom rim unless they use the PCB from another one of the rims.

So that's a big drawback. We'll need to pressure Fanatec for a plug with a bolt pattern and basic firmware so we can use real automotive steering wheels with the CSW.

mclaren777

Overall, I thought this Fanatec hardware was fantastic. It added a whole new sense of realism that I haven't experienced with other wheel/pedal setups. It's as much of an improvement over the G27 as the G27 is over the DFGT. The problem is, it's four times the price of the G27, and for that reason alone, I can't recommend this to anybody but the most dedicated sim racers.

Video Review

fanatecspin.gif
fanatecslide.gif

1-D_FTW

Overall, I thought this Fanatec hardware was fantastic. It added a whole new sense of realism that I haven't experienced with other wheel/pedal setups. It's as much of an improvement over the G27 as the G27 is over the DFGT. The problem is, it's four times the price of the G27, and for that reason alone, I can't recommend this to anybody but the most dedicated sim racers.

Video Review

Good job. I can't tell though. Do you like it enough to keep it at 50 percent off, or are you sending it back?

I know you said earlier you wouldn't be selling it if you decided not to keep it (and I totally respect that), but I'm genuinely curious about whether you're keeping it.

DJ88

Video Review

fanatecspin.gif
fanatecslide.gif

I love you. Everytime Fanatec gives out these wheels to the community, almost all of the video reviews are shitty shaky cam or cell phone videos. I was waiting for someone with a nice camera, knowledge of lighting and camera angles to make a quality video review. You went way beyond that, beautifuly shot, major kudos man. I hope it gets the rounds on other sites and forums because this is how a video review should be done.

When it comes to the CSW, I've been following it since it was announced last year and it's great to finally see it in the wild. I can't afford one yet, but I hope to own one some day, it's a beautiful piece of hardware and has so much potential with all the wheel rims that will be released for it.

mclaren777

Good job. I can't tell though. Do you like it enough to keep it at 50 percent off, or are you sending it back?

While I would love to keep it, I think my wife might kill me if I bring it up. Plus, getting my money back makes going to the USGP this year more likely.

I was waiting for someone with a nice camera, knowledge of lighting and camera angles to make a quality video review. You went way beyond that, beautifuly shot, major kudos man. I hope it gets the rounds on other sites and forums because this is how a video review should be done.

Thanks for the kind words. Feel free to spread this around if you want.

What are the chances this will be compatible with next gen consoles?

I would be surprised if it didn't work for the PS4, but I doubt you'll ever be able to use this hardware with a Microsoft console.

What a beast!

It's even nicer than you realize.

i010CPj0j2CEm.jpg

Niks

Great reviews.

As others have said, this is drool worthy, but totally out of range. I do appreciate Fanatec for pushing hardware forwards, striving for realism.

Nice video review Mclaren.

mclaren777

Wait... the CSR Elite is XB360 compatible, is it not?

The CSRE is, but not the new CSW that we reviewed. I know they're similar, but they're not identical.

Edit: here are some questions I answered on the ISI forums...

1. Did you film it with a Canon 550/600D?

2. Did the wheel make RF2 feel more playable and intuitive to you?

3. With NKP did it have a large impact on the feel of the game?

4. Do you think the wheel after getting used to it would have a positive effect on your lap times?

1. Yes, my video review was filmed with a 550D. Good eye. :)

2. I don't think it massively improved rF2, though it did allow me to focus solely on my driving. The horrible curb rattle in my G27 causes me to intentionally not use all of the road because I hate how it sounds/feels. With the Fanatec hardware, I was able to just drive without worrying about such things.

3. Yes. NKP felt better than I've ever experienced. Those two clips near the end of the review (7:44-8:28) are 1/2 of one lap of Crema with both the CSW and the G27. It was much easier to catch slides with the quicker CSW and the braking experience was significantly better with the Fanatec pedals. NKP was the biggest improvement of any game I played during this test. Everything just felt perfect.

4. It fluctuates game to game. I spend most of my time in rF2 and my lap times didn't improve with the CSW even given the added "carelessness" of being able to use the curbs. Same goes for RBR – no meaningful improvement. But NKP definitely felt better and I'm sure this hardware allowed me to shave 0.5 seconds from my quickest G27 laps.

Yoritomo

Very solid camera work and setup for your review McLaren.

What software did you use to edit the video? Oh and if you make it to the USGP I'll be in the turn 2 grandstand.

markao

Thanks for the reviews guys!

Add me to the camp of would love to have one, but right now do not have the funds to make that happen :(

Truespeed

Nice review, although I'm just wondering about your comment about whether it's worth the money or not. From a time perspective, does the Fanatec setup actually improve your lap times over a G27? If so, that alone would probably make it worth the extra cost to some. It would be nice to see a lap time comparison between the Fanatec and Logitech wheels and their impact on lap times. Also, I'm not a big fan of FF and like to dial it down as much as possible so is it possible to adjust the FF to where you can still mildly feel it and not have it violently react (as it did driving the Red Bull super car in GT5) or simply turn it off?

Yoritomo

Nice review, although I'm just wondering about your comment about whether it's worth the money or not. From a time perspective, does the Fanatec setup actually improve your lap times over a G27? If so, that alone would probably make it worth the extra cost to some. It would be nice to see a lap time comparison between the Fanatec and Logitech wheels and their impact on lap times. Also, I'm not a big fan of FF and like to dial it down as much as possible so is it possible to adjust the FF to where you can still mildly feel it and not have it violently react (as it did driving the Red Bull super car in GT5) or simply turn it off?

It's easy to dial to a level you want. When firmware is final you'll be able to mix and match that with damper and spring setting to get exactly what you want out of the wheel.

I haven't done a time comparison. But the fanatec has another big thing going for it. The wheel position is calculated at a hub connected directly to the wheel. On other consumer wheels the wheel position is calculated at the end of the FFB motor shaft. You have more direct control with the CSW than pretty much any other wheel. One other item to note is that there's also about 16 ms from FFB instruction from the computer to first movement that can be read by the position sensor in the wheel. The G27 has about a 10 ms delay but has it's sensor directly on the motor. Dunno if any of the additional time to first move is due to where the sensor is but it's a possibility

mrklaw

MrArseFace

But he already recommended it to 'some' - dedicated sim racers. I'd probably add in 'people who have shitloads of disposable cash and want an improved racing experience’

Truespeed

But he already recommended it to 'some' - dedicated sim racers. I'd probably add in 'people who have shitloads of disposable cash and want an improved racing experience’

Sure, from a component quality perspective and whether you have the disposable cash to spend on it. But, I want to know whether it's worth it from a timing perspective. I'd like to know the delta between the Fanatec and Logitech wheels to show how these superior components actually translate to better times. I'm sure they do, but it would be interesting to know the impact.

Top Bottom