• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fanfiction: Do you think Ubisoft could have made a better CyberPunk 2077 than CDPR if given the same time and budget?

Who would you have preferred make 2077 between the two?

• CDPR

Votes: 109 63.4%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 63 36.6%

• Total voters

Spaceman292

Banned
gHnFUHefAYPwo2LMksvMpa.jpg

Looks quite ubisoft to me.
But every yellow mark represents an interesting and unique little episode that's been made with care and attention. Ubi games can't say the same.

I think Ubisoft could make a good cyberpunk game. I actually really enjoyed Watch Dogs 2 and would love if they did a darker/more serious cyberpunk game. Legion doesn't count.

but I think CDPR is the perfect fit for Cyberpunk 2077. sure the game has flaws but it's by no means a terrible game. I can't see Ubisoft writing a emotional story with characters to care about. Also CDPR does side quests way better.

cdpr don't have the experience that Ubisoft does but have still done a good job. All CDPR has done up until 2020 was Witcher games. They had to go from swords, magic spells, and horses to guns, hacking, cars/bikes. Night City as a map is unlike anything they've ever done before as well. It's crazy how big and detailed it is. The first two Witcher games were very linear with only small areas/set pieces to explore. Witcher 3 was their first open world game and that was a huuuge map spread out with lots of open/empty space. Night City is smaller but built vertically.

I'm sure the expansions will add some interesting stuff and of course the sequel game will be better cause they'll take what they learned and do better. Go look at the difference between Witcher 1 and 2. I hope that's the kind of improvement we get with "Cyberpunk 2134".

Last edited:

Flabagast

I think Ubisoft could make a good cyberpunk game. I actually really enjoyed Watch Dogs 2 and would love if they did a darker/more serious cyberpunk game. Legion doesn't count.

but I think CDPR is the perfect fit for Cyberpunk 2077. sure the game has flaws but it's by no means a terrible game. I can't see Ubisoft writing a emotional story with characters to care about. Also CDPR does side quests way better.

cdpr don't have the experience that Ubisoft does but have still done a good job. All CDPR has done up until 2020 was Witcher games. They had to go from swords, magic spells, and horses to guns, hacking, cars/bikes. Night City as a map is unlike anything they've ever done before as well. It's crazy how big and detailed it is. The first two Witcher games were very linear with only small areas/set pieces to explore. Witcher 3 was their first open world game and that was a huuuge map spread out with lots of open/empty space. Night City is smaller but built vertically.

I'm sure the expansions will add some interesting stuff and of course the sequel game will be better cause they'll take what they learned and do better. Go look at the difference between Witcher 1 and 2. I hope that's the kind of improvement we get with "Cyberpunk 2134".
Yeah I don't recall Ubisoft (or anyone for that matter) making a urban map nearly as impressive as Night City.

The density and verticality is truly insane, just layers on top of layers with people, car, roads, bridges everywhere.

I like Ubisoft games. I have played through all the Far Cry's, the First two Watch Dogs, Almost all the Assassins Creed games. But I would still rather have a CDPR developed game. The thing is I cannot remember ever playing a Ubisoft game that was as good as Witcher 2 or 3. I know what CDPR is capable of, and I still think in a few years we will look back at CyberPunk 2077 as a pretty damned good game, its just really unfortunate they tried to squeeze as much money out of it as they could by releasing at the tail end of the generation and having to get it to work on the shittiest gaming CPUs possible. If they would have focused on a next gen + PC version only they would have likely been able to get the game into a much more polished state, plus a delay by another year would have been just fine.

Zannegan

Only if you want sanitized, low-effort, cookie-cutter filler with only the veneer of anything "cyberpunk." In most cases, I'd rather play something clunky and ambitous/interesting than hyper-polished and flat. Ubi controls and the priority they give to their medeocre animations are also frustrating as hell, IMO.

Of course, you can have polish and ambition, but if you put a gun to my head, I can think of few competent studios I'd pick Ubisoft over for any game of any genre.

Amiga

CDPR is a young organization that had it's 1st problem with CP2077.

Ubisoft are an old organization that had it's problem games like Haze/AC:U. and no matter the technical polish all Ubisoft games since FC2/AC2 are borefests. anything Ubisoft is an automatic NO for me.

Pagusas

Elden Member
All this hate for UBI, yet I’m enjoying the hell out of AC Odyssey right now :(. Doesn’t feel soulless at all

Last edited:

MrTentakel

Ubisoft stands for recycled trash but never forget some of the all time classics like Far Cry Blood Dragon and Rayman Legends!

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Well considering most people who are critical of the game are so because it takes the Ubisoft approach to questing and not a real interactive world.. I would say no.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I know it’s “cool” to hate on CDPR right now, but bland uninspiring design, meets boring characters, and endless grinding is what Ubisoft does. All it takes to impress people is a big map apparently.

where did this sudden love affair with Ubisoft and AC come from lately? And why the comparisons with CDPR?

Last edited:

Denton

Cyberpunk 2077 on PC is a better game than anything Ubisoft produced since Splinter Cell 3. And I actually like many of Ubisoft's modern games and intend to play FC6 on day one.

WitchHunter

Let me preface by saying I know this is totally random, and that Ubisoft is not everyone's favourite developer (neither is CDPR post Cyberpunk), but if I could see anyone else doing a game like 2077, it would be them. Let's face it.... Rockstar, Sony studios, Nintendo or anyone else you think has the open world chops to make this game happen already have their priorities, and let's be clear, Cyberpunk is nothing more than an open world action game with light RPG elements and nigh every AAA publisher is doing those these days.

Question: If Ubisoft were commissioned to the project and given the same budget and time to create the game (300 million dollars, 9 years), do you think what they could have created would have surpassed CDPR's efforts?
It was up to Cyberpunk's head honcho (Mike Pondsmith) to decide who will make the game. And he decided that CDPR had the big, polished steel balls to make it roll. CDPR created a campsite and gave serenade every day for 1 full year... according to well vetted sources.

Last edited:
They (Ubisoft) will NEVER EVER EVER greenlight Panam, Judy and even Rogue in game models as is. The only character Ubi ever made that was attractive is and always will be Kasandra. And sex scene? Ha, cant even address proper political commentary in their games you want good tasteful sex scenes.

bargeparty

Yeah I don't recall Ubisoft (or anyone for that matter) making a urban map nearly as impressive as Night City.

The density and verticality is truly insane, just layers on top of layers with people, car, roads, bridges everywhere.

It would be foolish to think Ubisoft couldn't do something similar. Their open world games have just been more focused on spawling landscapes and large maps. I have no doubt they could create a smaller, denser, futuristic world.

Don't forget the previous CDPR games weren't nearly as dense and didn't have a modern setting.

Guilty_AI

Nope, and i honestly can't think of a studio that would've made something better.
Maybe Larian could've been a good fit, but they don't really have the experience nor the resources to make something like this. Rockstar makes some of the worst game design choices i've seen which wouldn't fit in a RPG, Ubi games are just as bland and generic as they can be, Xbox and Sony have their own agenda when making games and likely wouldn't even try to make it properly.

In the end CDPR was the best fit, and its also worth mentioning they're one of the few big studios that openly support modding, which can do wonders in covering the stuf they themselves can't do well. I just think they should've gone the early access route.

Last edited:

vpance

Just ask yourself which other well known dev could’ve messed it up worse? It’s nearly impossible to fathom.

I'm no expert but even I can tell that things gone wrong with CP2077 has nothing to do with lack of resource and man power, to me that's BS excuse. There are AA devs who barely have half the resource CPR has and still managed to make proper game.

In a way it was, because they were too ambitious for their own skill level and team size. But yes that doesn’t excuse their incompetence, especially in the game’s project management. If they set realistic goals from the start maybe they would’ve ended up making a linear game or something closer to Mankind Divided.

The world is still somewhat impressively designed and beautiful at times. That’s where most of their effort went to. The game they marketed was essentially a deep RPG CP version of GTA. Rockstar themselves would’ve needed at least 6 years and a massive team to pull it off. CDPR tried to do it in basically half the time with 500 devs.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ubisoft’s problems are their games are too fat, Ocarina of Time is less than 500 mb has less side quests and feels 1000000000x bigger than any Ubisoft game ever.

brian0057

Banned
If you wanna know what a Ubisoft-made Cyberpunk 2077, just look in the direction of Watch_Dogs: Legion.
Either way, I'll just stick to Deus Ex and Shadowrun for proper Cyberpunk RPG experiences.

Last edited:

xiseerht

Honestly , If CDPR asked someone else to do Cyberpunk 2077 part 2 . I would have that group that did The Ascent and Respawn. team up for it. Since we are doing fan fiction. The Ascent has an amazing Cyberpunk world. They really get it. And Respawn can do the big EPIC side of it.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
It's gonna be even more cringy and have more "badass" characters than the Cyberpunk we have now.
Ubisoft outclasses everyone when it comes to shitty writing.

(I'm not saying that CDPR's writing is shitty)

Last edited:

tusharngf

Ubisoft lacks good management people. They need more creative people in their higher ops. I stopped playing ubi games now. Last game that got me hooked was oddessey and after that its all same bullshit.

MadPanda

Banned
Question: If Ubisoft were commissioned to the project and given the same budget and time to create the game (300 million dollars, 9 years), do you think what they could have created would have surpassed CDPR's efforts?
Cyberpunk full production wasn't 5 years, it was half the time.

Armorian

Banned
Not really, no. And I'm a fan of some Ubisoft games and franchises.

I completed CP2077 and was blown away by quality of some main and side quests (and all activity in general has some story to it), last time I felt that with W3. I also completed WDL and ACV recently.. WDL is straight trash and worst in the series in every aspect and Valhalla is like a collection of medicore side quests. This game starts to get boring fast and you have to put more than 50h into it. It's easily the worst of "new" (started with Origins) RPG focused games in the series.

Ubi can't do shit at this point and they are sending AC franchise to hell...

Rockstar make games great in city/world aspect but with nothing to do outside main quest and shit gameplay.

CDPR failed in technical aspects of the game...

There is no developer that can fully pull game of this scope without flaws.

wipeout364

The original post is not really being honest in his question. The question is not whether ubisoft would make a better cyberpunk, because they wouldn't; they would make a different game. I don't think anyone on here has any problems at all knowing exactly what the ubisoft cyberpunk would be. If you have been playing ubisoft games since the 360/PS3 era you would know exactly what the game would be. So the question really becomes would you want another ubisoft cut and paste game with the cyberpunk skin slapped on it, that would lose all edginess, have a narrative that is complete garbage and promote ubisoft's brand of politics. Personally I would not want that and I do play a decent amount of ubisoft games, but I can already play ubisoft version of cyberpunk because all their games have the same structure.

intbal

Maybe Pondsmith's involvement would've helped, but more likely not.
Microsoft brought him on to serve as one of the lead designers for Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge. After a lot of time and money, they judged that he was taking the game in the wrong direction. It's been fifteen years since I watched the documentary, but, if I remember correctly the game he was making was all story and cinematics, very little gameplay. They removed him from the team and basically started over. What resulted after that was one of the best games in the Xbox library.
Pondsmith is fantastic at what he does, but he's not a video game developer. I don't think CP2077 would have been improved by giving him more control.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Oh god. While I think the game would probably run more functionally, I think it would still be some reskinned AC or Far Cry with bland story arcs and characters. 🤪

junguler

Banned
even cdpr could've made a better cyberpunk if they didn't over-promise, get our hopes up that much and had some respect for themselves and the source material and didn't rush to release a broken game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The gameplay in CP2077 is one of the least ambitious FPS/RPG games I've ever played.

It's probably best to just let a mediocre game exist on its own. and not overthink it

But based on the FarCry series, I'd say that Ubisoft would have done a better job.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Overall yes. The world design in Watch Dogs 2 is among the best. They would at least got the Ai right, things to do in the actual world, etc.

Ubisoft's output for the last 10 years or so is extremely predictible... The game would have been a reskinned FarCry/Assassing Creed. but at least it would have worked.

Fbh

Ubisoft could have released a game with a cybepunk setting in a shorter amount of time, with less delays, more polish and decent performance on last gen consoles from day 1.
But it would have just been a reskin of their boring and soulless formula, probably way too long and bloated, with the same terrible story as all their games, and probably some forced woke elements too.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

If Ubisoft developed this game it will be a slightly more polished and better open world, with worse art direction and soundtrack, and with shitty quests and characters. So for me i will strongly disagree.

Last edited:

Rikkori

It's funny you say that because both Valhalla & Legion came out just before 2077 and I had way more technical issues with both of them than I did with Cyberpunk. At one point Legion was even bricking Xboxes but people just glossed over that. That's why I look at all the outrage surrounding CP2077 and see it's 99% feigned because none of those people peeped a word when they played through the Ubi releases even when they ran headlong into worse issues. Hell, so much of Valhalla was still broken even 6 months after release as far as the big city assaults go, nevermind all sorts of other issues.

Ubi seems to have peaked with Odyssey imo, everything else in the past 2 years seems to have been pretty busted (Valhalla, Breakpoint, Legion, Hyperscape, etc.)

The disrespect. Cyberpunk 2077 even with its issues is still one of the best games released in years. It just lacked specific kinds of polish, but it was an incredible game. Few games recently feel nearly as good in combat as Cyberpunk does. The options for combat are just so great.

Top Bottom