• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans aim to make sure Dinosaur Planet lives on through animated series

maxcriden

I really would not have imagined there would be interest or demand for this, but I will say Dinosaur Planet/Star Fox Adventures had a pretty lush and inventive world.

Rareware was gone while Nintendo made money off what was left of the masterpiece called Dinosaur Planet. Nearly 1/2 of the original content was cut and the storyline of Starfox Adventures is a plothole ridden mess.

The story of Rareware's last game is not forgotten, even after many years had passed and now we are here to pay tribute to one of the greatest gaming mysteries of all time.

tumblr_n788maI9eJ1sur7bwo1_1280.png

Concept art, voice casting info:

http://dinoplanetfanseries.tumblr.com/

Via:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/248637-...osaur-planet-lives-on-through-animated-series

Purchase a Bafmodad if old.

Not to put down the project, because I am interested, but it sounds to me like they're really overstating value and loss of Dinosaur Planet.

One of the greatest gaming mysteries of all time? :/

Kyari

Not to put down the project, because I am interested, but it sounds to me like they're really overstating value and loss of Dinosaur Planet.

Pretty much came here to post this. I don't feel like Dinosaur Planet is considered, by anyone, to be gaming's greatest mystery/lost gem.

Also is there anything to this other than a group of people talking grand picture on Tumblr while posting pencil drawings of characters? Even if they can/do animate it, it will get a C&D as soon as it makes any headway.

The art style of that Ducky picture made me think immediately of furry fanart. Now I'm about to Rule 34 on The Land Before Time...

Xav

The game before Starfox Adventures sounded amazing. What could've been....

Wasn't StarFox Adventures and Dinosaur Planet just the same game with a skin swap, lazy arwing sections and a bate & switch final boss?

lv81ucD.jpg

Wasn't StarFox Adventures just Dinosaur Planet just the same game with a skin swap, lazy arwing sections and a bate & switch final boss?

lv81ucD.jpg

Krystal was the original protagonist as well, as one trailer indicates. It may have moved to the Fox-like closer to the Star Fox rebranding though.

Wasn't StarFox Adventures and Dinosaur Planet just the same game with a skin swap, lazy arwing sections and a bate & switch final boss?

lv81ucD.jpg

Definitely not. People have data mined the Star Fox Adventures disc, and the file that contains all of the game's dialog (Gametext.bin) contains a significant amount of stuff left over from Dinosaur Planet.

What ended up in Star Fox Adventures was vastly simplified. There's rumors that Nintendo was arbitrarily strict with what they'd let Rare do with Fox, so it seems like almost the entire game was re-written.

Plus, I mean, you spend that entire game chasing down and trying to stop General Scales and you never actually fight him.

More recently, a prototype for Star Fox Adventures was apparently uncovered and may actually contain a significant portion of Dinosaur Planet's data -- unplayable, of course, because it's neither compatible with Gamecube or Nintendo 64 emulators. Apparently Dinosaur Planet originally began its life as Diddy Kong Racing 2 (or at least, this prototype contains N64-formatted textures that appear to be for a Diddy Kong Racing 2).

Some of that information is archived here: https://tcrf.net/Star_Fox_Adventures

The rest of it is all contained in a big thread on the unofficial TCRF forums. I don't remember the URL right now, though, so you'll have to find it on your own.

Xav

Definitely not. People have data mined the Star Fox Adventures disc, and the file that contains all of the game's dialog (Gametext.bin) contains a significant amount of stuff left over from Dinosaur Planet.

What ended up in Star Fox Adventures was vastly simplified. There's rumors that Nintendo was arbitrarily strict with what they'd let Rare do with Fox, so it seems like almost the entire game was re-written.

Plus, I mean, you spend that entire game chasing down and trying to stop General Scales and you never actually fight him.

More recently, a prototype for Star Fox Adventures was apparently uncovered and may actually contain a significant portion of Dinosaur Planet's data -- unplayable, of course, because it's neither compatible with Gamecube or Nintendo 64 emulators. Apparently Dinosaur Planet originally began its life as Diddy Kong Racing 2 (or at least, this prototype contains N64-formatted textures that appear to be for a Diddy Kong Racing 2).

Some of that information is archived here: https://tcrf.net/Star_Fox_Adventures

The rest of it is all contained in a big thread on the unofficial TCRF forums. I don't remember the URL right now, though, so you'll have to find it on your own.

Sounds interesting. I'll look into it. Thank you.

drspeedy

If Nintendo wants to get into media again, this isn't all that bad. Seriously.

Say you're Ninty: you can potentially seriously dilute or harm a core franchises with a bad (or even mediocre) effort, or you go tangential and leverage a small but loyal group of fans and, if the writing and animation is well done, possibly reach people who would never be normally interested in a Mario, Zelda or other geek-culture branded product.

It's gotta be better than Sonic regardless.

I agree that the IP has potential. I mean it's got fucking dinosaurs!

To me what Nintendo should do, is either get Retro on a reboot or Playtonic to attempt at finishing what they started. Depending on if Sabre (the original MC) is owned by Nintendo (they own the IP, just depends if Sabre is included even if he was never used), if not, then just make Krystal the main character. Would be a cool opportunity for a new female lead also, and to give her a "home" as a way to split the IP from Fox.

I always saw Dinosaur Planet as a distant DK spin-pff, one because it did start out as Diddy Kong Racing 2, but also it's the only other Rareware creation Nintendo owns aside from the world they created for DK.

HEY, remember people wanted Retro on a Zelda-spinoff? THERE YOU GO! :p

The very least, Tricky should be an official DK character because he's at least the successor to the DKR original (he WAS the original in the game's original conception).

I also thought that General Scales and the Sharpclaw would make an awesome secondary clan alongside K. Rool and the Kremlings. Sort of like Bowser and Wart if Nintendo ever bothered using Wart.

Hell you got a fucking DK game right there, have DK BE in Dinosaur Planet, holy shit that could work!

Go Jungle Beat on a fucking T-Rex, you know you want it.

Top Bottom