• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans of the Nintendo Switch: What are some things you don't like about it?

Corgi1985

Banned
No Bluetooth audio without dock.

Joycon drift

No theme support without homebrew

Joycons are borderline useless for FPS games like Doom, Wolfenstein pointless in my opinion

Kickstand is one of the most unusual Nintendo things I've seen ever. Never seen Nintendo release something so flimsy.

And then theres the games. First 2- 3 years went well and then Nintendo stopped trying.
The original DS was a better designed system with more features

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Quite funny how many of us recognize so many fundamental issues that when addressed not only extremely alleviate but would make the Switch a historically recognized console our children would be talking about..

So if we forum dwelling peasants can see this why can't Nintendo?

Pro tip:

We, as Nintendo fans from the early days, who stuck with Nintendo throughout the years are not their primary focus at all.. Sure they know about us and give us scraps when convenient but that's it; their focus is elsewhere.

Sad fucking shit

Last edited:

cireza

Worst offender are the ergonomics.

The fact that the games are not optimized at all for handheld display is another thing that annoys me.

Games that perform badly.

As long as you filter the games you play accordingly, the console is alright.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I mean, I’d really like some updated hardware.

But more realistically, the joy-cons feel very cheap and flimsy. Build quality is probably my biggest issue. Luckily I play almost always in docked mode with a Pro Controller but the few times I’ve played with the Joy-Cons it feels like dogshit.

93xfan

Banned
Low output from Nintendo. Other then Odyssey there isnt a single Switch exclusive worth it atm.

BotW, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Mario 3D world are worth the upgrade, IMO.

For exclusives, I’d add in Smash Ultimate, Mario Maker 2 and Yoshi’s Crafted World. All great experiences

mcjmetroid

Quite funny how many of us recognize so many fundamental issues that when addressed not only extremely alleviate but would make the Switch a historically recognized console our children would be talking about..

So if we forum dwelling peasants can see this why can't Nintendo?

Pro tip:

We, as Nintendo fans from the early days, who stuck with Nintendo throughout the years are not their primary focus at all.. Sure they know about us and give us scraps when convenient but that's it; their focus is elsewhere.

Sad fucking shit
I woudnt be so sure about that. A lot of us would be buying these systems for our kids and such. If us nerdy Nintendo fans don't see the value on a new system then we're not gonna buy it from our kids.

The WiiiU was aimed at the casual market and they shat on it. The hardcore shat on it too.

The hardcore fan is essential for getting a new Nintendo system off the ground. I feel like Nintendo know this by now.

I think they will launch every system strong from now on and then a year or two later if it's a big success well withdraw support.

They did this for the Wii and they're now doing it for the Switch.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I woudnt be so sure about that. A lot of us would be buying these systems for our kids and such. If us nerdy Nintendo fans don't see the value on a new system then we're not gonna buy it from our kids.

The WiiiU was aimed at the casual market and they shat on it. The hardcore shat on it too.

The hardcore fan is essential for getting a new Nintendo system off the ground. I feel like Nintendo know this by now.

I think they will launch every system strong from now on and then a year or two later if it's a big success well withdraw support.

I'm setting beside the fact of an eventual (sure fire) succes. Said succes is probably the sole reason for the way Nintendo has been lacking in the eyes of devout gamers. So many obvious errors which only the *hardcore* can see. Again, those *hardcore* are but an afterthought for a while now.

Who really cares about what's really possible to achieve when the many will be more than happy with a smidge. Sure, I wouldn't care at all if this was about Ubisoft but it's Nintendo we're talking about here.. JFC.

Last edited:
I forgot how terrible the joy cons are to hold, I always use a Pro controller but had to go back to them for SS HD and they suck over long sessions, and sideways they are AWFUL.

You should get a Sony next time if you want better upscaling of 1080p and below content, it shouldn't look terrible. I'm only saying this to you because I hear that a lot and it often turns out they are LG owners: "I can't watch 1080p and below anymore, it looks crap".

Skyward Sword looks great at 1080p on my TV, of course I wish it was 4K like you can do in emulators but ycagwyw.
I recall the last time I had DVDs I used some HD Samsung BlueRay drive to watch them and the upscaling made them look horrible... however, when I put the same disc in my PS4 (or PS3, it was a while ago) the thing upscaled them so well it was at least pleasing to look at them.

I say this to emphasize that Sony devices definitely have great upscaling, I don't know how other companies do it now, they may have caught up... but that was striking at the time.

I'm setting beside the fact of an eventual (sure fire) succes. Said succes is probably the sole reason for the way Nintendo has been lacking in the eyes of devout gamers. So many obvious errors which only the *hardcore* can see. Again, those *hardcore* are but an afterthought for a while now.
I am no Nintendo fan, have not hany of their hardware since the OG Wii. That being said, their games require a lot of skills, so saying they don't address a hardcore audience seems unfair to me. They do target a more "family friendly" audience, but it does not mean their games are not "hardcore" in some sense.

Kuranghi

I recall the last time I had DVDs I used some HD Samsung BlueRay drive to watch them and the upscaling made them look horrible... however, when I put the same disc in my PS4 (or PS3, it was a while ago) the thing upscaled them so well it was at least pleasing to look at them.

I say this to emphasize that Sony devices definitely have great upscaling, I don't know how other companies do it now, they may have caught up... but that was striking at the time.

They'd had the best upscaling and motion algorithm for years now, nothing comes close, especially for difficult content. Must be a deal with the devil:

Child Devil GIF

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I am no Nintendo fan, have not hany of their hardware since the OG Wii. That being said, their games require a lot of skills, so saying they don't address a hardcore audience seems unfair to me. They do target a more "family friendly" audience, but it does not mean their games are not "hardcore" in some sense

I meant hardcore as in day one fans that are frustrated and disillusioned with the absence of a full Nintendio library, availability of WiiU ports from the get go, and general negligence in regards to it's *hardcore* AKA lifelong supporting fanbase wishes.

Their target audience is most likely the cause, but not because its family friendly, but because it's focus (while still staying true to their origins) shifted towards their more appealing/money making IP's. Their fundamental core business based philosophy atm will not gratify the needs of many of us and that's stating the obvious. Saying your happy with the current way is saying you're happy with a handful IP's and tolerating so so sequels on underpowered hardware which sole intention was to speak to as large a consumer base as possible.
And even then it's lackluster in it's final form.

I love my Switch but let's get real

Last edited:

Amory

there's a lot, tbh.

i think nintendo first party software, outside of a select few franchises, is pretty much trash nowadays. their games have become too dumbed down and generally have very little depth. This isn't going to get better anytime soon because people generally seem to like Nintendo's new direction, so i guess i'm an outlier. Plus first party games never get a significant price drop, so you're always paying a premium for what usually feels like half a game

I don't like that i need to keep track of several random pieces of plastic to play multiplayer games. if we're each using 1 joycon i can never find the slide-on plastic pieces with the buttons on them. if i'm going to use the joycon controller and my wife is going to use the pro controller, i can never find the joycon controller adapter.

I don't like the joycon buttons. they're too hard and clicky and the triggers aren't analog. i also had the joycon drift issue and had to send them in for repairs

the battery life isn't great

the online infrastructure is a joke, and the $20/year online subscription doesn't offer enough benefit to bother with it, except you don't have a choice if you want access to the new "virtual console" type experience

FStubbs

They always did this on handheld. The reasoning is first party software establishes the system and then they let third parties make money on the downswing.

One of the reasons Wii U failed was because 3DS failed at launch and Nintendo had to prop it up far longer than the year or two they planned.

Mozza

Been lucky so far with no drift on my pro-controller or joycon's, my main things were a slightly better/bigger screen, and would have loved themes and folders for the home screen and some more unique official joycon options, like console themed for example, and a messaging system for for friends, apart from that been very happy.

I have pre-ordered an OLED model so some of that is taken care of, but still want those themes and folders.

Last edited:

Mozza

do you keep your switch in a closet?

fucking blame me like it’s my fault for playing videogames on a videogame machine 😃
It's all your fault for daring to play video games on it. ;)

Joking aside not had any issues as yet, I still feel dust can be an issue with this, so I have mine docked only when I am playing in T.V mode, I have a USB-C cable for charging and have the Switch in a case, when not playing/charging, I also keep all my spare joycon's and Pro controller in a draw when not in use.

Last edited:
I meant hardcore as in day one fans that are frustrated and disillusioned with the absence of a full Nintendio library, availability of WiiU ports from the get go, and general negligence in regards to it's *hardcore* AKA lifelong supporting fanbase wishes.

Their target audience is most likely the cause, but not because its family friendly, but because it's focus (while still staying true to their origins) shifted towards their more appealing/money making IP's. Their fundamental core business based philosophy atm will not gratify the needs of many of us and that's stating the obvious. Saying your happy with the current way is saying you're happy with a handful IP's and tolerating so so sequels on underpowered hardware which sole intention was to speak to as large a consumer base as possible.
And even then it's lackluster in it's final form.

I had been a hardcore Nintendo fan since my youth, the NES has been a passion of mine and I owned all Nintendo consoles up to the Wii (only the GBA in the portables). Anyway, I jumped off of the bandwagon a while ago because I feel they don't make games "for me", or at least not enough, and they will not make the console an enticing place to play third party titles (xbox has that, but nothing else either). So for people like me, those who dropped out but would rather have Mario and Zelda than Halo and Forza, Nintendo has not made enough to keep us engaged.

At the same time, given how well the Switch is selling I can see how they get the signal that they made the right choices.

nerdface

Banned
It's all your fault for daring to play video games on it. ;)

Joking aside not had any issues as yet, I still feel dust can be an issue with this, so I have mine docked only when I am playing in T.V mode, I have a USB-C cable for charging and have the Switch in a case, when not playing/charging, I also keep all my spare joycon's and Pro controller in a draw when not in use.

dust?... so if it's not my fault for playing videogames, I have a dirty house 💩

im just gonna let that one slide

Corgi1985

Banned
there's a lot, tbh.

i think nintendo first party software, outside of a select few franchises, is pretty much trash nowadays. their games have become too dumbed down and generally have very little depth. This isn't going to get better anytime soon because people generally seem to like Nintendo's new direction, so i guess i'm an outlier. Plus first party games never get a significant price drop, so you're always paying a premium for what usually feels like half a game

I don't like that i need to keep track of several random pieces of plastic to play multiplayer games. if we're each using 1 joycon i can never find the slide-on plastic pieces with the buttons on them. if i'm going to use the joycon controller and my wife is going to use the pro controller, i can never find the joycon controller adapter.

I don't like the joycon buttons. they're too hard and clicky and the triggers aren't analog. i also had the joycon drift issue and had to send them in for repairs

the battery life isn't great

the online infrastructure is a joke, and the $20/year online subscription doesn't offer enough benefit to bother with it, except you don't have a choice if you want access to the new "virtual console" type experience
I wish there was a badge for good opinions about nintendo

nerdface

Banned
See it's not a total waste of your time on here after all. ;)

nintendo should employ your tactic in all the class action lawsuits

"your honor... may i present to you, the filth and squalor of our customer base in its entirety..."

Last edited:

Mozza

nintendo should employ your tactic in all the class action lawsuits

"your honor... may i present to you, the filth and squalor of our customer base in its entirety..."
Yes it's clear as day to me your honor, these guys are treating their hardware like shit. ;)
C6lNOmK.jpg

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Everything that’s missing from the Wii U:
-UI with more features
-Miiverse
-Access to virtual console

The Switch lacks personality. A lot of its appeal is superficial. Oh boy, colorful joy-cons. Whoopee!

Last edited:

Mozza

Everything that’s missing from the Wii U:
-UI with more features
-Miiverse
-Access to virtual console

The Switch lacks personality. A lot of its appeal is superficial. Oh boy, colorful joy-cons. Whoopee!
I am glad the Switch missed out on all that Wii U appeal. :)

Last edited:

Hugare

Here’s the thing about adding ergonomics… now you’re adding depth/size to the thing. It’s basically just a thin(ish) tablet with round corners.

I mean, the switch isn’t comfortable, but your hands get used to it if you play long enough.

I’m gonna get a Steam Deck, but you will never see me in public with it. It’s enormous. Goudy. Thick. Like the nerds who play it when dad has the tv.
No, my hands dont get used to it if I play long enough. Pain is the only result from long plays. Its just badly designed. Never had a problem with any other controller, and I've been gaming since SNES.

And you already look like a dork playing with your Switch in public, dont need a Deck for that

nerdface

Banned
No, my hands dont get used to it if I play long enough. Pain is the only result from long plays. Its just badly designed. Never had a problem with any other controller, and I've been gaming since SNES.

And you already look like a dork playing with your Switch in public, dont need a Deck for that

maybe a good idea would be a seperate ergonomic sku with bigger comfortable joycons

my hands don't hurt from using it anymore, unless i play with them above my heart , laying down... an hour of that and they do fall asleep

Umbasaborne

Banned
I wish it was just a tad more powerful, though nintendo are good at optimising for the software. And as other users have stated, bluetooth headset support would be the tits. I also wish they gave more of a shit about their classic library. No reason for n64 and gameboy games to remain unavailible

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Just recently Crysis Remastered. Should have been called Demastered because everything looks about 10 times worse. I noticed the drift because I’d just swing to the right at odd random times. It didn’t do that to me with Monster Hunter Rise and a lot of games. It’s great to have around and I really enjoy playing Resident Evil and DOOM on there. Some games like Astral Chain and so forth look good, but it doesn’t get better. If anything the next game might look worse. Having Final Fantasy VIII Remastered and Devil May Cry 3 SE on the go is great, but they aren’t recent games. I have a better time playing older games and newer Nintendo titles on there. I’m shocked it only has 4 GB of RAM. It’s a great console, but also disappointing. I recently launched Skyward Sword HD and it didn’t look that great. I was expecting more. Link’s Awakening looked phenomenal, but it felt like it was maxing the console out in some weird way. I also agree about the Bluetooth. My Vita can connect to my Air Pods. I can’t believe my Switch can’t.

I'll take a look.
Severed was originally a Vita exclusive. It's made by the same guys that made Guacamelee. It's a dungeon crawler where the combat is basically exclusively touch based "slicing".

It was actually pretty cool. It can only be played in handheld mode for obvious reasons (which is likely why you don't see many Switch games make a lot of use out of the touch screen).

I honestly think it looks like a lovely device, but to me specifically as a home console it's flawed (if I was to get one I would need to get the PRO controller if I was ever to be satisfied, then it's pretty weak compared to other home consoles).

As a portable device it's tempting, if only for the kids to play something else than the tabled / phone games (which my kids don't like that much)... I don't game on portable devices (I bought the GBA, DS, PSP and Vita... never got much use for them).

Anyway, the thread is not for me, I will let the hardcore decide amongst themselves.

93xfan

Banned
Almost forgot the crap store with no ratings and 800+ games on sale every week that make it difficult to find the quality sales.

MagnesG

Banned
What I don't like are mostly the obvious one. Joycon drifts, eshop experience, esports ready environments and the NSO catalogue not because of the price but it's potential being wasted.

Then again, even if I could have more minor complaints included if I'm being critical, I always make do because I'm enjoying the games most of the time. Probably because I'm always playing portable and there're always compromises when I'm playing since GB era, and I get adjusted with ergonomics for example pretty quickly.

I would also say that as a handheld player, the Switch had been successful on getting good releases on pace, probably better than GB, 3DS or even DS era imo. Maybe times are changing, but there's a new diversity coming in from full on console-like games being put in there but with less fancy cinematics, or time wasting bullshit, basically an upgraded form of handheld focused games, cutting corners on the right place. I've never been so busy finishing off games and keeping me entertained.

Blade2.0

Their online shouldn't be pay to play. It's so much worse than the other's offerings at 60 I'd rather pay sixty on the others and not even bother on switch.

Hardware wise: Joycons drifting so soon. Doesn't strike me as Nintendo quality durability. The cracks that form on top of the system, thankfully it doesn't affect using the system.

Software wise: To me, seems like Nintendo and 3rd parties are too content with only porting or remastering games to the system which they think they can get away with since it's a hybrid system. Easily the least memorable Nintendo system to me as a result. 2 days ago I beat Astral Chain and I'm struggling to think of original made for Switch only games such as that. Also paid online can fuck off

Top Bottom