• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans of the Nintendo Switch: What are some things you don't like about it?

For me, I don't want to pay for their yearly rental service that has over 100 games when I only want to play a few of them. Buying the games I do want like we could on the Wii and Wii U would be better than having access to over 100 when I might only want 20 of them. Also, not being able to access them if the internet goes down is also dumb and another reason why I would just rather buy Link to the past instead of pay 20 dollars per year for it and the few others I do enjoy.

No folder options.

No Skyward Sword Icons.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Bluetooth audio or at least a headphone jack in the Pro controller. That is the only thing that I want in the next console they make.

Hugare

I hate so many things about this piece of shit hardware, the main ones being:

* Ergonomics sucks. You have to buy a grip to make it torable at best.

* I dont even have to mention the analog sticks, its well known.

* Its too big, imo. Not "portable" at all. Good for playing in bed and etc., indoors, but outside I still preffer my 3DS.

* Should have launched back in 2017 with an OLED display

It's saved by its library, and I love to see "impossible" ports running on it, but its very flawed

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I forgot how terrible the joy cons are to hold, I always use a Pro controller but had to go back to them for SS HD and they suck over long sessions, and sideways they are AWFUL.

Stick drift sucks ass

Ugly ass visuals kn a 4k TV lol.

Not the best in outdoor bright settings

Lack of fucking Bluetooth support in my original model.

You should get a Sony next time if you want better upscaling of 1080p and below content, it shouldn't look terrible. I'm only saying this to you because I hear that a lot and it often turns out they are LG owners: "I can't watch 1080p and below anymore, it looks crap".

Skyward Sword looks great at 1080p on my TV, of course I wish it was 4K like you can do in emulators but ycagwyw.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

E-shop is garbage. Slow and not very user friendly.

NES and SNES locked behind online service. Since I'm not playing online I'm not gonna pay for a fucking rental service. Give me the options to pay for the games and I'd gladly take it.

No folders and themes.

TLZ

Banned
The eshop sucks ASS. I was browsing it yesterday and I can't believe I can't even add stuff to a cart. I have to purchase a game individually then continue shopping, which takes me right back to the main eshop page instead of continuing where I left off. Imagine browsing through a list of a 1000 games where you've scrolled through 200 of them, and you'll have to go through all that again.

And the shit CHUGS. And hangs. And after a while it'll throw you straight back to the beginning! I can't believe Nintendo knows we're in 2021. Feels like 2001 in there.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Bad specs and that its a hybrid. I have never used it as a handheld so its pointless for me. Still hoping for a console only version again in the future.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It's their best system since the SNES but there are a lot of bullshit, greedy design choices
  • Joystick drift
  • Being cheap cunts and not making the default joycon connector a charger basically showing the customer's convenience isn't worth a few pennies for a connector when they can extort a few by selling a separate charging version
  • weak ass hardware that can't even run their showcase game at a stable 30 FPS
  • Joycons are too small for adults to use comfortably
  • (assumption moving forward) Not making an account system that can keep games you purchased so you can move them to the Switch 2 without having to repurchase.
  • the price of accessories.
  • Fucking Amiibo bullshit, especially in SS HD. And I actually did waste 5 minutes looking for a statue I could have avoided if they didn't lock the new feature behind a stupid toy.
  • Typical Nintendo Software Droughts.

Marvel14

Banned
-Online matchmaking
-no achievements
-lack.of.bluetooth support for headphones/mic
- several games like Mario Party and 50 Worldwide Games that could have been evergreen with some more investment and care.

Still the best console I've ever owned

Reactions: Isa

Marty-McFly

Banned
My only problem with it is AAA third party support, but even that has steadily improved.

The absence of GTA is baffling though. There must be some sort of deal in place prohibiting it.

It would sell gangbusters on Switch, and is a 360 game.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Its so annoying you can to relaunch the shop everytime, I guess its pulling all the data afresh from online because they are scared of piracy (I mean the UI and such, not just the content, hence why it takes so long like nu-Hitman can).

nerdface

Banned
I’m on joycon 3. I finally settled on the Hori left stick that’s lasted a looong time, but the right one still goes out sometimes.

Im og gen switch. I could use another 30-60 minutes of battery, but mostly the battery life is pretty good when you think of the games… I have an anker I take sometimes

My other complaint is how physical copies happen. I’m in constant fomo anxiety mode that I won’t be able to find a copy of a game I like. It’s not good for my mental health. 🤪

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Horrible ergonomics for a handheld. Expensive joy-cons considering how shitty the sticks feel. Stand is flimsy. No way to organize the home screen(?). Underpowered. No bluetooth. Nintendo Switch Online. Shitty sale prices on eShop.

Xdrive05

I'm a major fan as it's my only console in active use (+ PC of course). My list of "likes" eclipses the dislikes by about 3x, but here's my dislikes:

• Online store needs a serious redesign. It was clearly designed before the Switch became a real success, and their organizational approach wasn't made to handle the volume of content that would end up being on the store.
  • Online store is also SLOOOOOW. FFS it shouldn't chug like that.
  • Nintendo continues to "do their own thing" regarding paid online multiplayer, which is to say they don't really support it in a meaningful and cohesive way. Microsoft solved these problems like four console generations ago. :messenger_unamused:
  • I don't find the build quality to be in keeping with Nintendo's past generations (joycon drift and joycon "locking" mechanism especially).
  • I don't like how conservative they are with hardware specs. Switch is relatively "OP" for its form factor compared to what Nintendo usually delivers in a console, but I don't like how they refuse to up the specs on a refresh model. They just blew it here, unless they really do have a new gen waiting in the wings (which I doubt).

Fbh

- Battery is kinda shitty. Though I have the OG one, so I know the newer model is better in that regard.
- As every Nintendo console I've owned: Extremely expensive yet low quality accessories
-Not very ergonomic. There's just no way for me to hold it without my hands being sore after like 30-40 minutes
-Too big, could be smaller all around. Bezel is giant too, I'm actually surprised the Oled model still has as much bezel when even $150 phones have cut back on that these days.
- Bad performance in first party online games. Smash is just unplayable online for me. It was already bad on WiiU but now that Nintendo also charges for multiplayer the horrible performance is even less justified.

Pro controller:
-Truly shitty Dpad
-Analog sticks feel too loose to me
-Mine always struggles to actually turn on the console. I have to press the button multiple times for the console to register I'm trying to turn it on.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

There's a touchscreen yet we've yet to see any game fully utilising it.

In theory the joycon were supposed to have pointing function yet there are no fps utilising it.

The eshop is serviceable at best.

It really is the most barebone Nintendo handheld

Also, gone is the fun miiverse and streetpass

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
For me, I don't want to pay for their yearly rental service that has over 100 games when I only want to play a few of them. Buying the games I do want like we could on the Wii and Wii U would be better than having access to over 100 when I might only want 20 of them. Also, not being able to access them if the internet goes down is also dumb and another reason why I would just rather buy Link to the past instead of pay 20 dollars per year for it and the few others I do enjoy.

No folder options.

No Skyward Sword Icons.
The $20 per year for Nintendo Online isn't just for access to NES and SNES games, though. It also allows you to play games online. Do you play Switch games online with friends?

Personally I get enough value from being able to play Mario Kart online that the online multiplayer retro games are just the icing on the cake. But I also play a lot of NES Mario Bros and Clu Clu Land online with friends as well as Panel de Pon on SNES. $20 per year for playing those old games with friends is totally worth it to me. But I can see why you might not like it.

As for what I don't like, the biggest thing has to be not having official joycons with a proper d-pad. I'd like the option to play with wireless joycons in docked mode with a d-pad under my thumb. I have pro controllers but there are times I'd like the flexibility of the separate joycons.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
-Truly shitty Dpad

yeah, I highly recommend the dpad on the left Hori joycon. The only caveat is it has no battery so it’s a handheld only controller

you can choose a Mario or Zelda theme… and this stick has outlasted all the others by far too

There's a touchscreen yet we've yet to see any game fully utilising it.

Lol right? Not even pc games like the baldurs gate remake. I can’t think of a better game to select units like you would with a mouse.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
- The joycons suck
- No support for bluetooth headsets
- No voice parties, (a phone app, seriously nintendo?)
- Paid online but the plot twist is that it's garbage
- Kinda uncomfortable in handheld mode (guess the lite fixes this, but im not buying one)
- No backwards compatibility aside from what nintendo wants to hand out with the online sub
- No retro eshop, the Wii U had done this perfectly, why do away with it?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
- The joycons suck
- No support for bluetooth headsets
- No voice parties, (a phone app, seriously nintendo?)
- Paid online but the plot twist is that it's garbage
- Kinda uncomfortable in handheld mode (guess the lite fixes this, but im not buying one)
- No backwards compatibility aside from what nintendo wants to hand out with the online sub
- No retro eshop, the Wii U had done this perfectly, why do away with it?

+ bad ergonomics

It's like someone had a great idea, got fired and some knobheads took over the end product vision and their inbred offspring are still in charge.

I don't even want to bother thinking about the logic behind Nintendo's way of doing business anymore. That ship has sailed many many moons ago. So unless I want to get frustrated it's better to just don't care and take what's good. What's left of it anyways.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
Here’s the thing about adding ergonomics… now you’re adding depth/size to the thing. It’s basically just a thin(ish) tablet with round corners.

I mean, the switch isn’t comfortable, but your hands get used to it if you play long enough.

I’m gonna get a Steam Deck, but you will never see me in public with it. It’s enormous. Goudy. Thick. Like the nerds who play it when dad has the tv.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I forgot how terrible the joy cons are to hold, I always use a Pro controller but had to go back to them for SS HD and they suck over long sessions, and sideways they are AWFUL.

You should get a Sony next time if you want better upscaling of 1080p and below content, it shouldn't look terrible. I'm only saying this to you because I hear that a lot and it often turns out they are LG owners: "I can't watch 1080p and below anymore, it looks crap".

Skyward Sword looks great at 1080p on my TV, of course I wish it was 4K like you can do in emulators but ycagwyw.
I had it on a sony x900f at the time. Still didn't look good.

Didn't realize how bad it was till I got my c9

Astral Dog

The faulty controllers, shitty online service/wifi and sub native res games(fine with 720p, its a good compromise for runing console games with decent battery life, but the current Switch has a lot of trouble reaching that).

I hope all of those will improve for Switch 2. Other than that, despite its faults the Switch delivers on its promise of console gaming on the go with TV option, its also a huge leap in design from the cheap 3DS and Wii U

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
  • No wallpapers or themes
  • Still greatly lacking in streaming apps (Amazon Prime, etc)
  • Doesn't support bluetooth headsets
  • Current replacement for Virtual Console is a joke
  • No support for achievements or even stamps like some games had on Wii U
  • Nothing to replace Miiverse, Street Pass or any of the fun features of previous consoles
  • No dedicated game music when hovering over a game icon or loading a game (like we had on Wii U and 3DS)
What it boils down to is, the games are there, but the UI and features of the console have barely come along from the bare-bones state the console released in at launch.

Knightime_X

Close to Xbox 360 image quality and performance with many games.
(1st party always looks better. Why can't 3rd party do the same??)

The games you want almost never go on sale.
And when they DO go on sale the discount is laughable at best.

Kokoloko85

- No folders
- No Wind Waker
- No Twilight Princess
- No Zelda OOT or MM
- No Virtual Console or gamecube Virtual Console

-Battery sucks.
-When it hasnt been played the battery just disappears. Including when its in dock but the controllers arent. So many times I pick it up to play and it has no battery even though it had 100% battery the last time I used it.

twerkouting

Banned
- In comparison to the 3DS, the lack of folders, themed wallpapers seem to only be missing because new buyers don't know what they're missing. Maybe it's a battery / storage issue but I can't imagine themes would be that heavy a drain / storage space eater.

- The overpriced but very cheap dock.

- Joycon drift but I mostly want it addressed so I don't have to read the same complaint on every Switch thread. Seriously wtf are guys doing with your joycons, grinding corn?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I just want better performance. The software has been amazing.

no folders.

Lack of Bluetooth. Only thing.

- No messaging
- No folders
- Too many players on wifi due to lack of packed-in ethernet

That's basically it though. It's a great console, one of Nintendo's best.

- No folders
- No Wind Waker
- No Twilight Princess
- No Zelda OOT or MM
- No Virtual Console or gamecube Virtual Console

-Battery sucks.
-When it hasnt been played the battery just disappears. Including when its in dock but the controllers arent. So many times I pick it up to play and it has no battery even though it had 100% battery the last time I used it.
Bill Nye Nod GIF

nerdface

Banned
- Joycon drift but I mostly want it addressed so I don't have to read the same complaint on every Switch thread. Seriously wtf are guys doing with your joycons, grinding corn?

do you keep your switch in a closet?

fucking blame me like it’s my fault for playing videogames on a videogame machine 😃

Last edited:
Top Bottom