• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans port XBLA exclusive The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile to PC | Edit: Official port!

http://indiestatik.com/2013/06/04/t...ported-to-pc-developer-says-its-not-stealing/

The port is currently in beta and has no permissions from Ska Studios to even exist. But this isn’t a problem, according to the developer, as they say they’re not stealing anything from Ska Studios. They go on to elaborate that Ska had no intention to port the game to PC, so it’s not like they are losing any potential profit. Instead, the developer sees themselves as providing a service for those who wanted the game on PC, but had ho hope of that happening.

The ethics of publication

The view was expressed that, with respect to the authors, it is not very nice to publish the game on the PC. I have to argue that the part of the authors are not very nice to publish the game exclusively for the Xbox 360, making it impossible for PC gamers to play such a great game.

About Piracy

Piracy – yes, that is bad. On the other hand, we did not steal the game for the Xbox 360; we released it for the PC port. Given that the developers ignored the PC platform, about any loss of profit for them is not out of the question. After all, if they wanted to earn money, then the game would be issued on all available platforms. If the game came out on PC officially, then this thread would not exist.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...d-to-pc-but-the-original-dev-doesnt-mind-much

To this, Barabus responded in a comment to the IndieStatik report, "Users always have the option to pay for the game or not. This also applies to Xbox 360 which has the opportunity to play pirated games."

He then explained that the PC version lacked some of the XBLA original's features such as co-op, online play, and achievements. "Original Xbox 360 version for pirates is more attractive. I gave only the opportunity to play for those people who have no Xbox 360."

"This is not piracy. This is restoration of justice."

Ska Studios responds:

“I guess you could say my reaction is mixed. I’m flattered that there’s this much interest in Vampire Smile on PC. I’m not mad about the crack itself; in fact, I’m actually pretty impressed. But I’m bewildered by the cracker’s attempt to justify the morality of it. He assumes a lot about why Vampire Smile’s not on PC yet, and he could have cleared up a lot of those assumptions by just emailing me. I get that piracy is a service problem, but that’s a consequence, not a justification.”

A similar, but not identical case, is that of fans porting the daytime levels of Sonic: Unleashed to PC without permission from Sega. It's not identical, because 1) not the entire game was ported 2) you need a copy of Sonic: Generations to run the ported content (but of course that doesn't stop the pirate from downloading an illegal copy of Sonic: Generations).

They go on to elaborate that Ska had no intention to port the game to PC, so it’s not like they are losing any potential profit. Instead, the developer sees themselves as providing a service for those who wanted the game on PC, but had ho hope of that happening.

Weak logic. There could still be people who intended to get the 360 version but who will now get it on PC.

Are they taking money for it or making it available for free? The latter, I assume?

EDIT:
"This is not piracy. This is restoration of justice."

Jesus Christ.

wwm0nkey

How do people even do this? The Marble Blast one was excusable I guess since its no longer up but not this.

Krakn3Dfx

I personally have no issue with this. Bring it to the PC, then I can pay money for it, otherwise, watch shady ports pop up to play instead.

Last time I checked, and my PC game money is just as valuable as XBox game money.

LegatoB

So is this a full reprogramming of the game with graphics/sound/level assets ripped out of the 360 version, or was some or all of the source code made available publicly?

Homebrew ports are cool and all, but that doesn't give this individual the rights, morally or legally, to distribute the game's assets without permission. It's not an exact analogue, but think of it as writing an emulator and bundling it with ROMs without permission or authorization from the owners of the game.

Izick

So, what is the reason behind no official port of Vampire Smile?

Microsoft probably has a deal with them like TGC has with Sony, or maybe the developer just didn't want to do it. I just don't understand how anybody could justify doing this just because it's not on the platform of your choice. I understand it sucks when a game comes out on something you don't own, but it's not right to do this.

It would have been better if they had contacted Ska, and maybe worked something out and/or showed their work. Then it could be out there legitimately, and everyone could be payed for their effort.

iavi

Microsoft probably has a deal with them like TGC has with Sony, or maybe the developer just didn't want to do it. I just don't understand how anybody could justify doing this just because it's not on the platform of your choice. I understand it sucks when a game comes out on something you don't own, but it's not right to do this.

It would have been better if they had contacted Ska, and maybe worked something out and/or showed their work. Then it could be out there legitimately, and everyone could be payed for their effort.

I'm not saying there's any justification here at all. I'm just wondering why there's no port, when even mega XBLA titles like Castle Crashers were allowed one.

I personally have no issue with this. Bring it to the PC, then I can pay money for it, otherwise, watch shady ports pop up to play instead.

Last time I checked, and my PC game money is just as valuable as XBox game money.

Why should the developer bring it to PC? Maybe he has a contract with MS to keep it on the 360 or maybe he doesn't want to port it to PC. It's his damn game, he decides if he's going to port it to the PC, the lack of PC port tells me he's not interested or is under contract not to release it on other platforms.

In any case, that doesn't give anyone the right to steal his work and then attempt to justify it. Is this dickbag going to start porting all consoles exclusives too because they should be on PC?

Absolutely ridiculous reasoning.

iavi

Why should the developer bring it to PC? Maybe he has a contract with MS to keep it on the 360 or maybe he doesn't want to port it to PC. It's his damn game, he decides if he's going to port it to the PC, the lack of PC port tells me he's not interested or is under contract not to release it on other platforms.

In any case, that doesn't give anyone the right to steal his work and then attempt to justify it. Is this dickbag going to start porting all consoles exclusives too because they should be on PC?

If he's already willing to do this for free, he should get in contact with some of the devs and offer his porting services for cheap.

Feindflug

Bring on teh justice! Uncharted 2, Red Dead Redemption and Halo 3 PC ports next!

WTF? seriously...

Alchemy

Its similar reasoning to why iOS kids buy Gameloft clones or those shady ROM dumps that half work before they're pulled from the App Store. "Oh, it isn't like the real developer supports the platform so its ok to rip off their work!".

If he's already willing to do this for free, he should get in contact with some of the devs and offer his porting services for cheap.

Good idea. Shame this dickbag didn't think to do that, he instead chose to act like an entitled cunt.

Bring on teh justice! Uncharted 2, Red Dead Redemption and Halo 3 PC ports next!

WTF? seriously...

WTF indeed.

Its similar reasoning to why iOS kids buy Gameloft clones or those shady ROM dumps that half work before they're pulled from the App Store. "Oh, it isn't like the real developer supports the platform so its ok to rip off their work!".

Disgusting reasoning in my opinion.

Draconian

I'm not saying there's any justification here at all. I'm just wondering why there's no port, when even mega XBLA titles like Castle Crashers were allowed one.

The first Dishwasher game won Microsoft's Dream.Build.Play contest, so they may have made a deal with him for future games as well. Not that it matters though, because it's his game and if he doesn't want to port it, it's his decision. People shouldn't go behind his back and port it without his permission.

graywolf323

Gold Member

doubt that's the case, from what I understand Sony owns the IPs for Flower, Journey, etc. and we've seen other XBLA exclusives make it to PC eventually

the only real exceptions seem to be Dishwasher and Shadow Complex

Izick

doubt that's the case, from what I understand Sony owns the IPs for Flower, Journey, etc. and we've seen other XBLA exclusives make it to PC eventually

the only real exceptions seem to be Dishwasher and Shadow Complex

Okay, so maybe they own the Dishwasher IP or maybe they have an exclusivity deal. Even if they don't, maybe the developer just doesn't want to bring it over to the PC. I don't see what the difference is.

If I see a game that I want that could (in theory) come to the platform of my choice, but isn't going to, then I either move on, or buy that platform. I did it for MGS 4 this generation, and I'm sure I'll do it for the Xbox One or PS4 next generation. I understand it sucks that it's not out on somebody's plarform of choice, but you're hurting the developer by doing this. You're devaluing the 360 version by making a PC version that's completely cracked and free.

Gameloft clones shouldn't really be lumped into a sentence with ROM dumps.

And how do people feel about Mother 3 fan translation?

well, other than the developers of that not releasing it with the copyrighted ROM, the situation is exactly the same!

robotnik

This is not piracy. This is restoration of justice.
MOm0WsI.gif

iavi

The first Dishwasher game won Microsoft's Dream.Build.Play contest, so they may have made a deal with him for future games as well. Not that it matters though, because it's his game and if he doesn't want to port it, it's his decision. People shouldn't go behind his back and port it without his permission.

Okay, so maybe they own the Dishwasher IP or maybe they have an exclusivity deal. Even if they don't, maybe the developer just doesn't want to bring it over to the PC. I don't see what the difference is.

If I see a game that I want that could (in theory) come to the platform of my choice, but isn't going to, then I either move on, or buy that platform. I did it for MGS 4 this generation, and I'm sure I'll do it for the Xbox One or PS4 next generation. I understand it sucks that it's not out on somebody's plarform of choice, but you're hurting the developer by doing this. You're devaluing the 360 version by making a PC version that's completely cracked and free.

Ok. Nobody's saying that it isn't Silva's choice in the matter, but I'm wondering what Silva's choice in the matter is. Many XBLA exclusives have ported to PC and found success, the most recent being Dust--one that also made it to XBLA by way of D.B.P, and I can't really think of a creator who wouldn't want his ware to be experienced by more people.

Top Bottom