• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans port XBLA exclusive The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile to PC | Edit: Official port!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
All the port begging for xbox exclusives has finally lead to someone illegally porting the games. I had a feeling this would eventually happen. Can't wait for Halo 3 PC fan edition.

It reminds me of when a team ported Marble Blast Ultra to PC but I feel that was justified because the game has been removed from XBLA and before the unofficial PC port, there was absolutely no way to play or purchase the game outside of having bought it on XBLA before it was pulled down.

For the sake of preservation I condone it, but I think the people porting Vampire Smile have some really, really weird reasons for justification.

catabarez

It reminds me of when a team ported Marble Blast Ultra to PC but I feel that was justified because the game has been removed from XBLA and before the unofficial PC port, there was absolutely no way to play or purchase the game outside of having bought it on XBLA before it was pulled down.

For the sake of preservation I condone it, but I think the people porting Vampire Smile have some really, really weird reasons for justification.

Well an official PC port is not out of the picture for the Dishwasher games.

FoxSpirit

Hey guys, James here!

All of the people who said nice things: thanks!

The guy who said just get Dust on PC: agreed!

I want to give the cracker/porter dude the benefit of the doubt over the "restoration of justice" thing, he probably didn't mean to make it sound quite so PC Gamer Master Race... Like I said on indiestatik, I'm flattered, impressed, but still a little bit weirded out by the bizarre moralistic stuff.

Sorry the game's not on PC in any official capacity yet! The main reason it's not is because even though the game was developed on a PC, releasing on PC and working out all of the input, display sizes, graphics options involved is a lot of work (and a lot more work than it sounds like!). I know Dean was working on Dust PC for at least a few months before it was even announced (sorry if I've said too much, Dean!), and for us, when Vampire Smile shipped, we were already full speed on Charlie Murder. Once Charlie ships, I'd like to try working on a Vampire Smile PC port, but I'd really like to give it a Director's cut treatment--rework some areas, add environmental hazards and new enemies, etc., so we wouldn't really be missing out if there's a cracked torrent with broken shaders floating around somewhere.

And as someone who grew up wanting to make Nintendo games, I really really really wanted this as a console title first. The thought of playing it with a keyboard gives me a nervous tick. Now that Xbox360 gamepads have become so ubiquitous, it's all more or less water under the bridge (the last shooter I played on PC that I used mouse+keyboard for was System Shock 2), but the thought of anyone playing Vampire Smile with a keyboard is still not super pleasant.

Edit: didn't realize Dean was here. Hi Dean! THEY STOLE MAH STUFF
Haha, welcome.

I feel the simple explanation is: when you are really young and enthusiastic you find the weirdest explanation for the things you are doing. Even if they don't make any sense if you look at them 15 years later :p

Noogy

Noogy you gotta talk to him :p I know Dishwasher would sell a good amount on Steam like Dust.

Oh I know he'd LOVE to do it, and I think the games would do really well on PC, maybe as a bundle. We've talked quite a bit about it, it's just that a lot of pieces need to fall into place, and he's been crunching hard on Charlie Murder among other... things. I swear that man never rests.

It's just frustrating to read about this 'port' because it's not doing him any favors, in fact it may keep his games from ever hitting the PC. So thanks but no thanks :/

who did the port work for Dust?

I did the port work myself, took about 6 months. James is actually a much more accomplished programmer than I am (heck, I owe him a lot for helping me get started), and he was originally a PC developer. So I imagine his own ports of the Dishwasher games would be something special.

Edit: didn't realize Dean was here. Hi Dean! THEY STOLE MAH STUFF

Gah, I didn't know you were on Neogaf James :) Yeah, honestly this is a crappy situation. Like I said, the best thing anyone can do it support you if the games ever hit PC in any official capacity (or of course get them on XBLA, since they are rad and better than life itself).

Oh I know he'd LOVE to do it, and I think the games would do really well on PC, maybe as a bundle. We've talked quite a bit about it, it's just that a lot of pieces need to fall into place, and he's been crunching hard on Charlie Murder among other... things. I swear that man never rests.

It's just frustrating to read about this 'port' because it's not doing him any favors, in fact it may keep his games from ever hitting the PC. So thanks but no thanks :/

I did the port work myself, took about 6 months. James is actually a much more accomplished programmer than I am (heck, I owe him a lot for helping me get started), and he was originally a PC developer. So I imagine his own ports of the Dishwasher games would be something special.

Gah, I didn't know you were on Neogaf James :) Yeah, honestly this is a crappy situation. Like I said, the best thing anyone can do it support you if the games ever hit PC in any official capacity (or of course get them on XBLA, since they are rad and better than life itself).

Off-topic a bit, but thank you for bringing Dust to PC.
Hopefully your experience (if positive) will convince James to port his games to PC eventually. :)

I can't wait to see what you both do next! Thanks again, man!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Is it weird that I want ZP2KX to come to the PC more than Ska's XBLA games? Soldat style mayhem would be pretty tasty with m/kb controls.

Anyway, "restoration of justice" my ass. Get a 360 you filthy poors. It's worth it for XBLA alone.

wwm0nkey

Can we also get ZP2KX please :D

Also no idea if you remember me but I helped playtest ZP2KX wayyyyyyy back for like a day when me and that Guild Wars/NCSoft girl suggested the game receive a rainbow gun lol

Noogy

Off-topic a bit, but thank you for bringing Dust to PC.
Hopefully your experience (if positive) will convince James to port his games to PC eventually. :)

I can't wait to see what you both do next! Thanks again, man!

Thanks, I'm primarily a PC gamer so I was glad to finally do it. :) And I'd love to work with James sometime, trust me we've talked about it.

Can we also get ZP2KX please :D

I think James is one of the few indies would could pull his own 'Basement' Collection. ZP2KX, Dishwasher, Vampire Smile, Time Viking, Zombies. Yeah, I'd dip into that.

http://ska-studios.com/2013/06/05/vampires-smile-charlie-murders/

Porting Vampire Smile to PC as an enhanced Director’s Cut has been something I’ve been wanting to do since launch (I was calling it Georgelucasing until Michelle made me stop), and we had actually broached the subject with Microsoft last Friday, almost a week before this happened. Nothing’s set in stone, but we got the go ahead to make a pre-announcement: we’ll be working with Microsoft to bring our stuff to PC

Well, that's that.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The Dishwasher games are really underrated and really deserve to be bought and played. I'd highly recommend them to any fan of side scrolling action games/beat em ups. Couple of my favourite games on XBLA.

The Dishwasher games are really underrated and really deserve to be bought and played. I'd highly recommend them to any fan of side scrolling action games/beat em ups. Couple of my favourite games on XBLA.
The only thing that kept me from getting DW on 360 was lack of d-pad support. I really tried to work with the stick but I just couldn't do it in the end.

It also sucks that someone would have the audacity to make a decision for someone else's work without any knowledge of his future plans with that title. He could be in the middle of a Steam deal as we speak for all we know. Then he tries to justify it. Dude, leave people's shit alone. If you want to do something good for the PC community, quit being a parasite and make your own game to give away for free.

catabarez

I got both of them. Definitely willing to double dip for these games.

Porting Vampire Smile to PC as an enhanced Director’s Cut has been something I’ve been wanting to do since launch (I was calling it Georgelucasing until Michelle made me stop), and we had actually broached the subject with Microsoft last Friday, almost a week before this happened. Nothing’s set in stone, but we got the go ahead to make a pre-announcement: we’ll be working with Microsoft to bring our stuff to PC

Restoration of Justice Edition?

HoosTrax

Feel ambivalent about this.

Speaking generally, developers delaying PC ports is a major pet peeve of mine, regardless of what the excuse happens to be. "too busy" "don't have the resources" "we signed a moneyhat exclusivity agreement" "we didn't realize PC was a viable gaming platform" "we didn't know PC gamers had gamepads" "we didn't know PC gamers could play on their TV" etc...

...None of that illicits much sympathy from me.

As a software engineer myself (not game industry), I do feel sympathy as far as the dev's work being taken and used for things that they never gave permission for.

Considering that nobody has any proof of this impacting XBLA sales in anything more than a very minor way, I compare it to something like translations of Japan-exclusive games. However, since the dev is bringing their games to PC, they should stop hosting it on their site and allowing people to download it. Sure, the cat's already out of the bag, but they could at least mitigate the damage.

Leflus

Dick move by the pirates.

I'm impressed by how well Ska Studios seems to have handled the situation.
I just hope that the pirated version hasn't hurt the official version's chances of selling well.

n00bsauce

Banned
ITT:
PC Gamers Public Outrage
PC Gamers Secretly Download
PC Gamers Secretly Want More Ported Games

To the guy who suggested that this dude should have asked for a job instead of doing it by himself, there would be no benefit to Dishwasher to want to hire him. They've made up their minds to make it XBLA exclusive. No need to waste more money. What no one has said is that this guy ported the game by himself for free on his own time. What you call piracy, another could call an act of volunteerism for PC gamers. That SHOULD get him a paying job somewhere. People downloading the game will only have him feel more entitled to do it again and probably will. I think it would be to the benefit of all indie developers to pick him up or his gonna do it again to another unsuspecting company in the guise of piracy and there's nothing no one can do about it.

scitek

Can I buy the game from XBLA through their website even though I no longer have an Xbox 360? Or is there a way to donate the amount of money the game costs directly to the developer? If either were done, I wouldn't see anything wrong with playing the PC version.

I wonder that too, can people port any 360 game? or is it just XBLArcade games?

Where the fuck is Shadow Complex if this is possible? I'll Paypal Epic the amount of money I paid for it on XBLA if someone were to port it.

catabarez

ITT:
PC Gamers Public Outrage

To the guy who suggested that this dude should have asked for a job instead of doing it by himself, there would be no benefit to Dishwasher to want to hire him. They've made up their minds to make it XBLA exclusive. No need to waste more money. What no one has said is that this guy ported the game by himself for free on his own time. What you call piracy, another could call an act of volunteerism for PC gamers. That SHOULD get him a paying job somewhere. People downloading the game will only have him feel more entitled to do it again and probably will. I think it would be to the benefit of all indie developers to pick him up or his gonna do it again to another unsuspecting company in the guise of piracy and there's nothing no one can do about it.

If you would read the thread the creator of the game said a PC version is a definite possibilty.

iavi

ITT:
PC Gamers Public Outrage

That was me. You should the rest of the thread. Silva himself clarified.

ArjanN

ITT:
PC Gamers Public Outrage

The guy could have offered to work with the developer for cheap/free.

Instead he chose to be a douche and released a bootlegged ported version for pirates to download.

Top Bottom