• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasia: Music Evolved Demo on Xbox Live

darthvargi

I enjoyed it for what it was, I don't think it was anything that was amazing from a technical perspective and I imagine the experience between the XBOne and 360 versions will be identical as the original Kinect tracked wide arm motions well too. For what it's worth I haven't downloaded the 360 demo yet (but did play the XBOne demo) and I thought it was a lot of fun. It felt fairly innovative to the classic rhythmn formula and I was getting into it at spots. I wish the demo didn't have so many breakups to the game, I honestly don't know if I'll want to go through a lot of "story," I just want to play the music.

I'm guessing my nitpick though, is because the demo is more of a tutorial. I kind of forgot about this game and like one of the earlier posters, I'm a huge Kinect supporter so I'll pick this up at some point this Holiday season to support a quality effort on Kinect (unlike cough cough Kinect Sports Rivals - I thought every Kinect game including Fighter Within on XBOne is better).

jim2011

I wish the demo didn't have so many breakups to the game, I honestly don't know if I'll want to go through a lot of "story," I just want to play the music.

I'm guessing my nitpick though, is because the demo is more of a tutorial.

I almost made the same mistake in thinking the demo was just a tutorial. Go to the main menu and select Song List. Then you can play it normally and its a LOT better.

darthvargi

I almost made the same mistake in thinking the demo was just a tutorial. Go to the main menu and select Song List. Then you can play it normally and its a LOT better.
Thank you so much I didn't even see that! Awesome I'll play the demo some more until it's released!

Well, good thing those are in the game too.
Although to be honest I don't think "semi-abstract imagery" is as iconic as dancing hippos, the devil on the Bald mountain, or Mickey controlling a walking broomstick.

That's sort of what i meant to. Regardless, don't really want the hippos dancing to "Locked out of Heaven"

BusterJol

This game is fun as hell. It just threw my next two game purchases in flux though! Harmonix sure knows how to make Kinect games.

To expand on "I loved it", I was seriously impressed by the time I got to the Gorillaz song. I can tell this game can and will be a challenge (Are there difficulty levels?) and it was a great flow of swiping and pushing and holding. I'm sure I look like an idiot while doing it, but the motions feel great and natural. I was most impressed by the customizable solo section. That's the part I was most skeptical of before trying but I found myself playing with it a lot longer than was probably intended lol. It's amazing how it was impossible to make it sound bad, while also giving you a surprising amount of freedom to do what you want. It really did make me feel like I was playing an instrument. The presentation is pretty amazing too. I can't wait to explore those backgrounds and mess with the mini games inside. All the in between music and atmosphere was very classic Disney and it was great. I agree there was a little too much downtown in between songs, but I assume that was a combination of it being the tutorial and the shorter demo versions of the songs. So yeah, I'm hyped.

Only found out about the demo today, I'm at work and the Xbox store doesn't show a demo through the website.

Yeah, the web store is still extremely borked for X1. Here's a direct link to it.

Yaari

Is there any way to disable that freestyle sequence, I want to play the songs, and I feel like that sequence takes me out of the game. I don't really like it, Dance Central had it as well but there you could disable it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
To expand on "I loved it", I was seriously impressed by the time I got to the Gorillaz song. I can tell this game can and will be a challenge (Are there difficulty levels?) and it was a great flow of swiping and pushing and holding. I'm sure I look like an idiot while doing it, but the motions feel great and natural. I was most impressed by the customizable solo section. That's the part I was most skeptical of before trying but I found myself playing with it a lot longer than was probably intended lol. It's amazing how it was impossible to make it sound bad, while also giving you a surprising amount of freedom to do what you want. It really did make me feel like I was playing an instrument. The presentation is pretty amazing too. I can't wait to explore those backgrounds and mess with the mini games inside. All the in between music and atmosphere was very classic Disney and it was great. I agree there was a little too much downtown in between songs, but I assume that was a combination of it being the tutorial and the shorter demo versions of the songs. So yeah, I'm hyped.

Yeah, the web store is still extremely borked for X1. Here's a direct link to it.

Thanks, for both the links and the impressions. Downloading it now. Hopefully get the chance to play it tonight.

Thanks, for both the links and the impressions. Downloading it now. Hopefully get the chance to play it tonight.

No problem!

Is there any way to disable that freestyle sequence, I want to play the songs, and I feel like that sequence takes me out of the game. I don't really like it, Dance Central had it as well but there you could disable it.
In theory, you could just do something for 2 seconds and just move on. It's easy enough to ignore if you're not in to it.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager

There isn't. Compared to Dance Central's freestyle sequences which are intended to be a break and let dancers freestyle (with no impact on gameplay), the Composition Spells (that's what you're referring to) actually do have a direct impact on the musical output/sound of the songs. Those loops you create are added to the song, which can (and does!) alter how the song sounds, making it unique. You also do get bonus points for unlocking it (fully tracing the outside of the shape). I can, however, see where you're coming from. Hopefully you can learn to love 'em with more use! :)

CloudWolf

Also, CloudWolf’s icon is Mike Patton, so bonus points to him… talk about a musician who wrecklessly tears down genre barriers like woah. I used to sneak out in the middle of the night in high school to see him play improv shows at the Knitting Factory in NYC with a bunch of experimental musicians, which basically exploded my teenage brain.

That's awesome. I saw him perform with Faith No More this summer in London, he was absolutely amazing. I probably would never have known about Patton if it wasn't for Harmonix. You guys really introduced me to a lot of music through Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Unfortunately I do not have access to a Kinect at the moment, otherwise I would've definitely bought this at launch.

Krilekk

Banned
Aaaaaaand bought. Yes, I wanted to wait until it's cheaper but I think this will be one of the most entertaining games this year. The controls just work, that's rare for a Kinect game (no pun intended). And I bought this console for exclusives so I might just as well buy an exclusive when it comes out. Sunset Overdrive was next on the list and the MCC follows as soon as it is available. With that I think I bought every single Xbox exclusive so far.

To expand on "I loved it", I was seriously impressed by the time I got to the Gorillaz song. I can tell this game can and will be a challenge (Are there difficulty levels?)

Based on what I remember hearing a few months ago, there aren't traditional difficulty levels. The gameplay will be easier/harder depending on the choices you make for the mix - some choices will be more mellow and others more intense.

Alx

That demo is brilliant. I laughed out loud when Mozart turned into Latina music. So blasphemous, so perfect. :D
That game is so bought. I want it now, and ending the songs just when they start to heat up was so cruel.
I love the"shake hands to start multiplayer" idea, so cute.

Just finished playing the demo and immediately wanted to come here and post in the 400 posts thread..... Wait, where is the thread....page 3, 4, 5, 6!?!?! Only 3 pages, WTF? How is everyone who owns a XBone not talking about this fantastic demo?

I loved the demo, if you couldn't already tell, and thought it was extremely well done. Also, I thought for being a demo it was pretty meaty with content.

I was imagining what someone walking into the room with no knowledge of what the game is and what that conversation would be like. Luckily that happened when my wife and kids walked in on me throwing my arms up and down and holding them out like I was Freddie Mercury at Wembley stadium in front of 200,000 people. I haven't played a game that made me feel like such a bad ass in a long time.

GO PLAY IT!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Bought, pre-ordered. Demo sold me on a solid game, focusing on what gaming used to be about; having fun. Something Harmonix does very well, by the way.

I'm really enjoying the demo as well. Does anybody know if there is going to be some sort of "season pass" for people who buy the physical disc to get the same content of the Digital Deluxe version?

I'm really enjoying the demo as well. Does anybody know if there is going to be some sort of "season pass" for people who buy the physical disc to get the same content of the Digital Deluxe version?

Pretty sure you can buy all the other stuff separately. It will just cost more than if you got the bundle.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
That demo is actually pretty fucking fun. Don't need a big room for it either. Kinda wish I didn't buy Dance Central now.

This was an awesome blending of Child of Light and Guitar Hero. Was REALLY fun.

ThatMattZ

Played the demo and fell in love. I am amazed at how well the game makes you feel like you are manipulating the music and really conducting the song. I hadn't even heard of this game until now and it jumped to the top of my list of most anticipated. Preloaded the Digital Deluxe bundle and anxiously awaiting it to unlock on Tuesday.

Really liked it!!

In some way it reminded me of PARA PARA PARADISE.

So, it´s bought!!!!

Between this and Dance Central, my dlc list will growth a lot.

Yeah, I was just hoping to get some sort of bundle pricing on it. i.e. $40 of content for $30 or something.

I get you. The DLC is separated in to three expansion packs (Rock, Pop, & Dance) and since I believe you'll be able to buy each track separately as well, those packs will probably be a cheaper option even if they end up more expensive than the digital deluxe bundle. I'm not sure about the pricing of any of that though so I couldn't tell you how much you would be saving.

I get you. The DLC is separated in to three expansion packs (Rock, Pop, & Dance) and since I believe you'll be able to buy each track separately as well, those packs will probably be a cheaper option even if they end up more expensive than the digital deluxe bundle. I'm not sure about the pricing of any of that though so I couldn't tell you how much you would be saving.
Any input from nicholasbrutal? I really don't want to spend $90 on a digital game, but if that is the best way to get everything then maybe it'll be a first for me.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Any input from nicholasbrutal? I really don't want to spend $90 on a digital game, but if that is the best way to get everything then maybe it'll be a first for me.

So I actually don't know off the top of my head what the pack and song pricing is going to be, but it's my understanding that the Deluxe Edition WILL be the cheapest way to get all of the content. Additionally, it'll all be available for download at launch, whereas if you buy it piece by piece, you'll have to wait for their scheduled release.

FWIW, we're talking about leaked content here that hasn't officially been confirmed (the DLC and packs), so I shouldn't be saying anything at all, but... yeah. :D

The pre-order songs for retail copies of the game will also be available as DLC in the future, but it could be some time before they're release. Hope that helps!

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
So I actually looked at some numbers and did maths, and the total value of the Digital Deluxe if you purchased everything separately would be around $108. So it's about an $18 savings which ain't bad. Hope that's MORE helpful.

Syriel

According to the descriptions on Xbox Live, the three packs are just extra mixes for the in-game songs. They are NOT bundles of the DLC songs.

FWIW, we're talking about leaked content here that hasn't officially been confirmed (the DLC and packs), so I shouldn't be saying anything at all, but... yeah. :D

To be fair, it was public on the store for a day or so. And if it is all in the digital deluxe bundle, then it'll be doubly official on Tuesday. ;)

Rembrandt

Banned
Loved the demo. I do wish it included at least one full song, though. It's a pain when you're feeling yourself and the song fades out. Even had a couple family members/friends play and they really enjoyed it, too. Took a while to get a hang of and the tutorial definitely seems like a must. All in all, it's enjoyable and I might pick it up depending on price. Is this gonna be priced like Dance Central Spotlight or KSR?

So I actually looked at some numbers and did maths, and the total value of the Digital Deluxe if you purchased everything separately would be around $108. So it's about an $18 savings which ain't bad. Hope that's MORE helpful.
Thanks for looking into it. After finding the leaked DLC list I think I'm gonna stick to the physical copy. I only like a couple of those songs and can save money by just buying them separately. I would love to see a second round of DLC that maybe has some more classical pieces or Disney songs in the future.

Is there a review embargo for this game? I'd like to preorder for the bonus songs but I'd like some impressions of what the whole game offers.

Haines

Banned
OK played it.

It is fun and well made. IIm not sure how much of it was a novelty tho and some of those songs...def catering to a younger crowd.
a I want it but not at full retail pricing...

Will say hours spent and kinect sports demo wouldn't work where this had zero issues

Mr.Fusion

Any hope for some more Disney songs as DLC in the future?

Alx

Pre-bought the game, can't wait to play it later this week. :)
I haven't touched the demo again, since I want to keep all the novelty fresh for the full experience. And being interrupted in the middle of a song was too frustrating.
Now all I need is a Freddie Mercury outfit. :D

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Damn, I'd love to go this route but I love my physical copies :( Will just have to bite the bullet, and give Harmonix more money ;)

btkadams

Is there really no OT for this game? Mine has shipped. I haven't tried the demo yet though. I guess I should check it out before I open the game. The lack of buzz for this is alarming!

jesu

I played through the demo again and tried all the available songs, it really is great.
Bought it from Amazon but it's not out in the UK till Fri :(
Surprised at how much I like the tracklisting, as they can be a bit hit or miss in music games obviously.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Is there really no OT for this game? Mine has shipped. I haven't tried the demo yet though. I guess I should check it out before I open the game. The lack of buzz for this is alarming!

Ya'll should totally start a new, fancy hot Fantasia thread for the game. I won't stop you. ;)

Someone asked about chance for other DLC down the line... nothing to announce right now, but anything is possible, I guess!

Top Bottom