• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasia: Music Evolved |OT| I Put On My Robe & Wizard Hat

Dvorák – "Symphony No. 9 from the New World"
• Vivaldi – "The Four Seasons: Winter, 1st Movement"
• Depeche Mode – "Enjoy the Silence"
• Elton John – "Rocket Man"
• Fun. – "Some Nights"
• Gorillaz – "Feel Good Inc."
• Lorde – "Royals"
• M.I.A. – "Galang"
• Queen – "Bohemian Rhapsody"
• The Who – "The Real Me"
• White Stripes – "Seven Nation Army"
• Mozart – "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik'
• The Flaming Lips - "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, Pt. 1"
• Imagine Dragons - "Radioactive"
• J.S. Bach - "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor"
• Inon Zur - "Scout's Theme (ft Lindsey Stirling)"
• Jimi Hendrix - "Fire"
• New Order - "Blue Monday'

Although I don't have the game I don't understand the hate for the song selection. Yes it isn't amazing but it is solid.

The ones above are ones that I definitely can't see any issues with and some which I could imagine would be really fun to play along to. Loving that they put orchestral music in the game.

Ozone

Am I doing something wrong, or is there actually only one mix and no instrument switching in the Skrillex DLC song? If so, this is a bummer. :(

Am I doing something wrong, or is there actually only one mix and no instrument switching in the Skrillex DLC song? If so, this is a bummer. :(

I believe you have to unlock them in campaign mode, or you can skip right to party mode and play the song with everything in it unlocked.

Ozone

I believe you have to unlock them in campaign mode, or you can skip right to party mode and play the song with everything in it unlocked.
It's a DLC song though, so you use the Song Library to unlock the other mixes. The other DLC songs had the three mixes listed with locks next to the two I didn't unlock, but the Skrillex one only has "Original Mix" listed with no challenges to unlock others or cues to switch instruments.

Ozone

Here, I took pictures of the song select screen to show what I mean.
JVI9hIV.jpg

Y3gFyP8.jpg

SFenton

To people complaining about setlist: you do realize it's not like Rock Band and Dance Central where you're playing the original song, right?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
To people complaining about setlist: you do realize it's not like Rock Band and Dance Central where you're playing the original song, right?

Well, you CAN play the original, but there are also the remixes. The thing I don't know if people realize is that it's not just going from one mix of a song to the other, you can pull instrumentation from one mix and combine it with another. So classical mix with rock guitar added in, for example.

Amazing thread title. I really wish I had more fun with the demo than I did. I kind of wish the majority of the songs were classical to match the original Fantasia -- the formula didn't translate well to modern music (for me at least). Maybe I'll try this out when it drops in price.

The demo didn't really grab me either but I picked it up anyways and I'm glad I did. If you enjoy rhythm games this one is top tier. Loads of fun.

The problem with the demo is it tried to fit everything the game does in a small little slice and by the time u kind of figure it all out it cuts you off.

Well, you CAN play the original, but there are also the remixes. The thing I don't know if people realize is that it's not just going from one mix of a song to the other, you can pull instrumentation from one mix and combine it with another. So classical mix with rock guitar added in, for example.

Yeah this. The amount the songs can change with the remixing is pretty damn extensive. I'd understand (to an extent) the hate for the set list if they were straight mixes of the songs, but they're so much more than that. I just played a combo orchestral/original mix of Sting's "Message in a Bottle" and you would not recognize it as the original in the least, but if you want to play it straight you totally can. It's pretty awesome.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Skirlliex does not seem to have another mix, I think this is intentional.

Just blazed through the story mode. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of are those setpiece (not in the song but in the venue) devices where you can improvise beats based on what they give you. The stupid fuse one made me angry :mad:

And I figured out what was wrong with me not being able to play with the dlc, apparently they were all queued up to install, the game itself installed last night but not the dlc. Fixed that when I booted up the xbox one today.

at first I wasn't a fan of the unlocking system but when you unlock these new mixes organically instead of being fed everything at once, is a great experience. When I heard the second mix of Radioactive, I just went all out, it was so good.

Well, add me to the list of people who pre-ordered the Xbox One version months ago at Amazon but didn't get the DLC codes in the box. Sounds like a big snafu. It is late here so I don't want to wake my neighbors by playing, but I'll play it first thing tomorrow!

Sydle

Great game, spent about an hour with it this evening. I love the presentation.

My only criticism for it right now is controlling the world selection screen. It seems to pick up the smallest sway of my body and just accelerates it in that direction, so I have to stand perfectly still while selecting world with a hand gesture controlling the muse. Seems like a mistake, it should just use the hand gesture.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Great game, spent about an hour with it this evening. I love the presentation.

My only criticism for it right now is controlling the world selection screen. It seems to pick up the smallest sway of my body and just accelerates it in that direction, so I have to stand perfectly still while selecting world with a hand gesture controlling the muse. Seems like a mistake, it should just use the hand gesture.

It's intentional, you can move your body to pan around the venues.

Sydle

It's intentional, you can move your body to pan around the venues.

I've used that control mechanism in the shoal. Worked just fine there. The world selection controls seemed hyper sensitive in comparison.

I'm sure I'll get used to it.

jhawk6

Bought the digital deluxe version after playing the demo. Having a blast!

Wife loves "conducting" Let it Go! Lol. Would definitely buy any additional Disney songs immediately.

EBE

hoping to have a review done in a few days but my early impressions are so far very, VERY positive. im really digging Fantasia. happy to see an OT was made for it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
After a good night's rest, my arms feel like the equivalent of the after effects of going to the gym :p I guess that will happen when you play 3 hours straight. I wonder what the requirement is for unlocking the specific locked songs? I've already managed to unlock 2, but I just want to understand how.

Bladelaw

Picked up the Xbox One demo last night and had a blast. Only issue we had is when our kid would run in front of the performer (me or my wife) and from that point recognition got screwy. Anyway to reset or recalibrate Kinect after something like that? She loves running around dancing to the music so we don't really want to tell her to stop.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Seeing the stuff about the Skrillex track not having mixes, and I realize I misspoke about ALL DLC having mixes. For reasons I won't even begin to get into, there's only one mix. Everything else should have the original + two additional mixes.

Sorry about the misinformation there!

Tried the demo of this today after getting home from work. Bravo Harmonix.... I'll be honest I didn't see the appeal of this game, and the demos that I've seen didn't really do the game justice. This is going to be a definite buy from me later today, probably even the deluxe version.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
If you want to give some of the mixes in the game a listen, people have been uploading their creations to the Fantasia YouTube channel. It's some really neat stuff: https://www.youtube.com/user/FantasiaGame/videos

This has basically been my playlist at work today. What's crazy is I'm hearing new parts of mixes that are in the game (and hearing some of the DLC mixes for the first time) like I haven't been on this project for three years or something. :D

Alx

Can't play until the 23rd. :(
Congrats for the launch anyway, it seems like the reception is good. :)

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
After a good night's rest, my arms feel like the equivalent of the after effects of going to the gym :p I guess that will happen when you play 3 hours straight. I wonder what the requirement is for unlocking the specific locked songs? I've already managed to unlock 2, but I just want to understand how.

You went beast mode last night. I'm still not sure when it'll happen, but I'm absolutely sure I will buy it at some point. It looks great.

Dropped $ on the deluxe version and have been playing it for the last two hours. It's pretty amazing how responsive the Kinect is. This is probably the first time that the tech has actually impressed me.

espher

For reasons I won't even begin to get into [...]

Oh come on, you can't do that! ;)

btw, must say, a song that I was not expecting much from but was v. pleasantly surprised by in this context was the Drake track. Hoping I have the same reactions to the other tracks I could take or leave musically.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
You went beast mode last night. I'm still not sure when it'll happen, but I'm absolutely sure I will buy it at some point. It looks great.

Thanks :) I found out how to unlock the songs, it's based on how many magic fragments you have (completion bonus for unlocking a remix or doing a stage thingy). The last song requires 60.

BTW, I highlighted the credits song! Spoilers if you haven't beat the game yet, but it's really catchy. Link is here.

jet1911

Tried the demo, instantly bought the full game. It's wayyyyyyyyyyy better than I expected. As a bonus my wife is loving it.

AlexMogil

I am really enjoying a Kinect game. Who knew?

If I had one request... more classical music. The feeling of rhythm along with the spirit of conducting fits so well. And it seems it would be cheap to get the rights! More classical music!

And it seems it would be cheap to get the rights! More classical music!

The classical music would be probably be free to use, being in the public domain. But my guess is that the cost of hiring an orchestra to perform it isn't negligible, and it may not be too much cheaper than getting a licensed song that's already been recorded.

Mendoza

Came in specifically for the OT title name, because it is the best name for an OT I've ever seen.

Now I am interested in the game. Nice work!

Got my 5 year old son to play this for a little while. It is nice that the initial "goals" are very easy to meet. It allows him to progress without having to jump through an impossible hoop for his age.

I've been playing (and streaming) this for 5 hours straight, I swear I won't be able to move my arms tomorrow lol Love the game, it's truly magical experience. It's all the way on the top for me along with Dance Central and Child of Eden. Fantastic job Harmonix.

EDIT: Oh and the scout's song is so good!!! I Really like Lindsey Stirling :)

AlexMogil

Man, I just had a thought. There are some delays for some people for hitting notes, much like the delays from last generation's Rock Band. Like the screen delay, or the sound delay, or the controller delay. It was really difficult to get it tuned. I seem to be having a hard time with it on Fantasia. There are four settings to mess with - screen delay +/- and sound delay +/-.

Why not use the Kinect camera to automatically measure and adjust that? Just turn the camera at the screen, let Kinect take the screen and sound measurement and tune the system for that so all these rhythm games have a baseline to pull from?

I think I'm going to put a request on the Xbox One features site for this.

I played some more this morning. I enjoyed the 1-1 mix of the New World Symphony. I played that song back in High School when I was in the Orchestra. It was fun to see it in a new way. I'm still waiting to hear back from Disney/Harmonix on my missing pre-order songs. Amazon actually offered me a full refund if I return the opened game. I'm not gonna do that, though.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Man, I just had a thought. There are some delays for some people for hitting notes, much like the delays from last generation's Rock Band. Like the screen delay, or the sound delay, or the controller delay. It was really difficult to get it tuned. I seem to be having a hard time with it on Fantasia. There are four settings to mess with - screen delay +/- and sound delay +/-.

Why not use the Kinect camera to automatically measure and adjust that? Just turn the camera at the screen, let Kinect take the screen and sound measurement and tune the system for that so all these rhythm games have a baseline to pull from?

I think I'm going to put a request on the Xbox One features site for this.

I just wish they had a better calibration system in place, It's the same system that DC 1, 2, and 3 use where you manually adjust a number until it sounds and looks right.... which imo is not easy to do.

They just need to implement the rock band style way of calibrating where they calibrate off the audio and visual cues with the controller. Should be a standard.

AlexMogil

I just wish they had a better calibration system in place, It's the same system that DC 1, 2, and 3 use where you manually adjust a number until it sounds and looks right.... which imo is not easy to do.

They just need to implement the rock band style way of calibrating where they calibrate off the audio and visual cues with the controller. Should be a standard.

Well everyone has a Kinect if they are using any of these games - make the Kinect do it! If the controller had a light sensor and mic built in, sure, but the Kinect is sitting right there and would be so much more accurate.

I played some more this morning. I enjoyed the 1-1 mix of the New World Symphony. I played that song back in High School when I was in the Orchestra. It was fun to see it in a new way. I'm still waiting to hear back from Disney/Harmonix on my missing pre-order songs. Amazon actually offered me a full refund if I return the opened game. I'm not gonna do that, though.

Have you PM'd nicholasbrutal? He might be able to help you.

Top Bottom