• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasia: Music Evolved |OT| I Put On My Robe & Wizard Hat

Bladelaw

How do you get the Golden notes for the virtuoso achievement?

If it's like Rock Band then just do really well, get and maintain a long combo score and your five notes will turn gold. I haven't done well enough to earn it yet but I'm still working on getting my arm/eye coordination together.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Game is still not out in Holland. Considering buying it on the Irish store, does anyone know what issues I might run into?

Alx

I finally could play a bit of the final game. It's really great. Some of the remixes are really surprising for how different from the original they can be, and still sound really good. The White Stripes or Bald Mountain remixes for example.
The only nitpickings I'd have right now is that I've had the game pause itself on several occasions (although it's probably because I was into the music and went full Karajan).
I've also been slightly disappointed with "Message in a bottle" too, it's the only song that doesn't click with the gameplay for now (and it's a song I like a lot).

PerfectConsumer

Neo Member
I absolutely adore the Disney film, and was excited to try the demo.

While the Mozart portion was tremendous, I felt the inclusion of all of the pop and rock was really unpleasant. There are already a million games out there that cater to that stuff.

If it were all classical music, I would have bought this game without question. Hell, if there were even half classical songs I would have picked it up, suffering through the likes of Lady Gaga in order to progress, but sadly, it's another mainstream music game with a few concessions thrown to fans of the original concept of increasing the interest in classical music. I don't understand why there couldn't have at least been some classical DLC... I would have probably picked it up if there were more content in keeping with the spirit of the original film.

I listen to mostly rock, and I'm not some crazy old classical music purist, but when it comes to Fantasia, I don't think they captured what made the film special in this product... merely alluded to it.

While the Mozart portion was tremendous, I felt the inclusion of all of the pop and rock was really unpleasant. There are already a million games out there that cater to that stuff.

If it were all classical music, I would have bought this game without question. Hell, if there were even half classical songs I would have picked it up, suffering through the likes of Lady Gaga in order to progress, but sadly, it's another mainstream music game with a few concessions thrown to fans of the original concept of increasing the interest in classical music. I don't understand why there couldn't have at least been some classical DLC... I would have probably picked it up if there were more content in keeping with the spirit of the original film.

I listen to mostly rock, and I'm not some crazy old classical music purist, but when it comes to Fantasia, I don't think they captured what made the film special in this product... merely alluded to it.

These are my thoughts precisely. I couldn't agree more.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
These are my thoughts precisely. I couldn't agree more.

Out of curiosity, is the "spirit of the film" just a connection to classical music? Or are you missing something else? Because there's a whole bunch more in the game (particularly the Discovery portions of the story campaign) that touch on a whole bunch more. But if it's just you're stuck on the classical music thing (which I understand, although I don't entirely agree with), then... well, can't help you there. :)

Zenner

I've been having a great time with Fantasia. I did not see a Deluxe version on disc, ordering from Amazon, so I have the basic; will wait for a DLC sale.

Initially I had some reservations about the non-classical music, but I'm over it now. The track selection is great, and fiddling with the mixes adds even more variety. Change keeps it fresh.

I was expecting more challenges and interactivity from the several realms; they're essentially underused as an unlocking mechanism, and it doesn't look like there's much replay value from the story mode. That's okay, though - 'cos a plain ol' playlist from the Song Library will be all I need, once I'm done with that. Nailing the individual songs is gonna take some time, and is where the replay should be anyway.

I would have preferred each song to have variable difficulty (like Harmonix did with Dance Central: Spotlight), but even as is, there's a decent spread of difficulty to choose from among the various songs.

The response from Kinect is awesome. I started off flailing about with huge, mosquito-swatting swings. Now, my motions are a lot smaller, faster and precise; that's the way to go, when using the same hand with several rapid arrows in the same direction. The control of the Muse ball is a lot faster and more accurate than the Xbox's UI dashboard hand, too.

Things I'd like to see:

A DLC pack or playlist of the OG soundtrack. Just 'cos.
Online options, with a better leaderboard & some challenges.

In short, awesome gameplay; so-so presentation. Definitely recommend, though. Don't worry too much about the connection to the Fantasia film, and just go with the flow of the tunes. :p

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

I'm going to say that playing the demo is a pretty poor representation of the actual product (while I do respect your imprssions). After playing the game, I too though that this was going to be a familiar experience and that I was just going to breeze right through it, but throughout each individual world and while progressing through the songs (lady gaga is actually a bonus song, not required to progress), you really start to unravel Harmonix's vision of fantasia, with all the quirky little characters and setpieces each stage has to offer.

Now I can understand that for a rhythm game, the setlist is very important, but it feels like most people miss the point when it comes to this game, they come in with the expectation that either it should all be classical or disney movie related songs, and for some reason other licensed songs in the game is unwelcome (even though it's in the title "music evolved"), but who says fantasia can't feature Lady gaga or Imagine Dragons while capturing the same experience as classical songs? Hell, even the remix of those classical songs have things like rock versions or even chiptune, the variety of genres on top of genres, intermixing with eachother is a very unique experience.

This game is far from just another "mainstream music game", have no doubt that they wanted to go with several genres to expand the scope of the game, instead of staying with classical. Music gaming, dare I say it, Is a niche genre. Selling a classical rhythm game that requires a kinect (now unfortunately an additional accessory), will have terrible market appeal too.

Minus a couple songs I really like the musical lineup they've selected...

Bohemian rhapsody, rocket man, that flaming lips song are all some of my favorite nd we'll I enjoy "composing" the classical songs better I find remixing the newer songs to be more enjoyable.

Ohwiseone

I love this game so much, I've played a ton of it.

I think its hit the point with me when it's awesome. Radioactive is amazing, as is Night on Bald Mountain.

however, I have a question..

In the DLC..will they post more Classical Music, or is it just going to be more and more modern stuff. I don't mind anyway, I just couldn't find an answer.

Yeah, this game's amazing. Love when the notes/motions are lined up in a way that allow me to dance and do them at the same time, haha.

Hope the 9 people who watched me on twitch enjoyed my moves.

Alx

Yeah the more dramatic the postures, the better. Clench your fist, bend your knees, throw your head backwards... it's all in the drama. ^^
Although I'm fine with the wide range of musical styles in the game, I'd support more classical music too, because it works really well with the concept, most have good intensity and remix well in different styles (more Beethoven please).
But in the end whatever the style, anything "spectacular" would work.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Yeah, this game's amazing. Love when the notes/motions are lined up in a way that allow me to dance and do them at the same time, haha.

Hope the 9 people who watched me on twitch enjoyed my moves.

This game is great at getting twitch viewers for some reason (I think it's because of the lack of streamers, and a lot of people who came to my stream said "wow I want to buy this game now". It's free advertising for Harmonix :D

I was lurking a channel and happened to see this go down, it was a little weird >_>

edit: Also proud to see this, even though it's only tracking the people on TA (464 have this game right now) it's important to me damn it!

qHowOcf.png

I unlocked the "beet boxing" vegetables last night, but the stupid Content ID on thing caught that in the filter :(

I had an awesome beat going too, lol

Also, this review amuses me. I'm always surprised at how some people seem to try to judge Harmonix games as music tutorials first, as opposed to games first.

Alx

I'm even more surprised by the constant requests of having "more Disney music" in the game. The whole point of Fantasia was to have Disney characters associated to "real" music and not "Disney music". I don't even think there are many Disney musics that would fit the game, since they're not that orchestral (on the other hand they are perfect for Singstar). Even Sleeping Beauty is a waltz, so that would be quickly repetitive.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm even more surprised by the constant requests of having "more Disney music" in the game. The whole point of Fantasia was to have Disney characters associated to "real" music and not "Disney music". I don't even think there are many Disney musics that would fit the game, since they're not that orchestral (on the other hand they are perfect for Singstar). Even Sleeping Beauty is a waltz, so that would be quickly repetitive.

I don't know, there are fantastic Disney songs that could work great in this game. Be Our Guest or Circle of Life for example.

They need to have multi-track mixes available however and those might not exist for many Disney songs.

When you guys calibrate your Kinect what do you usually ensure is in view. For instance if someone tall is playing is it better to capture the complete arm span overhead or is it better to ensure the whole body (including feet) is in view at all times with arms going slightly out of the top?

I am trying to work out the best positioning possible. Distance we stand away is about 5-6 feet. Or do we need more distance?

EBE

When you guys calibrate your Kinect what do you usually ensure is in view. For instance if someone tall is playing is it better to capture the complete arm span overhead or is it better to ensure the whole body (including feet) is in view at all times with arms going slightly out of the top?

I am trying to work out the best positioning possible. Distance we stand away is about 5-6 feet. Or do we need more distance?

i have my kinect wall mounted, but during its set up i usually make sure my entire body is visible, overhead arm span and all - im 6 feet and stand about 8 feet away from the sensor. standing ~5 feet from the kinect works perfectly fine for me though. i just prefer standing farther back

EBE

thats pretty much it. dance central had an in game calibration where you clapped along to the beat - fantasia has something similar. to make sure your movements sync up with the music. theres the audio calibration as well. just crank your speaker/audio system as high as you can handle/think is necessary and youre done.

all in all, the new kinect has worked wonderfully for me. and fantasia makes excellent use of it. harmonix knows whats up. should have a review of the game soon.

dejay

Banned
Bought the game - is good. The demo sold me.

I've played a couple of hours and I've outright grinned in more than one occasion. Some of the variations in songs don't seem to gel, but some are fantastic.

Outside of OS stuff, this and Dance Central has made the Kinect a good inclusion with my launch console.

Game is still not out in Holland. Considering buying it on the Irish store, does anyone know what issues I might run into?

Shouldn't be any issues.

i have my kinect wall mounted, but during its set up i usually make sure my entire body is visible, overhead arm span and all - im 6 feet and stand about 8 feet away from the sensor. standing ~5 feet from the kinect works perfectly fine for me though. i just prefer standing farther back

Thanks, I'll maybe try creating a bit more distance to try and help it out, we got a TV mount which did help out compared to having it sat on the tv unit.

Maybe 6' is the limit as I am 6'2" and I definitely can't get my whole body in, my wife is 5'4" and well no troubles there! I'll try 6 feet away that might be the perfect distance.

jesu

Thanks, I'll maybe try creating a bit more distance to try and help it out, we got a TV mount which did help out compared to having it sat on the tv unit.

Maybe 6' is the limit as I am 6'2" and I definitely can't get my whole body in, my wife is 5'4" and well no troubles there! I'll try 6 feet away that might be the perfect distance.

Whole body in what?
It does the green floor thing, and that is it.
Where can you not get your whole body in?

When you see the room the Kinect sees as I am tall in order for it to see my feet and my hands when directly above my head I would have to move back in order for the Kinect to see the whole of my body.

So I was wondering if it is better for you hands to be cut off or your feet if you simply don't have the space. I am going to playa round with it a bit though and try and make a bit more space.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
When you see the room the Kinect sees as I am tall in order for it to see my feet and my hands when directly above my head I would have to move back in order for the Kinect to see the whole of my body.

So I was wondering if it is better for you hands to be cut off or your feet if you simply don't have the space. I am going to playa round with it a bit though and try and make a bit more space.

With this game in particular it doesn't need to see your feet. I've been playing with an ottoman in front of me which is up to about my knees and it has no problems.

With this game in particular it doesn't need to see your feet. I've been playing with an ottoman in front of me which is up to about my knees and it has no problems.

Yup, I agree. If you have to choose, lose the feet.

IIRC, there's also a seated mode you can turn on? Not at my Xbox so can't check, but I thought someone mentioned that on gaf before. That is something you could also try if it hates not seeing your feet for some reason.

Alx

IIRC, there's also a seated mode you can turn on? Not at my Xbox so can't check, but I thought someone mentioned that on gaf before. That is something you could also try if it hates not seeing your feet for some reason.

Yes it says to just sit and raise an arm to activate seated mode. I haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to work.

StudioTan

Yes it says to just sit and raise an arm to activate seated mode. I haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to work.

It probably would but I'd feel way to limited playing this sitting. I like to get into it LOL

Thanks got some time with this today and wow this game is good. Didn't want to stop playing. The starting songs are great to ease you in an the presentation of the game in general is great.

If there was one game that could really sell Kinect then this is it.

I also agree about standing/sitting. I tried playing sitting but it is far more engaging and fun standing up and doing the moves.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
I don't know if anyone has tried yet, but someone posting "lose the feet" reminds me: you can actually hit the cues with your feet if you wanted to. I particularly like kicking forward at the single instances of push cues, and kicking upwards to hit upward directional swipes.

It wasn't designed to be played that way, but you CAN, and is another example of how it was created to encourage expressiveness. And the first person to post a video of them playing and hitting two upward gestures with a back flip... wins? Something. I don't know what yet.

Sort of really jazzed to see how people choreograph their own "routines" to the motion suggestions we've given them!

Man, that Ashtar Command remix of "Some NIghts" is glorious. I don't love the ultra-mega reverb on the vocals, but the marching band style of the music is brilliant.

EBE

my review just went up. a little late i know, but
A superb audiovisual component combines with great gameplay to make Fantasia: Music Evolved a videogame experience like no other. Developer Harmonix have crafted what might be the best Kinect game ever.
this game has surprised me in all the right ways - playing it really does feel magical.

quick question for nicholasbrutal:
why did you guys decide to go with the old dance central 1-3 method of song selection when dance central spotlight used the push to accept "tiles" method? it threw me off for a second when i first encountered it. why not make the tiles universal?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played this for like three hours tonight. Crazy fun. I don't know how Harmonix does it but they always are able to be accessible and innovative. I'm not even one to go in and Perfect everything but I'm just such a huge fan of theirs and this game is kind of a perfect example of why. It's kind of too bad the cover is so boring looking and there's not much of a Disney presence in the game itself -- not because it has a negative effect on the gameplay or theme, but because I think those things might help get it on the radar.

Alx

Still in love with the game. At some point in the middle of a remix, I wasn't sure if I was playing "Hungarian Rhapsody" or "Tiger Rag". :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What input lag do people have set? I have -10.

Also your hand position doesn't really matter, just the movement right? Only ones I am having a hard time with are the multiple sweeps back and forth happening at the same time.

my review just went up. a little late i know, but

this game has surprised me in all the right ways - playing it really does feel magical.

quick question for nicholasbrutal:
why did you guys decide to go with the old dance central 1-3 method of song selection when dance central spotlight used the push to accept "tiles" method? it threw me off for a second when i first encountered it. why not make the tiles universal?

Maybe because this game also is for 360 and that kind of menú selection works better with the first kinect compared to the push to select?

Alx

What input lag do people have set? I have -10.

Also your hand position doesn't really matter, just the movement right? Only ones I am having a hard time with are the multiple sweeps back and forth happening at the same time.

I was using 0 for the demo, -10 felt more accurate during the calibration procedure of the full game but during gameplay it didn't feel right. I went back to 0 and it feels ok now, but I don't know how much of it is real and how much is placebo / getting better at the game.
The calibration test isn't really obvious to me, I thought the procedure in Dance Central Spotlight (clapping hands in rhythm) was easier to do. Not sure if it is more accurate though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was using 0 for the demo, -10 felt more accurate during the calibration procedure of the full game but during gameplay it didn't feel right. I went back to 0 and it feels ok now, but I don't know how much of it is real and how much is placebo / getting better at the game.
The calibration test isn't really obvious to me, I thought the procedure in Dance Central Spotlight (clapping hands in rhythm) was easier to do. Not sure if it is more accurate though.

Yeah I actually had the same feeling that the -10 in-game I have to swipe and hit just a little early.

Yeah, same here. During calibration -20 "looks" the most right, but feels totally wrong while playing (like I have to do the motions way before the graphics suggest I should). For playing, I actually have it set to +30

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Hey, out of curiosity, how many of you playing on Xbox One

1. Know you can save performances and upload them to YouTube from the game?
  2. Have figured out how to do that?
  3. Actually have done that?
  4. Actually care about doing that?

Top Bottom