• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantastic Beasts (2): Crimes of Grindelwald - MINOR SPOILERS

I personally liked it.
Almost fell asleep during the middle parts, but when the movie was finished I was asking for more.

Lh2cPmYl.jpg

SdH8NgCl.jpg

I imagine 3 possible responses based on your demographic.
I could be wrong so don't get upset if you disagree.

1. Casual Harry Potter fans will absolutely love this movie.
You are re-visiting Hogwarts, and that feels almost like going back home.
There is plenty of magic action.
Credence obtains even more destructive power.
Grindelwald's argument is seductive, much more so than Voldemort's.
The rewards are enough to merit repeated viewings.

2. Analytic/serious Harry Potter fans could hate the details in this movie.
There are some major retcons and contradictions against the established canon.

3. Movie buffs/critics and non-fans will hate the way this movie is put together.
Narrative tempo is inconsistent and things are happening all over the place,
It feels like a 10 episode material that has been turned into 2 hour movie.
It can get confusing to keep track of all incidents.

Also, the plot has too much shoe-horning and arbitrary details turning into a chain of events.

This movie doesn't have much to offer if you are not already in love with the Harry Potter movies.

But I'm a casual fan and I think I will watch it again before the year is over.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i was disappointed with it. might need to watch it again though.

i'm not a fan of what they did with credence and the bloodpact with dumbledore/grindelwald. i just feel like it shits on the books too much.

MC Safety

It was just a jumble, and too much setup for a reveal that wasn't all that shocking.

I know people like the main character, but I find it really hard to understand him. It's either his accent or low talking or he mumbles or any combination of the three.

Zewp

the books arent very good to begin with

The first 6 books weren't bad. It's only really the 7th that is bad and that's because Rowling shoehorned in a bunch of shit because she clearly didn't have a plan up-front for how to end the series.

Like the wandlore thing that just came practically out of nowhere, but had massive repercussions for the entire wizarding world.

AfricanKing

I wanted to see Dumbledore cut loose and show some Wizard Extravaganza .. nope the story gets locked down with some blood oath bullshit. Could have been a great film but they tried too hard to appeal to potter fans .

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Personally I loved it, just like the first one. They could have done with fewer subplots though and should have had more focus.

Liked how Grindelwald used WW2 as incentive to gain followers as it elevated him from this cardboard villain that's just bad for the sake of being bad. Can't wait to see where they go with the story from here on it.

Oh, and Law was perfect as Dumbledore. Wish he would have been more in the movies though.

Funny side note: When they established the WW2 connection and then switched to a location in Austria at the end of the movie I honestly though they're going to turn Credence into Hitler or something like that. lol

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What's the deal with that blood pact? They can't attack each other as long as it exists? But, didn't Dumbledore and Grindelwald have a three way duel with Aberforth in which Ariana died? How can Dumbledore and Grindelwald have had that fight that led to their breakup, if they already had a blood pact in place?

Did I miss something?

Ka-Kui

Didn't hate it. First movie was better.

This one was clearly just a set up movie for whatever comes next.

Just seen this. So glad I didn't waste my money on it. Padded snooze fest.

Literally 2 hours of a story line that could have been done in less than half the time. The final scene should have been around half way through the movie.

Early on I understand Rowling had this as a trilogy in mind but it's likely Warners begged her to stretch it to 5 movies. It all makes sense now.

Usual dull washed out, set mostly at night crappy direction by David Yates. Did they even bother to build many sets? Green screen city.

Paris never felt like Paris. Hogwarts was a disappointing cameo. So seeing as this didn't do as well as the last movie I expect they will add little Hogsmead and Diagon Alley scenes in the next movie, then use it front and center for the marketing.

The Crimes Of Grindelwald? He's barely in it enough to justify that title. The Crimes Of Green Screen is more appropriate title I think.

Because we know what happens to many of the main characters we once again head into twist territory. Meh.

For the first time JK Rowling is under pressure to delivery something more.....so should be interesting what the 3rd film will bring. Oh and please get rid of David Yates :messenger_sleeping:

Javthusiast

Banned
Yeah, at this point I don't know if stretching this universe out into another 5 movies was a good idea. I give the third movie a chance, but if it's like the second one or worse...

Top Bottom