• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 dated

dLMN8R said:
It's made by the same developer as Assassin's Creed, and so far it looks like it'll be adopting all of that game's problems too. Beautiful, competent technology with an at-best average game built on top of it.
Ubisoft Montreal hires like 1500 people I think. There might be a few AC people working on it- but the core team is entirely different people. It's a completely different engine.

I haven't played it but I think you're overstating the collecting and story progression- how could you really experience that in a demo at PAX?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Crysis Warhead, FarCry 2 and Gears of War 2. Those are my 3 candidates for shooter of the year, and the only shooters I'll get until Project Origin arrives.

dLMN8R

Visualante said:
Ubisoft Montreal hires like 1500 people I think. There might be a few AC people working on it- but the core team is entirely different people. It's a completely different engine.

I haven't played it but I think you're overstating the collecting and story progression- how could you really experience that in a demo at PAX?
About the story progression - you're right, I can't get an overall sense of how this will play out. I'm just going based on what every other open-world game has ever done. STALKER, Oblivion, and other games, it's almost always a case of go anywhere, do anything, ignore the main storyline. That's why I said it's questionable, not necessarily hopeless.

And about the fact that Ubisoft Montreal is huge, true, but I'd say it's fair to form gameplay impressions based on playing the game for a good 15-20 minutes. Especially when it comes to shit-tastic AI.

And no, the game's difficulty was not turned down for the show - it was set to "hardcore" - and no, it was not an old build of the game, with Ubisoft saying that it's near-complete.

Like I've said numerous times - hopefully, it comes out ok, but after playing it for 15-20 minutes and watching others play it for even longer, I'd rather be pessimistic and surprised than optimistic and disappointed.

Oreoleo

Farcry 2 is definitely near the top of my October purchase list (along with Dead Space and either Fable or Fallout). The open-world aspect of it has me very very intrigued :D

Nizz

godhandiscen said:
Crysis Warhead, FarCry 2 and Gears of War 2. Those are my 3 candidates for shooter of the year, and the only shooters I'll get until Project Origin arrives.
Yeah, I'm still bummed out that that game got delayed till Q1 09 :( But I'm actually looking forward to Far Cry 2. I enjoyed Far Cry Instincts on X-box (well, till later in the game when all the mutants started popping out). I'm hoping the PS3 version of this game is as tight as the 360 version seems to be (since the 360 version is pretty much the only console version you see previewed/demoed). My fps needs will be filled with Resistance 2, Far Cry 2, and Bioshock (PS3) till next year, when Project Origin and Killzone 2 are out. :D

CoilShot

Is the Collector's Edition UK only?

Ubisoft Confirms October 24th Release Date for Far Cry® 2 and Announces Collectors Editions Content

London, UK – September 05, 2008 – Today, Ubisoft announced that Far Cry® 2 will be released on October 24th throughout all EMEA territories on the 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows® PC.

“Far Cry® 2 is an amazing journey that will take you to the darkest places of Africa where each player will choose how they play. This will provide gamers with an unprecedented experience in the FPS genre”. John Parkes, EMEA Marketing Director.

To celebrate the release of Far Cry® 2, Ubisoft is happy to unveil the Far Cry® 2 Collectors’ Edition that will include:
- Exclusive wooden box
- Original Far Cry® 2 Game
- Limited edition Far Cry® 2 t-shirt
- “The Art of Far Cry® 2” Art book
- Collector 50km² map
- Making-of DVD

Far Cry 2 Collectors’ Edition is now available for pre-order at Game and www.game.co.uk

For more information, visit www.farcry2.com.

CoilShot said:
Is the Collector's Edition UK only?
Just a retailer exclusive in the UK. It's their new shtick, they'll stock less standard edition so if they sell out you pay more. Don't shop at GAME kids.

Fallout 3, Stalker, Command and Conquer and Brothers in Arms all upcoming victims of this strategy.

dLMN8R

I just read something else that's not so hot. There is a certain person on the IGN boards with verified industry contacts - he knows a few developers and has provided accurate behind-the-scenes information before. He has VIP status, which requires absolute proof of being in the industry, so this isn't some unreliable guy bull****ing for nothing. Anyway, here's what he recently posted about Far Cry 2:

"I can't wait until people/journalists discover the end-game problem this game has.... As psyched as I am for it, a game breaking design choice has existed since the beginning of the game's development, and persists to this day according to my sources. "

"I really can't go deeply into it... but there is a certain resource you NEED to survive in this game that eventually becomes denied to you if you piss off all the factions that can provide it. Later in the game, there are parts where this resource is simply unattainable... and it can all but break your game if you don't proceed very quickly. "

And in response to someone saying "if you play the game stupid, it's your fault!", he said this:

"Without delving in spoilers for an unreleased game... lets just say your logic falls apart when the lead designer says, "**** You" and forces you down a path where your choices meant nothing and you're forced to do things in a way which will damage your fun with the game. "

SupahBlah

Banned
Kimi said:
hehe

US - 10/21
EMEA territories except UK - 10/23
UK - 10/24

Was expected, in the UK all games are released on a Friday.

Only Halo 3 and GTA4 are the exception.

PC for me for Far Cry 2.

dLMN8R said:
About the story progression - you're right, I can't get an overall sense of how this will play out. I'm just going based on what every other open-world game has ever done. STALKER, Oblivion, and other games, it's almost always a case of go anywhere, do anything, ignore the main storyline. That's why I said it's questionable, not necessarily hopeless.
Yeah but that's what they're trying to do I think- you make your own narrative instead of being fed it. You have to kill the Jackal. The story is what happens between you, the factions and him. Check out the article on Gamasutra.

This game is being made in an office outside the main Ubisoft Montreal building apparently. So any comparisons you draw to AC are purely coincidental I'd say. I'm not trying to discredit you dude, I hope my posts haven't read like that- I'm not the kind of person who pulls cards like old build etc. I think it's quite probably that the AI sucked balls, just look at Stalker and I thought the leg medicine thing was a gimmick the first time I heard about it.
dLMN8R said:
"Without delving in spoilers for an unreleased game... lets just say your logic falls apart when the lead designer says, "**** You" and forces you down a path where your choices meant nothing and you're forced to do things in a way which will damage your fun with the game. "
So basically the malaria/equivalent tablets that you need to survive. If you can't get them you're fucked and it breaks your game before it's over.
I think it was a necessary design decision. In Spore Wright said you can make a monster without a mouth- but you can eat and then you die. Except in Spore you'll die in 20 minutes instead of spending 20 hours killing factions and you can't back up to a previous save. That would be a real piss off if you need to start over.. they'll just need to communicate that shooting everyone in the head is not a good idea early in the game.

Facism

SupahBlah said:
Was expected, in the UK all games are released on a Friday.

Only Halo 3 and GTA4 are the exception.

PC for me for Far Cry 2.

MGS4 was a thursday release.

Zzoram

Okay, I'm really concerned about the game breaking mechanic now. If it forces you to play faction plot elements a certain way to keep getting your medication, why even give you the option to do something else?

Zzoram said:
Okay, I'm really concerned about the game breaking mechanic now. If it forces you to play faction plot elements a certain way to keep getting your medication, why even give you the option to do something else?
All you have to do is make friends with the christian faction and they give you plenty because they dispense aid to people- however being friends with that faction might mean less good weapons as they're peace workers.. it's certainly prone to breaking. I really don't think it's going to be that hard to get medicine if you have at least one allied faction. However I'm not sure if the way you interact with factions has a knock on effect the supply of aid deliveries throughout the region, it could get very bewildering to certain gamers.

It seems like a very isolated situation you can get into- and as long as the designers communicate what the player is doing well then the player gets what they deserve if they 'piss off' every faction.

edit. Oh shit at Frenk's post.

Frenck

Banned
That's not a bug, it's a design choice.
They want you to feel like an outcast, they take your buddies and all your allies away and leave you on your own.
It was supposed to be the plot twist but I guess Ubi haters enjoy to spoil the game for everyone. Fucking dorks.

dLMN8R said:
Sure doesn't help my lack of confidence with this game after playing it for a while at PAX over the weekend.

-Crappy AI? Check
-Collectathons? Check
-Questionable story progression? Check
-"Immersive" features that happen way too often, make no sense, and end up being more annoying than anything? Check

Definitely waiting not just on reviews, but player comments too on this one. It's made by the same developer as Assassin's Creed, and so far it looks like it'll be adopting all of that game's problems too. Beautiful, competent technology with an at-best average game built on top of it.

Did you just call my Far Cry 2 ---- Crysis?

dLMN8R

VictimOfGrief said:
Did you just call my Far Cry 2 ---- Crysis?
So, so very wrong. I've played and beaten Crysis. I've played Far Cry 2 for a decent amount of time. Far Cry 2's AI is absolute trash.

Crysis' AI has problems - cloaking works a bit odd at times, helicoptors are all too smart - but on the whole, its AI is fantastic. Enemies run for cover intelligently. Enemies work together to smoke you out. They flank you, some have nanosuits and use them well against you, and more. All the while, they're navigating terrain filled with trees that have been dynamically knocked over, buildings that have been dynamically destroyed, taking place on levels that are very, very large.

The AI in Far Cry 2? They stand there and shoot. I kid you not. This was not an exception, it happens every single time. They stand there and shoot at you. No flanking, no taking cover, no demonstration of the slightest bit of intelligence. And that was with the difficulty set to "hardcore" on a near-complete build of the game. Like I've said, I hope they substantially improve it for the final game, and if they do, it will be so much better for it.

As for collectathons and annoying immersive factors? I don't know about you, but the Crysis I played didn't have any of that bullshit.

Gwanatu T

watkinzez said:
I might be in the minority, but I'm getting this over all the other shooters this year. Shaping up really well.

If I were buying anything else besides Fable 2 this year, I would have answered the same thing. Farcry Instincts was my favorite shooter of last gen overall, and everything I've seen of this game tells me it's even better (except the fact that I don't get feral powers, which were awesome).

Also, a wooden box? Dear heavens, that's sweet!

Top Bottom