• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

legacyzero

Banned
Spoiler Thread
Digital Foundry Faceoff Thread
Far Cry 3 PC performance thread
PC MODS LIST

otmaintransparentmdifp.png

Welcome to the Rook Islands. Filled with secrets, dangers, and wonder.
A lush playground of jungles, mountain ranges, swamps, and beautiful beaches.
But this ain't no vacation. You shouldn't have come here! Far away from civilization,
You are stranded in a land where there is no law, no rules, and caught in the middle
of a long running fight between the indigenous inhabitants and psycho warlords.
You are a simple man, out of your element, with a lack of skills in the most
unforgiving of places. You better learn quick, as the island will devour
you if you don't.

Explore and survive a large area filled with exotic, and predatory animals,
old war time bunkers, ancient temples, abandoned compounds, caves, and shipwrecks.

ibdVBi6z8WGfbd.png

A look at some of the PC graphics options.

story2mucu9.png

You came to the wrong island, BOY. You are Jason Brody, looking for thrills
with your friends. It seemed like a good idea at the time, coming to the Rook
Islands for a nice vacation. After an evening of partying with your buddies,
it all goes blank. When you awaken, you find yourself in captivity, face to face
with Vaas. One of the many insane men that run this island. He gives a speech
of insanity and control, and is suddenly called off by another man that seems
to be his boss. You and your friend figure out how to escape the cage. Vaas
finds out, and orders a man hunt. He wants your head. Find your friends,
avenge the ones he's killed, and LEAVE THIS PLACE!

gameplaywaemx.png

Far Cry 3 is an open world shooter same as Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 would arguably be called
a cult favorite that you either did, or didn't like. Mainly because it was a game (while
great in concept and scope) that was held back by some tough design choices such as malaria,
gun jamming, irritating checkpoints with re-spawning soldiers, etc. Far Cry 3 seems to
address all of this, and has either made the feature better, or removed it completely.
Some features of note:

No more re-spawning check points:

-Checkpoints are now areas that you can clear out and capture to make your own. Once captured
your friendly forces move in and it STAYS yours. The compromise is that soldiers will always
be patrolling with vehicles around the island, and will engage you. Be careful while clearing out
checkpoints though, because if the alarm is activated, enemy reinforcements will make things
difficult.

Stealth is now more realistic:
-In Far Cry 2, enemies can see you from miles away, through foliage even. Far Cry 3 dials this
back and makes stealth a lot more usable. Sneaking up behind enemies, take-downs, silenced weapons
and throwing rocks to distract enemies are all part of the stealth game-play now.

Assassins Creed-like map discovery:
-The Rook Islands are huge. But in order to discover objectives, locations, etc, you need
to climb radio towers to survey the land. Sadly, the great Far Cry 2 map system where you brought
up the map in your hands in real time is gone.

Crafting and Hunting:
-These two go hand in hand. Want a bigger wallet? Want to have more holsters to carry weapons?
You'll need to go hunting. Hunting for animal skins will allow you to craft these, and more items.
This feature is mandatory, as you don't seem to be able to simply purchase skins.

Weapon Degradation is out, XP is in:

-Weapons and XP are about as you would expect them. Completing objectives, and killing baddies
will net you XP that will lead to unlocking abilities via the games new Skill Tree-like
character progression.

Guns-A-Plenty!:
-6 Handguns, 5 SMGs, 3 RPG types, 3 Shotguns, 6 Assault Rifles, 3 Snipers, 5 LMGs, 4 Knifes,
and 4 Misc like Bows. Each customizable with tons of mods, skins, etc.

Mini-Games:
-Drinking games, Poker games, Races, Shooting Galleries, etc.

Buddy system is out
-This system from Far Cry 2 allowed you to recruit a character that acted as your "buddy", helping you
escape certain death when your health reached zero. Your vision would fade to black, but you would wake
up, supported by your buddy shouting encouraging words and carrying you out of danger's way. This system
is removed in Far Cry 3.

Minimalistic HUD is out, busy HUD is in
-In Far Cry 2, there were comparatively few visible HUD elements, and the map was represented by a real map
that you had to bring out and look at while your character held it in their hands. In Far Cry 3, this has been
replaced by a regular minimap, and the rest of the UI has XP and mission pop-ups, enemy and objective markers etc.

co-opr5c53.png

far-cry-3-co-op-chara2nfzh.png

The Captain of the cruise ship you're on just screwed you over, and ran off with the ship's
safe full of valuables! Chase him down, and take your revenge!

-4 Player Co-Op
-2 Player Split screen
-Six Chapters
-Your co-op and multiplayer unlocks will be shared in one unified profile. You'll be able
to manage your customized loadouts, skills, and weapons anytime in-game and through the web.

multiplayerlqep0.png

Four Multiplayer Modes:
-Team Death Match- Standard mode of kill every one on the other team.
-Domination- 3 Points placed in the map to capture and hold. The more points for the most time wins
-Firestorm-Burn the enemy supply depots to create a FireStorm. Then capture the radio to
fuel the fire
-Transmission- Capture and hold the active transmitters, A transmitter that is overheating scores
more points.

XP:
-Earn XP to unlock more guns, skills, team support, and equipment.
-Gain XP by killing, capturing objectives, tagging enemies, healing team mates, and using
Battle Cry.

Battle Cry:
-By simply pressing both sticks in simultaneously, all team mates within close proximity
will be endowed with special abilities like Higher maximum health, health regen, faster run speed,
less recoil and more.

Team Support (ScoreStreaks):
-Earning XP in matches can total up to earn these ScoreStreak-like Team Support attacks.
-There are 3 tiers of Team Support:

Team Support Tier 1:
Scouts – Sends a group of fighters in a helicopter to mark down enemy positions on the minimap
Decoy Scouts – Gets the airborne scout team to clutter the enemy’s map with false information

Team Support – Tier 2:
Poison Gas – Creates a gas cloud that poisons and soon kills anyone stupid enough to walk into it
Smoke Blast – Creates a thick cloud of smoke that obscures vision
Psyche Gas – Drops psychedelic gas that confuses the enemy so he can’t tell friend from foe

Team Support – Tier 3:
Barrel Bomb – Dumps oil barrels and a lighter from a plane, causing one hell of an explosion
Propane Dive - Drops propane tanks from a helicopter for a quick and dirty explosion
Bombshell – Deploys a big bomb with an even bigger explosion

Kill Camera:
This displays where you were killed, you see which angle the player was at and their location
and how you died, you can move the camera around and look from different views, it also displays
how close you were to killing the player if you landed any shots - Kill Cam can be turned on or off.

Tattoo Editor:
You can unlock tattoos by playing Single Player, and then apply these tattoos to your multiplayer

mapeditorm2da7.png

A basic editor for multiplayer maps. Create, Upload, Share, and host your maps with the community.
Maps are also rated by those that play it, so that you have physical feedback on your creation.
If your map is good, it may also be featured by Ubisoft themselves in the Ubi Recommended list.
(this is unconfirmed, but was in Far Cry 2) You will actually be able to see how many times your map
has been downloaded, and how many times it has been played.

Map Editor Features:

-Mold and shape terrain, give it textures such as sand, grass, gravel, etc.
-Use the collection system to easily place groups of trees, rocks, and bushes.
-Place over 1,000 different types item in your map, Move, and rotate on any axis.
-Place custom lighting
-Place Waterfalls, and bodies of water on different level of the terrain. You can even place
waterfalls and bodies of water that are filled with BLOOD! Also, you are able to change the
color of the water.
-Place spawn points, weapons, emplacements, and ammo dumps for all game modes.
-Place AI and Vehicles (these are DISABLED for Multiplayer and WILL NOT VALIDATE for
sharing with the community. Perhaps these will be patched in, or introduced in a
new game mode with DLC?
)
-Take a snapshot of your map before uploading it, so that the community can get a
glimpse of it prior to download.

A visual list of all the Map Editor items

Here is a deep list of the resources listed on the Ubi Forum by one of the mods

mediawji80.png

Review Thread: 8's, 9's, and 10's everywhere.

E3 2011 Ubi Conference Reveal: Introducing Vaas
Multiplayer Trailer
Stranded Trailer (WUB WUB WUB)
Meet Vaas and Buck
Top of the food chain
Meet Hoyt
E3 2012 Stage Demo (NSFW:painted boobies)
Weapons Trailer
Story Trailer
Tactics, Weapons, and Skills
The Far Cry Experience Starring McLovin!!
Wingsuit Gameplay (warning: awesome)
Multiplayer Interview: Firestorm footage
Map Editor Trailer

3avatar92uuy.jpg
knifeavatarvrufk.jpg
mclovinavatarp6ux0.jpg
vaasavatar281u2f.jpg
vaasavatar3aouya.jpg

vaasavatar4m3ukf.jpg
vaasavatarl4uhd.jpg
bunnyavatar5zuxx.jpg
freddiewongavatarexumz.jpg
hoytavatarxiupw.jpg

jasonavatar2auuf0.jpg
jasonavatar32uufv.jpg
jasonavatar5b9uro.jpg
jasonavatar1lurn.jpg

ibeWlj1YG7QhQ6.gif
iZQqSaYfwyikj.gif

iuJcEyG321Fax.jpg

This has been a legacyzero joint. Special thanks to Ironcreed and Messofanego for the OT title, and Radec for the OT advice, and Messofanego for the gifs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cant wait to play as a 20-something rich white American who saves those poor, improvised brown people from bad guys.

Derrick01

Banned
No gif of that stab a guy, grab his knife and fling it at another bro move? That's probably the greatest thing I've seen in this game yet.

Pranay

Nice Thread

Good reviews and a good ps3 version might lead day 1 buy :D

Also i must the game look amazing on PC :)

alterno69

Banned
So the PS3 is not shit? I'm selling my 360 and even tho i have a capable PC if the PS3 version is decent i might get it for it.

Squire

Banned
I cant wait to play as a 20-something rich white American who saves those poor, improvised brown people from bad guys.

Yeah, the things I've heard about the narrative are groan-worthy. Still glad to hear the gameplay is excellent. (More than I can say for Hitman.)

Pranay

So the PS3 is not shit? I'm selling my 360 and even tho i have a capable PC if the PS3 version is decent i might get it for it.

Someone posted a 45 min video of the PS3 Version.

It ran great [due to capture device their was tearing]

and also EG review was based on the ps3 version i think

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Not digging the OT title, but great OP.

Beaulieu

im taking one of these avatar.
nice ot. not a fan of the title ... and yes i know where its from.
also, where are the reviews man ?

legacyzero

Banned
im taking one of these avatar.
nice ot. not a fan of the title ... and yes i know where its from.
also, where are the reviews man ?
I just posted a link to the review thread in the media section.

I didn't want to put a bunch of reviews in the OT after all the crap with game-journo-gate lately.

And as far as the OT title goes, it was popular among a few gaffers, so I compromised lol.

Derrick01

Banned
Slick OT indeed. This game is going to be a special one.

Yup the reviews eased most of my fears on the game. I'm thankful for the delay now so I can wash the taste of Hitman out with this as the end of the year closer. I'd rather end on a (hopefully) positive note.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
oh god the chick has that stupid shaved sides thing going on

NBtoaster

I don't understand the thread title. I don't think there's sex in FC3 and it doesn't resemble any of the referenced games.

kurahador

Is there a comparison pics between ultra to Low/medium setting?
I remember the differences in Far Cry 1 was huge, hope that's not the case here.

elfinke

Like for many others I guess, this game went from not really on the radar to wow I'm really interested, based on that 45min Playstation preview video. Showed a lot of intriguing gamey elements, without too many contrived gamey sequences.

Nice opening post too!

My most anticipated game of the year, can't wait. I've got nothing else of substance to add, bring on Dec 4th!
Nice job with the OP, by the way. Concise and easy to read.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I don't understand the thread title. I don't think there's sex in FC3 and it doesn't resemble any of the referenced games.
NBtoaster pls.

There is some kind of sex scene in the game.

Edit: I gotta admit i'm not the biggest fan of the thread title either, should be something about Insanity or so. Anyway can't wait!

NBtoaster pls.

There is some kind of sex scene in the game.

Edit: I gotta admit i'm not the biggest fan of of the thread title either, should be something about Insanity or so. Anyway can't wait!

I'm a fan of short and to-the-point OT sub-titles, something simple like "Embrace the insanity" would have been great. Short OT titles are also easier to see when scanning down the thread list.

red731

Great OT, OP!
And no, I don't want to be in sand like you. But I wish I was there, on the island...and I'll be.

The reviews have confirmed what I've known all along...GOTY incoming!!!

Welcome to the jungle where we have murderous fun and psychotic games!

Nizz

Nice OT :) I'm giving my younger brother hints that if he can get me this as a Christmas gift. Would love to play this.

Thanks for using my gifs! Great job on the OT, very clean. Was there some OT manifesto made after all the insane image text and ad-like OTs? I'm the crazy person making most of the gifs (DennisK4 made one, and MRORANGE had a couple). Shark punching was my first gif of the game. If you want to see all of my gifs, here's a folder.

No gif of that stab a guy, grab his knife and fling it at another bro move? That's probably the greatest thing I've seen in this game yet.

How about I do you one better?

iPnrfk0tRI7Ba.gif

Also, crocodiles will sneak and fuck you up. Watch the ending of this video.

iq1M9Lf7fUbPq.gif

Top Bottom